LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-06, 12:22 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Monroe: Van Exel's ejection follows prior trouble with referee

Van Exel's ejection follows prior trouble with referee
Web Posted: 05/10/2006 12:51 AM CDT
Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

When referee Steve Javie tossed Spurs backup point guard Nick Van Exel on Tuesday night, it resumed a history of ill will between the two.

The low point in their relationship came in 2001. Then playing for the Denver Nuggets, Van Exel claimed that Javie called him a "miserable person" during a game in Milwaukee. He also claimed Javie cursed at him, using an expression unprintable in a family newspaper.

Van Exel made it relatively easy for Javie to eject him with 7:30 remaining in the second quarter Tuesday, throwing a towel after leaving the game and taking a seat on the bench. That brought a technical foul from Javie, Van Exel's second of the game.

Two technicals in a game automatically results in ejection, and Van Exel was on his feet and on his way to the Spurs' locker room before Javie finished making his "T" motion.

Van Exel's first technical came from complaining to Javie about a foul called on Tim Duncan, who was whistled for making what Van Exel believed was minimal contact on Mavericks forward Josh Howard.

The Duncan foul that earned Van Exel his first technical came with 8:35 left in the quarter.

It was clear Van Exel was still seething on the next two trips downcourt.

When Spurs coach Gregg Popovich removed him with 7:30 left, Van Exel expressed his outrage by throwing the towel. He did not throw the towel onto the court; rather, he tossed it to the baseline, with play taking place at the time at the far end of the court.

Javie had been eyeing Van Exel as he made his way to the bench, and when he threw the towel, the technical was immediate.

Van Exel was dressed and gone from the Spurs' locker room by the time the media was allowed inside.

He had, however, expressed previous frustration with Javie. After the incident in Milwaukee in 2001, Van Exel told the Denver Post that Javie "has been on me since I came into the league, basically."

"(Javie) has a grudge," Van Exel said then. "It's not fair that you pretty much know that before the game starts.

"You get into a situation where an official says something like that to me, and if I was saying something like that to him, I would be in trouble. I would get a technical. I would get thrown out of the game. But he comes up to me and tells me that 'You're a miserable person' and basically laughs in your face, and with a smirk, like 'You can't do anything about it.'"

Michael Finley, a teammate of Van Exel's for parts of two seasons in Dallas, said he did not know what it was that got Van Exel ejected.

"I don't even know how anything went down, to be honest with you," Finley said. "I turned around and he was walking out of the gym."

Finley said Van Exel had not mentioned past problems with Javie, either when the two played together in Dallas or at any point this season.

The loss of Van Exel likely had no impact on the game's outcome.

He missed his only shot in the five minutes he played and had one assist. He has made only 4 of 23 shots in the Spurs' eight playoff games.

Link

F Javie
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-10-06, 12:30 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraBC

F Javie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraBC

The loss of Van Exel likely had no impact on the game's outcome.

you can say taht again
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-10-06, 12:30 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

wow..what a ref that has personal problems with players

the NBA should be proud
Old 05-10-06, 12:37 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Can a ref be punished in any way? It seems like the players have a multiple of ways to get in trouble/thrown out but there doesn't seem to be much in the way of reprimanding a ref if something like this happens.
Old 05-10-06, 12:38 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Javie also has a problem with NBA mascots. The guy is a complete tool.
Old 05-10-06, 01:33 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
Can a ref be punished in any way?
The problem is that when a ref is punished (which is probably very rare) its all kept private, so in reality even though something was done it doesn't seem like it to the Players and fans because nobody knows what the punishment was, it could have been a fine it could have been them merely saying, that was a bad call and slapping them on the wrist. Until they make the refs punishments public, as they do with the coaches, GM's, owners, and players, then they will continue to seem like they can do what ever the hell they want to.

Come on Stern grow some damn nutz, and punish the refs publicly. If you have no problem embarrassing the players who make your league what it is. And you have no problem doing the same to coaches or owners, then why not hold your precious and horrible refs to the same public lashings you do to everyone else????? If not they will continue to smirk, think they can do no wrong, and the ones like Javie and Crawford will continue to have their ego's swell up daily.
Old 05-10-06, 01:36 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

F Javie, that dude is a clown......
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 05-10-06, 02:29 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo spur
The problem is that when a ref is punished (which is probably very rare) its all kept private, so in reality even though something was done it doesn't seem like it to the Players and fans because nobody knows what the punishment was, it could have been a fine it could have been them merely saying, that was a bad call and slapping them on the wrist. Until they make the refs punishments public, as they do with the coaches, GM's, owners, and players, then they will continue to seem like they can do what ever the hell they want to.

Come on Stern grow some damn nutz, and punish the refs publicly. If you have no problem embarrassing the players who make your league what it is. And you have no problem doing the same to coaches or owners, then why not hold your precious and horrible refs to the same public lashings you do to everyone else????? If not they will continue to smirk, think they can do no wrong, and the ones like Javie and Crawford will continue to have their ego's swell up daily.
this is will never happen...if it did, refs will come clean about how Stern has asked them to alter games.
Old 05-10-06, 02:30 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

NVE sucks

Mavs started their run after those two NVE Ts

Quote:
He has made only 4 of 23 shots in the Spurs' eight playoff games.
Terrible
Old 05-10-06, 03:43 PM
SpursReport Rookie

This is troubling. Pop also had to ask an assistant coach what he'd done to get thrown out. It was awfully far from the game action.

More troubling are the comments that Pat Riley made about Javie when Riley was coaching the Heat and they were not playing well. He said that Javie said to him during a game that Javie was happy that his team was doing so badly and that he didn't like Riley. I know Riley got fined, but I tend to think there was some truth to that and it is just troubling that the NBA would keep around an official that makes comments showing his bias to players and coaches. I would think they would mic him for a period to monitor him. Maybe they did, and he has cleaned up his act. But it really makes the credibility of the officiating questionable.

Last edited by testing123; 05-10-06 at 03:50 PM.
Old 05-10-06, 03:55 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by testing123
This is troubling. Pop also had to ask an assistant coach what he'd done to get thrown out. It was awfully far from the game action.

More troubling are the comments that Pat Riley made about Javie when Riley was coaching the Heat and they were not playing well. He said that Javie said to him during a game that Javie was happy that his team was doing so badly and that he didn't like Riley. I know Riley got fined, but I tend to think there was some truth to that and it is just troubling that the NBA would keep around an official that makes comments showing his bias to players and coaches. I would think they would mic him for a period to monitor him. Maybe they did, and he has cleaned up his act. But it really makes the credibility of the officiating questionable.
I had forgotten all about that. I'm no fan of Riley - but that is simply ridiculous.

At the very least - the NBA should consider keeping Javie from officiating a Nick Van Exel game.
Old 05-10-06, 03:57 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Couldn't Javie just have ejected Van Exel from Pop's rotation?

That would've been better.
Old 05-10-06, 04:04 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Who remembers the Jake O'Donnell-Clyde Drexler incident from 1995?
Old 05-10-06, 04:18 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

i thought that van exel was sooooo far away from javie that javie wasn't watching the game if he saw nick throw that towel down.

Dave McNulla
Spurs Fan

Tweet Me
Old 05-10-06, 05:23 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Javie was checking out where the TV camera's were pointed, he wanted to make sure his prissing and prancing with his "Pat Riley wannabe" hairstyle before the game got maximum exposure so when he went to visit the local g-y bar after the game with Mark Cuban, he would be gbed in the outhouse.
Old 05-10-06, 05:28 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I believe Javie hates Riley for Riley's slicked back hair is superior. Also, because people actually care about Riley.
Old 05-10-06, 07:02 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Has anyone here google-d Steve Javie's name. He's got a history like crazy. He's been tossing Nick Van Excel since he was at Denver and Portland. Riley hates him personally, the lakers hate him, if fact everything i read was negative. I looked up Eddie Rush's name, and only a few hits with nothing negative being said. Why is this guy still a ref?
Old 05-10-06, 07:06 PM
MomBear

Well I believe it all started when Nick pushed a ref (don't remember which one it was) on the scorers table.... that's also when other players started pushing, bumping, whatever else they did to the refs. So I can see why he would be targeted... but I will tell you this, I really thought he would melt down by the All-Star Game... Now I wish he would have so Pop wouldn't have to rely on him for the playoffs.
Old 05-10-06, 07:20 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
It's personal.
-- David Robinson

On his relationship with Steve Javie after Javie called a series of cheap fouls, eventually fouling Robinson out of a playoff loss against Utah in 1996.
Old 05-10-06, 07:23 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McNulla
i thought that van exel was sooooo far away from javie that javie wasn't watching the game if he saw nick throw that towel down.
From what I read and saw, play was continuing on the other side of the court when Nick sat down and threw a towel on the floor (not on the court) when Javie gave him the second technical. Javie had no business watching Nick at our bench when play was continuing on the other side of the court.

That being said, Nick is better off being our cheerleader from the bench than on the court for now. We complained way too much during the game. Not that the calls/no calls were fair, but we let the refs get in OUR heads. Always a bad mistake.
Old 05-10-06, 07:49 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Heaven help us, if the Spurs ever have a playoff game where BOTH Steve Javie and Jack Nies are in the officiating crew. Might as well call it a night.
Old 05-10-06, 07:50 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Nies has NOT officiated a Spurs playoff game yet. I shudder to think when we will have to see him.
Old 05-10-06, 11:27 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousspirit
Nies has NOT officiated a Spurs playoff game yet. I shudder to think when we will have to see him.
CRAP -- he's probably due to ref in Dallas ...
Old 05-11-06, 01:26 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzG
wow..what a ref that has personal problems with players

the NBA should be proud
Same type of grudge that Nies has with Timmy..... It is a sad commentary on the NBA's referees. You're right, the NBA should be bustin' their buttons because they are so proud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossu
Heaven help us, if the Spurs ever have a playoff game where BOTH Steve Javie and Jack Nies are in the officiating crew. Might as well call it a night.
Yep...just cry "uncle" and go home. It would take an hour per period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousspirit
From what I read and saw, play was continuing on the other side of the court when Nick sat down and threw a towel on the floor (not on the court) when Javie gave him the second technical. Javie had no business watching Nick at our bench when play was continuing on the other side of the court.

That being said, Nick is better off being our cheerleader from the bench than on the court for now. We complained way too much during the game. Not that the calls/no calls were fair, but we let the refs get in OUR heads. Always a bad mistake.
Javie knows exactly what he is doing. And he has such a Godlike complex, that he actually gets off on it. The Spurs should have gotten pissed, moved their feet, and make the Mavs pay.....but no, they rolled over and whined and complained. Hopefully, that will all be gone in game three and they will be all business. (I would love cold and calculating.)
Old 05-11-06, 08:00 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I think this is bunk, and that NVE is a dreadful bust. The Spurs do not get into tirades with officials. Even if you've got reason, it tends to get you absolutely nowhere.

Quote:
He has made only 4 of 23 shots in the Spurs' eight playoff games.
Forget about prior troubles with the Zebras, and concentrate on playing better - if you still can.
Old 05-11-06, 08:05 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Responding to the two posters about the spurs losing focus because of Javie and I have to say that I agree. Its also important to note that everybody has a breaking point that there is only so much you can take individually of bs continuing to happen all the time espescially with the bad refs and the spurs just snapped in this instance. I don't think it will happen again but remember they are only human and are prone to lose their temper every now and then.
Old 05-11-06, 08:11 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSlicer
Responding to the two posters about the spurs losing focus because of Javie and I have to say that I agree. Its also important to note that everybody has a breaking point that there is only so much you can take individually of bs continuing to happen all the time espescially with the bad refs and the spurs just snapped in this instance. I don't think it will happen again but remember they are only human and are prone to lose their temper every now and then.
Yep. Good post. I am glad that this happened now and not later in the playoffs. The Spurs gave themselves an excellent reminder NOT to allow the refs to get into their heads. The officiating may stink, but the Spurs still have to stay focused on their goal. There are more games to be played and I think that the Spurs will not let the officiating affect their focus or determination from here on out.
Old 05-11-06, 09:48 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
I think this is bunk,
what? that NVE and Javie dont have a history? They do..and it happened way before the Spurs. Javie is an ass. if DROB can have a personal issue with him anyone can
Old 05-11-06, 10:55 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Nies, Baveda and Javie. All NBA

That game would seriously suk!