News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-06, 09:22 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Disgruntled Mavs' fans are delusional

A co-worker of mine here in Dallas claimed the Mav's were IN CONTROL until Bruce's three with a little over 2 minutes left in the game!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-08-06, 09:23 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Um, they were in control of that game till about that point.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-08-06, 09:41 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

"We were in control the whole game, up until the point where we lost it."
Old 05-08-06, 09:43 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

No -- it was as I thought it would be -- a very close game all the way. It's just that the Spurs executed a bit better in the last 3 minutes than the Mavs did. I say "a bit" because I wouldn't call it good execution... just good enough. The Mavs really just were dominated by the Spurs defense in the last 3 minutes. The Spurs offense was not very good but the defense won the day.
Old 05-08-06, 09:44 AM
SpursReport Team Member

In the second half, no one was really in control, but the Spurs had the lead through the entire 4th, so its hard to say that the Mavs were in control.
Old 05-08-06, 09:47 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I wouldn't go so far as to say the Mavs were "in control", but if I were a Mavs fan I'd definitely feel like they let one get away.

This is what it came down to...one team knew how to win, the other didn't.
Old 05-08-06, 09:48 AM
Delusional Manu Lover

Speaking of Mavs fans........are there any in this forum? Who are they????

"He said, 'Go for every pump fake,' " Hibbert said.
Old 05-08-06, 09:49 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

The three saddest words in the English language:

COULDA
WOULDA
SHOULDA
Old 05-08-06, 09:52 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

The Spurs outscored the Mavs by eight points in the second half. They lost control of the game WAY before Bruce's shot.
Old 05-08-06, 10:13 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoMamaIsCallin
The three saddest words in the English language:

COULDA
WOULDA
SHOULDA
Obviously, they do not teach very well in Austin, As those are not english words. Could have, should have and would have are. Sad case of poor learning.
Old 05-08-06, 10:15 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwscpa
Obviously, they do not teach very well in Austin, As those are not english words. Could have, should have and would have are. Sad case of poor learning.

Lame Mavs fana
Old 05-08-06, 10:16 AM
SpursReport Team Member

We led for most of the 1st Q, it was tight most of the 2nd until the last three minutes and we won both the 3rd and 4th quarters.. I don't think Dallas every had control of the game..

gwscpa, that was an idiot's reply. go somewhere else if your going to post like that.
Old 05-08-06, 10:28 AM
SpursReport Rookie

"IF"

Well, "IF" my aunt had balls, she would be my uncle.

Sincerely,
A Non-Disgruntled Spurs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by To be named later
"And if we had not lost control of the game, then we would have won.
It is really that simple."

Sincerely,
Disgruntled Mavs Fan
Old 05-08-06, 10:31 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:

I'm gonna (oh excuse me GOING TO) take that as an ironically humorous post. Because if your (oh excuse me YOU'RE) serious, that's sad.
Old 05-08-06, 10:35 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Location: Bangalore - Silicon Valley East - Ex hyderabd, Cupertino/CA & Campinas Brazil, Houston and SanAntonio

Whoever won was in control of the game - is that so hard for the Mavs fans to understand?
Old 05-08-06, 10:45 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Well given that they led most of the game...?
Old 05-08-06, 11:02 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

This game was never firmly "controlled" by either team. It was a tight game that could have gone either way. It came down to execution on a few plays down the stretch...something the Spurs excel at.

Perhaps it seemed, to some, like -allas controlled the game because they played to their capabilites but, other than Duncan and Bowen, the SPurs seemed a bit fatigued. Despite this the Spurs hung tight... closed the gap with a strong third quarter, and ultimately imposed their will in the end (typical of the Spurs this season).

This game was -allas's best shot at taking one on the Spurs home court and they came up short. This does not bode well for -allas at all.
Old 05-08-06, 11:13 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Well, I think I've finally "decoded" why they are called the "MAVS":

"M"ark
"A"nother
"V"ictory for the
"S"purs
Old 05-08-06, 11:14 AM
SR's Resident Laker Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R
Well given that they led most of the game...?
Com'on JR. I'm kind of surprised at that response.

Well given......who had five days of rest? Ample preparation time? Knows the Spurs system as well as any team?

All we've heard for the SAC series was how this team is limping, not your typical 1-8 seed, bad match ups, "oldest team in the NBA" blah blah blah which were true, it was a tough demanding series yet who flew into SA after the Mavs arrival, played less than 36 hours later and IMO struggled during the Mavs game yet Tim and crew prevailed at the end.

This was Dallas' best shot with no excuses to steal a home game and they knew it. They lost. That's the real story and the simple realization is slowly sinking end to Mav fans.

Bottom line team with the most points win, nevermind the time or period of the game when you achieve it.

Dallas ain't got it and Dirk's press conference after the game demonstrated all too well that he won't be the one to do it. Dallas fans should be worried.
Old 05-08-06, 11:16 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Is that the best you got? I coulda done better.

Hey Crawford! This is for you!!

Old 05-08-06, 11:17 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Star Leeroy

"M"ark
"A"nother
"V"ictory for the
"S"purs
The Jumbotron showed a fan whose sign had a pretty good acronym:

The San Antonio Spurs [will]

Make
Avery
Very
Sad
Old 05-08-06, 11:17 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:

"M"ark
"A"nother
"V"ictory for the
"S"purs
put a Go in front of that!
Old 05-08-06, 11:22 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWest
Com'on JR. I'm kind of surprised at that response.

Well given......who had five days of rest? Ample preparation time? Knows the Spurs system as well as any team?

All we've heard for the SAC series was how this team is limping, not your typical 1-8 seed, bad match ups, "oldest team in the NBA" blah blah blah which were true, it was a tough demanding series yet who flew into SA after the Mavs arrival, played less than 36 hours later and IMO struggled during the Mavs game yet Tim and crew prevailed at the end.

This was Dallas' best shot with no excuses to steal a home game and they knew it. They lost. That's the real story and the simple realization is slowly sinking end to Mav fans.

Bottom line team with the most points win, nevermind the time or period of the game when you achieve it.

Dallas ain't got it and Dirk's press conference after the game demonstrated all too well that he won't be the one to do it. Dallas fans should be worried.
I'm not making excuses for their loss, I'm just saying they did control most of the game if only in terms of having the lead. We played from behind all the way until the fourth quarter, and that 3 by Bruce at 1:30 is the score we won by.
Old 05-08-06, 11:22 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I don't think anyone is saying that this series is over. In fact, it would not surprise me too much if Dallas ended up winning it. They are a good quality team. However, I still expect the Spurs to win in 6-7 games.
Old 05-08-06, 11:41 AM
Moderator & Chatroom Greeter

Quote:
Originally Posted by To be named later
"And if we had not lost control of the game, then we would have won.
It is really that simple."

Sincerely,
Disgruntled Mavs Fan

PS: is Disgruntled Mavs Fan up for any chat appearances?
[email protected]
Old 05-08-06, 11:43 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R
I'm not making excuses for their loss, I'm just saying they did control most of the game if only in terms of having the lead. We played from behind all the way until the fourth quarter, and that 3 by Bruce at 1:30 is the score we won by.
Having a small lead is not equivocal to controlling the game (unless said lead is maintained for 48 minutes ).

If the MAvs had been up by 10 points for 3/4 of the game I might buy that as 'controlling' the game for that period. Being up by a basket or two is, to reasonable people, not 'controlling' the game...especially when Duncans mincing your interior and Bowens punkin' your best player..
Old 05-08-06, 11:51 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernatural Anesthetist
Having a small lead is not equivocal to controlling the game (unless said lead is maintained for 48 minutes ).

If the MAvs had been up by 10 points for 3/4 of the game I might buy that as 'controlling' the game for that period. Being up by a basket or two is, to reasonable people, not 'controlling' the game...especially when Duncans mincing your interior and Bowens punkin' your best player..
AGREED!

Old 05-08-06, 11:51 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

That's what the Spurs would want to do; if the Mavies have "control" (hehe) of the game but the Spurs are still in it (so to speak), the Spurs will want to take over the control of the game at the end and get the W. They do it with stellar Defense.
Old 05-08-06, 12:07 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
In fact, it would not surprise me too much if Dallas ended up winning it.
? That would be a pretty big suprise. Dallas just isnt a better team than the Spurs and them beating SA 4 times in just 7 games would be pretty suprising...actually they now need 4 wins out of the next 6.
Old 05-08-06, 12:17 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzG
? That would be a pretty big suprise. Dallas just isnt a better team than the Spurs and them beating SA 4 times in just 7 games would be pretty suprising...actually they now need 4 wins out of the next 6.

Maybe on a frigid day in Hell.

My impression from the Mavs team is that they don't really think they can do it. My sense is, opposite of the Sacto series, this series will get easier with every win.
Old 05-08-06, 12:25 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Leading by -1 to 5 points most of the game does not "in control" mean.

YodaSpur
Old 05-08-06, 12:29 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:

That's really true. It was the Mavs best shot to win one in SA. Game 2 will be even harder than game 1. It will be interesting to see what adjustments AJ makes.
Old 05-08-06, 12:42 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
That was one game, this series is not over. We need to think with our minds not our hearts. I would love the Spurs to win, in fact I expect them to. But just as the Spurs have always done, we can't get too high after a win or too low after a loss. It is all about the next game. We need to play the second game as if we lost the 1st one, with urgency, focus, determination and hustle.

Dallas is a quality club. As I said, I don't expect they will beat us, but I also would not be too surprised if they did. They are the #3 team in the entire league right now behind Detroit and us.

Last edited by liquidsky; 05-08-06 at 12:44 PM.
Old 05-08-06, 01:00 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
That was one game, this series is not over.
didnt say it was but I would at least consider it a suprise if Dallas suddenly beat SA 4 times in the next 6 games. That just shouldnt happen unless SA just falls apart or has an injury. I dont think Dallas is a better team than SA and better teams win 7 game series

Quote:
We need to think with our minds not our hearts
well what we think has nothing to do with the team so it doesnt matter really. SA will be focused on game 2 and only thinking of that. Fans dont have to be
Old 05-08-06, 01:03 PM
SpursReport Team Member

DizzG, I agree. Maybe its just me, but the Mavs still scare me.

It is ashame though that one of these teams (Dallas or SA) will be gone after this round. What a disgrace.

We should be playing the Clips and the Mavs should have the Suns.
Old 05-08-06, 01:05 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
didnt say it was but I would at least consider it a suprise if Dallas suddenly beat SA 4 times in the next 6 games. That just shouldnt happen unless SA just falls apart or has an injury. I dont think Dallas is a better team than SA and better teams win 7 game series

well what we think has nothing to do with the team so it doesnt matter really. SA will be focused on game 2 and only thinking of that. Fans dont have to be

Bring on Detroit!!!
Old 05-08-06, 03:46 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
I agree with this -- I thought game 1 was a must for the Mav's to take it to 7 this year, and quite plausibly the most winnable game they'll play in San Antonio. The realization that the very Big Task had become the practically Insurmountable Task had fully sunken in only seconds after Stackhouse inexplicably passed up an open 15 foot.

I thought the Mavs played some really good D down the stretch, and I was happy but not surprised to see them out rebound the Spurs by a fair margin. I really like the strides they've made in the last year towards becoming a more complete team, and they've showed those improvements thus far in the playoffs.

But as for the rest of this series....The mavs will do some things better than last night, free throws for instance, and both Dirk and Terry will have better games.....but then again I don't expect the Spurs to be quite so inept from the 3 going forward (save of course the bookend 3s in game 1, Horry's opener and that other shot near the end), nor will both Ginobilli and Parker shoot under 40% again, etc....

I can easily see my Mavs winning two out of the next five, or maybe 3, but 4 out of the next 6? ....

....well, maybe if the Spurs kick in a couple of absolute dogs like they did in games 2 and 4 against the kings, but I don't expect them to play that poorly again.

anywho...entertaining game on Sunday, I hope to see a minimum of six more like it.

Cheers
Old 05-08-06, 05:27 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamenos
I agree with this -- I thought game 1 was a must for the Mav's to take it to 7 this year, and quite plausibly the most winnable game they'll play in San Antonio. The realization that the very Big Task had become the practically Insurmountable Task had fully sunken in only seconds after Stackhouse inexplicably passed up an open 15 foot.

I thought the Mavs played some really good D down the stretch, and I was happy but not surprised to see them out rebound the Spurs by a fair margin. I really like the strides they've made in the last year towards becoming a more complete team, and they've showed those improvements thus far in the playoffs.

But as for the rest of this series....The mavs will do some things better than last night, free throws for instance, and both Dirk and Terry will have better games.....but then again I don't expect the Spurs to be quite so inept from the 3 going forward (save of course the bookend 3s in game 1, Horry's opener and that other shot near the end), nor will both Ginobilli and Parker shoot under 40% again, etc....

I can easily see my Mavs winning two out of the next five, or maybe 3, but 4 out of the next 6? ....

....well, maybe if the Spurs kick in a couple of absolute dogs like they did in games 2 and 4 against the kings, but I don't expect them to play that poorly again.

anywho...entertaining game on Sunday, I hope to see a minimum of six more like it.

Cheers

Good post from a Mavs fan. Well grounded, realistic, a refreshing change.
Old 05-08-06, 05:54 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
The realization that the very Big Task had become the practically Insurmountable Task had fully sunken in only seconds after Stackhouse inexplicably passed up an open 15 foot.
Exactly, and well put. The overall stats are something like 80% of teams that win game 1 go on to win the series. Makes sense, since the opponent's task is now to win 4 out of 6, which is 2 out of each 3, which is actually pretty hard to do twice in a row.

What's your theory on Stackhouse? I played back the recording a few times today. He had a very clear path to a 2-point shot of 10 feet or less. He very clearly and deliberately passed that up to get back behind the 3-point line.

Here are the possibilities I can think of:

(1) He just wanted to be the hero. He thought he could make a 3 and win it at the buzzer.

(2) He was thinking strategically, and decided it was a better play to go for the win, because their chances in OT on the road were not good.

(3) His coach told him to. (This seems to be contradicted by what Avery said in the post-game.)

(4) He actually thought they needed a 3 to tie.

I go for (1) or (4). They fit better with Stack's personality and brain.
Old 05-08-06, 06:06 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Good post from a Mavs fan. Well grounded, realistic, a refreshing change.
well....it ain't much of reach. In re your earlier comment
My sense is, opposite of the Sacto series, this series will get easier with every win.
This, in contrast, is a quite a reach...

....since when are Bonzi Wells and Ron Artest such character guys?

...and....the mavs are a team that routinely shows remarkable resolve. They didn't give up in the Rocket's series last year and they went down swinging against the Suns. At one point very late in this season they were something like a ridiculous 12 - 12 in games where they trailed by 10 points at one time or another -- it was the craziest damm stat I've ever seen -- they were a 500 team in games where they spotted the other team at least ten points.

....by the end of march they were so banged up that they were heavily relying on two NBD Leaguers, a 3rd string center from congo who's hardly ever played organized ball before now, and a 38 year old 3rd string point guard....they still managed to keep their heads above water during that time. Dirk in particular played his ass off during that stretch, otherwise Dallas would have gone 0-for-March.

point being, the mavericks problem is not that they give up when their down, it's that they get down too often in the first place, like they are now.

So...I think the Spurs will win the series, but it ain't going to be easy and they won't win it if they dog it like they did against the Kings.

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoMamaIsCallin
What's your theory on Stackhouse?
someone slipped some crack into his chewing gum.

Either that or somewhere between ginobilli breaking up the pass and him hauling in the moderately lose ball, he forgot that the Mavs trailed by two and not 3....(4), IOW.

cheers
Old 05-09-06, 01:23 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:

Cheers
embrace the light that is spurs worship my friend. we need more sound spurs posters.
Old 05-09-06, 06:42 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:

"M"ark
"A"nother
"V"ictory for the
"S"purs
Sounds good to me
Old 05-09-06, 12:05 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingal berry
embrace the light that is spurs worship my friend. we need more sound spurs posters.
Indeed you do - I had hoped to find a little intelligent commentary on the Spurs -- something from someone who follows the team closely but isn't a TNT analyst.....

but mostly just a bunch of trash talkers here....probably a lot of folks that've been diehard Spurs fans since about May of 1999....

anywho....this guy seems to have a pretty good take on things, and I'll probably just follow him through the series.

http://www.poundingtherock.com/

cheers
Old 05-09-06, 12:07 PM
Delusional Manu Lover

Quote:
Indeed you do - I had hoped to find a little intelligent commentary on the Spurs -- something from someone who follows the team closely but isn't a TNT analyst.....

but mostly just a bunch of trash talkers here....probably a lot of folks that've been diehard Spurs fans since about May of 1999....

anywho....this guy seems to have a pretty good take on things, and I'll probably just follow him through the series.

http://www.poundingtherock.com/

cheers
Go Spurs Go!!!

Cheers

Old 05-09-06, 01:24 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
well....it ain't much of reach. In re your earlier comment
My sense is, opposite of the Sacto series, this series will get easier with every win.
This, in contrast, is a quite a reach...

....since when are Bonzi Wells and Ron Artest such character guys?

...and....the mavs are a team that routinely shows remarkable resolve. They didn't give up in the Rocket's series last year and they went down swinging against the Suns. At one point very late in this season they were something like a ridiculous 12 - 12 in games where they trailed by 10 points at one time or another -- it was the craziest damm stat I've ever seen -- they were a 500 team in games where they spotted the other team at least ten points.

....by the end of march they were so banged up that they were heavily relying on two NBD Leaguers, a 3rd string center from congo who's hardly ever played organized ball before now, and a 38 year old 3rd string point guard....they still managed to keep their heads above water during that time. Dirk in particular played his ass off during that stretch, otherwise Dallas would have gone 0-for-March.

point being, the mavericks problem is not that they give up when their down, it's that they get down too often in the first place, like they are now.

So...I think the Spurs will win the series, but it ain't going to be easy and they won't win it if they dog it like they did against the Kings.

Cheers
I never said Bonzi and Artest had character... I just don't feel Dallas has a matchup advantage that they can exploit like Sacto did with Bonzi (who did display alot of 'moxie').

I question wether all the players on the Mavs, if taken down 2 games, would really believe enough for them to play with the confidence needed to keep from folding. We'll see.

Dallas is a good team...they are scrappers...they can win often against equivocal or lessor teams. I just don't think they are at the Spurs level yet..and I'm not sure THEY really believe it. They have plenty of time to prove me wrong and I am quite willing to eat my share of crow should they pass me a serving.
Old 05-09-06, 02:15 PM
SpursReport Rookie

no doubt, living in dallas you have to hear it all year while they are putting up ungodly offensive numbers, which this year have been down, and how their defense is better than ever. the last time i checked it was 7, which was as high as its been in the last what ummmm 20 yrs. the spurs are continually up there in d never falling below 3 and have one of the best records in bball the past 5 years. oh yeah and let us not forget they have won 3 championships in 7 years.
its actually comical for me now to hear mavs fan say this year is the year because every year all that means is that its the year the spurs get to punk them again!!!!
Old 05-09-06, 02:18 PM
Delusional Manu Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjimenez
no doubt, living in dallas you have to hear it all year while they are putting up ungodly offensive numbers, which this year have been down, and how their defense is better than ever. the last time i checked it was 7, which was as high as its been in the last what ummmm 20 yrs. the spurs are continually up there in d never falling below 3 and have one of the best records in bball the past 5 years. oh yeah and let us not forget they have won 3 championships in 7 years.
its actually comical for me now to hear mavs fan say this year is the year because every year all that means is that its the year the spurs get to punk them again!!!!
Shhh!!!! Don't say that....you might hurt their peelings!!!!!

Old 05-09-06, 03:00 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
I just don't feel Dallas has a matchup advantage that they can exploit like Sacto did with Bonzi (who did display alot of 'moxie').....they can win often against equivocal or lessor teams. I just don't think they are at the Spurs level yet..and I'm not sure THEY really believe it.
I'll grant you that overcoming a homecourt disadvantage and a one game deficit to a 63 win team comprised of very experienced and proven playoff players is a monumental task. But to think that the '06 Mavericks are laydown team, and might pose less of a challenge to the Spurs than the Kings.....

Bonzi averages 23 and 12, and you argue that Sacto was competitive because they had this great exploitable mismatch....at the same time you think San Antonio is a lock for an easy romp because Bowen owns Nowitzki, where "owning Nowitzki" means he only got 20 pts and 14 rebounds in game 1?

and I'm to understand that you're serious about this argument?

and...

....the mavs can win against "equivocal or lessor teams", but presumably not against the best teams in the league??? Do you have any basis in reality for saying this or do you just pull this stuff out of your arse? I'll take the Mavs performance against the Pistons this season over the spurs performance against the piston in a heartbeat....and for chrissake, the mavericks lost as many games this year to the Golden State Warriors as they did to the Pistons, Spurs and Heat Combined!

cheers
Old 05-09-06, 03:07 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
I'll grant you that overcoming a homecourt disadvantage and a one game deficit to a 63 win team comprised of very experienced and proven playoff players is a monumental task. But to think that the '06 Mavericks are laydown team, and might pose less of a challenge to the Spurs than the Kings.....

Bonzi averages 23 and 12, and you argue that Sacto was competitive because they had this great exploitable mismatch....at the same time you think San Antonio is a lock for an easy romp because Bowen owns Nowitzki, where "owning Nowitzki" means he only got 20 pts and 14 rebounds in game 1?

and I'm to understand that you're serious about this argument?

and...

....the mavs can win against "equivocal or lessor teams", but presumably not against the best teams in the league??? I'll take the Mavs performance against the Pistons this season over the spurs performance against the piston in a heartbeat....and for chrissake, the mavericks lost as many games this year to the Golden State Warriors as they did to the Pistons, Spurs and Heat Combined!

cheers
I never said the Spurs would win because Bowen owned Nowitzki.
Do you have any basis in reality for saying this or do you just pull this stuff out of your arse?

I am quite serious about this debate.

I never said the Mavs couldn't win against the best teams...I implied they do not do it often. When did they last knock off a top 3 seeded team in the play-offs?

Last edited by Supernatural Anesthetist; 05-09-06 at 03:11 PM.
Old 05-09-06, 03:12 PM
Delusional Manu Lover

Quote:
....the mavs can win against "equivocal or lessor teams", but presumably not against the best teams in the league??? Do you have any basis in reality for saying this or do you just pull this stuff out of your arse? I'll take the Mavs performance against the Pistons this season over the spurs performance against the piston in a heartbeat....and for chrissake, the mavericks lost as many games this year to the Golden State Warriors as they did to the Pistons, Spurs and Heat Combined!

cheers
And I'll take the Spurs 3 rings to the mavs zero any day of the week and twice on Sunday! Ahh.....Snap......there he goes again....it always comes back to that!

Cheers