News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 05-08-06, 08:49 AM
SpursReport Team Member

UGLY, Mavericks got no alibi

Here's an article from the same guy that wrote this junk (Dallas: "That's more than a first-round push the Kings are giving the Spurs") a week ago.

LINK

SAN ANTONIO - Quick, someone wake up Dirk, and tell him the Mavericks aren't in Memphis anymore.

All those easy shots, all those points way back in April, suddenly and expectedly became a distant memory here Sunday.

As the NBA playoffs opened Round Two, the long-awaited, much anticipated postseason confrontation with the Spurs became an immediate struggle for Mr. Nowitzki.

It's been known to happen. Something about Bruce Bowen crawling up inside Dirk's jersey and head.

That's why the Mavericks usually don't beat San Antonio, and didn't again in an ugly Game 1, losing 87-85.

But remember -- ugly is the Spurs' best friend. And in any matchup against Dirk, so is the defensive work of Bowen, who was just drilled by the Kings' Bonzi Wells as San Antonio struggled to win that series.

"I'm not going to get any open looks in this series. I know that," Nowitzki said afterward, which is kind of a scary, if you're a Mavs' fan, admission about the work of Bowen.

In a collective second half of ineptitude (after a six-point intermission lead of 52-46), the Mavericks scored just 33 points in the final two quarters, hitting 12 field goals in 24 minutes.

Some will call it trademark defense from the Spurs.

Avery Johnson said you could, or "we've got to get a lot better on offense," he added. "It was probably a combination of both."

But when Dirk goes 3-of-11 in the second half, the Mavericks are basically doomed.

Then throw in the team missing nine free throws, including six in the second half, and there might have also been a case of the San Antonio jitters.

"For us, one of the best free-throw shooting teams in the league, to do that, it definitely hurt," said Avery.

Another hurt was losing this Game 1, particularly since the Spurs had a quick 36-hour turnaround, and a lot of jet lag, after finally putting away Sacramento out West on Friday night.

Because of this hurried travel schedule, it was even suggested in the local newspaper here Sunday morning that the Spurs would have to "steal" one of the two home games to open the series. Strange, but true.

Then again, the Mavs had an opposite worry. They hadn't played since Monday. Would rest lead to rust?

Actually, the rust excuse doesn't seem to wash because the Mavericks had a good first half, and were in control of everything except Tim Duncan ripping it up in the middle for 20 points.

It was Duncan's way of saying that when you single-cover him, as many teams have done this season, he can still deliver, despite some physical problems.

Although in the second half, the Mavs went different on defense, using a helper against Duncan, the man-up strategy is not a bad idea. It keeps Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili in check.

Again, however, nothing works when you score 33 second-half points on 12 field goals, and no shot made from the field in the last four minutes-plus of the game.

When it comes to scoring, that means Dirk.

Bowen receives and deserves credit for his aggressive style on Nowitzki, but he gets plenty of help, particularly in pick-and-roll situations.

"I know," said Dirk, "they are going to try and take me out of this series."

You think?

And Avery was already campaigning the refs for Game 2 here Tuesday night.

"It's a bear hug defense," he said, when asked about how the Spurs stopped his Big Man.

"That's a new NBA defense," continued Avery.

Asked to define "bear hug" defense, Johnson shot back, "It's when a bear comes up and hugs you."

The Mavericks' bench was outraged in the final minute when Dirk didn't draw a foul after driving the bucket on a miss. Owner Mark Cuban even stormed halfway on the floor during a timeout, yelling at the referees.

Assistant coach Del Harris, fearful of a technical foul, told his owner to get off the floor, but Cuban ignored him, and continued to yell.

A bad second half would end in disaster when the Mavs had the ball with 13 seconds remaining, down by two.

The play was called for Dirk, with an option to Jerry Stackhouse in the corner. But Nowitzki was forced out beyond the free-throw line when he got the ball, then slipped and stumbled on his dribble.

What followed was an off-balance Dirk pass to Stackhouse that Ginobili tipped.

Once Stackhouse grabbed it, he had an opening on the baseline, but having lost sight of the clock, backed up hurriedly for a futile off-balance 3-point attempt.

Stackhouse's offense had been the only thing keeping the Mavs in the game, so it was actually best that the ball ended up in his hands.

The only problem is the Mavericks have to have Dirk scoring if they are going to win this series.

And Game 1 didn't provide that. It was never this hard against Memphis.

Randy Galloway's Galloway & Co. can be heard weekdays 3-6 p.m. on ESPN/103.3 FM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-08-06, 09:07 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Crappy writer is as crappy writer writes.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-08-06, 09:07 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

that sound you hear is back-pedaling
Old 05-08-06, 09:13 AM
SR's Resident Laker Hater

Crow is a terrible dish served cold.
Old 05-08-06, 09:20 AM
Moderator & Chatroom Greeter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHANTOM21
that sound you hear is back-pedaling
[email protected]
Old 05-08-06, 09:48 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Randy Galloway constantly talks bad about the Mavs and praises the Spurs on the radio. He is not the dillusional mav writer that the others are. He recognizes that the Mavs are going to lose. The other guys are convinced that this is their year. I would love to see us beat them and then hear them whine about it. Please let it be so.
Old 05-08-06, 10:14 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd98
Randy Galloway constantly talks bad about the Mavs and praises the Spurs on the radio. He is not the dillusional mav writer that the others are. He recognizes that the Mavs are going to lose. The other guys are convinced that this is their year. I would love to see us beat them and then hear them whine about it. Please let it be so.

I've heard this guy on the radio while in Dallas. He doesn't hate Dallas it's just that he knows that the Mavs have a long way to go. He respects the Spurs because they are the model to follow, which is why he is critical of the Mavericks. Boy do they despise him in Dallas.
Old 05-08-06, 10:55 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestr
I've heard this guy on the radio while in Dallas. He doesn't hate Dallas it's just that he knows that the Mavs have a long way to go. He respects the Spurs because they are the model to follow, which is why he is critical of the Mavericks. Boy do they despise him in Dallas.
yes, I agree- I live here in Dallas to (sorry SA-my hometown) and I have to listen to them if I want to listen to sports on the radio, but I don't mind Randy b/c he is a straight shooter. The other guys are Cuban stoogies.
Old 05-08-06, 11:09 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWest
Crow is a terrible dish served cold.
But tastes better with a little spurs salt and pepper YUMMMM!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd98
yes, I agree- I live here in Dallas to (sorry SA-my hometown) and I have to listen to them if I want to listen to sports on the radio, but I don't mind Randy b/c he is a straight shooter. The other guys are Cuban stoogies.
I love listening to the ticket here in Dallas. Craig Miller is a HUGE Spurs fan and those homers HATE IT. He has a room in his house dedicated to the Spurs WOOT!! He is the only voice of reason when they discuss Mavs hopes of winning it all. He always finds a way to mention SA Callers hate it, but I love it
Old 05-08-06, 11:13 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Location: Bangalore - Silicon Valley East - Ex hyderabd, Cupertino/CA & Campinas Brazil, Houston and SanAntonio

Hey I love this guy!!! Go Randy!