News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 05-07-06, 11:53 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Scola and Mahinmi

Seeing as how I live in Massachusetts, I don't get much Spurs coverage. Does anyone know the likelihood of one or both Scola and Mahinmi being in silver and black next season?

I've heard such great things about Scola, but I know the buyout on his deal is so high. If he's half the rebounder I think he is, we could really use him next season after the departure of Mohammed.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-08-06, 12:20 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

his buyout is like 3 million i think?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-08-06, 12:24 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

i think there was talk about him having his buyout dispersed over some years to make it more managable?

as for Mahinmini, I think he's going to a better league in europe first. So I wouldn't expect to see him in silver and black next season.

Dont we got 2 other european imports overseas besides Jacksevioussdrfdsgsdgsdgseous (the dude who got in a motorcycle accident)

one is a small forward and the other center?
Old 05-08-06, 12:35 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Wehave 3 other prospects besides those two...Javoktas(moto accident), Korolev(sp?)..Russian center...& Sandizke(sp?) who is a 6'9 SF.
Old 05-08-06, 12:38 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Sigh. I doubt we get any of them next year.
Old 05-08-06, 12:55 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I feel like we can bring Scola since Nazr is looking more and more dispensible.
3.) I will never, in any situation, argue when I can discuss
Old 05-08-06, 01:31 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff
I feel like we can bring Scola since Nazr is looking more and more dispensible.

The sub for Nazr is Javtokas.
Old 05-08-06, 01:34 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

There is indication Scola's team will want to let him go this year, in order to get some money for him, instead of losing him for nothing afterwards. They would accept a reasonable buy-out over a few years. If this is true, I'd expect him as a Spur next year.
Old 05-08-06, 01:35 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R
Sigh. I doubt we get any of them next year.
--->>>Dark clouds

----> THunder
Old 05-08-06, 04:12 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by noamt
The sub for Nazr is Javtokas.
For half the price.

"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at this rock perhaps 100 times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the 101st blow, it will split in two and I know it was not that blow that did it. But all that had gone before." - Jacob Riis
Old 05-08-06, 04:22 AM
Abominable snowballer

posted on this serveral times, just try to summerize again:
(i hope my informations are right)

scola:
his contract finally expires 2007, his buyout status this summer is said to be 3 million $, which he could pay over three years. 3 million $ dollar are quite a lot of money for an european team (and TAU doesn't have the financial recources like for example barcelona, real, panathinaikos).
but the question will be if the Surs offer Scola enough to either pay the buyout and make the money he demands. rumors said that last year Scola and his agent were looking for almost the whole MLE and that's the kind of money the spurs are for sure not willing to pay. if scola signes with an european top team IMO he could get something like 1.5-2 million $/year (just a guess, euro teams don't announce the saleries of their players).
this would mean that Scola would need a 3 years contract starting at 3 million/year to pay his buyout and still make the same money he would make in europe.
considering the fact that Horry isn't getting younger and Oberto isn't the kind of player Spurs hoped to get, i see a good chance that the spurs will offer more than they did last summer and that Scola finally comes to SA. (but there is still the problem of Scolas behaviour last summer when he affronted RC after the failed negotiations, not just what Spurs expect of their future players)
chace that he will be a Spur next year: 40%

Javtokas:
he had a great year in his first euroleague season and was considered the best defensive center in europe this year. i guess that's what the spurs wanted to see.....that after his accident he is really fully recoverd and able to compete on the highest level of competition outside the NBA.
Javtokas has bulked up to almost 270 lbs (at 6-11). he is by far the most athletic center in europe right now and his kind of physica play should be suited better for the NBA.
the best thing about Javtokas is, that his contract expires this summer, so there aren't any buyout issues.
(Javtokas resigned last summer for only one year with rytas. i think that the spurs could have advised him to sign for just one year to show what he can do on the euroleague level and if he proves himself in the euroleage - what he did impressively - Spurs will offer him a contract)
Javtokas would be the repleacement for Nazr, he should be able to offer as much as Nazr did (at least on defense), but will be for sure less expensive than Nazr.
If Spurs don't sign Javtokas this summer my guts say that we will never see him in the NBA, because he will get some nice long term offers of european top teams and at 26 Javtokas will look for some security. (especially someone with his experience knows how fast everything can be over)
if the spurs offer him a contract like the one they gave to Oberto, Javtokas should be a Spur next season.
chances: 75%

Mahinmi:
i guess he is just where the Spurs expected him to be at this point. he showed some nice improvement in the france pro league, but he still is two or three years away from being ready for the NBA.
rumors say that he will sign with either Pau-Orthez, or another france top team (a better team than Le Havre is). if he signs with Pau he could play euroleage, this would be the best thing for his further improvement. he would be good advised if he signes a two years contract because 2008 should be a good moment to join the Spurs. (Horry's and Oberto's contracts expire and Rasho goes into the last year of his contract)
chances he'll be a spur this summer: 5 %

overall i would see the situation like this:
i don't think that the spurs will resign Nazr, he turned down a 4 years/25 million $ offer last summer. i don't see the spurs offer him more this summer.
(especially with the option to sign Javtokas)
So the Spurs will sign Javtokas to a 3 years/ 8 million $ contract.
the other part of the MLE they will offer Scola (a 3 years/ 10 million$ contract starting at 3 million/year). if Scola accepts the contract and the last years disputes can be rectified, he also will be a Spur.
(as a consequence the Spurs will try to trade Oberto, something that won't be easy)

Spurs 2007:
Tony/Beno/ min. contract veteran
Manu/ Brent/
Bruce/Finley/ young swingman (in a trade for Oberto+picks?)
Timmy/Scola/Horry
Rasho/Javtokas

Scola and Javtokas are 26 and if the spur can add another younger swingman this would be a badly needed youth movement.
Old 05-08-06, 04:48 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I would like to see javtokas next year. He sounds like a perfect fit for the spurs
Old 05-08-06, 07:05 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

thanks for that, Alpine Baller.

I'd like to see those guys start getting brought over.

The Spurs are such an interesting team, no?
Old 05-08-06, 08:03 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Is the Brent Barry for JR Reid(?) trade likely to be re-visited this off-season?
Old 05-08-06, 08:10 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopers pale
Is the Brent Barry for JR Reid(?) trade likely to be re-visited this off-season?
JR Smith
Old 05-08-06, 08:56 AM
SpursReport Team Member

If I remember right about Javtokas he signed the one year deal because there wasn't a new NBA collective bargaining agreement yet and though he wanted to sign with the Spurs he couldn't risk an NBA work stoppage putting him in limbo.
Old 05-08-06, 09:02 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

JR Reid...
Old 05-08-06, 09:24 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopers pale
you scared me for a while.... bring JR Reid for retirement aren't good news for the Spurs...
Old 05-08-06, 10:04 AM
Abominable snowballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnington
I don't see Scola coming for 3 years 10 million contract.
if he demands more it could be a problem if the spurs sign Javtokas as Nazr repleacement in the first place which could be the number 1 priority.
Spurs only have the MLE, if Scola commands far more than 3 million of the likely 5 million, there's not enough left to sign Javtokas.
(don't think that he would sign for the million $ exception)

for Scola it should be an easy calculation. if he signs for 3 million/year, even after he bought himself out, he would still make more money than he would in europe (but not the real big money). after three years he will be 29 and if he played well, he has another chance to get the big money.
the spurs could sweeten the deal if they give him a contract with a 3rd year player option. If Scola plays good during his first two years he could opt out and go for a bigger contract.
he won't get an MLE typ contract right now from the Spurs and can't sign with another team.
Manu once signed a 2 years/ 3 million contract.
Nocioni signed a 3 years/8 million contract.
so 3 years/ 10 million are not that bad.

Last edited by alpineballer; 05-08-06 at 10:06 AM.
Old 05-08-06, 10:15 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineballer

scola:
his contract finally expires 2007, his buyout status this summer is said to be 3 million $, which he could pay over three years. 3 million $ dollar are quite a lot of money for an european team (and TAU doesn't have the financial recources like for example barcelona, real, panathinaikos).
but the question will be if the Surs offer Scola enough to either pay the buyout and make the money he demands. rumors said that last year Scola and his agent were looking for almost the whole MLE and that's the kind of money the spurs are for sure not willing to pay. if scola signes with an european top team IMO he could get something like 1.5-2 million $/year (just a guess, euro teams don't announce the saleries of their players).
this would mean that Scola would need a 3 years contract starting at 3 million/year to pay his buyout and still make the same money he would make in europe.
considering the fact that Horry isn't getting younger and Oberto isn't the kind of player Spurs hoped to get, i see a good chance that the spurs will offer more than they did last summer and that Scola finally comes to SA. (but there is still the problem of Scolas behaviour last summer when he affronted RC after the failed negotiations, not just what Spurs expect of their future players)
chace that he will be a Spur next year: 40%

Javtokas:
he had a great year in his first euroleague season and was considered the best defensive center in europe this year. i guess that's what the spurs wanted to see.....that after his accident he is really fully recoverd and able to compete on the highest level of competition outside the NBA.
Javtokas has bulked up to almost 270 lbs (at 6-11). he is by far the most athletic center in europe right now and his kind of physica play should be suited better for the NBA.
the best thing about Javtokas is, that his contract expires this summer, so there aren't any buyout issues.
(Javtokas resigned last summer for only one year with rytas. i think that the spurs could have advised him to sign for just one year to show what he can do on the euroleague level and if he proves himself in the euroleage - what he did impressively - Spurs will offer him a contract)
Javtokas would be the repleacement for Nazr, he should be able to offer as much as Nazr did (at least on defense), but will be for sure less expensive than Nazr.
If Spurs don't sign Javtokas this summer my guts say that we will never see him in the NBA, because he will get some nice long term offers of european top teams and at 26 Javtokas will look for some security. (especially someone with his experience knows how fast everything can be over)
if the spurs offer him a contract like the one they gave to Oberto, Javtokas should be a Spur next season.
chances: 75%

Mahinmi:
i guess he is just where the Spurs expected him to be at this point. he showed some nice improvement in the france pro league, but he still is two or three years away from being ready for the NBA.
rumors say that he will sign with either Pau-Orthez, or another france top team (a better team than Le Havre is). if he signs with Pau he could play euroleage, this would be the best thing for his further improvement. he would be good advised if he signes a two years contract because 2008 should be a good moment to join the Spurs. (Horry's and Oberto's contracts expire and Rasho goes into the last year of his contract)
chances he'll be a spur this summer: 5 %

overall i would see the situation like this:
i don't think that the spurs will resign Nazr, he turned down a 4 years/25 million $ offer last summer. i don't see the spurs offer him more this summer.
(especially with the option to sign Javtokas)
So the Spurs will sign Javtokas to a 3 years/ 8 million $ contract.
the other part of the MLE they will offer Scola (a 3 years/ 10 million$ contract starting at 3 million/year). if Scola accepts the contract and the last years disputes can be rectified, he also will be a Spur.
(as a consequence the Spurs will try to trade Oberto, something that won't be easy)

Spurs 2007:
Tony/Beno/ min. contract veteran
Manu/ Brent/
Bruce/Finley/ young swingman (in a trade for Oberto+picks?)
Timmy/Scola/Horry
Rasho/Javtokas

Scola and Javtokas are 26 and if the spur can add another younger swingman this would be a badly needed youth movement.
Good summary Alpineballer
Old 05-08-06, 10:32 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Wow, I thought Javotkas was going to be a tall athletic small forward type when he was drafted. good to see him come back after that terrible accident. really sounds like he was able to fight those challenges and still reach some of his potential. sounds like he would be perfect at center next year.
Old 05-08-06, 10:34 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Alpineballer- why do you say only a 40% chance of seeing Scola? Your analysis suggesets higher.
Old 05-08-06, 10:44 AM
SpursReport Team Member

If I remember correctly, I think the MLE will be more than $5 mil....I think its going to something like $6 mil. this year, so that could be a factor.
Old 05-08-06, 10:57 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pessimist
Not to sound like a pessimist -- but I doubt Mahinmi ever even shows up in the Silver & Black.
Really? Why? Do you think it will be due to contractual issues or the level of his play? If the latter, I think it may be too early in his career to tell. Everything I've read about him suggests he has enormous potential (for whatever that's worth), but he is still very young, so maybe it is a bit premature to say one way or the other. That said, I've got lots of faith in the Spurs scouting, especially when it comes to foreign players.

"Getting a Sixth Man award is like being the best left-handed guard," Ginobili said. "I believe you're either the best player or not." 3-26-07
Old 05-08-06, 11:03 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Not to sound like a pessimist -- but I doubt Mahinmi ever even shows up in the Silver & Black.
why? The Spurs thought he was a good prospect from past reports. he seems to be developing...why wouldnt they even try it at some point?
Old 05-08-06, 11:10 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineballer

scola:

40%

Javtokas:

75%

Mahinmi:
5 %
Thanks for the scoop, however reliable it appears to be. What about Sandizke? Any info on him?

Quote:
The Spurs would not have wasted a first round pick and do all the misdirection if they did not have intents to bring Mahinmi over eventually.
Old 05-08-06, 12:43 PM
Abominable snowballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by l=w
Alpineballer- why do you say only a 40% chance of seeing Scola? Your analysis suggesets higher.
no science behind this, just wrote some numbers to show what i guess.
(could have written scola 50% or whatever)
i wanted to say that i think the best chance is to see Javtokas next year, a minor but still good chance to see Scola and nearly no chance to see Mahinmi.
The problem about Scola is that on the one hand it seems as if he wants to make more money than the Spurs want to pay and on the other hand it was reported that he called RC different things (in the mold of liar and sissy) after the negotiations failed last summer. don't know if it's either true and if yes, if it is something that could be straightened professionally.
Old 05-08-06, 12:46 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Javtokas is where it's at. Big, strong, tough, possibly psycho (just look at his eyes).

Just the king of tough, shotblocking finisher to replace Nazr.
Old 05-08-06, 12:48 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Alpine - I know you were eyeballing the figures, but in some ways you show how likely it is he will come. As for TAU, it seems they'll be very happy to see him go, to get some money back before his contract expires. As for the money, you've demonstrated he'd get market value for a first year accomplished Argentinian in the NBA. As for Buford, they've had dust-ups in the past; at least one I remember, when Buford somewhat insensitively chided Scola for not being much of a rebounder. This was after the 2004 Olympics, if I recall correctly. Then Scola went out and rebounded better.

It seems like the Spurs are smart enough to overlook those comments. They know he's a passionate player and passionate guy. The question - and I'm sure you're suggesting this - is whether he's willing to forgive the Spurs. With Oberto and Manu there, able to soften the blow, and with the FO showing some determination to bring him over, I'm sure it will be fine.

I know less about the situation than you do, but I've had the impression it's more likely than 40% that he comes. But who knows. I'd certainly like to see both he and Javtokas come over. They would really bolster the front line.
Old 05-08-06, 02:05 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Sandikze (sp?) was injured this year I believe so there is basically 0% chance he is signed.

It sounds like Javtokas could be a servicable replacement for Nazr, esp since Nazr will likely be looking for the big payday and has been in and out of Pop's doghouse. It seems that he refuses to keep the ball up and must bring it to his waist to try to do pump fakes instead of going strong to the hoop. All the Spurs need is a complement for Duncan that has more athleticism than Rasho.

One other factor to consider on Scola is the Spurs still have the buyout cash to give him on top of the contract and the amount was increased by the new CBA. It won't cover it by any stretch but it is enough to take some of the sting out of a $3 million buyout.
Old 05-08-06, 02:47 PM
SpursReport Team Member

While you can't compare players exactly, we ought to remind ourselves that Oberto was touted very highly from the Euro league.

Scola may not be as good in the NBA as he has been in Euro leagues either. Our success in scouting and signing Parker and Manu shouldn't blind us to this possibility.
Old 05-08-06, 03:08 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Old 05-08-06, 03:51 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swami077
Seeing as how I live in Massachusetts, I don't get much Spurs coverage. Does anyone know the likelihood of one or both Scola and Mahinmi being in silver and black next season?

I've heard such great things about Scola, but I know the buyout on his deal is so high. If he's half the rebounder I think he is, we could really use him next season after the departure of Mohammed.

heard on the local pop radio show about 2wks ago on the ticket when asked about scola he said that they were going to see what they could do about bringing him over next season. he also said it was obvious he was best powerforword in europe right now.
Old 05-08-06, 03:55 PM
Abominable snowballer

Quote:
I think that if he can buyout the contract in 3 years ( 1 million per year) maybe he could think about it, but If he must pay the 3 million ( and if is true that now the buyout is that figure) i am sure that he won't come.
the information about his buyout status was from this article:

Quote:
http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=1256

The strong presence of international scouts, agents and GMs means that there was always plenty to be learned about the happenings of draft prospects past and present for anyone that bothered to ask. Spurs fans are probably sick of hearing about this, but Luis Scola will have yet another chance to come to the NBA if there is mutual interest on both his part and the San Antonio front office. Scola has a 3 million dollar buyout sum that can be split up into three manageable payments of one million per year if that’s what he chooses to do.
Old 05-08-06, 04:10 PM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Scola's contract ends in 2008, not in 2007.
The NBA buyout in Scola's initial contract with Tau was a staggering 12
million euros or $14.5million. The team later revised the contract to
give Scola a much more affordable buyout based on where he was drafted
in the 1st round. Yet because the deal never specified anything about
being selected in the second round, Tau officials claimed last summer that
Scola must pay the original buyout to leave for the NBA or he wait until his
contract expires in 2008 when the buyout is reduced to $1 million.
I haven't officially heard If Tau has given Scola another option for this coming summer.
The Spurs will revisit the issue again this summer but most of it will depend on
negotiations between Scola and Tau.
Old 05-08-06, 04:15 PM
Abominable snowballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by l=w
I know less about the situation than you do, but I've had the impression it's more likely than 40% that he comes. But who knows. I'd certainly like to see both he and Javtokas come over. They would really bolster the front line.
so do i!
the line up i posted (including Javtokas and Scola) is my dream lineup for next year (and some more years to come).
if we somehow can get this young, long, athletic SF it would be almost perfect.
Bobby Jones, the washington senior, who is in this years draft sounds perfect (he is constantly compared to Bruce Bowen). he is expected to be a mid to end second rounder, so he might fall down to the no.59 pick the spurs have.
maybe the spurs could somehow trade up a bit (to the number 40-45 region) and make sure to get him.
another interesting player could be Panagiotis Vasilopoulos, a 22 years old 6-8 SF from Greece (team: Olympiakos) who is compared to Nocioni. he will likely still be there when the spurs pick at the end of the second round.

Last edited by alpineballer; 05-08-06 at 04:17 PM.
Old 05-08-06, 04:19 PM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Sose
One other factor to consider on Scola is the Spurs still have the buyout cash to give him on top of the contract and the amount was increased by the new CBA. It won't cover it by any stretch but it is enough to take some of the sting out of a $3 million buyout.
Teams may pay up to $500,000 to buy out a player from a foreign team without cutting into the player's salary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SOTEX
If I remember correctly, I think the MLE will be more than $5 mil....I think its going to something like $6 mil. this year, so that could be a factor.

The MLE is based on the average player salary, the actual value of this exception is not determined until the start of the free agent signing period.
Old 05-08-06, 04:19 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Sose
Sandikze (sp?) was injured this year I believe so there is basically 0% chance he is signed.
I seem to remeber that Viktor Sanikidze will be at the summer league and has spent time in SA over the winter rehabbing an injury.

Alpine-
Appreciate the info, a question about Javtokas-
does he have better hands than Nazr?
I was underwhelmed by his play in the olympics- looked stiff, I know you have reported that he has improved significantly during this time. The Spurs have made no comments about him, which I find midly interesting (of course no one has asked RC or Pop on any interviews about him either.
Old 05-08-06, 04:40 PM
Abominable snowballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog
Alpine-
Appreciate the info, a question about Javtokas-
does he have better hands than Nazr?
I was underwhelmed by his play in the olympics- looked stiff, I know you have reported that he has improved significantly during this time. The Spurs have made no comments about him, which I find midly interesting (of course no one has asked RC or Pop on any interviews about him either.
well, he for sure doesn't own what's called soft hands but i guess he can't be worse than Nazr in this regard.
he didn't show great ball handling, but also hit some nice hookshots what made me belive that there is some room for improvement.
talking about hands: for a 7 footer Javtoks has comparatively small hands.
compared to Nazr he should be the better shot blocker, in this regard he improved most. and in europe there is noone who can move javtokas once he got position. he is strong like a bull (but still a bit stiff)
at the olympics i thought Javtokas will never make it to the nba, but he really improved from the begin of the season 2004-2005 (was voted MVP of the ULEB cup 2005, a minor inter-european cup, but still a nice honoring) and steped up big in some euroleague games this season.
Old 05-08-06, 04:40 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Old 05-08-06, 04:42 PM
Abominable snowballer

Old 05-08-06, 04:43 PM
SpursReport Team Member

In the Euroleague the stats I saw had Javtokas #1 in blocks and #4 in rebounds.
Old 05-08-06, 04:43 PM
Abominable snowballer

sorry, i couldn't resist......
Old 05-08-06, 04:54 PM
Abominable snowballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnington
Congrats Alpineballer!!!!!!! 1000 posts
thanks
but damn....now the number is gone
Old 05-08-06, 05:05 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Something that I never saw posted here and that I never got around to posting myself was ...

About 2-3 weeks before the end of the regular season, Sam Presti was on the 1200 pre-game show with Schoening and he gave brief descriptions of the Spurs overseas prospects (eg Scola is from Argentina a 2nd round pick, Mahinmi from France a 1st rounder, etc).

The only one that he said anything substantive about was Javtokas. I don't remember word for word, but the jist of what he said was how Javtokas either had improved a great deal or had been the most surprising with how well he played in euroleague, or some combination of the two. There was a hint of enthusiasm as he said it, whereas with the others it was a clinical description of their mini-bios, much like the written piece about the prospects he did for spurs.com.

But he had that little extra piece about Javtokas.

Unfortunately it wasn't the kind of interview for Schoening to ask follow-ups, the whole Presti segment probably lasted shorter than a typical visit with an opposing player.

http://www.euroleague.net/fotos/noti...ed_1818_30.jpg

http://www.euroleague.net/fotos/noti...ed_1818_20.jpg

http://www.euroleague.net/fotos/noti...ed_1785_29.jpg
Old 05-08-06, 05:23 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by objective

The only one that he said anything substantive about was Javtokas. I don't remember word for word, but the jist of what he said was how Javtokas either had improved a great deal or had been the most surprising with how well he played in euroleague, or some combination of the two. There was a hint of enthusiasm as he said it, whereas with the others it was a clinical description of their mini-bios, much like the written piece about the prospects he did for spurs.com.

But he had that little extra piece about Javtokas.

Unfortunately it wasn't the kind of interview for Schoening to ask follow-ups, the whole Presti segment probably lasted shorter than a typical visit with an opposing player.
Who knows what the Spurs think about Javtokas, they are so tight lipped (esp after the Kristic affair). Might just be saying some things to be nice, etc.
I must say my thoughts where exactly the same as Alpineballer after the olympics- this guy will never play in the NBA. Time will tell. Hard to project how well he will do over here (especially not seeing him play recently- as if I where a top scout ha ha).
Obertos game hasn't translated well into the NBA, but I'm not sure what the Spurs expected of him (is he what they expected or a disappointment?).
Old 05-08-06, 05:56 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog
Who knows what the Spurs think about Javtokas, they are so tight lipped (esp after the Kristic affair).
Difference between the two situations is that the Spurs already own his rights whereas Kristic was snagged right before the Spurs were able to. They don't have to be tight lipped any more cuz he isn't going anywhere.
Old 05-08-06, 05:58 PM
SpursReport Team Member

OK...well I guess I heard that average salaries are going up & the MLE could be somewhere around $6 mil....a couple of years ago it was $5 mil...last year it was about $5.4, so I think it is entirely possible that the MLE goes up again.
Old 05-08-06, 05:59 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Obertos game hasn't translated well into the NBA
I think we will have to see more next year. at times this year he has looked good and others not. he hasnt gotten much time either. He's a rookie to the NBA even if he has played in europe at for years. people were ready to run Manu out in the first year too. Oberto prob wont make that leap but he may end up being better next season
Old 05-08-06, 07:10 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I think that Javt......will only get better if we bring him in and have Tim teach him the fundamentals. As far as the Olympics I thought that he played pretty decent, but Scola realy showed a lot of people how good of a player her is.