News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 05-08-06, 09:15 AM
MomBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy from Austin
I wonder what kind of defense does Avery call this?
hmmm that would be the "Bear Claw" defense.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-08-06, 09:21 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

whats kills me is the ref in the background appears to have a great look at it and blind at the same time
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-08-06, 09:26 AM
Delusional Manu Lover

I think Damp and Stack went to the same school for defense. Didn't Stack get called for at least 2 fouls where he had a handfull of jersey????????

"He said, 'Go for every pump fake,' " Hibbert said.
Old 05-08-06, 09:28 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

i know he got caught once grabbing duncans jersey
Old 05-08-06, 09:41 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Call it whatever, Bruce is an incredible defender, he just eats up whatever space you give him he takes it away from you and just makes it hard to get any balance on any shot or pass. And that little bump he gives you with his elbows and body hips anything that makes contact with the other guy seems to really annoy everyone. I don't see Avery doing anything different than what Phil or larry do, But I bet Avery would love to have this guy on his team.
Old 05-08-06, 09:59 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Bruce is a great defender.
I still don´t understand why we call the Spurs "Big 3" when there should be a "Big 4".
Bruce, in my book, is as valuable as Tony or Manu.
Old 05-08-06, 10:06 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Let's not forget that Josh Howard is also a very physical perimeter defender. Perhaps AJ should watch Howard 'bearhug' Ginobili and use that in practice.
Old 05-08-06, 10:08 AM
Delusional Manu Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matias
Bruce is a great defender.
I still don´t understand why we call the Spurs "Big 3" when there should be a "Big 4".
Bruce, in my book, is as valuable as Tony or Manu.
Agreed. I think alot of people overlook Bruce's D because it's something that isn't talked about alot. Let me explain what I mean. When the TV analysts talk about the game they don't often say..."Bruce Bowen held Dirk Nowitski to 30 percent shooting from the floor." They probably wouldn't have mentioned it very much for this past game exept it was Bruce's D that took away the Mavs 1st option and caused Dirk to make a less than accurate pass to Stack on the last play of the game. What Bruce does is what they call a "Thankless Job" in that he doesn't get accolades for what he does.

"He said, 'Go for every pump fake,' " Hibbert said.
Old 05-08-06, 11:06 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

sigh...
let me try this again

i think dirks comments were good.

also, he was asked about the BearHug D, and i don't think he interpreted the way all of you did.

he didn't say anything about fouls, but simply that he's not getting any open shots, and he knows that b/c spurs are a great defensive team. he said they're focused on him and always have a guy on him even after screens and etc..
also later he said that they force him to go certain ways and when he does there's someone already there rotating etc.

from dirk's interpretation of avery's comment, all of you just WANT him to be complaining about refs/fouls etc, even though didn't seem like he was.
Old 05-08-06, 11:32 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spursfan9
sigh...
let me try this again

i think dirks comments were good.

also, he was asked about the BearHug D, and i don't think he interpreted the way all of you did.

he didn't say anything about fouls, but simply that he's not getting any open shots, and he knows that b/c spurs are a great defensive team. he said they're focused on him and always have a guy on him even after screens and etc..
also later he said that they force him to go certain ways and when he does there's someone already there rotating etc.

from dirk's interpretation of avery's comment, all of you just WANT him to be complaining about refs/fouls etc, even though didn't seem like he was.
who cares how Dirk interpreted it, it was how Avery said it. He was lobbying the refs, plain and simple. you don't say this is a new NBA and i'll have to try and come up with a drill to simulate that kind of defense if you're not complaining about it. Does bearhug sound legal to you?
Old 05-08-06, 09:29 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy from Austin
I wonder what kind of defense does Avery call this?
Dude!!!! Thats the vaunted "Prison Rape Defense" that I was talkin' about.