LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-06, 04:10 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Dampier believes Mavs have 2-game advantage

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...e.79a4f19.html

Dampier believes Mavs have 2-game advantage

08:07 PM CDT on Saturday, May 6, 2006
By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

SAN ANTONIO – Erick Dampier isn't sure how much he'll see of Tim Duncan when the Western Conference semifinals open today. But he's certain of one thing.

The Spurs will be fighting from a disadvantage in Game 1.

"They played two more games than us and had to travel," Dampier said. "So I think they'll be a little tired. And we're rested."

And it's not just Game 1, he said, when the Mavericks hope to take advantage of a good situation.

"Game 1 and Game 2," he said. "They have to play within 36 hours [of finishing the first round]. You got to fly all the way back home, three hours or so from Sacramento. That takes a toll on your body. And then we play two games in three days. Then we go back to our homecourt. And we've been rested. So we're going to come out and run them up and down the floor."

The flip side of this argument is that the Spurs got exactly the sort of pre-Mavericks warm-up that they needed from the Kings.

But that doesn't make the quick turnaround any easier.

"It's a travesty they're making that team play Sunday afternoon," Sacramento coach Rick Adelman said. "If they lose that game, it ought to be put on someone in New York [at the league office]."

San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich, meanwhile, was trying to downplay the 36-hour respite between Game 6 and Game 1.

"We're going to play them in about 20 minutes," he joked after the win in Sacramento.

He minimized the impact of the turnaround Saturday afternoon after he gave his team a cram session on the Mavericks. "They've been resting too long," he said, "and we've been playing too long."

Stackhouse not convinced: Jerry Stackhouse doesn't mind stirring things up, and he was quick to point out that the Spurs have no reason to feel like a dynasty going into the second round of the playoffs, even if they have won three of the last seven NBA titles.

"I look around, and I don't see a team that's been dominant before," Stackhouse said. "The Spurs won one last year. Detroit won the year before. The Spurs were a few minutes from it being back-to-back Detroit [championships]. And we'd all be talking about them instead of San Antonio."

Johnson back in town: Avery Johnson spent nine years with the Spurs, mostly under Popovich. He knows their system. And vice versa.

One system Johnson remains baffled by, however, is the one used for NBA playoff seedings.

"There are a lot of underlying stories in this series, and I think it's great," Johnson said. "We were here in this situation a couple years ago when both of us won 60 games. The system was better, so we met in the conference finals instead of the semifinals. I guess somebody got smarter, and they changed the system."

E-mail [email protected]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-07-06, 04:18 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Blah Blah... The whole travel thing is over-stated. 3-hours in a private pampered jet is no-big deal. I just flew 3 hours from seattle in coach and butt was sore for about an hour??? I would think the Mavs have a better plan than depending on jet-lag and fatigue.
Old 05-07-06, 04:21 AM
SpursReport Team Member

as long as stackhouse keeps jacking up fadeaways... he'll never be close to a championship... let alone a dynasty. and erick dampier better hope that dirk doesnt start arguing with him about not making shots while he's clanking cheap ones himself. lol a.j. cant be pop-like (or lite) then.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-07-06, 05:58 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Ol wash up Stack Brick house is talking like he's accomplish something in the nba
Old 05-07-06, 05:59 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Mavericks sure like to talk a lot, not a good sign for a team that hasn't done a darn thing.
Old 05-07-06, 07:06 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurssheriff
"I look around, and I don't see a team that's been dominant before," Stackhouse said. "The Spurs won one last year. Detroit won the year before. The Spurs were a few minutes from it being back-to-back Detroit [championships]. And we'd all be talking about them instead of San Antonio."
never mind that we took apart a team in 5 games that you couldnt defeat?
Old 05-07-06, 07:14 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Mavericks are full of
What pathetic losers!!!!! How far have they EVER gotten in the playoffs and now they're talking smack cause they think we'll be tired!!! They played the GRIZZLIES!!!

Coach Billy Gillispie loves UK, Dr Pepper, & the Spurs!
Old 05-07-06, 08:05 AM
Banned

all good points dallas in 6
Old 05-07-06, 08:33 AM
SpursReport Team Member

So that's how Dallas wants it huh? The easiest way possible. Who remembers the 1999 Finals and how we got there? Due to the shortened season, back-to-back games were the norm and it drained the life out of the players in the league. To me, that was the toughest Championship we've had to endure. San Antonio had to prove they were resilient enough to win the Western Conference title and the NBA Finals. Now Dallas hoping to win their first "anything"... by wishing the Spurs are too tired to play so that they are guaranteed to take at least two games from San Antonio. Don't think for one minute that the NBA watching world is not going to see that. Even if they do take a the first game from San Antonio, let them read the papers the day after where all the sports magazines makes them feel stupid on how the league only gave the Spurs 48 hours to prepare against a week rested Mavericks team. If you think about it, this is a lose-lose scenario for the Mavs. If they actually lose to the Spurs, once again they are proven as pretenders. If they beat the Spurs, they will be ridiculed for the time they spent resting vice what San Antonio got. No wonder everyone laughs when the Mavericks are mentioned in a conversation when discussing the Spurs. I guess being a ***** is the "In" thing these days.
Old 05-07-06, 08:37 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

when the Spurs win today what will be the Mavs excuse? they are talking way too much

and whats with Stackhouse trying to play off the Spurs winning the title last year? as if it didnt mean that much. what an idiot. win something
Old 05-07-06, 10:34 AM
SpursReport Team Member

trash talking from 2 players who have done absolutely jack $hit in their NBA careers. I really doubt the Spurs even pay attention to those morons.
Old 05-07-06, 10:38 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Jerry who??
what has he done in his so called career? nothing!

last time someone talked smack they got sent home (artest) with a swollen lip and sore ankles.
maybe a bruce 'lee' kick to the face will shut him up.
maybe i should thank him. TD and company can use that as an edge...
Old 05-07-06, 10:52 AM
SpursReport Rookie

How many teams have Stackhouse been on? He will never know what a dynasty is! The mavs will trade him before he knows anything about a dynasty. Wait a minute! They trade everybody that is good. Kidd, Nash, and of course FINLEY!
Old 05-07-06, 10:52 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

i'll give damp this. spurs are at a disadvantage in game 1, not because they played two more games but because the last game was so recent. that will be old news by tuesday night.

Dave McNulla
Spurs Fan

Tweet Me
Old 05-07-06, 10:53 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Location: The capital of Texas...that's right...Sunset Valley

Isn't this the guy that Shaq compared himself to when he wasn't playing well?

"Married men live longer. Yes. And an indoor cat also lives longer. It's a furball with a broken spirit, that can only look out on a world it can never enjoy. But it does technically live longer." - Bill Maher
Old 05-07-06, 10:58 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Damp also believes he's the 2nd best center in the league so you must consider the source...
Old 05-07-06, 11:06 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

dampier is a joke
Old 05-07-06, 11:07 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Jerry Stackhouse is talking sh*t??!!

First dampier and now Jerry Stackhouse??

Avery tell the scrubs to shut the hell up!!

-J.W.