News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 05-07-06, 12:07 AM
SpursReport Rookie

My top 10 factors for Dallas matchup

#1) Paint defense (unbelievable Dirk isn't #1) - Tim feasted on the the King's inside defenders, but Dallas (Diop in particular) may make him prove he can still hit his outside shot. And we all know, as Tim goes so do the Spurs.

#2) Rebounds (unbelievable Dirk isn't #2) - Life sucks when we get outrebounded, especially when they're hurting us on the offensive glass. Howard has to be kept off the boards, and Rasho or Nazr need to make the best of their minutes by hitting the glass.

#3) Penetration (unbelievable Dirk isn't #3) - Terry is faster on defense than Bibby, and both Howard and Griffin can hound Manu. It's all a matter of heart and energy as to whether TP and Manu will break them down with penetration.

#4) Dirk - Dallas says they've learned from Bonzi that the best way to play Bruce is to bully him with the post-up. Unfortunately for Dirk he's not as agile off the dribble as a 2 guard, and funneling him into our big men is just what we want.

#5) Josh Howard - He's the reason we have to continue starting Horry, the only sensible match-up with Bruce guarding Dirk. If Tim plays Dirk for short stretches, and Bowen guards Howard, expect Dallas to take the Bonzi approach with the bigger Howard.

#6) Parker's outside shot - I expect Dallas will sag behind screens the same way Sacto did to keep Tony from penetrating. If they give him the outside shot, he's got to punish them.

#7) Stackhouse vs Finley - I hate Jerry Stackhouse, but these sixth man guards will get lots of key minutes, maybe even closing out games. Finley's got to keep his roll going and work hard on defense.

#8) Three-pointers - Will we get open shots and will we continue to knock em down?

#9) Rest vs rust - This is the closest we'll come to a back-to-back, but aren't we supposed to be the deepest team?

#10) Back-up PG - Both NVE and Beno will have trouble keeping up with Devin Harris, and I don't have a good answer for that except hope his inexperience prevents him from playing much of a factor.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-07-06, 12:13 AM

It will be interesting to see if AJ can predict Pops moves. One thing the Spurs did particularly well against Sacto, was scoring out of a timeout, AJ's familarity with the Spurs may negate that....may
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-07-06, 12:17 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Location: Bangalore - Silicon Valley East - Ex hyderabd, Cupertino/CA & Campinas Brazil, Houston and SanAntonio

Ok Good Stuff
Old 05-07-06, 12:35 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAD
Ok Good Stuff
hey KAD... Are you living in Campinas?
Old 05-07-06, 01:06 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Does everyone think that Pop's "playbook" hasn't been updated since 1999? Also, it is one think to know the plays but you still have to execute.

I think rebounding will be the biggest key in the series. For all their talk of defense, the mavs still like to run the fast break. If we rebound well, they won't be able to do that. We also need to concentrate on transition defense when they do get the ball.
Old 05-07-06, 01:07 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pessimist
#11) Shutting down Brad Davis from the 3pt line

Who is Brad Davis???

"Today's game is style over substance. He's the opposite. He's substance over style. I think he's appreciated. I don't think he's adored."
Dave Odom, Duncan's college coach
Old 05-07-06, 10:30 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
#10) Back-up PG - Both NVE and Beno will have trouble keeping up with Devin Harris, and I don't have a good answer for that except hope his inexperience prevents him from playing much of a factor.
I'm afraid of it, Harris killed NVE in a game early in the season
Old 05-07-06, 11:16 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pressurez
#3) Penetration (unbelievable Dirk isn't #3) - Terry is faster on defense than Bibby, and both Howard and Griffin can hound Manu. It's all a matter of heart and energy as to whether TP and Manu will break them down with penetration
#8) Three-pointers - Will we get open shots and will we continue to knock em down?
I think this is a good list in general, but I believe #3 and #8 are the biggest keys for the Spurs. These are two of the Spurs' biggest strengths, and the weakest links in the Dallas defense, which is otherwise much improved.

I am Soooo psyched for this series. I think this will be the best series of the entire playoffs this year. I'm picking Spurs in seven, but whatever happens, I predict a bunch of tough, hard-fought, well-played games.
Old 05-07-06, 11:24 AM
SpursReport Team Member

If AJ knows the Spurs system...I suspect Pop knows Aj's system. Advantage- Pop. 3 Championships as head coach to AJ's none.

I look for Bruce to step up the D in this series. He was a little (not much) less than stellar in the first round. He knows the Mavs. My money says Brucey Bruce reminds everyone why he is a perennial DOP candidate.

The biggest factor in this series to me is how well Nazr and Rasho crash the boards. If they don't get it done right away, we might see a little Fabricio court time. We know he can crash the boards. His defensive rotations are the only question marks for me. Rasho is our best help defender in the big department.

All of our success though is predicated on the big three doing what they do. Get any two of them going and say goodnight, next series.

Who will be the big shot maker this series? Finley.
Old 05-07-06, 11:31 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Chauffeur
I

Who will be the big shot maker this series? Finley.
I sincerely hope so. It would be poetic justice.