News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 04-29-06, 05:20 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Could someone please explain..

...to me what exactly the play was that Pop called on the Spurs last possession and other than the obvious, what was supposed to happen as opposed to what did happen. This may already have been covered in another thread but as I am forever banished to the internet hell known as "dial-up" it takes me forever to go through each post on every thread. In other words...
...WHAT THE HELL WENT WRONG WITH THE PLAY !!! Thanks in advance !!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-29-06, 05:31 PM
SpursReport Team Member

looked like a manu drive and kick to me...bibby read it, stepped up, and made a great steal. what can you say. i guess you just wish manu wouldve passed it before bibby came.

if manu couldve taken to the rack he wouldve. the defense stepped up so he tried to kick it or get fouled. niether happened. really awful to watch
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-29-06, 07:28 PM
SpursReport Team Member

manu should have sat on the three point line threw the ball up at the rim with 1 on the shot clock.... they might have had a second or two to make a shot on us..... if that

mental error
Old 04-29-06, 07:47 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

I don't think Bibby made a "great steal". I think the refs swallowed their whistles on this play after blowing them on a similar play in Nets-Pacers Game 1.

I suppose consitentcy is a bit too much to ask for from NBA officials.

But you take the bad calls or non-calls (in this case) and press on. Nothing we can do about that now.

Manu shouldn't hang his head over the play and Bibby shouldn't be too proud of himself.

This series is winding down and will end on Tuesday.
Old 04-29-06, 08:11 PM
SpursReport Team Member

manu lost the ball. youre not gonna get bailed out by the refs every time. second time this year the spurs have had to learn that the hard way.
Old 04-29-06, 08:52 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB
I don't think Bibby made a "great steal". I think the refs swallowed their whistles on this play after blowing them on a similar play in Nets-Pacers Game 1.

I suppose consitentcy is a bit too much to ask for from NBA officials.

But you take the bad calls or non-calls (in this case) and press on. Nothing we can do about that now.

Manu shouldn't hang his head over the play and Bibby shouldn't be too proud of himself.

This series is winding down and will end on Tuesday.
Yeah, but the refs are less likely to respond in the last play. That's a given just like if Kings attacked the Spurs and they played them physical.

The problem with the play is Bibby was going to cheat since he was guarding Parker. If you cheat off anyone out there(during that play, it's him).

Out there, you had Barry, Finley, Duncan, and Parker with Manu as the ball handler. Parker should have been handling, but since he wasn't, he should have been sitting. In place of him, you stick Horry out there. There would have been no cheating if Horry was out there.

Then you could either post Duncan(with good spacing) or at least have clear lanes for a screen and roll.

"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at this rock perhaps 100 times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the 101st blow, it will split in two and I know it was not that blow that did it. But all that had gone before." - Jacob Riis
Old 04-29-06, 09:00 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Hindsight is always 20/20. Manu had always come through during crunch time. This time he didn't. It happens, but I can bet it won't happen again to Manu any time soon.
Old 04-29-06, 09:10 PM
SpursReport Team Member

^^Why, because Pop won't trust him with the ball again in such situations? Or does Manu have a good history of coming back strong after having a very weak performance? (Keeping fingers crossed for second.)
Old 04-29-06, 09:13 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by penwhen
^^Why, because Pop won't trust him with the ball again in such situations? Or does Manu have a good history of coming back strong after having a very weak performance? (Keeping fingers crossed for second.)
I guess I wasn't clear enough. I have always been a supporter of Manu and the rest of the Spurs. So the second reason most certainly applies. Sorry for the lack of clarity.

Manu has saved us too many times for Pop to lose faith in him.
Old 04-29-06, 09:46 PM
SpursReport Team Member

the problem could have been that without Duncan down low on the block and Horry setting the pick, it was too congested for Manu to pass and the Spurs to get a good look at a shot.

There was nobody within 15 feet of the basket. On the left side where Manu would have likely passed there were 2 Spurs behind the arc. Even if Bibby didn't hack and get the ball and Manu got the ball to Parker, Parker would have been covered by the short rotation from the man to his left.
Old 04-29-06, 10:28 PM
Play-By-Play Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by penwhen
Oh how quickly they forget Lord. Don't you remember Game 2 of the WCF last year?!?!?! Manu basically won the game for the Spurs with those type of plays. So he got the ball stolen one time, this guy has done that play time and time again. He can't convert ALL of them.