SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-06, 01:26 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

The Reality of the Spurs in Game 3

This is the reality of the Spurs-Kings Game 3:

Spurs lost the game 93-94.

The Spurs withstood the inevitable Kings run at Arco, and fell down by only 14.

In the 4th quarter, the Spurs took the lead and exchanged it several times and had a 2 point lead with mere seconds left.

Mike Bibby had finally a great game (25 pts, 8 assists although he struggled continued his struggles from the field).

Brad Miller finally had a solid game (12 pts, 6 rebs, 4 assists)

Ron Artest returned and provide a lift himself (22 pts, 12 rebs) while players like Bonzi Wells and Kevin Martin continued to make important contributions.

The Kings played extremely well at home and built a 14 pt lead, but as in Game 2, could not sustain it in the 4th quarter.

For the Spurs, Tim Duncan returned to his form of old (29 pts, 12 rebs and 6 blks) while his All Star teammates (Ginobili and Parker) struggled to combine for 20 pts on 7 of 22 shooting.

In fact, Duncan outscored the rest of the Spurs starting lineup 29-24.

The Spurs lost Game 3 by 1 point, on a bullsh!t non-call on Bibby and despite their 2 All Star guards stinking the joint up tonight.

What does all this stuff mean???

It means they took the Kings best shot AT Arco, and with their 2nd and 3rd best players struggling badly - still only lost by 1 point on a controversial non-call by a referee.

It means that despite getting almost NOTHING from the other 4 starters aside from Duncan, the Spurs still only lost by 1 point.

You always hate to lose, but you take absolutely nothing negative from this game.

Rest assured, Sunday will be the last game of the season for the Sacramento Kings in ARCO Arena.

The Kings gave us their best shot and still only won by 1 point.

The end now is not in question - it's only inevitable now.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-29-06, 01:29 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Exactly my thoughts -- that's why I have chosen not to post until now.. I'm not at all worried. I don't think the SPURS collectively can play this poorly again.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-29-06, 01:30 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Great post, although I'm not sure if "controversial non-call" is stretching the truth a bit. Is that something the KENS-TV broadcast mentioned?
Old 04-29-06, 01:31 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Spurs in 5
Old 04-29-06, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurssheriff
Great post, although I'm not sure if "controversial non-call" is stretching the truth a bit. Is that something the KENS-TV broadcast mentioned?
That's my term.

It was an obvious foul by Bibby on the Ginobili strip - but they didn't call it.

Fine. You deal with it, that's the way it goes some nights.

But if you're Sacramento - you can't honestly take much from this.

You gave the Spurs your best shot to the mouth, they took it, came back and pimp slapped you in the last minute of the game.

The Kings stars finally played well, while the other 4 Spurs starters stunk the joint up and yet, they escape with a 1 point win.

That's all their really is to it.

I don't walk away from this game with my head hung low.

I walk away smiling.
Old 04-29-06, 01:36 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
WTF MY POSTS ARE DISAPPEARING!
Stop posting irrelevant crap...

And read the RULES!
Old 04-29-06, 01:38 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

I think this thread is fine on its own. lets move on
Old 04-29-06, 01:38 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB

The Spurs lost Game 3 by 1 point, on a bullsh!t non-call on Bibby and despite their 2 All Star guards stinking the joint up tonight.

What does all this stuff mean???

It means they took the Kings best shot AT Arco, and with their 2nd and 3rd best players struggling badly - still only lost by 1 point on a controversial non-call by a referee.
I don't agree with that Notion. We all know that refs hardly call any fouls with the game on the line like that. Instead of putting it on the referee's,Put it on Manu and Coach pop for the poorly execution.
Old 04-29-06, 01:39 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought Manu got hammered on that steal. He was freakin' mugged!! Oh well. All they did was piss of the Spurs. No more wins for you this year.
Old 04-29-06, 01:40 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

I think Manu got hammered too

but the refs were horrible so its no suprise it wasnt called
Old 04-29-06, 01:41 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I think the reality is we need to stop Wells and Artest from taking it straight to the basket. We really need to make adjustments to stop them.

And Realistically, I'm going to be sick if people really think that non-call was "controversial". Bibby didnt alter the shot in anyway. Give credit where its due.

RichB, It doesnt matter how they beat us, it just matters that they dont do it... If the Kings can beat us with out a few key players going off, it says something about the Spurs IMO, not the Kings. There's no one way to look at it... So what happens when all the Kings play well?

"you take absolutely nothing negative from this game" I think this is a bit of a stretch too. The Spurs can always improve. Criticism is key to becoming better... And I know the coaching staff knows that. Lets not pretend we cant take something from this game.
Old 04-29-06, 01:41 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
That's my term.

It was an obvious foul by Bibby on the Ginobili strip - but they didn't call it.

Fine. You deal with it, that's the way it goes some nights.

But if you're Sacramento - you can't honestly take much from this.

You gave the Spurs your best shot to the mouth, they took it, came back and pimp slapped you in the last minute of the game.

The Kings stars finally played well, while the other 4 Spurs starters stunk the joint up and yet, they escape with a 1 point win.

That's all their really is to it.

I don't walk away from this game with my head hung low.

I walk away smiling.
I wouldn't go as far as to say smiling because it's important for a verteran team to get as much rest as possible and win a short series (perferably a sweep) but I agree that this is just a meaningless game and Spurs will look confident going into game 4.

However, the last three times the Spurs went up 0-2 at home, they went on to lose the next 2 games on the road.

I think this time will be different.
Old 04-29-06, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazinskillz
I don't agree with that Notion. We all know that refs hardly call any fouls with the game on the line like that. Instead of putting it on the referee's,Put it on Manu and Coach pop for the poorly execution.
I thought it was the obvious play.

Manu is our best creator and everyone knew he was going to handle the ball down the stretch. Which is why Artest was guarding him so physical. Ron did a good job forcing him out so far from the basket.

Manu did take a bit longer than I hoped, but he was obviously fouled by Bibby.

If the NBA referees are going to decide the Pacers-Nets Game 1 on a touch foul, they should call this foul in this game. It's only being consistent.

Regardless of the foul, they (Bibby, Artest, Miller) played great while 4 Spurs starters combined for 24 pts and only won by 1 point.

Despite the loss, you only take positives away from this game.
Old 04-29-06, 01:45 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
Instead of putting it on the referee's,Put it on Manu and Coach pop for the poorly execution.
I agree. You can't put it on the refs to win the game for you.

Either way.. It's a great post, Rich.
Old 04-29-06, 01:45 AM
Play-By-Play Moderator

TURNOVERS are the only thing that bothers me. I don't care if Manu was fouled on the last play, that should have never happened. YOUR IN THE FREKINg NBA FOR CRYING OUT LOUD. If another guys comes to help defend you on your strong side, you have to pass the ball to the open guy. This is fundamental Spurs basketball. What a crappy wasy to lose that game. Yes they came back from 14 down blah..blah..blah but nobody's going to remember that, they will remember Manu's turnover. And don't be so sure of "This is only one game". Remember last year against Seattle, 1 point loss in Game 3 and another mini-blowout in Game 4 and just like that, series tied. This maybe the fuel that the Kings need to get back in this.
Old 04-29-06, 01:46 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

now i'm a fair guy, been a member on spursreport for a while, but i must say something.

no offense richB, but your post is full of crap. "the reality of blah blah"........

come one pal. "a b/s non call on bibby"??????????? DUDE!!

i dont think that's fair. it WASN'T b/s! if a foul woudlve been called then THAT wouldve been b/s. bibby made a great defensive play and martin finished it. the kings have stuck with the spurs on the defensive end all series with the exception of game 1.

you should be thankful the kings are not up 2-1. today the spurs (finley) hit ANOTHER 3-pointer that couldve put the kings down 0-3. so im glad mike and kevin made that play.

during the postgame interview bibby was asked if that steal he got made up for his defensive collapse from game 2. mike replied "nothing can make up for that, NOTHING". he knows as well as everyone else (spur fan or not) the kings should be up 2-1.
Old 04-29-06, 01:47 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
you should be thankful the kings are not up 2-1
Get outta here. YOU should be thankful Sac is not down 0-3

and even if Sac had won game 2 there is no possible way to claim that SA loses tonight. It could have been a totally different game

reality is the Kings are still DONE
Old 04-29-06, 01:47 AM

Quote:
I thought it was the obvious play.

Manu is our best creator and everyone knew he was going to handle the ball down the stretch. Which is why Artest was guarding him so physical. Ron did a good job forcing him out so far from the basket.

Manu did take a bit longer than I hoped, but he was obviously fouled by Bibby.

If the NBA referees are going to decide the Pacers-Nets Game 1 on a touch foul, they should call this foul in this game. It's only being consistent.

Regardless of the foul, they (Bibby, Artest, Miller) played great while 4 Spurs starters combined for 24 pts and only won by 1 point.

Despite the loss, you only take positives away from this game.
Pop was a little subpar on his play calling in that play. He could have given Manu more spacing if he had Horry in there. Or, he could have had Parker handle, since Bibby was guarding him. But Parker as a shooter? I'd rather have Horry as the extra man out there.

Who gets to cheat when you have Barry, Finley, Horry on the perimeter and Duncan near the key with Manu handling.

"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at this rock perhaps 100 times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the 101st blow, it will split in two and I know it was not that blow that did it. But all that had gone before." - Jacob Riis
Old 04-29-06, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnificent

you should be thankful the kings are not up 2-1. today the spurs (finley) hit ANOTHER 3-pointer that couldve put the kings down 0-3. so im glad mike and kevin made that play.
One thing Spurs do well, is bounce back from losses. If they lost game 2, they likely would have come out a long more efficient in game 3. They did that last year and in previous years when they lost a game on the home court.

"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at this rock perhaps 100 times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the 101st blow, it will split in two and I know it was not that blow that did it. But all that had gone before." - Jacob Riis
Old 04-29-06, 01:49 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzG
Get outta here. YOU should be thankful Sac is not down 3-0
i am.
Old 04-29-06, 01:49 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Well. This is a tight series. As the TNT announcer said.. One bounce here or one bounce there and the Spurs could be down 2-1.

Still... I think Spurs in 5.
Old 04-29-06, 01:51 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzG
Get outta here. YOU should be thankful Sac is not down 0-3

and even if Sac had won game 2 there is no possible way to claim that SA loses tonight. It could have been a totally different game

reality is the Kings are still DONE
Agreed, and even if we did lose game 2, I think the spurs would come out with even more fire and whooped some kings ass.
Oh, and if you want to argue more with spurs fans your wasting your time, just go here:
www.kingsfans.com they need plenty of help there.

~Ian
Old 04-29-06, 01:52 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Good post. I was thinking the same thing. Although I was disappointed at the loss, the fact that the Kings were hitting on all cylinders and that with the exception of Duncan the Spurs had a bad night and still only lost by one shows that despite tonight's game this series is all but over.

Also, I do believe I saw the real Tim stand up this evening and to me that was very encouraging. This was a great warm-up game for him as he prepares for the finals.
Old 04-29-06, 01:53 AM

Well, I wouldn't say no one else besides Duncan stood up. Finley did play well also.

Old 04-29-06, 01:57 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I guess it's okay for the Kings to grab the net while the ball was bouncing around at the end, too?
Old 04-29-06, 02:01 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Something to consider - coming off an emotional high like this, it will be very difficult for Sac to produce a similar effort in the next game. Just saying.
Old 04-29-06, 02:08 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Spurs in six.
Old 04-29-06, 02:10 AM
SpursReport Rookie

The reason we lost this game was b/c of PG play. Bibby stepped it up and Parker didn't respond. Simple as that.

And the refs sucked at the beginning of the 4th for both sides with the ticky tack fouls. I'm actually glad they let them play the last few minutes cause I couldn't have stood wathching a free throw shooting contest to decide the game. And just incase anyone has figured it out yet, Kevin Martin can Play.
Old 04-29-06, 02:11 AM

Quote:
now i'm a fair guy, been a member on spursreport for a while, but i must say something.

no offense richB, but your post is full of crap. "the reality of blah blah"........

come one pal. "a b/s non call on bibby"??????????? DUDE!!

i dont think that's fair. it WASN'T b/s! if a foul woudlve been called then THAT wouldve been b/s. bibby made a great defensive play and martin finished it. the kings have stuck with the spurs on the defensive end all series with the exception of game 1.

during the postgame interview bibby was asked if that steal he got made up for his defensive collapse from game 2. mike replied "nothing can make up for that, NOTHING". he knows as well as everyone else (spur fan or not) the kings should be up 2-1.
Wait a minute.

You haven't posted since earlier today - BEFORE the game.

After the Game 1 performance by the Kings, you didn't post for almost 2 days and several here called you out on it.

You claimed that you didn't post because you were at work. Some gave you the benefit of the doubt. I didn't. I knew you were hiding.

Quote:
im only online m-f. at work. so sorry, i wasn't hiding.
I suppose you're still at work at this time of the night?

If you really think the Kings should be up 2-1 in this series, you need to ask Ron Artest if his psychiatrist has a 2 for 1 deal.

Re-read my post magnificent. It's your reality and that of your team.

Whether you are man enough to admit it or not.

Last edited by RichB; 04-29-06 at 02:21 AM.
Old 04-29-06, 02:12 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

The reality of game three:

Yup. It's ugly.
Old 04-29-06, 02:14 AM
MomBear

Hey Rasho played pretty well tonight...

and wow magnificent... I thought you only had access to a computer during working hours..

aww Rich you beat me to it...
Old 04-29-06, 02:18 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

for the Spurs in 6 predictions

i just dont see it. I would think SA wins on Sunday..they will be pissed they let this one get away. SA will then close it out at home. They wont let something slip where they have to get back on a plane to Calif for a game 6 in the first round. The kings have won their last game
Old 04-29-06, 02:24 AM
SpursReport Team Member

That final play was poorly executed by the Spurs, Bibby got a clean steal on Manu and instantly Manu flopped down to draw the foul on Bibby. That is the reality of the play, fan or not, and the steal led to a fast break basket with no time remaining on the clock to win the game for them. The way that ball bounced in to the rim, it ate the clock up. This is a tough loss for the Spurs, but they will hopefully bounce back from a game that got taken away from them. I liked the way the Spurs played until that final possession. It was ugly. I give the Kings credit for a great defensive play on Manu. Though, like some have stated it could have been called a foul on Bibby, there was some contact on the wrist but there was more contact with the ball I think. Damn!
Old 04-29-06, 02:27 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Wait a minute, this was the Kings best shot?

They pretty much had SA beat if not for Barry's fortunate bounce in Game 2. Was that SA's best shot as well?

Fact of the matter is over the last 96 minutes of ball in this series, it's been a dead heat and these teams have looked very evenly matched, even though SA has a ridiculous talent advantage over Sactown.

Hard to take away too much positive from 2 games right down to the wire against a team which is the easiest competition the Spurs will have this postseason.

All that said, SA in 5. But the championship calibre ball is not being shown right now.
Old 04-29-06, 02:31 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryan Yahood
Wait a minute, this was the Kings best shot?

They pretty much had SA beat if not for Barry's fortunate bounce in Game 2. Was that SA's best shot as well?

Fact of the matter is over the last 96 minutes of ball in this series, it's been a dead heat and these teams have looked very evenly matched, even though SA has a ridiculous talent advantage over Sactown.

Hard to take away too much positive from 2 games right down to the wire against a team which is the easiest competition the Spurs will have this postseason.
THANK YOU!

somebody actually saying what I'm thinking.
Old 04-29-06, 02:35 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

i have a computer at home. im never on it. and i was on last weekend for a brief second after the kings were blown out. why do i have to hide? i was online first thing wednesday morning (the day after the kings lost to that barry 3) to talk basketball.

anyways, since im in for the night (not going out) i thought i'd get online and get the scoop
Old 04-29-06, 02:40 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

I am never smiling after a loss. Yes, we do take some good things from this loss, but the reality is that we lost the game with our poor defense, rebounding, free throws and turnovers. So far, we haven't played good defense for an entire game in this series and that is not a good thing. We have been out rebounded in both games 2 and 3. We should have corrected that in game 3 and yet, we still were out hustled. We missed free throws and technical shots that would have changed the game. We also had too many turnovers giving the Kings extra shooting opportunities.

I would feel better if we improved the bad things from game 2 in game 3. We still haven't. Yes it is great that Timmy played MVP BB, and that Rasho opened some eyes with his hustle, and that Finley had yet another pretty good game, but that is NOT enough.

Oh well, I still believe the Spurs will bounce back on Sunday and then close it out at home.

GO SPURS GO
Old 04-29-06, 02:42 AM

Quote:
i have a computer at home. im never on it. and i was on last weekend for a brief second after the kings were blown out. why do i have to hide? i was online first thing wednesday morning (the day after the kings lost to that barry 3) to talk basketball.

anyways, since im in for the night (not going out) i thought i'd get online and get the scoop
So you never once considred talking basketball while at home after Game 1?

Bullsh!t. You were hiding and you know it.

You want the scoop? The scoop is this:

You'll run and hide as early as next week, when your team is sent packing and you have no one else to annoy with your ignorant rhetoric.
Old 04-29-06, 02:44 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

be kind to your fellow man er.. king fan
Old 04-29-06, 02:44 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousspirit
I am never smiling after a loss. Yes, we do take some good things from this loss, but the reality is that we lost the game with our poor defense, rebounding, free throws and turnovers. So far, we haven't played good defense for an entire game in this series and that is not a good thing. We have been out rebounded in both games 2 and 3. We should have corrected that in game 3 and yet, we still were out hustled. We missed free throws and technical shots that would have changed the game. We also had too many turnovers giving the Kings extra shooting opportunities.
But, but, but we should "take absolutely nothing negative from this game"
Old 04-29-06, 02:50 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
So you never once considred talking basketball while at home after Game 1?
actually i had things to do. it was 7pm on a saturday night. sorry i didnt get online and play. i only do it when its convinient for me. right now is one of those times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by To be named later
It is interesting how Mag is nowhere to be seen after a Kings loss, but is on the board 20 minutes after a win.
i was here right after the game 2 loss
Old 04-29-06, 02:51 AM

Quote:
actually i had things to do. it was 7pm on a saturday night. sorry i didnt get online and play. i only do it when its convinient for me. right now is one of those times.
Of course you did.

I suppose you had something to do ALL DAY Sunday as well.
Old 04-29-06, 02:53 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

lets not talk about where mag was after the game 1 loss. its really not important. believe me! this is about the series.
Old 04-29-06, 02:59 AM

Quote:
lets not talk about where mag was after the game 1 loss. its really not important. believe me! this is about the series.
Of course it's not important, it doesn't benefit you.

Just as you claim that the Spurs regular season record doesn't mean anything - but yet we're supposed to be afraid of the Kings because of how well they played with Artest in the regular season.

I've told you this before and I really wish you would listen to advice.

The more you talk, the worse you make yourself look.

It's one thing to be positive, it's another thing to be ignorant.
Old 04-29-06, 03:03 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Its nice to not have to rely on one game for all my post-season celebrating and smack talking.
Old 04-29-06, 03:03 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Is this what hijacking a thread means?
Old 04-29-06, 03:04 AM
MomBear

Old 04-29-06, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNate
Its nice to not have to rely on one game for all my post-season celebrating and smack talking.

On that note.....
Old 04-29-06, 03:23 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousspirit

I would feel better if we improved the bad things from game 2 in game 3. We still haven't. Yes it is great that Timmy played MVP BB, and that Rasho opened some eyes with his hustle, and that Finley had yet another pretty good game, but that is NOT enough.

Oh well, I still believe the Spurs will bounce back on Sunday and then close it out at home.

GO SPURS GO
This is more of the reflection I'd go with. Plus a little note about their 2/3 dominance and a mark on how well Duncan and your bench continues to play.

I don't know about RichB chasing Mag around like a jilted lover who didn't spend the night. This is the second game after the blow out. If he didn't come around after game 1 then you call him out when he shows up next and then move on (its a message board after all). From what he says he was here after game 2 so you calling him out again now is just taking out your dissapointment on him.
Old 04-29-06, 03:27 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

More reality from Game 3: