News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-06, 04:55 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Mc Callum: Nine times out of 10 Barry's shot doesn't fall

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....observations/

The first five days of the playoffs have brought few surprises, outside of Brent Barry's high-bounce corner jumper actually making it into the basket in Game 2 of the San Antonio-Sacramento series. Nine times out of 10 ... make that 19 times out of 20, that shot doesn't go in. Had the Kings defeated the Spurs without the suspended Ron Artest, now that would've been a big surprise.

Here's a five-pack of thoughts that are on my mind while we wait to see if Miami's Udonis Haslem practices better dental hygiene in Game 3 on Thursday night.

The contrast between San Antonio and Detroit
From Day One these teams have been my pick to make it to the Finals, and nothing has changed. But it's fascinating the degree to which San Antonio, the champion, changed its team over the summer, while Detroit elected to play with a pat hand.

Nick Van Exel and Michael Finley, two offseason pickups, are playing key roles for the Spurs. And Barry, whose Hail Mary three got the Spurs into overtime in Game 2, was on the trading block during the season. Since then, he's played some of the best basketball of his career.

The Pistons, meanwhile, just keep rolling along, as predictable as an Artest screwup. Unlike most coaches, Flip Saunders will not be shrinking his rotation in the postseason. It's been pre-shrunk. Pencil in his starting five, insert Antonio McDyess for offense, Lindsey Hunter for defense and Maurice Evans (the one new face from last season) for a little of both.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-28-06, 05:21 AM
SpursReport Team Member

9 times out of 10, Barry makes that wide open shot.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-28-06, 05:32 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
And Barry, whose Hail Mary three got the Spurs into overtime in Game 2, was on the trading block during the season.
I didn't know facing the basket, squaring your shoulders, and shooting from just beyond the arc was considered a Hail Mary.
Old 04-28-06, 05:34 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Isn't sports journalism great?

That shot should have swished.
Old 04-28-06, 08:18 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by edinscot08
I didn't know facing the basket, squaring your shoulders, and shooting from just beyond the arc was considered a Hail Mary.
Maybe Bones should be credited only with an assist, seeing as how the basket was actually slammed down with authority by the Holy Mother...

(...who then hung from the rim for a while, before beating her chest and calling the Kings all sorts of words their own mothers never taught them.)

(While hanging off the rim her swinging size 5s maliciously kicked Manu's arm into Horry. Instant karma.)

(How did her dunk count for three when most only score 2? That's the miracle, my friends...)

Last edited by SupermanThree; 04-28-06 at 08:26 AM.
Old 04-28-06, 08:22 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

I could be wrong, but I think he meant that the shot that hits the rim and bounces around like Barry's doesnt go in 9 out of 10 times, not necessarily Barry shooting a 3 would not go in 9 out of 10 times.
Old 04-28-06, 08:43 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by japre8
I could be wrong, but I think he meant that the shot that hits the rim and bounces around like Barry's doesnt go in 9 out of 10 times, not necessarily Barry shooting a 3 would not go in 9 out of 10 times.
You're probably right, but it's the playoffs, so we show more disgust than usual towards "analysts". I know I didn't hate Steven Smith nearly as much during the '04-'05 regular season as I did during the post -season.
Old 04-28-06, 08:48 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Only thing that matters now is that the shot went in... YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-28-06, 08:58 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by edinscot08
He even said he was surprised that it didn't go in cleanly. A guy who is 3/6 from 3 with a wide open shot?
3.) I will never, in any situation, argue when I can discuss
Old 04-28-06, 09:06 AM
SpursReport Rookie

But Barry did make it, Mcallum, SO SUCK IT!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-28-06, 09:34 AM
Delusional Manu Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurssheriff
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....observations/

Nine times out of 10 ... make that 19 times out of 20, that shot doesn't go in. Had the Kings defeated the Spurs without the suspended Ron Artest, now that would've been a big surprise.
"Had the Kings defeated the Spurs without the suspended Ron Artest, now that would've been a big surprise."

Yeah yeah......If my momma had a peenus she would be my dad.......What's your point???????????

"He said, 'Go for every pump fake,' " Hibbert said.
Old 04-28-06, 09:41 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I think he is commenting more on the lucky bounces rather than barry's ability to knock down an open 3 from the corner.

you gotta admit that your heart starting to sink when that ball bounced like that.
Old 04-28-06, 09:49 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnwhuxley

That shot should have swished.
Bingo

people talk about how lucky it was. it should have been a pefect shot more than not going in
Old 04-28-06, 09:49 AM
MomBear

We only needed him to do that once that night... and he did...
Old 04-28-06, 09:56 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

In reality that shot went in 100% (1/1) of the time.
Old 04-28-06, 10:29 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomBear
We only needed him to do that once that night... and he did...
"9 times out of 10..."

"Lucky shot"

Etc...

No matter what they say, they're still down 0-2.

Old 04-28-06, 10:57 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Why don't we hear more about how Sacto couldn't capitalize when the Spurs defense took the night off? Thats probably a more accurate protrayal than stating San Antonio required a lucky shot to win.
Old 04-28-06, 01:35 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quin Barry, the 5 ½-year-old son of the San Antonio Spurs' Brent Barry, had fallen asleep long before dad's lucky-bounce three-pointer forced overtime in Game 2 of their playoff series against the Sacramento Kings on Tuesday.

According to the San Antonio Express-News, the kid didn't sound all that impressed when he finally did learn about it, either.

"Mom says you made a three-pointer," Quin said as he greeted his dad. "Do you want to see my light saber?"

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...16_chat28.html
Old 04-28-06, 02:29 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Location: Bangalore - Silicon Valley East - Ex hyderabd, Cupertino/CA & Campinas Brazil, Houston and SanAntonio

Yup The Pistons have been a predictable bunch who'll end up the Finals runner up again!
Old 04-28-06, 02:58 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

just sweep the kings. really, because if the kings win their next two home games and push this thing to a game 7 and lose the series, everyone will be pointing at that last second barry shot.

the same way everyone would've been pointing at that .4 shot fisher made if they beat detroit in the finals. everyone wearing .4 t-shirts
Old 04-28-06, 03:02 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzG
Bingo

people talk about how lucky it was. it should have been a pefect shot more than not going in
I second that...

...like I said in another thread, the Kings would have been lucky if he missed that shot.
Old 04-28-06, 03:12 PM
There is only 1 Ginobili!

To which Jesus displayed,,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupermanThree
Maybe Bones should be credited only with an assist, seeing as how the basket was actually slammed down with authority by the Holy Mother...

(...who then hung from the rim for a while, before beating her chest and calling the Kings all sorts of words their own mothers never taught them.)

(While hanging off the rim her swinging size 5s maliciously kicked Manu's arm into Horry. Instant karma.)

(How did her dunk count for three when most only score 2? That's the miracle, my friends...)

Old 04-28-06, 04:41 PM
MomBear

Quote:
"9 times out of 10..."

"Lucky shot"

Etc...

No matter what they say, they're still down 0-2.

Score Board!

Quote:
Quin Barry, the 5 ½-year-old son of the San Antonio Spurs' Brent Barry, had fallen asleep long before dad's lucky-bounce three-pointer forced overtime in Game 2 of their playoff series against the Sacramento Kings on Tuesday.

According to the San Antonio Express-News, the kid didn't sound all that impressed when he finally did learn about it, either.

"Mom says you made a three-pointer," Quin said as he greeted his dad. "Do you want to see my light saber?"

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...16_chat28.html
that was great!
Old 04-28-06, 07:06 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Buddy Christ owns you.

Yea! LoL!

$
Old 04-28-06, 07:54 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

This is just further proof that people DO NOT respect the Spurs.