News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-06, 07:14 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Sam Cassell's contract is up- and at his age he won't get big offers.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...adlines-sports

Sam Cassell's contract is up, and at his age — he turns 37 early next season — he won't get big offers. If they don't bring him back happy, they're out of their minds, or have reverted.

And Cassell isn't shy about telling them about it.

"Every team I have left, they suffered, you know what I'm saying?" he said. "So you want to suffer, let me get out of here. …

"If I was a season-ticket holder and I see the kind of product they have on the court right now, I would want it for years to come, and if it doesn't happen that way, I'd be totally upset. But this is a golden opportunity for whoever makes the decisions around here to step up and put up or shut up. It's that simple."

Actually, it is. Lots of players run their mouths, although not many like Cassell. On the other hand, there are precious few game-changers and he's one.

If things looked promising in 2001, it took the Clippers five years to deliver. Now they've never had as much to lose.

Their crowds at Games 1 and 2 aren't like Laker crowds, and it only starts with the courtside seats, for which the Lakers charge $2,200 to the Clippers' $800.

Laker season-ticket holders have had them for years, are used to better and now live in hope. All but a few Clipper season-ticket holders arrived after the move to Staples in 1999, aren't used to anything and never dared to hope.

This leads to unusual behavior for local fans … such as wild cheering. Late in the Clippers' Game 2 romp, fans started doing the wave. They were so happy, not to mention so unused to the feeling, they didn't know they were supposed to beat the traffic.

Of course, with the extended TV timeouts, these games do run for a while.

"You didn't tell me these things were so long," Clipper publicist Joe Safety said. "They didn't seem that long from Maui."

Here's the amazing part: The Clippers could be only warming up. If they win this series, they won't be overmatched in the next round.

If they play Phoenix, they'll do it the way Phil Jackson is, socking the ball inside to slow down the Suns … except the Clippers would do it with Brand and Chris Kaman, who are real post players as opposed to occasional ones, as Odom and Luke Walton are.

If it's the Lakers and the Clippers, we'll have our very own NBA Finals!

When was the last time this town ever had a postseason like this?

Oh yeah, never.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-26-06, 07:19 PM
SpursReport Rookie

mybe sam i am can come to SA to replace nve
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-26-06, 07:42 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Sam has said he wants to stay a clipper and finish his career there coming off the bench for Shaun Livingston. Also said he wouldn't ask for a lot of money and would hope to become part of the coaching staff after he does retire. Things can change though but I do expect him to stay there.
Old 04-26-06, 07:46 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I think Cassell talks a little too much for the Spurs, plus I think next year is Beno's time.
3.) I will never, in any situation, argue when I can discuss
Old 04-26-06, 08:00 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Sam I Am is my honest opnion is one of the few and true clutch players out there

1. Horry
2. Kobe
3. Alien?
4. Tmac

developing
Manu, Wade,Gordon, Anthony?, bibby?

if beno has to ride the bench once more, then so be it.
Old 04-26-06, 08:30 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I'd take Manu, Gordon, or Wade taking the last possession before McGrady. He had one amazing finish against the Spurs that is highly publicized, but I don't think of him as a great clutch player. Cassell is ok, but can't make his own shot as well as some of those other guys. You have a (?) next to Anthony, but he's in the top 4 easily.
3.) I will never, in any situation, argue when I can discuss
Old 04-26-06, 08:32 PM
SpursReport Team Member

As stupid as it may be to sign him at his (relatively) advanced age, the dude can ball. Wolves? Best record and West Conference Finals? Clippers? Probably bound to advance to the second round in God knows how long, and maybe even the Western Finals. Sam definitely brings a lotta pride and swagger to whatever team he plays for; I'm surprised at how well he's still playing.
Old 04-26-06, 09:13 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

he's had some regular season clutch plays this year, 5? But I dont know if he really is all that clutch.

Only example I can come up with are the most recent losses to the Clips. I saw him miss 3? times in the first game in the waining seconds.
Old 04-26-06, 10:13 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Doesn't he have chronic back problems like T-Mac?
Old 04-26-06, 10:17 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

sam the alien? dont think so. Last injury I remember him having was some sort of hamstring or groin injury. I could be wrong though.