News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-06, 07:31 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Report: Maloofs could get rid of Adelman

There could be some changes. Charlotte's Bernie Bickerstaff is mulling over whether to kick himself upstairs, the Kings' owners are considering whether to hang onto Rick Adelman or make a splash with Don Nelson or maybe even Larry Brown, who says he plans to stay in New York.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune....ulls-headlines
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-25-06, 07:33 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Is Don Nelson health enough to get back on the bench? He was not looking too good when he stepped down in Dallas last year, but maybe a year on the beach in Hawaii has perked him up a little.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-25-06, 07:48 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

don nelson? what a joke. they should keep Adelman
Old 04-25-06, 08:07 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I've never felt he was a bad coach until Game 1. When the OTHER team's coach is yelling at Ron to calm down and "think" about what he's doing before his own coach realizes he should, you got a problem.
Old 04-25-06, 08:10 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

adelman has been a good coach for the kings. he's always put his teams in a position to win championships. the 2000 blazers and the 2002/2003 kings. but its up to the players to get it done. they havent. but im not gonna use the refs as the excuse. no matter how horribly they officiate.
Old 04-25-06, 08:14 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I think the Maloofs would like to make a coaching change - if they feel they can find someone better.

Larry Brown would probably be interested. He'd like to pull the coaches version of a Michael Finley and get paid by two teams at once.
Old 04-25-06, 08:15 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Imagine Brown and Artest together.
Old 04-25-06, 08:28 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I think Adelman is a little underappreciated.
He has been to two NBA finals, was probably a tipped ball away from another (and almost assuredly a title) in 02.

Not saying he is the greatest coach but probably underappreciated. On the other hand sometimes change is good.
Old 04-25-06, 08:33 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Sacramento definitely needs a change. I'd expect Adelman out. He's a good coach and seems respected by his players - he'll land somewhere else.

That said, Pop is a far better coach. There's no secret Adelman's teams aren't stout of heart and wilt in the clutch. It happened in Portland and the same with the Kings.
Old 04-25-06, 06:48 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Larry Brown? Oh, that's the answer.. He'll be there one season and bail.
Old 04-25-06, 07:09 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnificent
adelman has been a good coach for the kings. he's always put his teams in a position to win championships. the 2000 blazers and the 2002/2003 kings. but its up to the players to get it done. they havent. but im not gonna use the refs as the excuse. no matter how horribly they officiate.
Adleman was not the coach of the 2000 Blazers.
Old 04-25-06, 07:18 PM
SpursReport Team Member

No that was Dunleavy, but Adleman was coach of the 90 and 92 Blazers both of whom went to the NBA finals.
Old 04-25-06, 07:19 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Adelman has hinted that he might decide to move on himself.

He learned in the papers that the Maloofs were going after Phil Jackson, and was really pissed. They then left him without a contract extension, i.e. made him a lame duck coach, which usually leads to failure.

He might just have had it with the disrespect.

Honestly, are they really going to find a better coach out there? The only good people currently available out there are Paul Silas and Stan Van Gundy. Silas is probably a worse coach. Van Gundy might be better, but he may not want to coach.
Old 04-25-06, 07:59 PM
SpursReport Team Member

The Maloofs should have pulled the trigger on this a couple of yrs ago. Adelman's proved again and again his teams are too soft and gutless to get the job done. They need a tougher defensive minded coach....but their window is slammed shut anyways so who cares.
Old 04-25-06, 08:26 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

He shouldn't be coaching them now.

He's lucky he still has a job.

Good coach, not great.

Nelson is no favorite of mine, but I think he could be as effective as Adleman, if not more so.
Old 04-26-06, 01:01 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

A tough call for the Kings. Good enough to get 'em to the playoffs every year, not good enough to get 'em a title. By putting Bonzi Wells and Ron Artest on a team together they're sitting on a powder keg of a locker room, if both of those 2 are cool with Adelman then they're probably better off keeping him around as opposed to bringing in someone new who may or may not be a better coach and may or may not be able to keep those 2 under control.
Old 04-26-06, 01:21 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

The best thing for Adelman is getting fired, it will take him out of a bad situation.
Old 04-26-06, 01:26 AM
SpursReport Team Member

oh not nellie

i think rick did an admirable job this series considering he was on the hot seat all year long. he also had to integrate a very tempremental player his system on the fly, and still managed to get the team into the playoffs for the.... 6th year in a row

rick has had to deal with a LOT of hot heads, and he's done a good job. webber wasn't too keen on coming to sacramento, jim jackson, jason williams, bonzi wells, ron artest. bonzi was well behaved all year, ron was well behaved after coming to sacramento, only 2 T's that i can remember, no flagrants ( until sat) no suspensions, and most importantly, no outburst. we'll see how that continues next year....

eh, we'll see what happens. i never really a big rick fan since he never drilled defense into out team, but i think he really did a good job at the end of the year. i'm 50/50 i guess you could say on if i want him to stay or go. part of me would love to see larry brown coaching ron well the whole team actually. he would whip the kings into shape defensively that is for sure

slapping a yellow "support our troops" sticker on the back of your gas guzzling SUV in the middle of a war for oil makes you an a-holes

cooking is not a chore, cooking is an obsession.

Last edited by evenstar; 04-26-06 at 01:28 AM.
Old 04-26-06, 04:18 AM
Banned

defenitley time for a change. i think silas would make a good choice.