News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-06, 07:27 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Sports Talk SA - "you trade Duncan for Lebron no questions asked"

according to Walter Pasacrita and some callers. Said Lebron makes his teammates better more than Duncan does. Said you build a team around Lebron over Duncan (assuming Duncan is healthy too) easily

I cant agree with that. Duncan when healthy is still as good as anyone in the league IMO and proven he can get it done at the highest levels. I go with building a team around the big man also over a guard. Lebron is a great player but he also isnt totally complete with his subpar defense at times.

its never going to happen but hypothetically I wouldnt do it either
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-17-06, 07:29 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

You don't trade the face of your franchise like that.
Old 04-17-06, 07:31 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Old 04-17-06, 07:31 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Pasacrita is a moron and Sports Talk SA sucks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-17-06, 07:32 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnwhuxley
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-17-06, 07:34 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Even LeBron wished he was Tim Duncan.
Old 04-17-06, 07:37 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Just another one of their "Good Cop/Bad Cop" dramas.
Old 04-17-06, 07:39 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Allow me to express myself on this...

Old 04-17-06, 07:40 PM

Maybe you trade tony/manu + a big + whatevr scrub you need to make the deal work for LBJ, but not Tim. Of course I'd never do that, but imagien Tim and LBJ on one team....dynasty!
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNate
Allow me to express myself on this...

SpursReport Team Bench

Probably just trying to get ratings by starting an obviously stupid debate....
Old 04-17-06, 07:47 PM
MomBear

Did he say that today?

Old 04-17-06, 07:52 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Crack is whack.

"We would have two less championships here if it wasn't for Manu Ginobili," Popovich said. "In my book, Manu Ginobili is the stud of the world."
Old 04-17-06, 08:08 PM
SpursReport Team Member

....can't they find something better to talk about? Obviously not.
Old 04-17-06, 09:10 PM
SpursReport Rookie

That guy just annoys the heck out of me everytime he opens his mouth. They really need some "fresh blood" on that show.
What made it even worse was that they were talking about choosing a player to build a franchise around for one year only.

Last edited by c0pe63; 04-17-06 at 09:12 PM.
Old 04-17-06, 09:46 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

The only guy I'd REMOTELY consider trading Tim for would be Dwight Howard. Even Tim has acknowledged that he'll be glad to be long gone by the time Howard gets it all figured out.

The only reason I'd REMOTELY consider this is the age and money difference.

Spurs have been blessed to have a teammate and leader as bright, generous and talented as Tim. I'd like to think that Tim's is having an effect on the playground level (i.e., inspiring young talents to play his way rather than the ESPN me-first style).
Old 04-17-06, 09:47 PM
SpursReport Team Member

we've all witnessed lebron's awesome ability and amazing potential, but getting it done in the playoffs is what counts. we'll see how he does this year, but at this point in both players' careers it's foolish to say building around lebron is a better choice. he hasn't proven anything to me yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckennaspur1
The only guy I'd REMOTELY consider trading Tim for would be Dwight Howard. Even Tim has acknowledged that he'll be glad to be long gone by the time Howard gets it all figured out.

Spurs have been blessed to have a teammate and leader as bright, generous and talented as Tim. I'd like to think that Tim's is having an effect on the playground level (i.e., inspiring young talents to play his way rather than the ESPN me-first style).
before i put the pipe down, wouldn't it be f*in amazing to have dwight howard in a spurs uni and td play second fiddle to him? sorta the way drob passed the torch down to timmy in his younger years.

not gonna happen, but a fella can dream.
Old 04-17-06, 09:48 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

I feel ya, Blitz. I can't imagine how that would happen, but I'd love to see it.
Old 04-17-06, 09:51 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

whew, I am so glad to hear other people's opinion of Walter. I've been holding back, fearing that he was someone's brother or cousin or something, but he is one of the most annoying radio personalities I've ever listened to.
Old 04-17-06, 10:08 PM
SpursReport Team Member

i would still question trading tim for lebron dwight wade bosh and bill gates'bank account
Old 04-17-06, 10:19 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckennaspur1

You know what? I might do it. He's the ONE guy (since Amare's injuries). And to be honest, I'd consider Lebron. Timmy's got 3, maybe 4 years of high-level ball in him. Lebron and Dwight? 10? 12? And they'll only get better. A trade for Lebron and Dwight woud essentially eliminate a rebuilding process after Timmy, and I think both players would be effectively used by Pop. Interesting to think about.
3.) I will never, in any situation, argue when I can discuss
Old 04-17-06, 10:22 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Interesting to think about.
[quote]

not really. Its prob close to a lock that Duncan will retire a Spur. He certainly deserves too.
Old 04-17-06, 10:28 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

[quote=DizzG]
Quote:

not really. Its prob close to a lock that Duncan will retire a Spur. He certainly deserves too.
It's NOT interesting to think about? I guess interest is subjective. I also like to think of what I'd do with a million dollars, doesn't mean it'll happen.

And if Duncan retires in any other jersey I'd be horrified.
Old 04-17-06, 10:40 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

If this fanchise is ungrateful enough to trade Tim for anyone, anyone, anyone, then I'll probably quit being a Spurs fan.

It isn't all about winning the next one.
Old 04-17-06, 10:45 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
If this fanchise is ungrateful enough to trade Tim for anyone, anyone, anyone, then I'll probably quit being a Spurs fan.

I agree.....but is loyalty to the fans about retaining star players, or about doing whatever it takes to win as much as possible? If Timmy was 35, constantly injured, and a team was crazy enough to offer, say, Amare Stoudemire, would the organization be screwing over the fans to turn it down? I don't know the answer, but in any case, Timmy will and should get the DRob treatment.
Old 04-17-06, 10:51 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

Blahhhhhhhhhh, he makes his teammates better than Tim does, thats why until this year he hasn't made the offs and is a 5th seed this year. Are Tims teammates that much better than his? Is it really worth 20 more wins than the Cavs have? Tims team is not THAT much better than his team when healthy, so why is Lebron better at making others better? I don't get that, although he is a great player and not greedy at all like Kobe is.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 04-17-06, 10:53 PM
MomBear

Quote:

I think the Spurs FO learned from the David Robinson fiasco... they will never do that again...
Old 04-17-06, 11:02 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

The reality is that Holt would trade TD for Lebron in a heartbeat. You realize how much more money Holt can make with Lebron instead of TD? Of course they would never happen, because the Cavs would never do it. But don't lie to yourself - Holt's first priority is the bottom line.
Old 04-17-06, 11:06 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

dude, you're about two weeks late for April Fool's day.
Old 04-17-06, 11:09 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Ill rather keep tim and his 3 championship rings
Old 04-17-06, 11:10 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I'd like to think there would be a significant fan revolt.

Tim Duncan IS the Spurs. Especially to us Joe Sixpack types.
Then chances are good that YOU ALMOST FREAKING KILLED ME IN THE PARKING LOT
Old 04-17-06, 11:22 PM
SpursReport Team Member

The Spurs FO would have to be on crack to ever consider trading TD for anyone.
Old 04-17-06, 11:25 PM
SpursReport Team Member

.....another one of these threads
Old 04-17-06, 11:31 PM
SpursReport Rookie

tim is the reason we've won 4 titles in the last 8 years, but age 21 vs 30. no questions asked.
Old 04-17-06, 11:34 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

^^^
Then chances are good that YOU ALMOST FREAKING KILLED ME IN THE PARKING LOT
Old 04-17-06, 11:39 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Sounds like some hack has a radio show.
Old 04-17-06, 11:50 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

[quote=DizzG]
Quote:

Quote:

You could have said the same thing about DRob and yet things got iffy there for a while and whether he'd remain a Spur.
Old 04-17-06, 11:54 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomBear
I think the Spurs FO learned from the David Robinson fiasco... they will never do that again...
i'm having a hard time remembering what fiasco youre talking about.
Old 04-18-06, 12:30 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I can see Timmy taking a reduced role like Dave did if the Spurs picked up a hot young stud like Wade, James or Bosh but trading him even as he declines is silly if he is still one of the Best Centers/PF in the league. Guards are easy to find but quality big men are becoming rare these days...

"You're being rude to me. Don't chain me down with your manners."
Old 04-18-06, 12:37 AM
MomBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV
i'm having a hard time remembering what fiasco youre talking about.
When they almost didn't resign David because they wanted to sign Chris Webber... No one was real happy about that....
Old 04-18-06, 12:45 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

we should trade rasho for lebron

Dave McNulla
Spurs Fan

Tweet Me
Old 04-18-06, 01:26 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

You don't trade the face of your franchise who has brought us three, almost 4 NBA championships for a player, albeit great and greatly hyped, who has not PROVEN anything yet. Yea, LeBron is amazing but he has not done anything yet. Tim is in his prime can win us 1-2 or 3 more titles before he is ready for a back up role.

Holt may be fiscally responsible and want to make money, but don't believe the fantasy that he would sell out Duncan, even for LeBron.

I can't believe that sports media think they are even credible just because someone gives them a computer or microphone.
Old 04-18-06, 01:29 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Sigh. There's a difference between sports journalism and sports media entertainment.

Also, like we've said, even DRob was almost on the block.
Old 04-18-06, 01:39 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

I have read some "sports journalism" from writers (ESPN for example) as well as sports media entertainment. There is NO distinction in the trash and uninformed writing that goes on with SOME journalists and media. No need to *sigh*. I know what you are trying to say, but in some cases, the resulting output is the same.

I think we learned our lesson with DRob, as MomBear pointed out. We wouldn't make the same mistake again.
Old 04-18-06, 03:32 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

No.
Old 04-18-06, 04:39 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Why is it every time I hear the name Walter Pasacrita the face of Joe Pesci pops in my head. Not the Pesci who played in Good Fellas, but the Pesci who played in Lethal Weapon and Home Alone.
Old 04-18-06, 05:15 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Old 04-18-06, 05:37 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I wouldnt trade Duncan for anyone.I cant believe some idiot on a radio show would bring up something pathetic like that and hes from San Antonio? WOW
Old 04-18-06, 08:17 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomBear
When they almost didn't resign David because they wanted to sign Chris Webber... No one was real happy about that....
OMG, yes, I remember
Old 04-18-06, 09:59 AM
SpursReport Team Member

As I recall Mom...there was the Derek Anderson situation as well....David thought the FO was lowballing HIM (AND THEY WERE) to try and keep DA in town;Remember DRob is ONE of the REASONS the Spurs are still in this town-from everything I have read and HEARD we were VERY close to being gone.

The other point was Derek was angling for guaranteed years which the Spurs couldn't OR wouldn't do.

Jason points out we could have traded DRob for Webber- I disagree and here is why-Tim Duncan's contract was coming up-there would have been NO WAY the Spurs could have paid them both...One of those would have had to take less money- also you had Manu coming up in contract status as well. Except in a VERY few instances the Spurs FO does not do stupid...Webber would have been such a case.

Take Tony Parker- Remember how Peter Holt felt- until a gentleman named DUNCAN had a chat with him.

Frankly I think LeBron stays in Cleveland - for the 1st big contract...Danny Ferry will build a team around him. Now Dwight Howard-yeah I could see that- at the end of Tim's time here...He and Ian would be a force together.