News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 04-17-06, 11:08 AM
SpursReport Team Member

ESPN all over Lakers again

Because of the Lakers defeating the Suns yesterday so bad WITHOUT STEVE NASH OR RAJA BELL, everyone at ESPN, namely, Mark Jackson, Scottie Pippen, and now Greg Anthony believe that if they match up in the first round, the Lakers can beat the Suns.

Please people, we all know your man crushes for Kobe, oh, and by the way Scottie and Mark, what happened to that 100 points prediction you both said he just might get huh? Or ATLEAST over 55 which you both agreed on......

ESPN still loves the Lakers even if they still do suck (7th seed or not, if you shut down Kobe, they are absolutely nothing), and I predict the Suns beat them easily in 5 games if they meet up.
Old 04-17-06, 11:17 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Sure the Suns are vulnerable.

Mark Jackson said their vulnerable in the post and thats where the Lakers could hurt them....

How?

The Lakers don't have any good post players either, their a perimeter oriented team as well.

At least the Suns have 1 or 2 descent shotblockers and rebounders.

And no, Kwame Brown's "breakout with the team" is so overhyped, the dude still sucks so bad, Caron Butler is doing awesome in Washington thanks to the Lakers who traded him for that piece of trash.
Old 04-17-06, 11:18 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Mark Jackson also says Kobe will be better than MJ at the end of his career.
Then chances are good that YOU ALMOST FREAKING KILLED ME IN THE PARKING LOT
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-17-06, 11:19 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

The Suns should definitely win that series but if I was going to make a list of possible first round upsets they'd be on it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-17-06, 11:19 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I generally think those ESPN analysts are worthless when it comes to actually analyzing (especially Gregg Anthony), but I think the series between the Suns and Lakers could go to as many as 6. I don't think the Lakers could win it, but the Suns haven't been a perenially wonderful playoff team, so the Lakers could stretch the series in a couple of close games or OT wins.
Old 04-17-06, 11:22 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I noticed that too Dan, thought it was ridiculous.

The Suns SLAUGHTERED the Lakers in every other game they played this year. They play one game without Nash and Bell, while the rest of the guys have nothing to play for, and Marc Jackson and ESPN call them the upset special. The Lakers are fighting for a playoff spot, the Suns aren't even fighting. I hope the Suns sweep them.

As for upsets, the Cavs are a streaky team that could fold at the drop of a dime, so I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped a series. Same for Denver.
3.) I will never, in any situation, argue when I can discuss
Old 04-17-06, 11:27 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff
I noticed that too Dan, thought it was ridiculous.

The Suns SLAUGHTERED the Lakers in every other game they played this year. They play one game without Nash and Bell, while the rest of the guys have nothing to play for, and Marc Jackson and ESPN call them the upset special. The Lakers are fighting for a playoff spot, the Suns aren't even fighting. I hope the Suns sweep them.

As for upsets, the Cavs are a streaky team that could fold at the drop of a dime, so I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped a series. Same for Denver.
I agree the Cavs are primed for a first round exit. In the west? Maybe Grizz, but who can really call the 4 vs 5 an upset really?
Old 04-17-06, 11:30 AM
SpursReport Rookie

What do you expect? The Lakers where the bandwagon team for the last decade so major sports sites will always be enamored with them.
Old 04-17-06, 11:31 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malice
I agree the Cavs are primed for a first round exit. In the west? Maybe Grizz, but who can really call the 4 vs 5 an upset really?
If Dallas loses in the first, no matter what their seed is, I'd consider it an upset...3rd best record in the NBA with a potential MVP.
Old 04-17-06, 11:35 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

It will be hard for LA to beat Phoenix 4 times, but not as impossible as some may think.

They don't have the advantage they would normally have with Stoudamire, so both teams are essentially playing small.

Odom has played well the past month or so - and with Kobe - anything is possible.

It wouldn't surprise me if they can push the Suns to 6 or 7. I don't see them winning, but they have a shot.
Old 04-17-06, 11:38 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff
If Dallas loses in the first, no matter what their seed is, I'd consider it an upset...3rd best record in the NBA with a potential MVP.
Good point. That could easily be the Spurs in that seed and that would be a huge upset!
Old 04-17-06, 11:41 AM
SR's Resident Laker Hater

Quote:
ESPN, namely, Mark Jackson, Scottie Pippen, and now Greg Anthony believe.......man crushes for Kobe
I've never understood man love
Old 04-17-06, 11:47 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Its what happenes when u don't get no woman love.

Yea! LoL!
$
Old 04-17-06, 11:47 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWest
I've never understood man love
That's ok JWest, I love you anyways
Old 04-17-06, 12:04 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Location: Bangalore - Silicon Valley East - Ex hyderabd, Cupertino/CA & Campinas Brazil, Houston and SanAntonio

He's crazy to waste our time...
Old 04-17-06, 12:16 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

No Kurt Thomas for the Suns, maybe no Chris Mihm for the Lakers. Neither has an inside presence.

Raja Bell will harass Kobe, he won't get 40+ like he has been. On the other side, the Suns will open it up and bomb away from 3-point land, and Marion will work the paint.

I don't see this going the Lakers' way, UNLESS:

(a) Phil Jackson gets a whole new defensive intensity and system instilled to cut off 3-point shots, like the Spurs did in the playoffs last year.

(b) The Lakers figure out how to share the ball on offense.

(c) Whoever the Lakers put on Marion (Odom) plays D and boxes out on him.

Are all these things going to happen? Not likely.
Old 04-17-06, 12:18 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Its not a lock they play each anyway right? I got a feeling we see the Lakers and not the Kings, if thats still possible.
Old 04-17-06, 12:29 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

And, just to close out the original post, well, geez, think about what ESPN does. They try to get viewers to watch, every day. There HAS to be some story of the day. They can't just tell the truth, which is, "We had a bunch of lame games today, where teams that have nothing to play for just treated this as a practice and rested all their key players who needed rest. These games have no meaning whatsoever. In fact, the Suns probably WANTED the Lakers to win, so that they'd get them in the first round for sure, rather than Sacramento, who would play them much tougher." That just wouldn't work. Even if the truth. So... let the hype machines start. You were watching, weren't you?

Quote:
Its not a lock they play each anyway right? I got a feeling we see the Lakers and not the Kings, if thats still possible.
The Kings are 1 game down on the Lakers, and play the Sonics on Tuesday. The Lakers play the Hornets on Wednesday. The Kings own the tiebreak.

So... if the Kings beat the Sonics on Tuesday, the Lakers must beat the Hornets on Wednesday to stay at #7. Otherwise, they'll slip to #8 and have to face the Spurs (most likely) or possibly Dallas, rather than the Suns at #2.

As the sports cliche goes... the Lakers control their own destiny. And, they'd MUCH rather go through the #2 and #3 seeds (Suns and Nuggets) than the #1 and #4 seeds (Spurs and Mavs). and, they are only playing the Hornets, and they are at home.

So my guess is it'll be the Lakers at #7 and the Kings at #8.
Old 04-17-06, 01:09 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Lakers are the greatest team in NBA history and possibly sports history. They are also a big market team so it is really no huge shocker. You think ESPN giving them love is bad now, wait till the Lakers land KG this summer. I keep telling people KG is going to the Lakers because...

1.) They can offer some good players like Odom/Kwame/Bynum

2.)It is the team that meets all of KG's requirements: A superstar teamate who will take the big shots in the 4th and KG can serve a much more comfortable role as a 2nd option, and they are a team that is 1 player or so away from being right back as serious contenders. Dont expect the Bulls,Knicks,Pacers,Mavs,Nets etc to have any luck meeting those requirements because they wont have any superstar to go along with KG after they deal for him.

3.)Tradition and big market city. To play on a traditional team in a huge city/market with the previous points all fall into place.

All in all KG will demand and moan to the wolves FO to get him to LA and they will eventually give in to those demands.
Old 04-17-06, 01:14 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Did you just put Kwame in the "good player" to offer category? Minnie had their lottery pick redux already, remember the Candyman? Lakers have crap to offer. Unless its Kobe Minnie would be STUPID to trade.
Old 04-17-06, 01:20 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Did you just put Kwame in the "good player" to offer category? Minnie had their lottery pick redux already, remember the Candyman? Lakers have crap to offer. Unless its Kobe Minnie would be STUPID to trade.
Odom is crap?? Bynum is going to be a damn good ball player considering he is ONLY 18! Kwame has been improving and his short term contract serves as some value for Minny in the long run. If KG goes anywhere but the Lakers he will have scrubs around him (Solid role players at best) and will waste the rest of his career away. Bynum will be what can make this deal swing IMO because of his youth (and Minny is in rebuilding/youth mode). KG will not have an allstar by his side anymore. It has to be a legit superstar sidekick and that will be Kobe.
Old 04-17-06, 01:22 PM
SpursReport Rookie

if KG does make it to LALand they'll just start a new feud like Kobe and Shaq did. I put them both into the BIG Ego category and when they both want the ball and they don't get it they will be unhappy and start bashing each other. Actually i could see it being a much worse between KG and Kobe than it was with Kobe and Shaq.
Old 04-17-06, 01:22 PM
Delusional Manu Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunkinDan89

Mark Jackson said their vulnerable in the post and thats where the Lakers could hurt them....

How?

The Lakers don't have any good post players either, their a perimeter oriented team as well.

And no, Kwame Brown's "breakout with the team" is so overhyped, the dude still sucks so bad, Caron Butler is doing awesome in Washington thanks to the Lakers who traded him for that piece of trash.

Both of these teams are perimeter oriented the huge difference is that Phoenix is a better fast break team. Phoenix will run on any miss and alot of makes as well. I don't think Kobe can score enough to beat Phoenix.

"He said, 'Go for every pump fake,' " Hibbert said.
Old 04-17-06, 01:26 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Location: The capital of Texas...that's right...Sunset Valley

I still think the Suns will win the series, but it's not completely out of the realm of possibility of the Lakers pulling off the upset. The Suns have stumbled since the whole Amare debacle, and a team that doesn't play defense will surely not stop Kobe. If Kobe gets any kind of help from his scrubs, the Suns could be in trouble.

"Married men live longer. Yes. And an indoor cat also lives longer. It's a furball with a broken spirit, that can only look out on a world it can never enjoy. But it does technically live longer." - Bill Maher
Old 04-17-06, 01:34 PM
SpursReport Rookie

KG's contract is up right? So if anyone is talking a trade swap it'll only be if KG agrees to a sign and trade, he could feasibly just sign else where without the trade hassle. I know other teams can't offer him quite as much but you never know whats gonna happen til it happens.
Old 04-17-06, 01:34 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy17
Odom is crap?? Bynum is going to be a damn good ball player considering he is ONLY 18! Kwame has been improving and his short term contract serves as some value for Minny in the long run. If KG goes anywhere but the Lakers he will have scrubs around him (Solid role players at best) and will waste the rest of his career away. Bynum will be what can make this deal swing IMO because of his youth (and Minny is in rebuilding/youth mode). KG will not have an allstar by his side anymore. It has to be a legit superstar sidekick and that will be Kobe.
You see your banking on Kobe approving of KG coming over in a trade. Lets be honest, most players would bend over backwards to have a player of KG's caliber. Kobe isnt that player though. It would be a different story if KG was in the twilight of his career looking for a ring(Malone, Payton, to a lesser extent Finley?), but KG is still trying to prove he's the greatest PF of all time. Now he has to pass to a dude who puts up 25-30 shots a game on average?

I dont see how those ego's fit even in a city the size of LA. Kobe of 5 years ago might have been able to do it, but not the Kobe we see today. Not going to happen. Next.
Old 04-17-06, 01:46 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
You see your banking on Kobe approving of KG coming over in a trade. Lets be honest, most players would bend over backwards to have a player of KG's caliber. Kobe isnt that player though. It would be a different story if KG was in the twilight of his career looking for a ring(Malone, Payton, to a lesser extent Finley?), but KG is still trying to prove he's the greatest PF of all time. Now he has to pass to a dude who puts up 25-30 shots a game on average?

I dont see how those ego's fit even in a city the size of LA. Kobe of 5 years ago might have been able to do it, but not the Kobe we see today. Not going to happen. Next.
I think KG is done trying to prove that and now realizes he cant lead a team. He knows his role is better for a 2nd option and Kobe takes so much pressure off of him and vice-versa. We will see this summer what happens.
Old 04-17-06, 01:47 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
I think KG is done trying to prove that and now realizes he cant lead a team. He knows his role is better for a 2nd option and Kobe takes so much pressure off of him and vice-versa. We will see this summer what happens.
Your right we will see. I'll be the first to say you were right if it happens.
Old 04-17-06, 02:01 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
1.) They can offer some good players like Odom/Kwame/Bynum.

that insulting

as for mark jackson, listening to him drool over the lakers and kobe last night was unbearable. what a joke. the lakers are NOT beating the suns unless steve nash can't play. they will broom the lakers post haste

slapping a yellow "support our troops" sticker on the back of your gas guzzling SUV in the middle of a war for oil makes you an a-holes

cooking is not a chore, cooking is an obsession.
Old 04-17-06, 02:07 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKo
KG's contract is up right? So if anyone is talking a trade swap it'll only be if KG agrees to a sign and trade, he could feasibly just sign else where without the trade hassle. I know other teams can't offer him quite as much but you never know whats gonna happen til it happens.
According to http://www.nationwide.net/~patricia/contracts, Garnett is signed until 2009.

According to http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12254344/, he has an option in 2008.

Looks like he has to play in Minny for the next 2 years at least, unless Minny trades him.

There is no sign-and-trade option.
Old 04-17-06, 02:19 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

KG is not going to LA...that would be a Laker fans pipe dream. They couldnt offer Minny anything worth doing that deal outside Kobe himself
Old 04-17-06, 02:28 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I think Phoenix should win, but its not going to be as easy as everyone thinks. The lakers obviously don't have the personnel the suns have bit either way, Kobe is going to be a beast in the playoffs.
Old 04-17-06, 03:40 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

That series is over in 5 games if the Suns don't let one slip away.
Old 04-17-06, 04:57 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKo
Garnett is under contract in Minnesota for at least the next 3 years.

He may get traded this summer, but a good,strong guess is: it will not be to the Lakers.
Old 04-17-06, 05:12 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunkinDan89

How?

Over the past 13 games, Kwame Brown = 13 PPG, 9.2 RPG, 1.7 APG, .62 BPG in 34.8 MPG . I would call that 'trash' even though I really dislike the .62 BPG and wish it would be ATLEAST 1.0.

I'd MUCH rather have that at the 5 position then have Caron's 17.3 PPG, 6.10 RPG, 2.5 APG, in 35 MPG at the 3 position, where we already have Lamar Odom, and I was a huge Caron fan.

"Love me, Feed me, Never leave me" --The one and only Garfield
Old 04-17-06, 05:24 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglakerfan
Over the past 13 games, Kwame Brown = 13 PPG, 9.2 RPG, 1.7 APG, .62 BPG in 34.8 MPG . I would call that 'trash' even though I really dislike the .62 BPG and wish it would be ATLEAST 1.0.

I'd MUCH rather have that at the 5 position then have Caron's 17.3 PPG, 6.10 RPG, 2.5 APG, in 35 MPG at the 3 position, where we already have Lamar Odom, and I was a huge Caron fan.
Oooo 13 games! Thats a break out season all right! Get back to me when the dude can put together a COMPLETE SEASON. I recall Smush putting up great numbers to start the season, nearly 20 points a game. Boy did he come back to earth.

Perspective maybe? What you got from Kwame this year is about all you can expect the rest of his career. His "postion D" which Laker fans love to rave about is about the same we get from Rasho. His help D is probably the worst on the team(which is saying alot) and good luck getting the dude to get out on a shooter on a screen and roll. Overall he has the basketball IQ of JV basketball team.

Expect up and down numbers, maybe a single break out year where he averages 10 and 10. Thats it. Good luck.

Last edited by Malice; 04-17-06 at 05:28 PM.
Old 04-17-06, 05:36 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Oooo 13 games! Thats a break out season all right! Get back to me when the dude can put together a COMPLETE SEASON. I recall Smush putting up great numbers to start the season, nearly 20 points a game. Boy did he come back to earth.

Perspective maybe? What you got from Kwame this year is about all you can expect the rest of his career. His "postion D" which Laker fans love to rave about is about the same we get from Rasho. His help D is probably the worst on the team(which is saying alot) and good luck getting the dude to get out on a shooter on a screen and roll. Overall he has the basketball IQ of JV basketball team.

Expect up and down numbers, maybe a single break out year where he averages 10 and 10. Thats it. Good luck.
Where in this thread was a 'break out season' ever mentioned? It's been his play AFTER HE WAS PUT AT THE CENTER POSITION that's been great. Phil was playing him at the power forward position, but center is his natural position.

Yes his help D is bad, and I'll gladly take 10 and 10 from the center position as long as he keeps playing D and learns how to block some shots.

And about Smush, he's come down to earth because he's never had to play these many games, at so many minutes. I expected him to get 10-15 back up minutes, but hes started all 81 games (and of course is expected to start in the 82nd) and has been playing 34 minutes a game. He's much like a rookie who is still getting used to playing a lot of games, and a lot of minutes.

Old 04-17-06, 05:39 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB
Garnett is under contract in Minnesota for at least the next 3 years.

He may get traded this summer, but a good,strong guess is: it will not be to the Lakers.
I'm thinking Orlando. Minnesota would want Darko and a draft pick in exchange.
KG will be surrounded by talent, one being Dwight Howard.

SILVER & BLACK...WE GOT IT LIKE THAT!
Old 04-17-06, 05:41 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Oooo 13 games! Thats a break out season all right! Get back to me when the dude can put together a COMPLETE SEASON.
To be fair, any kind of production at all from Kwame Brown is considered a break out.

"We would have two less championships here if it wasn't for Manu Ginobili," Popovich said. "In my book, Manu Ginobili is the stud of the world."
Old 04-17-06, 05:41 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglakerfan
Where in this thread was a 'break out season' ever mentioned? It's been his play AFTER HE WAS PUT AT THE CENTER POSITION that's been great. Phil was playing him at the power forward position, but center is his natural position.

Yes his help D is bad, and I'll gladly take 10 and 10 from the center position as long as he keeps playing D and learns how to block some shots.

And about Smush, he's come down to earth because he's never had to play these many games, at so many minutes. I expected him to get 10-15 back up minutes, but hes started all 81 games (and of course is expected to start in the 82nd) and has been playing 34 minutes a game. He's much like a rookie who is still getting used to playing a lot of games, and a lot of minutes.
Yeah my bad, it must have been the dude who quoted you that mentioned break out season. But, lets be honest, its not the first time you've head that mentioned among Laker fans?
Old 04-17-06, 05:48 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Yeah my bad, it must have been the dude who quoted you that mentioned break out season. But, lets be honest, its not the first time you've head that mentioned among Laker fans?
Most laker fans hate the players when we lose and love the players when we win, but I think Kwame's been playing great, in the last couple of games. Kobe's scoring his heart out as usual but Kwame and Odom's play is turning the points into W's. If either one decides to dissapear again, Lakers will go back to the horrible team they were mid season.

Old 04-17-06, 06:56 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
but KG is still trying to prove he's the greatest PF of all time. Now he has to pass to a dude who puts up 25-30 shots a game on average?
Best PF ever? KG is about 3 rings short of a tie right now. That's definitely his focus.

Mike Wilks, we barely knew ye.
Old 04-17-06, 10:46 PM
SpursReport Rookie

sure anything is possable ........ But The Suns haven't lost to the Lakers in TWO years untill last night, and this one WITHOUT STEVE NASH OR RAJA BELL.

sure LA could win a game with Nash and Bell in the series, same as sac could get one from SA. But neither is getting best out of seven.
Old 04-17-06, 10:57 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Kobe will pull one game out singlehandedly, but the Lakers are going to get slaughtered. They absolutely cannot play with Phoenix. I've seen all three games between them before the last one, and they have no shot whatsoever. Their defense is crap and they cannot stop Phoenix from running all over them.
Old 04-18-06, 02:22 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseline bum
Kobe will pull one game out singlehandedly, but the Lakers are going to get slaughtered. They absolutely cannot play with Phoenix. I've seen all three games between them before the last one, and they have no shot whatsoever. Their defense is crap and they cannot stop Phoenix from running all over them.
I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that the first three Lakers vs Suns games this year were on a back to back for the Lakers. If that's not bad enough all of them came against playoffs teams. We played Denver (once on the road)twice before the night before we played the Suns, and the Kings once(on the road). AND all three games were overtime games. Since there are no back to backs in the playoffs (hopefully) then I'd like to see what the Lakers can do.

Old 04-18-06, 02:39 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Shouldn't this conversation be happening in phxsuns.net ??

Phil will craft a defensive scheme and the guys will stick to it well for one game. Then Kobe pulls off another game. That means the Suns win in 6.
Old 04-18-06, 02:40 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Something to keep in mind when looking at this matchup. The Lakers are playing much better basketball vs earlier in the season. The last game they lost in Phoenix was a road back to back after playing an OT game in Denver the night before. They are 10-3 in their last 13 games and will probably win their last game to make it 11-3. The Suns have been a sub .500 team at 6-7 in their past 13 games and have been giving up close to 110 points per game over that stretch. The Lakers, not the Suns have the momentum going into this series. Add Phil Jackson and Kobe and this series is ripe for an upset.

Last edited by maldoror; 04-18-06 at 02:44 AM.
Old 04-19-06, 06:03 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Where is KG going to go if it isnt to the Lakers? NO ONE outside of them has that superstar/1st option and KG will not accept any of those offers. He wants to go to a team with an established SUPERSTAR and can be an instant title contender. No other team is in that situation then the Lakers. If KG does everything in his power to demand a trade to the Lakers, he will eventually get his way.