News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 04-14-06, 10:35 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Hat's off to Mike D'Antoni

Just had to praise Mike D'Antoni for trying to win the game last night. With nothing to gain for Phoenix and Nash and Marion already cooled down on the bench, he put both of them back in the game to insure a Phoenix win. What a class act. Nothing to gain for his team and risking possible injuries to cold players he still tried to win the game. Guy gets my vote for coach of the year!!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-14-06, 10:36 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

yea, the Suns brass thinks the same way so I cannot say I'm surprised.
Old 04-14-06, 10:54 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcone
yea, the Suns brass thinks the same way so I cannot say I'm surprised.
Great. That means the Spurs were actually trying to win during their recent 2-3 homestand. I was much happier when I thought the Spurs were just tanking games in order to give the Knicks a higher draft pick.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-14-06, 11:03 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotes_geek
Great. That means the Spurs were actually trying to win during their recent 2-3 homestand. I was much happier when I thought the Spurs were just tanking games in order to give the Knicks a higher draft pick.
I was talking about last year when Joe Johnson accused the Suns brass of rushing him back from injury too fast
Old 04-14-06, 11:16 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I don't know if I'd give him coach of the year just for trying to avoid an embarassing defeat. All he did was put Nash and Marion back in the game. But it was a good game. Glad to see Dallas get discouraged.
Old 04-14-06, 11:18 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jones
I don't know if I'd give him coach of the year just for trying to avoid an embarassing defeat. All he did was put Nash and Marion back in the game. But it was a good game. Glad to see Dallas get discouraged.
Check your sarcasm meter...
Old 04-14-06, 11:25 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNate

Old 04-14-06, 11:59 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:

So you're ready to give him coach of the year?
Old 04-14-06, 12:57 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Maybe the batteries are dead.
Old 04-14-06, 01:24 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
wow, maybe you need to check ebay.com for one of those sarcasm meters.
Old 04-14-06, 01:33 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Maybe the batteries are dead.
Old 04-14-06, 02:03 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

How can you give a guy props when he doesn't even really coach? He just tells Steve Nash to improvise. It's not like he is an incredible X's and O's coach.
Old 04-14-06, 02:12 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

d'antoni is a former spur player. karl, rivers, and aj. formerly porter, soon to be elie. am i missing somebody?

Dave McNulla
Spurs Fan

Tweet Me
Old 04-14-06, 02:51 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurssheriff
How can you give a guy props when he doesn't even really coach? He just tells Steve Nash to improvise. It's not like he is an incredible X's and O's coach.
Someone gave him props?
Old 04-14-06, 03:55 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Yes, I gave him props. What he did last night re-inserting Nash and Marion to try and win the game when the Mavs closed the gap was a class act. How many coaches do you know that would have inserted his starting players back into a meaningless game and risk injury? Especially since they had cooled down while sitting out most of the second half and that's when muscle injuries can occur. The man had nothing to gain but pride in winning a game. He didn't need to send a message to the Mavs as it's all different in the playoffs anyway. He could have said to hell with it and not risked injury to Nash or Marion. As for how he coaches, he gets the best out of what he has and that makes him a really good coach. He really only had two players left from last years team, Nash and Marion (can't count Amare), and he made all the new pieces fit and had another fine season. He knows his team's strengths and weaknesses and adapts to them. He knows his team is not a defensive team, and, doesn't try to make them one. They run, they score, they try and get you to play their game not yours. That's a sign of a good coach. Just remember, Pop is no offensive genuis, but he knows defense and that he has the team to play his system. Just like D'antoni knows his team and his system. Let's give credit where credit is due. Again, hat's off to D'antoni for not just mailing in last nights game as so many other coaches would have (see Phil Jackson). They played their asses off last night for pride and the fact that the game was still important to other teams. CLASSY ALL THE WAY.
Old 04-14-06, 04:44 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Just posing a question. What about Avery's coaching?

Dirk played 41 minutes in a game that was virtually over by half time.

Start of the 4th quarter score was 90-77 Suns. Dirk goes out at 10.40 score 92/77, Dirk comes back 8:16 score 95/84. Why did Avery not sit Dirk in the 4th, he was on a B2B. I guess he is just trying to accommodate Dirk who said he does not want his minutes cut heading into the playoffs.

Looking at the play by play, Dirk was actually subbed in after Armstrong got a flagrant and this was after a very chippy 3rd quarter. Did Avery not care about his MVP getting hurt in a game like that?

My guess, had Dirk stayed out, there would not have been a Nash sighting.
Old 04-14-06, 05:06 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

This is too funny - I and I'm sure a lot of others thought you were making a point via sarcasm, and actually it was a pretty good one.

Quote:
How many coaches do you know that would have inserted his starting players back into a meaningless game and risk injury? Especially since they had cooled down while sitting out most of the second half and that's when muscle injuries can occur. The man had nothing to gain but pride in winning a game. He didn't need to send a message to the Mavs as it's all different in the playoffs anyway.
You realize that you can use this exact same statement to show he's a terrible coach don't you? Especially considering all that has been said in regards to how he handled the Amare situation this year and Johnson last. Along with the rest of the Suns FO, the man is starting to develop a bad reputation about caring about winning more than his player's future and health, and you make a statement like that and mean it in a positive way? I didn't realize you were really serious until I got to the bottom of your second post and the Phil Jackson comment.

Either your sarcasm has subtler nuances than even my meter can pick up or your subconscious is making a better point than you think you are.

Your other points were good ones though.
Old 04-14-06, 05:25 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

TexasNate and xmiltsc,

Ebay doesn't have anymore of these meters you keep mentioning, can you you recommend a place to buy one? (sarcasm)

I hope to have more great moments where we agree but disagree simultaneously! (extreme sarcasm)

Seriously, I look forward to being lectured by you again!! (very extreme sarcasm)
Old 04-14-06, 05:34 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
You realize that you can use this exact same statement to show he's a terrible coach don't you? Especially considering all that has been said in regards to how he handled the Amare situation this year and Johnson last. Along with the rest of the Suns FO, the man is starting to develop a bad reputation about caring about winning more than his player's future and health, and you make a statement like that and mean it in a positive way? I didn't realize you were really serious until I got to the bottom of your second post and the Phil Jackson comment.
I was thinking that exact thing last night. We couldn't have picked a better coach to be a worse coach in that situation. D'Antoni is more of a checkers guy than a chess guy and that played into our hands last night...lol.
Old 04-14-06, 07:00 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I keep hearing Bill Walton's voice from last year's WCF saying that D'Antoni said to his team: "run faster, shoot more" when Phoenix was losing ground in one of their games against us. Now THAT, is great coaching.
Old 04-14-06, 07:05 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
I keep hearing Bill Walton's voice from last year's WCF saying "run faster, shoot more" when Phoenix was losing ground in one of their games against us. Now THAT, is great coaching.
ooo Bill Walton a coach. Heh. That would be cool. Maybe if they buy out Brown in NY they could hire him as coach there. As the class clown of the NBA, the Knicks would be the perfect fit. Just imagine Isiah Thomas signing Marbury and Francis and then Walton declaring them to be the "most dominant guard duo in NBA history." He would complete the picture over there nicely imo.
Old 04-15-06, 10:49 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
TexasNate and xmiltsc,

Ebay doesn't have anymore of these meters you keep mentioning, can you you recommend a place to buy one? (sarcasm)

I hope to have more great moments where we agree but disagree simultaneously! (extreme sarcasm)

Seriously, I look forward to being lectured by you again!! (very extreme sarcasm)
really?
Old 04-15-06, 11:39 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmiltsx
really?

Nah, just effin' with you, dude.
Old 04-15-06, 11:48 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Yeah, my sarcasm meter was giving a 3-bar blip when i read the original post also...If any sarcasm was not intended in the original post, then I wonder what would have been said had Nashie sprained his ankle or Matrix his knee during that meaningless "insurance" time?

He would be "Coach of the Year" alright - for Lakers fans...Sorry, I would be pissed as hell at Pop if he did that with Tim, Manu, or Tony. Actually when he left Tim in too long in the last Clippers game at LA, I was going to go down the bench and yell at him.
Old 04-15-06, 08:30 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Old 04-15-06, 08:53 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I'm keeping my had on.
Old 04-15-06, 10:29 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

"Winning is a habit; so is losing."

It's ALWAYS bad to lose a game. Props for sending Nash and Marion back in. That's respect for the game.
Old 04-16-06, 09:34 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:

I say forget about wasting your money on a sarcasm meter. Invest in a helmet... A REALLY good one.
Old 04-16-06, 03:23 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by highplainsspur
"Winning is a habit; so is losing."

It's ALWAYS bad to lose a game. Props for sending Nash and Marion back in. That's respect for the game.
If one admires D'Antoni for putting Nash and Marion back in to win the game, then do those same people think he's being disrespectful for holding Nash out of today's thrashing by the Lakers?
Old 04-16-06, 04:52 PM
MomBear

Hats off to Mike
Old 04-16-06, 06:19 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

WHOA.

This *wasn't* sarcasm?

Someone take the man's keyboard away, Please.
Old 04-16-06, 08:34 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinsatx
Yes, I gave him props. What he did last night re-inserting Nash and Marion to try and win the game when the Mavs closed the gap was a class act. How many coaches do you know that would have inserted his starting players back into a meaningless game and risk injury? Especially since they had cooled down while sitting out most of the second half and that's when muscle injuries can occur. The man had nothing to gain but pride in winning a game. He didn't need to send a message to the Mavs as it's all different in the playoffs anyway. He could have said to hell with it and not risked injury to Nash or Marion. As for how he coaches, he gets the best out of what he has and that makes him a really good coach. He really only had two players left from last years team, Nash and Marion (can't count Amare), and he made all the new pieces fit and had another fine season. He knows his team's strengths and weaknesses and adapts to them. He knows his team is not a defensive team, and, doesn't try to make them one. They run, they score, they try and get you to play their game not yours. That's a sign of a good coach. Just remember, Pop is no offensive genuis, but he knows defense and that he has the team to play his system. Just like D'antoni knows his team and his system. Let's give credit where credit is due. Again, hat's off to D'antoni for not just mailing in last nights game as so many other coaches would have (see Phil Jackson). They played their asses off last night for pride and the fact that the game was still important to other teams. CLASSY ALL THE WAY.
............................... ..............