News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 04-14-06, 01:48 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

The "OFFICIAL" SR NBA AWARDS

It’s time for the 1st Annual SR NBA Awards.

1. Who is this seasons MVP?
Why? (Optional)

2. Most IMPROVED Team?

3. Most DISAPOINTING Team (regardless of injury)?

4. DEFENSIVE Player of the YEAR?
Why? (Optional)

5. Most IMPROVED Player?

6. COACH of the Year?
Why? (Optional)

7. ROOKIE of the Year?

8. 6th Man of the Year?

Other Awards Not Mentioned: (create your own if any were missed)
---------
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-14-06, 01:54 AM
SpursReport Team Member

1. Steve Nash

Reason? Too many performances like tonight with amare out of the picture.

2. New Jersey

3. Cavs/ Heat

Although, with the personnel the heat have their fall was inevitable. Cavs have underachieived all season.

4. Ben Wallace......

psyche! BB.

5. Boris Diaw

6. Pop.

in spite of all the crap with injuries and inconsistancy this year from our two best players, pop has kept this team focused and they've acheived 60 wins and possibly #1 seed in the west with the sw division title.

7. Chris Paul

8. Michael Finley or Boris Diaw
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-14-06, 02:00 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Location: The capital of Texas...that's right...Sunset Valley

1. Who is this seasons MVP? Chauncey Billups.
Why? Stone cold clutch player. The spark of the offense and a solid defender on the best team in the league.

2. Most IMPROVED Team? Los Angeles Clippers

3. Most DISAPOINTING Team (regardless of injury)? Houston Rockets

4. DEFENSIVE Player of the YEAR? Bruce Bowen
Why? Definitely a homer factor, but it's high time a guy regarded across the league as a great defender got some hardware to back it up.

5. Most IMPROVED Player? Boris Diaw. The change to Phoenix from Atlanta gave Boris a chance to elevate his game.

6. COACH of the Year? Avery Johnson
Why? In his first full year, got a team to the 3rd best record in the league that many believed were going to fall off the map with the losses of Nash and Finley.

7. ROOKIE of the Year? Chris Paul. Is there even any other rookie in the running?

8. 6th Man of the Year? Mike Miller. The default choice. He gives the Grizzlies solid shooting night after night.

"Married men live longer. Yes. And an indoor cat also lives longer. It's a furball with a broken spirit, that can only look out on a world it can never enjoy. But it does technically live longer." - Bill Maher

Last edited by JoeSchmo; 04-14-06 at 02:05 AM.
Old 04-14-06, 02:05 AM
SpursReport Rookie

SPURS #1(MY FAVORITE PLAYER TIM DUNCAN THE BEST)

MVP: Steve Nash

(Tony Parker) is a nice mention for it also(MVP), I which he would get it, but I know
that he will not, but TP is playing great, tonite he was sick, that is understandable,
but he will bound back against Minnesota//

Most Improved TEAM: New Jersey Nets

Most Disappointing TEAM: Minnesota Timberwolves

Defensive Player of the YEAR: Bruce Bowen(NO DOUBT about it)
why because, every night he has to go up again: Kobe/Allen/McGrady etc!!!
and he does a very OUTSTANDING job on defense.

Most Improved Player: E. Brand

COACH of the YEAR: POP (and it is sad he does not get the credit he deserves)

Rookie of the YEAR: Chris Paul

6TH Man of the YEAR: J. Stackhouse

#1SPURSFAN21209//TIM DUNCAN THE BEST//MY FAVORITE PLAYER//
Old 04-14-06, 02:13 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA Spurs 2006

Why? (Optional)

2. Most IMPROVED Team?

Why? (Optional)

5. Most IMPROVED Player?

6. COACH of the Year?
Why? (Optional)

7. ROOKIE of the Year?

8. 6th Man of the Year?

---------
1. MVP - Steve Nash

-Nash is a great shooter, passer and leader. I can bring up alot of stats to back this up, but it'd be pointless, since we all already know that.

2. Most Improved Team

-Los Angeles Clippers

3. Most disappointing Team

-Seattle Supersonics

4. Defensive Player of the Year

-Bruce Bowen

5. Most Improved Player

-Elton Brand. Sure he was a 20-10 guy before, but Brand has not only assumed a leadership role on the team, but he has also increased his production while sharing the floor with more offensive weapons (Mobley and Cassel). He also worked very hard to mold his body and cut his flab in the offseason. While Diaw has made a better statistical improvement, Brand has improved his team and he does not have Steve Nash grabbing passes, Shawn Marion throwing down for assists, and Myriad of shooters to spread the floor.

6. Coach of the Year

-Avery Johnson

7. Rookie of the Year

-Chris Paul

8. Sixth Man of the Year

-Mike Miller
Old 04-14-06, 02:18 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

1. MVP - Nash
The Suns lost Amare, Joe Johnson and Quentin Richardson and replaced them with Raja Bell and two guys who had never averaged more than 5 points per game (Jones & Diaw) and they're still going to win in the mid-50s, plus Nash is putting up career highs in points, rebounds, FG%, 3pt% and FT% and leading the league in assists.

2. Most improved team - Hornets. 20+ wins more than last year. From 18-64 to in the playoff hunt.

3. Most disappointing - Rockets

4. DPOY - Bruce. He's due.

5. Most Improved Player - Diaw.

6. COY - Avery.

7. ROY - Paul. No brainer.

8. 6th Man - Miller.

Exec of the year - Isiah Thomas. In one season alone he's given the Bulls what should be two top 5 draft picks plus cap space this offseason, he gave the Raptors capspace this offseason and he turned a 19-33 Orlando Magic team into a 16-11 team that's going into the last week of the season still mathmatically alive in the playoff race. That's THREE teams in one season he's improved. Name me another GM that can make that claim.
Old 04-14-06, 02:20 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

MVP: Dirk Nowitzki
Defensive Player of the Year: Bruce Bowen
Rookie of the Year: Chris Paul
Most Improved Player: David West
Coach of the Year: Avery Johnson
Sixth Man of the Year: Alonzo Mourning
Executive of the Year: RC Buford
Most Improved Team: LA Clippers
Most Dissapointing Team: Phildelphia 76ers

All-NBA First Team
G Steve Nash
G Kobe Bryant
F LeBron James
F Dirk Nowitzki
C Yao Ming

Second Team
G Dwyane Wade
G Allen Iverson
F Paul Pierce
F Elton Brand
C Shaquille O'Neal

Third Team
G Jason Kidd
G Chauncey Billups
F Tim Duncan
F Shawn Marion
C Ben Wallace

All-NBA Defense First Team
G Jason Kidd
G Chauncey Billups
F Bruce Bowen
F Tim Duncan
C Alonzo Mourning

Defensive Second
G Dwyane Wade
G Shane Battier
F Andrei Kirlenko
F Ben Wallace
C Marcus Camby

Last edited by Dark Deity; 04-16-06 at 02:16 AM.
Old 04-14-06, 03:44 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

1. MVP: Kobe Bryant. Yes, he's on a team that stumbled to a playoff spot. Yes, they aren't going to win an NBA Title. But for me, the historic season he's had this year is just impossible to ignore. I typically feel this award should go to the best player on a top NBA Title contender - but not this year. Historically, that has usually been the MO of this award with some abberations. Jordan was the last major abberation when he won this award in 1988. I think this is one of those years.

The only two teams that can realistically win a championship don't completely revolve around one guy. Yes, Billups has been great - but he's just one peice of that puzzle. Yes, Duncan has struggled this season - but he's had another All Star guard help carry the load for him and Ginobili. In LA - Kobe is it. Without Bryant, I don't see how these Lakers win 25 games. He's absolutely invaluable to them. He's the whole F'in show.

Call him whatever you want. I've called him worse. I've never been a Kobe fan at all, but this season - he has been mesmerizing. He's my pick for MVP. It may not be popular - but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

2. Most Improved Team: Memphis. I realize the Clippers are back in the playoffs and the Cavs finally made it in - but I actually think a team that has never won a playoff game in their last two seasons have actually imroved the most. Memphis has made a step that cannot be measured in just their wins and losses. Now removed from the headaches of Williams and Bonzi and the questions about Hubie, the Grizz moved forward this year and established their own identity. To be specific, this is Pau Gasol's team. Gasol had a terrific season and together with solid vets like Jackson, Jones and Battier - have set a tone for themselves. They will keep themselves in tight games with defense and then milk their prized 7 footer. Sounds like a winning formula huh? It could win a few playoff games for Memphis. They may not win the series, but they will give Dallas fits if they play in the first round.

3. Most Disapointing: New York. Other teams struggled with age, chemistry or injury, the Knicks struggled with mediocrity. I realize they have a mix mash of talent there and not much wiggle room, but this team that actually sucked in the first half of the season actually got worse after acquiring Steve Francis. I felt Larry Brown could come in a make this team respectable. Possibly improve to about 38-42 wins and sneak into the playoffs. But early on in the season, I think many of these players quit. Somewhere along the line, Brown may have quit as well. The situation with Marbury polarized the team and broke their backs. What should have been a Knicks season of hope, turned into the season from hell.

4. Def Player of the Year: There really is no one else. Bruce Bowen. This should be his year. Although I just watched the TNT crew almost unanimously give this to Ben Wallace - this is actually the season in which Big Ben has done the least in Detroit. Bowen accepts the challenge of matching up with some of the most difficult players to guard in the NBA. Kobe. LeBron. T-Mac. Vince. Wade. Rip. Chauncey. Carmelo. Allen. Dirk. He even resorted to guarding power forwards this year! When the best one on one player in the NBA (Bryant) calls Bowen the best defender - that's saying something. This is the year he gets his due.

5. Most Improved: Jameer Nelson. He's fresh in my mind right now and I've actually kept an eye on him this year. He didn't change teams or position like Boris Diaw did. Nelson got the starting job, more minutes and the trust of his coach and really showed his stuff this year. I considered him perhaps too short for this position - but he's shown he can play big. His stats don't jump out at you - but Nelson is on his way. With a potential All Star frontcourt to feed the ball to and get open shots from, Nelson will turn heads for years to come.

6. Coach of the Year: Lawerence Frank. After almost a complete dismantle of the NBA Finals teams - Frank has the Nets playing possibly even better right now. He's moved Jason Kidd to a supporting role, and brought out a comfort level in Vince Carter that we haven't seen in 5 years. He's got them playing hard defense and smart basketball. Nenad Kristic has developed into a good young center and Franks has molded the Nets into an Eastern Conference darkhorse. Can they win it all? Probably not - but the Nets have rebuilt on the fly and looked poised to take a big step next year. Franks is a large reason why.

7. Rookie of the Year: Chris Paul. I guess. I haven't seen him much this year, so I'm not as enamoured of him as others. I'm just going by the team record and his numbers. They don't jump out at me and say "Hands down ROY" - but he's been the catalyst for a Hornets team that handled a difficult season, in the aftermath of Katrina, extremely well. They are as competative as they've been since moving from Charlotte.They could have been a playoff team but stumbled late in the season. Chris Paul is the man for the Hornets and likely will be the foundation of a very good team.

8. Sixth Man of the Year: Alonzo Mourning. It's hard to imagine this perrenial All Star as a sixth man, but Mourning fit into the Bill Walton role that the big readhead played for the Celtics in the mid-80's. Mourning brought his hustle, intensity and experience to a questionable second unit and soon became the pulse of the team - if not it's heart. No one on the Heat is as intense as Mourning and I doubt anyone craves a championship ring more than him. He's put his past differences with Shaq aside and has helped him create a fearsome tandem in Miami. He still scores, still grabs the tough rebound and leads the team in blocks in limited minutes. Playing on borrowed time - Mourning is leaving it all on the floor.

All NBA First Team

F - LeBron James
F - Dirk Nowitski
C - Yao Ming
G - Kobe Bryant
G - Steve Nash

All NBA Second Team

F - Tim Duncan
F - Vince Carter
C - Shaquille O'Neal
G - Dwayne Wade
G - Chauncey Billups

All NBA Third Team

F - Pau Gasol
F - Carmelo Anthony
C - Ben Wallace
G - Sam Cassell
G - Tony Parker

All Defensive First Team

F - Tim Duncan
F - Bruce Bowen
C - Ben Wallace
G - Chauncey Billups
G - Jason Kidd

Last edited by RichB; 04-14-06 at 03:28 AM.
Old 04-14-06, 03:52 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Why doesn't Elton Brand make the list for All NBA team 1,2 or 3?
Old 04-14-06, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousspirit
Why doesn't Elton Brand make the list for All NBA team 1,2 or 3?
Because I think the other six forwards I chose were better.

Brand has been in LA for 5 seasons. This is his first time in the playoffs.

Sam Cassell has been the biggest reason for their resurgence. Brand has had a great year, but all six of my choices have led their teams to the playoffs as the "main guy" - Brand never did. I just don't consider him the franchise player the other six are.

Great season, but someone had to miss the cut.

I just couldn't place him above my other six.
Old 04-14-06, 04:51 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Kobe Bryant for taking a junior varsity team to the playoffs, would be a 5th seed if they played in the East.

2. Most IMPROVED Team?

New Orleans Hornets considering they were one of the worst teams last year, and were close to the playoffs this year, even with having to play in different cities as their home court.

Houston, I thought they would be a top 3 team in the West or Timberwolves.

Bruce Bowen (since this is a Spurs' board I don't think I'll have to give a reason LOL)

5. Most IMPROVED Player?

Jameer Nelson or Smush Parker, even thought both players have been playing good because of more playing time.

6. COACH of the Year?

Rick Carlise, everyone thought Larry Brown made the Pistons who they are and without him they wouldn't win, but they're looking pretty nice right now.

7. ROOKIE of the Year?

CP3

8. 6th Man of the Year?

Mike Miller.

"Love me, Feed me, Never leave me" --The one and only Garfield
Old 04-14-06, 05:18 AM
SpursReport Team Member

[quote=SA Spurs 2006]It’s time for the 1st Annual SR NBA Awards.

Why? (Optional)

Dirk Nowitzki

2. Most IMPROVED Team?

Clippers

Rockets

Why? (Optional)

Bruce Bowen

5. Most IMPROVED Player?

Elton Brand

6. COACH of the Year?
Why? (Optional)

Avery

7. ROOKIE of the Year?

Chris Paul

"If he dies, he dies." - Ivan Drago
Old 04-14-06, 11:01 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Lebron James. He edges out Nash IMO.

He leads and everyone else follows, even guys who've played many seasons more than him.

He does everything for the team except being the defensive stopper - scores, runs the offense, rebounds, steals, go-to guy. He's leading the team in points, assists, steals, defensive rebounds, and is second in blocks. 31.7-7.1-6.6 is just plain ridiculous.

Over the course of the season, his own clutch shooting has grown by leaps and bounds. And yet he can still trust his teammates in crunchtime to take the game-deciding open shot that he creates for them.

The Cavs are doing great, and look like they will finish with the 3rd best record in the East. You can even argue that they might be a tad better over the 82-game season than Miami, because Miami plays in that crap Southeast division while Cleveland plays in the tougher Central division.

Plus Lebron is doing all that while having a rookie coach.

2. Most IMPROVED Team?
Clippers. No doubt. Elton Brand lost weight, gained some post moves, and is now a 25-10-2.5 player, the only one in the league. Kaman is giving them a near double double, and has had a couple of 20-20 games already. Mobley and Cassell have revitalized the spirit of the team. Cassell is capable of making shots and doing the monkey dance during crunchtime.

As an aside, this is now not only a playoff team, but a possible Conference Finals team. They are seeded 6th but have home court against Denver. If they pass the Nuggets, they get to play the Suns where they trade off speed with complete domination inside the paint.

3. Most DISAPPOINTING Team (regardless of injury)?
Regardless of injury? Rockets. None of their free agent acquisitions have panned out according to plan. Some of their vets have slipped - Sura can't play, Barry retired, Wesley sucks. Their newer guys never really realized any kind of potential - Alston, Swift. Heck, they even signed DA, then traded him.

Bruce Bowen. Camby is better but has played too few games. Ben has slipped. Bruce has a tougher job nowadays because Tim and Manu have slipped as well.

Indeed, the Spurs now use him as a defensive crutch, too much to my liking. "Go shut player X down" is Pop's mission for him, and the target even changes as the game goes, depending on who's hot on the opposing team. That is such a luxury to have, and makes Bruce an INDISPENSABLE component to this championship team.

5. Most IMPROVED Player?
I'll go with Gerald Wallace. Same team, about the same minutes, vastly improved production. Totally absolutely unambiguous. He's going to finish the season as the 3rd guy ever to have 2+ steals and 2+ blocks. The other two were Hakeem Olajuwon and David Robinson!

6. COACH of the Year?
Scott Skiles. Last year I went with Rick Carlisle for maximizing his team. This year I'll go with Skiles for the same reason. He's had a bunch of NBDL call-ups playing major minutes. With that ragtag perenially injured team, he's actually gonna make the playoffs! Why? Because those guys max out effortwise every single game. Nobody plays harder than Chicago, period.

7. ROOKIE of the Year?
Chris Paul. Fuggetaboutit.

8. 6th Man of the Year?
I thought RichC's nomination of Mourning was great. Only problem is that he comes off the bench for only 45 games, just not enough IMO.

Give it to the other standout 6th man, Mike Miller. He's Memphis' second leading scorer and rebounder behind Gasol (though admittedly they are very balanced in those two categories), and he's played 63 games off the bench.

Last edited by bnwhuxley; 04-14-06 at 07:42 PM. Reason: replace "league" with "East"
Old 04-14-06, 11:57 AM

RichC?
Old 04-14-06, 12:15 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA Spurs 2006

Why? (Optional)

2. Most IMPROVED Team?

Why? (Optional)

5. Most IMPROVED Player?

6. COACH of the Year?
Why? (Optional)

7. ROOKIE of the Year?

8. 6th Man of the Year?

---------
MVP- Nash, Yeah I know he doesn't play D, but 50+ wins with Diaw as starting center and bell as sG.

MOST IMPROVED TEAM
Nets, followed by the Magic 2nd half of season.

MOST DISAPPOINTING
hmm,
Pacers, I was underwhelmed by Houstons moves and didn't think much of the twolves roster.

DOPY
Bowen

MOST IMPROVED PLAYER
Tony
increased scoring average by 3 pts and shooting percentagefrom 48 to 54%
has forced defenses to shift
I feel less certain about this one- BRand, Wallace Diaw all deserve in one way or another

COY-
Frank, he has done a fine job in NJ.

ROY
Paul- easiest

6th man
Miller
Old 04-14-06, 12:20 PM
SpursReport Team Member

1. Who is this seasons MVP? Steve Nash
He is most important to the success of his team. Take any other candidate off of their team, and they don't free fall as much as Phoenix would without Nash.

2. Most IMPROVED Team? LA Clippers

A lot of teams improve from missing the playoffs, to become 7 or 8 seed non-factors. The Clips have had a torturous history, and will (IMO) be a huge factor in the playoffs this year. They will be a difficult matchup for any team they face, and may actually win a series.

3. Most DISAPOINTING Team? Houston Rockets

That McGrady/Yao combo should have that team in contention every year, and they never are.

4. DEFENSIVE Player of the YEAR? Bruce Bowen
Night in and night out he faces the most difficult matchups in the NBA, and more often than not causes huge problems for the guy he's guarding. He never takes night's off, and will guard Jon Berry with as much energy and tenacity as he does Ray Allen, Kobe Bryant, and Carmelo Anthony.

5. Most IMPROVED Player? Tony Parker

He, individually, has improved more than any other player in the league. He's not benefitting from increase minutes, a new system, a new position, or new (significant) teammates. His game is better because he worked hard to improve it. Not because all of a sudden he's playing next to Steve Nash.

6. COACH of the Year? Avery Johnson
He has completely changed the mindset and image of that team, and that franchise. As Spurs fans we like to brag about our rings and their lack of rings, but AJs influence on that team will make them realize that WCFs and awesome regular seasons aren't good enough anymore.

7. ROOKIE of the Year? Chris Paul

Is there another rookie?

8. 6th Man of the Year? Leahndro Barbosa

This guy comes in, spells the MVP for a few minutes, and PHX rarely misses a beat. Would be a starter on probably 20 other teams in the league.
Old 04-14-06, 12:39 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Why? (Optional)

2. Most IMPROVED Team?

Why? (Optional)

5. Most IMPROVED Player?

6. COACH of the Year?
Why? (Optional)

7. ROOKIE of the Year?

8. 6th Man of the Year?
1 - Dirk
2 - LAC
3 - Rockets
4 - Bruce
5 - TP
6 - AJ
7- C.Paul
8 - M.Miller
Old 04-14-06, 01:31 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

For me this was a very close decision between Lebron James and Kobe Bryant, but Kobe is my pick because I rank the Lakers and Cleveland as about equal in their chances of actually accomplishing much in the post-season and Lebron has a better supporting cast. Originally I was going with Steve Nash, but then I got to thinking about a couple of things.

One is that even with the better record, I don't see the Suns as having a better chance of accomplishing much in the playoffs than the Lakers. If Phoenix was playing the Spurs in round one it would just as surely be a first round exit, and even with their current high seeding I see them as one of the biggest possibilities involving a major first-round upset in the league.

Also, while Kobe is bringing a truly scrub team into the playoffs, a lot of people tend to forget about Shawn Marion for some reason. Why, I don't know - this guy has better numbers than Tim Duncan this season. Is this just because Nash makes him a better player? Well consider the fact that the year before Nash joined the team he was putting up very close to the same numbers he is now. There is no question that Steve Nash makes people around him better for the most part, but why is Marion putting up basically the same numbers with or without him?

Meanwhile, Kobe's main man is a joke - Lamar Odom has numbers that are barely better than Raja Bell.

A lot of people think that giving an MVP award to a 7th or 8th seed is unwarranted, but consider the fact that without Bryant this team is right down there with the Knicks. Kobe has taken one of the worst teams in the NBA (aside from himself) and put them in the playoffs in the strongly competitive Western Conference. I don't know if any other player in the NBA could have done that.

The other guy I was considering, Dirk Nowitski, actually has some deceptively good talent around him and just can't seem to come through with that winning leadership to get the Mavs over that hump to the next level.

2. Most IMPROVED Team?
The Clippers. I don't even see the need to elaborate.

3. Most DISAPPOINTING Team (regardless of injury)?
The Rockets. They were touted as the second strongest team in the West and the biggest threat to the Spurs before the season started. I considered the Knicks but going from being a bad team to a terrible one just doesn't constitute that big of a disappointment in my book, even with the Larry Brown coaching change. (Although he would definitely be my pick for a most disappointing coach award.)

The same guy who got second last year and should have gotten first - Bruce Bowen. He has the whole league stirred up - and if you think it is really because of dirty play that just means you don't watch him play regularly. The public statements players make about him just shows how desperate they are to try to get any edge over him they can. With Tim Duncan struggling a bit this season due to injuries, Bowen is clearly the best one-on-one defender on the best defensive team in the NBA, and he holds a starting spot on the championship team, primarily for one reason - his defense. He is also able to effectively guard players that are bigger, stronger, and faster than himself better than anyone else in the league.

5. Most IMPROVED Player?
I'm going to give this to Parker. He has gone from one year in being a point guard that could 'get the job done' for the Spurs to being an Allstar and the leading offensive threat for the champs. A lot of players come in and make significant strides in their first few years; this is to be expected. But 5th year player Tony Parker has done something more difficult, and more important, than most, because it involves an elusive quality that is hard to improve on - the player's mental aspect of the game. He has made a huge step towards possibly becoming one of the best players in the league and has been mentioned by analysts as getting some MVP votes this year and possibly being a multiple MVP winner in the future - something I would never have considered for him a year ago.

6. COACH of the Year?
Scott Skiles. The fact that Chicago looks to be in the playoffs absolutely boggles my mind. This should have been the one team in the NBA that the Knicks could have made their whipping boy.

7. ROOKIE of the Year?
Chris Paul. This one shouldn't even have a question mark at the end of it.

8. 6th Man of the Year?
Alonzo Mourning. He plays better defense than Shaq does. The loss of him to injury sent a surging Miami team into a tailspin. He's good enough to make you wonder whether the Heat might not be better off starting him over 'the most dominant player in the league.'
Old 04-14-06, 01:40 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

1. Who is this seasons MVP? Dirk. Dominant player on a dominant team. The Pistons don't have one dominant player. Billups is nice, but he's not a guy you would build a team around.

2. Most IMPROVED Team? Suns. Relatively speaking, of course. Losing Amare was supposed to wreck their season. Here they are at No. 2.

3. Most DISAPOINTING Team (regardless of injury)? Rockets. Can't they find five guys from the YMCA to fill in around Yao and TMac that are better than the bunch of scrubs they have now?

4. DEFENSIVE Player of the YEAR? Bruce Bowen. Routinely locks down everyone. From point guards to power forwards.

5. Most IMPROVED Player? Boris Diaw. Tony Parker had a great season, but he was already pretty good. Diaw came out of nowhere.

6. COACH of the Year? Mike D'Antoni. To keep the team focused after taking a team that was completely rebuilt and after losing their most dominant player says a lot.

7. ROOKIE of the Year? We all know.

8. 6th Man of the Year? Mike Miller.
Old 04-14-06, 02:55 PM
SpursReport Team Member

1. Who is this seasons MVP? steve nash
no one expected this kind of success without amare, and i didnt choose dirk because i feel a.j. has made more of an impact for the mavericks than anything he's done. i dont think they'll give it to him 2 years in a row, but he really deserves it again.

2. Most IMPROVED Team? los angeles clippers

3. Most DISAPOINTING Team (regardless of injury)? houston
seattle comes a close second for breaking up a playoff team, but houston had alot of expectations and failed to deliver (again)

4. DEFENSIVE Player of the YEAR? bruce bowen
over the last few years he's been the best perimeter defender in the league and hasnt gotten this award once... he should get it this year because none of his competition (that i can think of) has had outstanding numbers... at least not good enough to separate themselves from what bruce bowen does defensively night in and night out.

5. Most IMPROVED Player? david west
no one talks about him, but they still have to hear "the good, the bad, and the ugly" theme song.

6. COACH of the Year? avery johnson
for bringing a touch of the spurs to the brokeback mavericks... he's basically gotten a squad who wouldnt defend to occassionally defend and it's made a huge difference. he's also made dirk take responsibility for being the go-to guy. (though we dont know how well it will work in the playoffs)

7. ROOKIE of the Year? chris paul
amazing rookie year

8. 6th Man of the Year? michael finley
a true bench player now, averaging under 30mins a game and playing a huge role for the spurs.
Old 04-14-06, 03:12 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Nash, I am impressed with what he has done, both individually and with his 3 new starters and 9 new teammates. All this and Amare only played 3 games this year. The Suns have played far beyond my expectations.

2. Most IMPROVED Team?

Orlando Magic, I know, they have only played well since they traded away, the Franchise, but I cannot believe they are still in the hunt for the playoffs. Don't think they make it, but would you like to play them in the first round? They could have tanked and played for the big, ping-pong, instead they have played together and are setting themselves up for next year. (Of course I felt the same about the Warriors last year, but Dwight Howard is really good)

Minnesota Timberwolves, I thought they would at least make the playoffs with KG and here they currently sit, tanking the season for ping-pong balls.

BB - "On Sesame Street, the letter “D” is always brought to you by Bruce Bowen."

5. Most IMPROVED Player?
Boris Diaw, c'est vrai.

6. COACH of the Year?
Have to go with D'Antoni, see the Nash comments. I could also have taken Avery, but he lost points with me for calling out his MVP, "79 games, no leadership" candidate.

7. ROOKIE of the Year?
Chris Paul, no contest.

8. 6th Man of the Year?
Mike Miller, Grizzzzlies.