News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-06, 10:55 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Spurs loose two more national coverage game!

Why does it always seem to be the Spurs getting thier games cut by the national television stations. Which really sucks for Austin fans becuase nobody will end up picking up the games.

Sunday's Spurs vs Wolves games seems to be cut as well as next Wednesday's Spurs vs Rockets game.

And this isn't the first time this season the Spurs games have been pulled from the big TV stations.

I guess I can understand that the Spurs opponents were supposed to be a lot better this year (Wolves and Rockets) and both teams have been huge disappointments; but why punish Spurs fans as well?
I could also understand it better if they did the same to other teams who are playing horrible teams, but that is not the case.

Take tonight for instance Clevland vs New York (the worst team in the league) didn't get pulled from TNT even though LeBron is day to day and might not even play and the Knicks are a total joke of a team.
Or Friday game with Phoenix vs Golden State on ESPN; another good team vs horrible team that didn't get pulled
Or the second game on ESPN next wednesday(the first game was supposed to be the Spurs) they didn't pull the Denver vs Seatle game; a decent team vs another horrible team

Hell if you look at ESPN's national TV listings, the two games that got pulled (16th & 19th) they aren't even showing the Spurs having games on those nights anymore
http://www.nba.com/schedules/nationa...ule/index.html

Why do they hate the Spurs sooooo much.
Come on Spurs just keep shoving championships down thier throat until they are forced to give you guys more respect
Old 04-13-06, 10:57 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Saw that coming. Both those teams are in the dumps right now and dont have the same draw. Sucks, but its not a surprise.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-13-06, 10:58 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

I don't think winning championships is going to change it much.

3 championships later and we're still not the team American wants to watch?

I think we better get used to that.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-13-06, 11:06 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Who would you say is considered "America's Team?" Sure is hell not the Spurs.

The ONLY reason the Knicks are there is because they have NY in front of their name. And america loves to watch misery, why do you think reality TV is so popular? As for the Warriors/Suns? Before the start of the season the Warriors were being advertised as the new "run and gun" suns.
Old 04-13-06, 11:06 AM

In NBA basketball - I don't know if there is ONE team people will always tune in to watch.

Used to be the Bulls, used to be the Lakers.

In reality, I think what turns ppeople off is how many mediocre teams there are and how many of the "stars" play on mediocre or non-playoff teams.

My guess is the team that may interest America the most would be Miami. Pat Riley & Shaq O'Neal. Instant name recognition PLUS the brilliance of a Dwayne Wade.

I'm not really surprised at this TV thing at all. I guess the network is just doing what's right for business. Who knows? If we were in their shoes, worrying about advertisers, we'd probably drop these games too.
Old 04-13-06, 11:09 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

it's not the spurs games that are cut, it's the t-wolves and rockets games that are being cut. the powers that be (who don't have as much power as the paranoid among us think) thought those teams might be competing for big time playoff spots. instead they're shutting it down and putting uniforms on the cleaning staff for the remaining games. it's pitiful. i can't blame the networks for wanting to show some decent games.

Dave McNulla
Spurs Fan

Tweet Me
Old 04-13-06, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malice
The ONLY reason the Knicks are there is because they have NY in front of their name. And america loves to watch misery, why do you think reality TV is so popular?

I honestly don't think the Knicks have anything to do with it. Look who they're playing.

The major networks will jump at the chance to have LeBron James do his thing on national television. Even against a bad Knicks team.

I mean, how often did we have to endure Jordan vs the Bucks, Cavs, Nets, Magic or Sixers in the late 80's, early 90's?

Networks don't care he's playing the Knicks - they only care that he's playing on national TV. Bottom line.
Old 04-13-06, 11:18 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Yes I agree Lebron is another big reason(if not the only reason) NY is on National TV. However, lets see what games they replace the Wolves and Rockets games with. My money is it either has a LA or NY in front of the names. I honestly could care less if they televise these last few games on National TV, I've got League Pass. But before I did, I would covet every chance I got to see them on TV. So, I get what bo spur is saying.
Old 04-13-06, 11:19 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
it's not the spurs games that are cut, it's the t-wolves and rockets games that are being cut. the powers that be (who don't have as much power as the paranoid among us think) thought those teams might be competing for big time playoff spots. instead they're shutting it down and putting uniforms on the cleaning staff for the remaining games. it's pitiful. i can't blame the networks for wanting to show some decent games.
then what about Pho vs Golden State? Or Denver vs Seatle? Niether of those games seem very entertaining either, and neither will have much importance as far as playoff seedings but somehow those don't get cut even though there are better games on those days. I don't think they will ever cut a Cavs game as long as LeBron's playing for them.
Old 04-13-06, 11:22 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo spur
then what about Pho vs Golden State? Or Denver vs Seatle? Niether of those games seem very entertaining either, and neither will have much importance as far as playoff seedings but somehow those don't get cut even though there are better games on those days. I don't think they will ever cut a Cavs game as long as LeBron's playing for them.
Its the name game homie! Nash vs Baron(if he was healthy) Carmelo Vs Ray Ray.
Old 04-13-06, 11:27 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Well it all still really sucks especially for Spurs fans in Austin who always get screwed.
Old 04-13-06, 11:46 AM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

I could care less if the rest of the nation doesn't get to see the Spurs, it does however piss me off that we can't even get the Austin stations to pick the games up....and I'm sick and tired of that lame WB excuse, oh we have to play the network shows.....my butt, 35 in SA picks up the games and so does KENS, the truth is, they just don't want to spend any money on programming......that's why Austin stations are nothing but infomercials on the weekends.....
Old 04-13-06, 01:16 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
golden state and seattle are still trying and succeeding in winning games. timberwolves and rockets have just plain quit.

Dave McNulla
Spurs Fan

Tweet Me
Old 04-13-06, 01:35 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Its because this is the time of year everyone wants to watch teams with hopes of making the Playoffs. I myself dont mind, after all we still watch our Spurs plus an exciting game of playoff hopefuls.
Old 04-13-06, 01:38 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
Its because this is the time of year everyone wants to watch teams with hopes of making the Playoffs. I myself dont mind, after all we still watch our Spurs plus an exciting game of playoff hopefuls.
I wouldn't mind either if I still got to watch the game, but that's the point, the only way Austin fans get to watch the game is if it on nationally. Fox Sports might have picked these games up if not for the fact that ESPN and ABC already had them, only to cut them a week before leaving us with nothing.
Old 04-13-06, 01:45 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
I wouldn't mind either if I still got to watch the game, but that's the point, the only way Austin fans get to watch the game is if it on nationally. Fox Sports might have picked these games up if not for the fact that ESPN and ABC already had them, only to cut them a week before leaving us with nothing.
Didnt know Austin didnt get these games locally. That should be something the Spurs should look into. Yeah so I too would get pissed myself if that was the only way I could see Spurs games. You should write Spurs office and see what they can do about haveing regional games shown locally in Austin, I mean we are practically neighbors. Maybe for now the sports bars will have to take your money buying beers watching the games LOL j/k.
Old 04-13-06, 01:46 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I feel your pain. I am 500 miles away from San Antonio.I have dish and at least could watch some games on Fox Southwest. This year they even blocked the Spurs! I bought their sports package which gives me NBA tv and they have showed a few on there. I guess the powers that be are trying to force us to buy league pass.
Old 04-13-06, 01:49 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Well Austin's WB and Kens affliates here in Austin only pick up weekend games, and usually great one's like vs Atlant and the Blazers
I've *****ed and complained but they are more worried about showing re-run show then Spurs games.

And they black out the NBATV over here as well as leauge pass also, but the funny thing is they say its becuase we are in the Spurs Market, and they want us to drive to the game. But here's the kicker, the games they black out are almost always away games, games we couldn't go to if we wanted to, because FSSW usually picks up the home games.
IDIOTS!

Quote:
I guess the powers that be are trying to force us to buy league pass.
If getting league pass meant I got to watch every Spurs game, I would have no problem at all. But they are blacked out in Austin.
Old 04-13-06, 01:53 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Well Austin's WB and Kens affliates here in Austin only pick up weekend games, and usually great one's like vs Atlant and the Blazers
I've *****ed and complained but they are more worried about showing re-run show then Spurs games.

And they black out the NBATV over here as well as leauge pass also, but the funny thing is they say its becuase we are in the Spurs Market, and they want us to drive to the game. But here's the kicker, the games they black out are almost always away games, games we couldn't go to if we wanted to, because FSSW usually picks up the home games.
IDIOTS!

If getting league pass meant I got to watch every Spurs game, I would have no problem at all. But they are blacked out in Austin.
Damn that really sucks. Look at it in a better light,the playoffs are around the corner. They dont blockout those Nationally televisized games, so keep your chin up.
Old 04-13-06, 02:55 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:

IDIOTS!

i had the same coversation with san diego cox cable about the spurs/clippers games. even the away games are not shown because fox sports has exclusive rights on all non-nationally televised games (abc, espn, tnt). i told them that we don't have fox sports west II (fox sports west I shows laker games), but they said there isn't enough demand. they said me yelling louder "i demand it" doesn't constitue more demand.

you probably have a similar situation. somebody owns the rights, but they don't choose to show it so you get screwed. your only ways out is to move or drum up more demand. have a petition drive or something.

Dave McNulla
Spurs Fan

Tweet Me
Old 04-13-06, 03:04 PM
SpursReport Team Member

After what the Warriors did to the Mavs last night, the Suns/Warriors game could be fun, if nothing else. Lots and lots of scoring and 3 pointers. I even wonder about that, as the Suns will be on a B2B, or should I have written, Mulligan?
Old 04-13-06, 03:18 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Look on the bright side. If the game isn't nationally televised, the Spurs stand a much better chance of winning. Anyone got the breakdown on W/L for nationally televised games (ESPN, ABC or TNT)? It seems like most of the time I watched the Spurs this year, they lost.
Old 04-13-06, 03:43 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by panacea
After what the Warriors did to the Mavs last night, the Suns/Warriors game could be fun, if nothing else. Lots and lots of scoring and 3 pointers. I even wonder about that, as the Suns will be on a B2B, or should I have written, Mulligan?
Old 04-13-06, 03:49 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

KG and Yao both out, they're punishing the Wolves/Rockets, not the Spurs.
Old 04-13-06, 07:25 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Miami vs Chicago will be shown on Sunday instead of Spurs and Wolves. Mavs and Clips will replace Spurs and Rockets on the 19th.

It's all about ratings. Any questions?
Old 04-13-06, 08:39 PM
SpursReport Team Member

And why do I get so annoyed at people spelling "lose" with two Os?

Oh, oops. Let me get in the spirit of this thread.

Spurs get no respect, whine, moan. There.

Mike Wilks, we barely knew ye.
Old 04-13-06, 09:18 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousspirit
Miami vs Chicago will be shown on Sunday instead of Spurs and Wolves. Mavs and Clips will replace Spurs and Rockets on the 19th.

It's all about ratings. Any questions?
It's all about possible playoff matchups and the East 8th seed. The Clips and Mavs could meet in the first round. And the Bulls are racing with the Sixers for "Early Exit Honors" in the East.

Meanwhile, the Wolves will be KG-less. And the Rox will be w/o Yao and McGrady. Neither team is going anywhere. With that in mind, I'm willing to bet that Pop sits everyone with a nagging something or another; including our Big 3. As much as I love the Spurs on national TV, I don't want to watch what will essentially be exhibition games.

Last edited by bossu; 04-13-06 at 09:26 PM.
Old 04-13-06, 09:56 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Now aren't we glad this game was dropped?
Then chances are good that YOU ALMOST FREAKING KILLED ME IN THE PARKING LOT
Old 04-13-06, 10:59 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I can't recall TNT ever pulling games. ESPN does it all the time though.
Old 04-14-06, 11:13 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Sucks but Spurs do better on non national TV games it seems except the ones that matter - Finals and *&^% the ratings.