News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 04-12-06, 12:12 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Timmy's bank shot

More than anything else, it's the one aspect of Tim's game that I miss. It used to be absolute money, and I can't understand where it's gone.

That bank shot is so easy that even I can hit it. In fact it's the only thing I've got (along with some smarts) that lets me still get on the court at my incredibly advanced age.

Thoughts, anyone?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-12-06, 12:15 AM
Dr. Doom!!!

His life maybe has something to do with it? If it is that easy though in an NBA game then everyone would hit them left and right, yet Tim was one of the few left who could hit that shot right? Obviously it's not that EASY. I think his foot has something to do with it, and expect some of it in the offs.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-12-06, 12:16 AM
SpursReport Team Member

he prob just isnt comfortable with it right now. I doubt his foot has anything to do with the bank shot. It doesnt take much lift to hit a bank shot and its not like he doesnt hit other shots. As Pop has said before Duncan seems rotate in and out different moves and the bank just isnt going down right now
Old 04-12-06, 12:21 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

In previous interviews, Tim has said he just has to work through it.
Old 04-12-06, 12:29 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

I agree that the shot takes no lift. At Tim's height, it's a mere flick of the wrist.

Back in the day, being able to hit it consistently from 15' opened up the middle for him and easily got him 6-10 points a game. He's still taking the shot, and he still seems wide open whenever he takes it. But it almost always clangs off the rim these days. Iit seems like at least a year since it's been automatic the way it used to be.
Old 04-12-06, 01:06 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

It is his outside shot, period.

He's not hitting from anywhere, bank or no bank, and his free throw shooting is even worse than usual.

He's shooting 35% from outside the paint, according to 82games.com.

Cause: unknown. Possibly plantar fasciitis, though I doubt it.
Old 04-12-06, 01:14 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Tim's one of the most mental players in history. He's his biggest critic, but he doesn't effect him to the point where he will pass up the last shot or believe that he or his team can pull out a win, but Tim's not very good at forgetting the last shot and shooting through it......but come playoff time, mark my words, there'll be a few 30 pts, 15 reb games out of timmy ......that's what makes him great...
Old 04-12-06, 01:32 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Timmy's shot has always lacked arc, thus giving him little margin for error if his aim is a little off. That's perhaps the only fundamental flaw in his game that he has failed to address.
Old 04-12-06, 01:47 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

i think its all confidence...i noticed he hasnt tried to shoot it as much as in the past or last year. the times he has shot the bank it looks like he is not shooting w/ confidence.
before even when he was off he tried it to bait the defender into a foul. he hasnt even tried it from what ive seen.

once he gets his confidence up he will get rolling. fiesta is around the corner and that means one thing...the playoffs!! i know tim will be ready.
Old 04-12-06, 02:10 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckennaspur1
That bank shot is so easy that even I can hit it. In fact it's the only thing I've got (along with some smarts) that lets me still get on the court at my incredibly advanced age.
Agree 100%. For me it's a basketball mystery why we don't see this shot used more often at every level. I'm a bricklayer from way back, but I can hit this shot at a decent percentage. Plus it's just plain fun!

I really miss this from Tim and the demoralizing effect it had on opponents. Tim comes down and pops 2-3 of those beauties in a row, resulting in a time out. Other team tries to run at Tim or body up, and he simply takes it to the hole or finds an open teamate.
Those were the days.
Old 04-12-06, 02:40 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnwhuxley
It is his outside shot, period.

He's not hitting from anywhere, bank or no bank, and his free throw shooting is even worse than usual.

He's shooting 35% from outside the paint, according to 82games.com.

Cause: unknown. Possibly plantar fasciitis, though I doubt it.
His injury probably has a huge part to do with it, but more on the mental side than physical side, these days, above all I think.

"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at this rock perhaps 100 times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the 101st blow, it will split in two and I know it was not that blow that did it. But all that had gone before." - Jacob Riis
Old 04-12-06, 03:32 AM
SpursReport Team Member

It is possible he misses because of uneven lift from his legs due to pf. And then the mental part simply made it worse. That was the case with me when i had knee problems and i was missing easy shots badly without even realizing why.
Old 04-12-06, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alka-Seltzer
For me it's a basketball mystery why we don't see this shot used more often at every level...
I think that players today look at the bank-shot as a cop-out or a wimp move. I mean how many times have you heard some trash talking about how "you have to call it if you are gonna bank it" on the playground? Personally, I think a softly kissed bank shot is just as sweet as a perfect swish.
Old 04-12-06, 12:47 PM
SpursReport Team Member

despite the near misses.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo_radley
I think that players today look at the bank-shot as a cop-out or a wimp move. I mean how many times have you heard some trash talking about how "you have to call it if you are gonna bank it" on the playground? Personally, I think a softly kissed bank shot is just as sweet as a perfect swish.
I thought Duncan played really well today overall. He missed many shots by the slightest margin and could have easily gone for 10-18 instead of the 6-18 as I counted 4 shots that rolled off the rim. He just didn't get the bounces today.

But again, he took it to the rack very aggressively and got number of chances at 3 after being fouled...unfortunately his foul shooting was not good (he really should put more arc on his shots like Nazr does...TD shoots it too hard and too low). His defense and shot blocking and aggressiveness on both ends were very good and if some of his shots & foul shooting fell in, he would have another monster night. Not only did he block 5 shots but he altered many others and was generally a very strong presence in the paint. I think he is starting to be more aggressive and is starting to get into the playoff intensity as he probably realizes that he needs to take over now that the real season is starting to get underway.

very reassuring
Old 04-12-06, 12:50 PM
The Master Baiter

It seems like he never really decides whether he is going to bank or not. The ones that I've seen him take have barely hit the backboard, like it was indecisive. If it were a true bank shot, he would have hit somewhere near the corner of the square. Now he tries that move to the middle and throws up a seemingly desperation hook shot and hopes he gets a call. It has been frustrating.