News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
  #1  
Old 04-09-06, 10:13 PM
RagATM's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 210
RagATM eats crow

Ok, here's your opportunity to throw tomatoes at me if you wish. I recently said some things about Timmy that insulted some of you, and although I didn't see the game tonight, it appears Duncan was back to his former self. So I apologize. But, consider this, If I were to criticize Nazr, would this place erupt? Heck no! I understand coming to Duncan's defense, but some of you act as if he gives more effort than other Spurs. As if I should feel sorry for him because he's hurt. Tim Duncan is the most talented player on our team. And with that, comes both great responsibilty and rewards. I've always been a Spurs fan first, and I don't feel we owe one player more appreciation than another just because he's more talented. Moreover, you'll probably never convincingly win an debate by spitting out such garbage as, "get the hell out," or "I hate the bandwagon fans." That's it, I'm done with this silly argument. And Remember, I root for the same team you do.

Last edited by RagATM; 04-09-06 at 10:16 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-09-06, 10:19 PM
DizzG's Avatar
SpursReport Team Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 8,595

being concerned was one thing...when you got into looking at trading him or that he was past his prime at 29 and near the end thats another thing
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-09-06, 10:24 PM
RagATM's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 210

past his prime doesn't mean near the end...jordan was past his prime during his last three championships...i guess it's how you look at it. Duncan, statistically..is past his prime...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-09-06, 10:25 PM
kyleo's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Austin
Posts: 1,390

That's not much of a crow-eating when you're scolding people again

Whatever, man. People get frustrated. But - I believe that, as a fan of the Spurs, you owe the man who brought you three championships more allegiance than trading him after an injury-laden season. He'll get more support than Nazr simply for that reason. We live and die by Duncan.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-09-06, 10:31 PM
DizzG's Avatar
SpursReport Team Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 8,595

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagATM
past his prime doesn't mean near the end...jordan was past his prime during his last three championships...i guess it's how you look at it. Duncan, statistically..is past his prime...
I think Duncan is right in his prime actually. he isnt even 30 and with the way he plays..without any MAJOR injury..he should have more than a few very good years left. If not for his foot issue this year I think his stats would at least be right in line with previous years as would his play over the whole season.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-09-06, 10:40 PM
Loop's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Phili
Posts: 470

I agree...that's the worst eating crow post I think I've ever seen.
__________________
-Loop
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-09-06, 10:55 PM
santys's Avatar
SpursReport Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 79

Trade him?? Who's talking about trading TD? Come on man...u gotta be nuts...even if TD averaged 10 and 5...I wouldn't trade him...He's brought us 3 titles...we owe him that much...I know he makes a lot of money...but come on!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-09-06, 10:55 PM
curiousspirit's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: under the radar
Posts: 3,614

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagATM
past his prime doesn't mean near the end...jordan was past his prime during his last three championships...i guess it's how you look at it. Duncan, statistically..is past his prime...
Has it occurred to you that we have a better offensive lineup and bench than we had previously? Tim does not HAVE to be the leading scorer for us to win. He is the wall in the middle that teams fear. He is the player that is double/triple teamed when he has the ball. Labeling Tim passed his prime due to statistics is using very limited reasoning. There is much, much more to Tim's game than points and rebounds.

BTW, thanks for eating the well deserved crow.
__________________
It is what it is -- Bruce Bowen
When everyone thinks alike, no one thinks.-- Bill Walton
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-09-06, 11:00 PM
To be named later's Avatar
SpursReport Team Captain
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 6,778

That's not an eating crow post.

That's a
"I'm sorry I got busted, and proved wrong, for now......"
post
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-09-06, 11:08 PM
MomBear's Avatar
MomBear
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Hey... shouldn't this be in the TD apology thread????
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-09-06, 11:26 PM
Rzarector7's Avatar
Dr. Doom!!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: VA
Posts: 5,542

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagATM
past his prime doesn't mean near the end...jordan was past his prime during his last three championships...i guess it's how you look at it. Duncan, statistically..is past his prime...
Hakeem at 30?????? Anyone? 31 too????? Jordan past his prime in the last three titles? Yeah sure, he was just as deadly as ever, still would eat your azz up and get what he needed to when he needed it, he was in his prime them IMO, just learned more of a team game then the 80's MJ. Tim is in his prime still, and will put up good numbers again until around 33 or so.
__________________
Win or lose this is a game -
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-09-06, 11:39 PM
To be named later's Avatar
SpursReport Team Captain
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 6,778

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-09-06, 11:51 PM
RagATM's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomBear
Hey... shouldn't this be in the TD apology thread????
You're right Mombear...maybe they should lock this because I'm offically condemned on this forum. geez...I liked it better when I was trying to be funny in these here parts. You think Tim cares about what I write? I've learned there are some things you should keep at the watercooler and in the privacy of your own livingroom. And for the record...I do not want to trade Tim Duncan...I merely suggested that if and only if he can't heal and is a detriment to the team at sometime in ,oh say the next couple of years we should entertain offers. We need an influx of youth regardless. Also, I was pissed because we lost. I was venting...you know...when you sometimes say things you don't completely mean? But you guys tested me to defend my original statement, so I was up for the challenge;) I guess I wasn't done with this yet.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-09-06, 11:56 PM
curiousspirit's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: under the radar
Posts: 3,614

Now THAT, sounds more like eating crow. I still wouldn't trade TD, but I can understand venting.
__________________
It is what it is -- Bruce Bowen
When everyone thinks alike, no one thinks.-- Bill Walton
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-10-06, 12:00 AM
theinswes's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,730

^when was the last time a youngster led his team to the championship though? honestly, think back over the champs recently, because each team had veteran players, not necessarily old, but battle tested and smart. the wallaces are 30 too. kobe had his first few years before he had phil, and he had shaq. tim's in his prime NOW, as is manu, and they're surrounded with vets so they can win right now.

aside from magic, the last young guy i can clearly think of to become finals mvp was tim duncan in '99. he came in ready to produce big numbers, and he's been consistent ever since. but don't disregard the intangibles like his leadership and character and how it reflects on the rest of the team.

and i think timmie showed that he doesn't give a sh!t what the critics say, he just pays no mind and does his thing, but obviously his fans are gonna defend him on his behalf.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-10-06, 12:03 AM
MomBear's Avatar
MomBear
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagATM
You're right Mombear...maybe they should lock this because I'm offically condemned on this forum. geez...I liked it better when I was trying to be funny in these here parts. You think Tim cares about what I write? I've learned there are some things you should keep at the watercooler and in the privacy of your own livingroom. And for the record...I do not want to trade Tim Duncan...I merely suggested that if and only if he can't heal and is a detriment to the team at sometime in ,oh say the next couple of years we should entertain offers. We need an influx of youth regardless. Also, I was pissed because we lost. I was venting...you know...when you sometimes say things you don't completely mean? But you guys tested me to defend my original statement, so I was up for the challenge;) I guess I wasn't done with this yet.
aww don't worry about these dorks... and we've missed you... so don't even think about leaving...


Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-10-06, 07:38 AM
DizzG's Avatar
SpursReport Team Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 8,595

if Duncan doesnt have at least 23 points in the next game the same people are just going to be jumping off again. nothing has changed
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-10-06, 11:32 AM
ladyspur's Avatar  
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagATM
You're right Mombear...maybe they should lock this because I'm offically condemned on this forum. geez...I liked it better when I was trying to be funny in these here parts. You think Tim cares about what I write? I've learned there are some things you should keep at the watercooler and in the privacy of your own livingroom. And for the record...I do not want to trade Tim Duncan...I merely suggested that if and only if he can't heal and is a detriment to the team at sometime in ,oh say the next couple of years we should entertain offers. We need an influx of youth regardless. Also, I was pissed because we lost. I was venting...you know...when you sometimes say things you don't completely mean? But you guys tested me to defend my original statement, so I was up for the challenge;) I guess I wasn't done with this yet.
Glad you decided not to leave.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-10-06, 06:02 PM
SRJ's Avatar
SRJ SRJ is offline
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Victoria, TX
Posts: 4,133

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagATM
Ok, here's your opportunity to throw tomatoes at me if you wish. I recently said some things about Timmy that insulted some of you, and although I didn't see the game tonight, it appears Duncan was back to his former self. So I apologize. But, consider this, If I were to criticize Nazr, would this place erupt? Heck no! I understand coming to Duncan's defense, but some of you act as if he gives more effort than other Spurs. As if I should feel sorry for him because he's hurt. Tim Duncan is the most talented player on our team. And with that, comes both great responsibilty and rewards. I've always been a Spurs fan first, and I don't feel we owe one player more appreciation than another just because he's more talented. Moreover, you'll probably never convincingly win an debate by spitting out such garbage as, "get the hell out," or "I hate the bandwagon fans." That's it, I'm done with this silly argument. And Remember, I root for the same team you do.
First of all, I hope I answered you with a solid argument rather than flaming. If I didn't, mea culpa.

Second of all, you've done more than most "chastized" posters have. You came back and said let me have it. And objectively, from a bottom-line POV, you raised legitimate issues. While I happened to think you were wrong, it's healthy to challenge conventional wisdom and you deserve credit for it.

For me, your argument didn't jibe with me in two ways: 1) I didn't think one bad season of 19 points and 11 rebounds a game necessarily merit the idea that Tim was on the downside. The possibility exists, no question, and we'll all be watching closely next year to see if any of this lingers. 2) I try to be rational and objective, but my heart gets the better of me on occasions. I don't want to see certain players play in San Antonio. I don't want to see certain players leave (come on back Malik!). In my sports fan's heart, loyalty and character sometimes outweighs results. The only uniforms other than Spurs uniforms I want Tim in are on the West All-Stars and USA Basketball. He's gone through an awful lot in his nine seasons to hang three flags in the rafters, and we cheered like mad when he did. It was wonderful the day David Robinson played his last game at home to clinch a championship. It'll be fine too if Tim hangs it up in Philadelphia, missing the playoffs, on the wrong end of a 20-point loss - long as the jersey says SPURS on the front. He's done more than enough for this town already.

RagATM, please don't be reticent about posting again. We need more smart and funny people around.
__________________
Please click the link below to read and review my new short story:
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-10-06, 06:13 PM
magnificent's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,985

what the hell is crow
__________________
"when it rains, it pours"
bob ortegel(mavericks broadcaster) on stephen jacksons 7 straight 3pointers in game 6
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 04-10-06, 06:15 PM
Lord Deimos's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: being productive for a change
Posts: 1,893

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnificent
what the hell is crow
It's what you'll be eating after the first round.
__________________
Are you:
A) Female?
B) Attending UTSA?
Then chances are good that YOU ALMOST FREAKING KILLED ME IN THE PARKING LOT

Last edited by Lord Deimos; 04-10-06 at 06:33 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-10-06, 06:36 PM
MomBear's Avatar
MomBear
Guest
 
Posts: n/a



Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-10-06, 06:40 PM
EG 20's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Buenos Aires
Posts: 763

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Deimos
It's what you'll be eating after the first round.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-10-06, 06:56 PM
RagATM's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Deimos
It's what you'll be eating after the first round.
yes!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurs 2-0, Rockets 2-2, Jazz 0-2
First of all, I hope I answered you with a solid argument rather than flaming. If I didn't, mea culpa.

Second of all, you've done more than most "chastized" posters have. You came back and said let me have it. And objectively, from a bottom-line POV, you raised legitimate issues. While I happened to think you were wrong, it's healthy to challenge conventional wisdom and you deserve credit for it.

For me, your argument didn't jibe with me in two ways: 1) I didn't think one bad season of 19 points and 11 rebounds a game necessarily merit the idea that Tim was on the downside. The possibility exists, no question, and we'll all be watching closely next year to see if any of this lingers. 2) I try to be rational and objective, but my heart gets the better of me on occasions. I don't want to see certain players play in San Antonio. I don't want to see certain players leave (come on back Malik!). In my sports fan's heart, loyalty and character sometimes outweighs results. The only uniforms other than Spurs uniforms I want Tim in are on the West All-Stars and USA Basketball. He's gone through an awful lot in his nine seasons to hang three flags in the rafters, and we cheered like mad when he did. It was wonderful the day David Robinson played his last game at home to clinch a championship. It'll be fine too if Tim hangs it up in Philadelphia, missing the playoffs, on the wrong end of a 20-point loss - long as the jersey says SPURS on the front. He's done more than enough for this town already.

RagATM, please don't be reticent about posting again. We need more smart and funny people around.
Great points! I agree you you about your your heart getting the best of you concerning certain players. I was torn when rumors circulated about trading Robinson for Webber back in 2001. At the time, I thought Webber could have made our team much better, but then how can we trade the guy I've rooted for since I was 11 years old? History tells us we made the right decision, but still it's tough at times. San Antonio has been blessed beyond belief to have men of solid character represent the city. I still like winning, but it's nice to be able to root for the players as well as the team.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-10-06, 06:57 PM
magnificent's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,985

eating after the 1st round? tell me what is the meaning of this crow nonsense!
__________________
"when it rains, it pours"
bob ortegel(mavericks broadcaster) on stephen jacksons 7 straight 3pointers in game 6
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04-10-06, 09:23 PM
MomBear's Avatar
MomBear
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

EATING CROW
And other indigestibles
When you have made a serious error and need to acknowledge it humbly, it is highly probable that the expression you use to describe the process has something to do with food.
The best-known traditional expression of this type in the US is to eat crow. The origin seems fairly obvious: the meat of the crow, being a carnivore, is presumably rank and extremely distasteful, and the experience is easily equated to the mental anguish of being forced to admit one’s fallibility. But you may understand that my desire for accuracy has not led me so far as trying the experiment for myself, though taking a line through rook pie, which I tried once at an over-enthusiastic historical reconstruction, it seems a reasonable assumption. We need someone like the eccentric Victorian surgeon Frank Buckland, founder of the London Acclimatisation Society—dedicated to introducing useful new plants and animals into countries where they were unknown—whose hobby was eating his way through the animal kingdom, trying out delicacies such as roast giraffe and elephant trunk soup. He once returned from holiday to find that a leopard at the London Zoo had died and been interred in a flower bed; seizing a spade, he immediately dug it up to try it. He is on record as remarking that “the very worst thing he ever ate was a mole”, but I can’t find out what he thought of crows. Volunteers to make empirical observations should form an orderly queue.


LINK
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.7.4 Copyright © 2000-2008 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0