News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 04-07-06, 02:43 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Help me pick my Spurs throwback jersey

All right I've been thinking about getting an obscure Spurs throwback for a few years now. Something that will set me apart from the legions of Duncan, Robinson, Parker, Ginobili, hell even Rodman jerseys out there. I'm 29, and my days as a fan date back to the pre-David era.

I found a website offering custom jerseys for $60, so I've decided to take the plunge. Although I've always been a huge Spurs fan, I've never owned a jersey before so this is a big decision for me.

This is where you come in. Vote for one of the choices below, or pick someone else and state your case for him in this thread.

A little background:

A. I'm about 6 feet tall, white, out of shape, and losing my hair. Just bear that in mind when you're trying to come up with a mental image.

B. The idea is to pick someone only a real Spurs fan would remember. Bonus points for guys that played on lottery teams, or 12th men. Failed draft picks are also high on my list.

C. It's gotta be from the pre-Duncan era. (I might make an exception for Devin Brown since I'm a Roadrunner) I'd prefer someone I've actually seen play, so that would narrow it down to players from say 1984-1996.

D. I'm leaning heavily toward Willie Anderson, since that's where my screen name comes from.

Without further ado, the candidates!

1. Devin Brown
2. Frank Brickowski
3. Cadillac Anderson
4. Dallas Comegys
5. Vernon Maxwell
6. Lloyd "Sweet Pea" Daniels
7. Vinnie Del Negro
8. Negele Knight
9. Will Perdue
10. Alfrederick Hughes
11. Tom Copa
12. Willie Anderson
13. Dwayne Schintzius

Help me Spursreport.com, you're my only hope!

-Bruce Bowen

Last edited by TheChillFactor; 04-07-06 at 02:54 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-07-06, 02:49 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChillFactor
A little background:

A. I'm about 6 feet tall, white, out of shape, and losing my hair. Just bear that in mind when you're trying to come up with a mental image.

You gotta do Dwayne Shintzuis!!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-07-06, 02:51 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

My thinking is a lot of those guys were too talented and too valuable to the team. From your list I would go with Tom Copa or Dallas Comegys cause I would love to walk down the street and see someone with those jerseys on. Also, don't count out Zarko Paspaj. There is some greatness right there.

"They say that mercy is the mark of a great man ... guess I'm just a good man ... well I'm alright."
http://www.myspace.com/b_hath
Old 04-07-06, 02:52 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpurInDallas

You gotta do Dwayne Shintzuis!!!!
dude you've seen my hair. i don't know if i would feel right wearing it, since there's no way in hell i could hold a candle to this-

-Bruce Bowen
Old 04-07-06, 02:53 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Zarko Paspalj
Old 04-07-06, 02:59 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Hath
My thinking is a lot of those guys were too talented and too valuable to the team. From your list I would go with Tom Copa or Dallas Comegys cause I would love to walk down the street and see someone with those jerseys on. Also, don't count out Zarko Paspaj. There is some greatness right there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB
Zarko Paspalj
yeah, i forgot about ol' Zarko. Interesting sidenote- during the infamous "Zarko" season, my aunt took me to a preseason game vs. the Celtics. we got our ass blown out by boston, but late in the game they put in Zarko and he proceeded to hit a couple shots. A guy a couple of rows in front of us then offered some astute basketball analysis after one of his baskets, yelling "make more of those, THEN WE'LL WIN!!!" of course this was ridiculous and my aunt and i were dying laughing. this guy thought he was brent musberger or something with that sort of commentary.

ever since then, whenever the spurs are way down but someone hits a shot, one of us will let out the "make more of those, THEN WE'LL WIN!!!"

okay, maybe you had to be there.

-Bruce Bowen
Old 04-07-06, 03:01 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I vote for Brickowski cuz I think it's a good looking name on a jersey, and a lot of female spurs fans back in the day thought he was the cute spur so that is a plus. I would think it's funny and cool and a definite conversation piece. It screams hardcore fan!
Old 04-07-06, 03:01 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Larry Kenon was always a fav of mine

better yet, why not wear a Dominique #21......should get a few stares

otherwise use this link to find Spurs of the past

http://www.basketballreference.com/t...tm?tm=sas&lg=n

"You're being rude to me. Don't chain me down with your manners."
Old 04-07-06, 03:08 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I'm too young to know most of these guys but by the looks of things you definately need to go with the mullet man. That is classic. As for the Duncan age, which is all I know, I would have to go with Mengke Bateer. I've seriously thought about getting his jersey.
Old 04-07-06, 03:13 PM

I vote for Cadillac Anderson.
Old 04-07-06, 03:18 PM
SR's Resident Laker Hater

No. 1 draft pick Alfredrick Hughes is always obscure. Alvin Robertson for cred and the Iceman for class.

Didn't Sleepy Floyd also play here for a short stint.
Old 04-07-06, 03:21 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Swen Nater
Skeeter Swift
George Karl
Bird Averitt
Mike Gale
John Shumate
Old 04-07-06, 03:26 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWest
No. 1 draft pick Alfredrick Hughes is always obscure. Alvin Robertson for cred and the Iceman for class.

Didn't Sleepy Floyd also play here for a short stint.
Alfrederick Hughes did have the most versatile name in Spurs history:
-Al
-Alfred
-Fred
-Frederick
-Rick
-Red
-Alf
-Derick...amazing

That being said I vote for Schintzius. The inspiration for the greatest Spurs in-game promotion ever: Fill Dwayne's Shorts.

Or you could always go with Uwe Blab.
Old 04-07-06, 03:27 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Kevin Willis !!!
T-Rex

Nevermind, you said pre-duncan..............lol
Old 04-07-06, 03:30 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

i say negel knight if you can find it. he wore #32 the only year elliott was in detroit.
Old 04-07-06, 03:30 PM
SpursReport Team Member

'Ivan make basket' <-----that's prolly dwaynes biggest basketball acheivement

P.S. - I would go with a Greg Sutton or Chris Whitney Jersey - Or maybe Reggie Williams

Last edited by 4down; 04-07-06 at 03:35 PM.
Old 04-07-06, 03:38 PM
SpursReport Rookie

POPOVICH

#XO
or
anyone know what Pop's Air Force # was??
Old 04-07-06, 03:39 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4down
'Ivan make basket' <-----that's prolly dwaynes biggest basketball acheivement

P.S. - I would go with a Greg Sutton or Chris Whitney Jersey - Or maybe Reggie Williams
haha dude remember when the spurs picked a point guard like 8 consecutive years in a row in the draft???

that was rivaled only by the cowboys taking a defensive end like 6 years in a row in the first round during the mid 90s!

-Bruce Bowen
Old 04-07-06, 04:01 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

i vote for Jerry Tarkanian
Old 04-07-06, 04:06 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Did someone say Brokeback around here?
Old 04-07-06, 06:03 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Moses Malone
Old 04-07-06, 06:10 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

C.Person
Old 04-07-06, 10:38 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Geoff Crompton
Gene Banks
John Paxson (some may not know this)
Tyrone Corbin
Walter Berry
Wiley Peck
Greg Sutton
Pete Myers
Tom Garrick
Carl Herrera (the guy Tim replaced!)
Edgar Jones
Swen Nater
George Johnson
Brad Lohaus
Maurice Cheeks
Old 04-07-06, 11:04 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Mark Olberding or better yet, the best jersey to match your description:
Billy "The Whopper" Paultz

A true long term fan will remember and appreciate the "Whopper" over any of those other long term names.
Old 04-07-06, 11:10 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Copa.

Sith
Old 04-07-06, 11:37 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB
Zarko Paspalj

WISE MAN
Old 04-07-06, 11:40 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Kurt Nimphius
Old 04-08-06, 02:04 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Terry Cummings....uhhh...Rod Strickland....uhhh....Walter Berry....ummmm....Artis Gilmore....but if im droppin' 60 bones on a throwback.....an old school cat like me would have to bust out with the 'iceman'...or at least 'captain late'
Old 04-08-06, 07:08 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Hall of famer Dominique Wilkins

"Into Sean Elliott. He fires the three. AND HITS IT!"
Old 04-08-06, 09:09 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Vote number 2 for Person
Old 04-08-06, 10:18 PM
SpursReport Team Member

A Wilkins #21 would be my choice, if we're talking pre-Duncan. If Duncan-era counted, I'd have to say...

#11, Mike Wilks. O.o

Mike Wilks, we barely knew ye.
Old 04-08-06, 11:56 PM

Negele Knight because he has the coolest name
Old 04-08-06, 11:57 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

VINNY!
Old 04-09-06, 01:59 AM
SpursReport Team Member

i say brad lohaus just based on the fact that i saw a guy actually wearing one about 9 months ago, haha.
Old 04-10-06, 11:54 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

dude i can't believe you saw a guy in a lohaus jersey lol.

some great suggestions in here, but right now the leading contender has to be the schintzius.

no suggestions from amente, or jason r? i won't consider this vote over until i hear from those cats.

-Bruce Bowen

Last edited by TheChillFactor; 04-10-06 at 12:22 PM.
Old 04-10-06, 12:05 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurs 2-0, Rockets 2-2, Jazz 0-2
John Paxson (some may not know this)
Did he ever suit up, or was he traded on draft day?

"They say that mercy is the mark of a great man ... guess I'm just a good man ... well I'm alright."
http://www.myspace.com/b_hath
Old 04-10-06, 12:33 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by billcat
Mark Olberding or better yet, the best jersey to match your description:
Billy "The Whopper" Paultz

A true long term fan will remember and appreciate the "Whopper" over any of those other long term names.
i wondered if i was gonna see the name Olberding here... i work for a pest control company and he's one of our customers. I'll hve to tell him he got a mention on SR
Old 04-10-06, 02:06 PM
SpursReport Rookie

The Paultz throwback would be classic. I would go with that, Walter Berry, or Edgar Jones.
Old 04-10-06, 06:16 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Hath
Did he ever suit up, or was he traded on draft day?
He played 2 or 3 seasons. I'll look it up because I have no life.

Below is the link. His first and second seasons were in San Antonio. His middle name is MacBeth and he had a sweet-ass mustache when he was here.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...paxsojo01.html
Old 04-18-06, 09:06 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

all right, after much deliberation, I've decided to go with the Schintzius.

1 problem - I can't find what number he wore. I know he wore 55 with the Celtics, and I think he wore 24 with another team, but I thought he wore something in the 30's when he was here.

Any help???

-Bruce Bowen
Old 04-18-06, 10:04 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blab for Welp
Alfrederick Hughes did have the most versatile name in Spurs history...
Yes folks, we drafted him ahead of Joe Dumars...
Old 04-18-06, 03:17 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChillFactor
all right, after much deliberation, I've decided to go with the Schintzius.

1 problem - I can't find what number he wore. I know he wore 55 with the Celtics, and I think he wore 24 with another team, but I thought he wore something in the 30's when he was here.

Any help???
He wore 24 here.