News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 04-03-06, 11:06 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Two Spurs on top 25 list

Can be opened by all.
http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_16803.shtml
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-03-06, 11:08 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Do they even check spelling on this website??
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-03-06, 11:15 PM
SpursReport Rookie

hookt awn foniks reely werkt fer mee.
Old 04-03-06, 11:21 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Made a few typos but they should be corrected by now was traveling and did not have access to NBA player name spellings but should have checked a few - believe me some of these names get everyone!

Last edited by PhillyDoc; 04-03-06 at 11:29 PM.
Old 04-04-06, 12:20 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Hey PhillyDoc, I really have to disagree with your selection of LeBron as number 2. He is a fantastic player but a poor defender. If being a poor defender is not important, then put _irk in his place. I like a lot of what LeBron has done to improve his shot, but IMO, he should not be the second best player in the league for this year.

I also don't agree with your choice for number one, but you said no arguments so I won't go any further.

I also think you way undervalued Chauncey (#14). He is the primary reason that Detroit is where they are IMO. He distributes the ball, sets up his teammates, takes shots when necessary ( especially crunch time) and plays pretty decent defense. You've got Artest and Pierce ranked higher than Chauncey which I totally don't understand.

Good info though. Thanks for posting.
Old 04-04-06, 12:28 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Man, they really ignored the spell check feature
Old 04-04-06, 12:37 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyDoc
Duncan 5 Parker 17 ... There is something wrong in this list...
Old 04-04-06, 12:53 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Am I the only person that has gotten tired of endlessly ranking things in top 10s, 25s or 100s?
Old 04-04-06, 01:00 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

no
Old 04-04-06, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLadiesMike
Am I the only person that has gotten tired of endlessly ranking things in top 10s, 25s or 100s?
i'd rank ur post in the top 10

j/k
Old 04-04-06, 03:11 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I don't have a big problem with the list, except for the atrocity of placing Bryant at the top. I can barely even type that without cringing.

Bryant is not the top playerin the NBA by any stretch of the imagination.

Please - look where he has "his team." A few days ago they were at .500. The "best player in the league" should be able to elevate any team to a higher level than that.

What Nash, Wade, LeBron, and Duncan have in common is that they all make their teammates better. Bryant simply doesn't do that. He just puts up numbers.

As for the rest of the list, not bad. I would have Wade at 1, followed by LeBron, Nash, Dirk, Duncan, then AI. So I'm good with Duncan at 5 - what Tim has accomplished with his injury this year is not only remarkable, but heroic. 90% of NBA players would've missed multiple games with that injury. But Tim has gutted it out for the team. And he did the same thing in the Finals last year on two bad ankles. Also, I would defintiely have Billips in the top 10, though, as much as I can't stand him.

Overall -- Good job, Doc.
Old 04-04-06, 03:53 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelito
I don't have a big problem with the list, except for the atrocity of placing Bryant at the top. I can barely even type that without cringing.

Bryant is not the top playerin the NBA by any stretch of the imagination.

Please - look where he has "his team." A few days ago they were at .500. The "best player in the league" should be able to elevate any team to a higher level than that.

What Nash, Wade, LeBron, and Duncan have in common is that they all make their teammates better. Bryant simply doesn't do that. He just puts up numbers.

As for the rest of the list, not bad. I would have Wade at 1, followed by LeBron, Nash, Dirk, Duncan, then AI. So I'm good with Duncan at 5 - what Tim has accomplished with his injury this year is not only remarkable, but heroic. 90% of NBA players would've missed multiple games with that injury. But Tim has gutted it out for the team. And he did the same thing in the Finals last year on two bad ankles. Also, I would defintiely have Billips in the top 10, though, as much as I can't stand him.

Overall -- Good job, Doc.
Just one question, and I swear I won't post in this topic again. Who do Wade and Lebron make better on their team?

"Love me, Feed me, Never leave me" --The one and only Garfield
Old 04-04-06, 05:00 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglakerfan
Just one question, and I swear I won't post in this topic again. Who do Wade and Lebron make better on their team?
exactly what i was thinking, wade has shaq and got posey, williams, walker & payton in the offseason, plus he has zo and haslem, and got anderson this past trade deadline.

lebron got marshall, hughes & jones plus murray at the trade deadline. i say without that talent added, even though hughes has been out how long now, the cavs probably wouldnt have made the playoffs.

this top 25 last didnt make sense, and to me, and many others out there, was totally off.
Old 04-04-06, 05:01 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLadiesMike
No. Are we the only two people that realize such a list means nada, zero and nothing?
Old 04-04-06, 05:54 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Just because this kind of list means nothing doesn't mean that this particular list is not awful.
Old 04-04-06, 08:06 PM
SpursReport Team Member

All a note re Amare Stoudemire has been added on the web site - he is surely a top 12 player when healthy and could be top 5 in a few years if he comes back strong - hope he does.

I will come to the defense of Bryant - he may be selfish, he may have baggage but right now he is the most feared player in the game offensively.

He is also leading a team to a record that many believe is due to him alone. I personally do not like Mr. Bryant but his game speaks for himself.
Old 04-04-06, 08:34 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by msuh24
hookt awn foniks reely werkt fer mee.
Fan of Brian Regan?
Old 04-04-06, 09:02 PM
SpursReport Team Member

"Just because this kind of list means nothing doesn't mean that this particular list is not awful"

Not sure if that is a compliment or a diss - either way, try to make your own. There is no right answer and I can defend this list. Give me the top 12 players and will mop the floor with anyone anytime.
Old 04-04-06, 09:10 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
"Just because this kind of list means nothing doesn't mean that this particular list is not awful"

Not sure if that is a compliment or a diss - either way, try to make your own. There is no right answer and I can defend this list. Give me the top 12 players and will mop the floor with anyone anytime.
Every writer has made a list at one time or another in their career. I have and I'm a part-time writer on the side.
Old 04-04-06, 09:35 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Your list is probably a good one - the toughest IMO is the rankings from about 10-25 - so many good to great players.

My criteria:

1) Impact on game including defense
2) Size is a component of that - in history, bigger and taller players have overall meant winning ball, not that a small player cannot become a force, ala Iverson but James has an automatic advantage everytime out with his size.
3) "Clutchness" part of experience
4) One half year (ala Yao) not enough to move into top ten but he will get there.
Old 04-05-06, 01:22 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:

If you want to be a columnist learn how to write first. Otherwise get back to cleaning the floors.

-J.W.
Old 04-05-06, 06:21 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Dear "J.W."

FYI: I did not write that first statement and with a couple of professional degrees and over a hundred professional publications of various types, I am confident I will never have to mop the floors (unless I want to do so in my leisure) to make a living.

Not that I look down on those that do, so by the way, what type of cleaning fluids do use in your daily work and do you do bathrooms as well?

Regards,

Peter Rumm, MD, MPH, FACPM

Last edited by PhillyDoc; 04-05-06 at 06:24 AM.