News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-02-06, 01:51 AM
Powerslave's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: in Loch Ness with Mahinmi
Posts: 390
best clutch performance of all time?

after careful consideration and lot of time to simmer and marinate, i have concluded that when all factors are considered, robert horry's game 5 performance in the finals last year was in fact the greatest overall clutch performance of all time, even beating out the reggie miller 8 points in 8 seconds for the win over the knicks about a decade ago.
i am fully prepared to rebuttle any arguements to my decision.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-02-06, 01:54 AM
Tamale Hatchet's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Austin
Posts: 622

even though this kills me to say this...but 0.4 was the most clutch thing I've ever witnessed in my life.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-02-06, 01:55 AM
Money4Nothing's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Longview, TX
Posts: 3,283

This is the best homer post of all time!

Yea! LoL!

$
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-02-06, 03:43 AM
okatex's Avatar
SpursReport Rookie
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamale Hatchet
even though this kills me to say this...but 0.4 was the most clutch thing I've ever witnessed in my life.
Why, it was just one lucky shot? In contrast, Horry turned it up a notch when the pressure was on - Clutch. Now I'm not sure about greatest ever, but great for sure.
__________________
TEX IN AZ
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-02-06, 03:45 AM
biglakerfan's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: SA
Posts: 426

I don't know if we're talking about one player or a team overall, but I'd have to say the Lakers 30 point comeback against the Mavs.
__________________

"Love me, Feed me, Never leave me" --The one and only Garfield
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-02-06, 03:48 AM
SoupIsGood's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Lappy Go Hucky
Posts: 2,981

8.9
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-02-06, 04:10 AM
RichB's Avatar
SpursReport Assistant Coach
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: San Antonio,Tx
Posts: 9,288

Jordan steals the ball from Malone in the '98 NBA Finals. The Bulls are down by 1 with seconds left and Jordan makes the steal, comes down and makes a jumpshot to secure the sixth Bulls NBA Title.

1994: Reggie Miller scores 25 points in the 4th quarter to lead the Pacers to a Game 5 ECF win over New York.

The Robert Horry performance was great. Unbelievable.

However, I have a hard time believing it was the greatest performance of the last 12 years, much less the last 60.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-02-06, 05:27 AM
WhiteChocolateJr's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 2,618
NO.

Adjust your homer-glasses for a second.

How many times have we all, as fans, thought "okay...if they just hit a three, steal the inbound and then hit another one - we've got this one!"

Reggie Miller did that against the Knicks.

End of conversation; end of contest.
__________________
Click HERE to see the rest of my "oversized" signature.
"Leadership is diving after loose balls." -Larry Bird
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-02-06, 08:40 AM
TheRoc5's Avatar
SpursReport Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 132

yall are all wrong as much as i dont like to say this the tmac fiasco was the best.but horrys preformance wasa great
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-02-06, 08:42 AM
spurtime's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Back in SA
Posts: 696

I think MJ has the top 5 clutch performances. Horry may crack the top 10, though.
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-02-06, 09:30 AM
VDeal's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,037

Does "Memorial Day Miracle" ring a bell?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-02-06, 09:38 AM
spurtime's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Back in SA
Posts: 696

Early in MJ's career, the way he ripped out Cleveland's heart in several series was a sight to behold. Craig Ehlo falling to the ground in disbelief is still etched into my memory (with a little help from Gatorade).
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-02-06, 09:40 AM
pollackj's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Bethlehem, Palestine
Posts: 380

I think there is a good argument for saying that Horry's performance was the most clutch finals performance, I don't think you can make the argument that it beat out Miller's sustained "clutchness." To be able to score 8 points in 13 seconds, you have to make 3 different shots, you have to be able to get the ball back twice in 13 seconds. Honestly it just boggles the mind.
Horry's performance that game was about more than just the final shot, but it still doesn't compare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurtime
Early in MJ's career, the way he ripped out Cleveland's heart in several series was a sight to behold. Craig Ehlo falling to the ground in disbelief is still etched into my memory (with a little help from Gatorade).
That clip will be forever in my memory because of its inclusion in one of the Michale Jordan videos I had as a kid. I don't remember which vid, but there was one compilation of some of his buzzer beaters and that one played a prominent role in it.
__________________
Go Spurs Go, Jason

Hey Crawford! This is for you!!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-02-06, 10:52 AM
dknights411's Avatar
SpursReport Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 31

As great as Horry's Game 5 performance was, I'd vote for his shot in 2002 that shot Sacto. The franchise has litterally never been the same since that shot.
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-02-06, 10:58 AM
FamousJames's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 3,100

Tracy McGrady did a number in a short period of time.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-02-06, 11:33 AM
bnwhuxley's Avatar
SpursReport Team Captain
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Singapore
Posts: 7,593

Quote:
Originally Posted by dknights411
As great as Horry's Game 5 performance was, I'd vote for his shot in 2002 that shot Sacto. The franchise has litterally never been the same since that shot.
Nope. Horry's 2002 shot was great, but Game 5 was way greater. Not only did he drop that 3, but he carried the Spurs in the 4th quarter and overtime with shot after freaking shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousJames
Tracy McGrady did a number in a short period of time.
8 in 8 seconds is great and had lasting consequences, but 13 in 4 shots, 1 free throw in 35 seconds to overcome a 10 point deficit in a freaking low scoring game, against one of the toughest defenses around, that was a more amazingly clutch performance.
__________________
Whatcha gonna do when Huxamania runs wild on you?!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-02-06, 11:45 AM
Experiment2100's Avatar
SpursReport Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2

Reggie and the stealing
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-02-06, 12:16 PM
Lord Deimos's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: being productive for a change
Posts: 1,893

Quote:
Originally Posted by dknights411
As great as Horry's Game 5 performance was, I'd vote for his shot in 2002 that shot Sacto. The franchise has litterally never been the same since that shot.
The 2002 shot was luck. Not a lucky shot, but lucky that the ball got swatted out to Horry at the top of the arc.

2005 was infinitely more clutch. Rob was unstoppable.
__________________
Are you:
A) Female?
B) Attending UTSA?
Then chances are good that YOU ALMOST FREAKING KILLED ME IN THE PARKING LOT
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-02-06, 12:37 PM
FinickyPete's Avatar
SpursReport Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Deimos
The 2002 shot was luck. Not a lucky shot, but lucky that the ball got swatted out to Horry at the top of the arc.

2005 was infinitely more clutch. Rob was unstoppable.

It helped that for the last shot he was left wide open
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-02-06, 01:02 PM
borderbandit's Avatar
SpursReport Rookie
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinickyPete
It helped that for the last shot he was left wide open
How about Timmy's near quadruple double in game 6 against the Knicks to win the title
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 04-02-06, 01:06 PM
Lord Deimos's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: being productive for a change
Posts: 1,893

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinickyPete
It helped that for the last shot he was left wide open
Which last shot? He was wide open for both. Both were insanely clutch.

But in 2005 he damn near won the game single handedly. It wasn't just the last shot.
__________________
Are you:
A) Female?
B) Attending UTSA?
Then chances are good that YOU ALMOST FREAKING KILLED ME IN THE PARKING LOT
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-02-06, 01:11 PM
FinickyPete's Avatar
SpursReport Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Deimos
Which last shot?
Both of them
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-02-06, 01:55 PM
WhiteChocolateJr's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 2,618

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderbandit
How about Timmy's near quadruple double in game 6 against the Knicks to win the title
I remember this game; it happened right after the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor.
__________________
Click HERE to see the rest of my "oversized" signature.
"Leadership is diving after loose balls." -Larry Bird
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-02-06, 01:57 PM
msuh24's Avatar
SpursReport Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: La Jolla, CA
Posts: 109

jordan stealing the ball from malone and making not only the game winning shot, but the finals winning shot against utah is the most clutch play. that required defense and offense. horry was huge, but it didn't win the whole finals.
__________________
M Suh
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-02-06, 02:23 PM
lounorthside's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 384

Quote:
Originally Posted by dknights411
As great as Horry's Game 5 performance was, I'd vote for his shot in 2002 that shot Sacto. The franchise has litterally never been the same since that shot.
Quote:
Nope. Horry's 2002 shot was great, but Game 5 was way greater. Not only did he drop that 3, but he carried the Spurs in the 4th quarter and overtime with shot after freaking shot.
Without the 02 shot the Lakers don't get to the Finals that year. And that shot finished SECOND to the MJ shot against Cleveland on the 10 greatest playoffs shots of ALL time on NBA.com.

And I agree with the 1st poster. Sacto HAS never been the same after that shot

Lord Demios- One point about his shot- If Manu does not save that ball Robert does not get a chance to make it- the play was for Manu-he saw the double team coming at him and make a risky pass to Rob.
__________________

Last edited by lounorthside; 04-02-06 at 02:44 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04-02-06, 02:41 PM
Powerslave's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: in Loch Ness with Mahinmi
Posts: 390

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglakerfan
I don't know if we're talking about one player or a team overall, but I'd have to say the Lakers 30 point comeback against the Mavs.
when was that? was it in the playoffs even? how important of a game was it? was their season on the line? was the title on the line?
no.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-02-06, 02:42 PM
losman's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: San Antonio, Tx
Posts: 1,949

TMac going TMac on us last season was a regular season game so the impact was not as big....

Biggest Clutch Shots

- Reggie Miller literally ripped the heart and soul out of the Knicks with that Ultra Clutch series of plays.

- Big Shot Rob's 3 was the juice the Spurs needed to win last season

- MJ's late shot against the Jazz is always a great series killer

- Sean Eliotts Memorial Day Miracle was timeless and has more impact considering the health issues he was keeping secret.

- As much as I hate it, Derek Fisher's BS .04 shot was huge and hurt the Spurs in 04
__________________
"LAKERS ARE TOTAL CRAP!!!!"

"You're being rude to me. Don't chain me down with your manners."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-02-06, 02:51 PM
Powerslave's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: in Loch Ness with Mahinmi
Posts: 390

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB
Jordan steals the ball from Malone in the '98 NBA Finals. The Bulls are down by 1 with seconds left and Jordan makes the steal, comes down and makes a jumpshot to secure the sixth Bulls NBA Title.

1994: Reggie Miller scores 25 points in the 4th quarter to lead the Pacers to a Game 5 ECF win over New York.

The Robert Horry performance was great. Unbelievable.

However, I have a hard time believing it was the greatest performance of the last 12 years, much less the last 60.
Quote:
Originally Posted by biglakerfan
I don't know if we're talking about one player or a team overall, but I'd have to say the Lakers 30 point comeback against the Mavs.
1. that was great but it was a single play, and the bulls would have won the title anyway, they were up 3-2.
2. miller is maybe the only player ove seen that could out-clutch horry. i still will give horry the nod since it was the finals instead of the conference finals...but just barely

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteChocolateJr
Adjust your homer-glasses for a second.

How many times have we all, as fans, thought "okay...if they just hit a three, steal the inbound and then hit another one - we've got this one!"

Reggie Miller did that against the Knicks.

End of conversation; end of contest.
until last year i had agreed that that was the most clutch thing id ever seen. i know exactly what you mean. however the game wasnt even on the same level of importance (wasnt it a game 1, semis?) and if starks wouldnt have bricked both his free throws the pacers still would have lost.
i will still consider this the 2nd greatest clutch performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoc5
yall are all wrong as much as i dont like to say this the tmac fiasco was the best.but horrys preformance wasa great
the t-mac thing was unbelieveable but it was a regular-season game. thats all that needs to be said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV
Does "Memorial Day Miracle" ring a bell?
ha, that was good but
1.it was a single shot
2. it was a game one conference finals
3.we SWEPT the blazers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dknights411
As great as Horry's Game 5 performance was, I'd vote for his shot in 2002 that shot Sacto. The franchise has litterally never been the same since that shot.
yes that was great but
1.it was a single shot
2.it was a conference game
3.the ball rolled right into his hands
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-02-06, 02:54 PM
RichB's Avatar
SpursReport Assistant Coach
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: San Antonio,Tx
Posts: 9,288

Jordan in Game 5 against the Jazz (1997) - The "Flu Game".

Michael Jordan has a big scoring game and scores the winning basket with seconds left, that gives the Bulls a 3-2 series lead. Jordan snatched a 3-2 lead from the Jazz. That was simply unbelievable.

Magic Johnson scores 42 points, grabs 15 rebounds and dishes out 7 assists in Game 6 of the NBA Finals. Starting at center (in place of the injured Kareem Abdul Jabbar) and playing forward and guard, a rookie named Magic leads the Lakers to his first NBA Championship.

Again, it may be the greatest clutch performance of the last 12 months or even the last 5 years. But the greatest performnce in 60 years of NBA play? I just don't think so.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-02-06, 02:54 PM
Powerslave's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: in Loch Ness with Mahinmi
Posts: 390

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderbandit
How about Timmy's near quadruple double in game 6 against the Knicks to win the title
that was great but the nets were never a genuine threat to win the title. we would have won the series, likely that game even, even if tim didnt have(almost)a quadruple double.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 04-02-06, 02:59 PM
RichB's Avatar
SpursReport Assistant Coach
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: San Antonio,Tx
Posts: 9,288

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesR
Here's one--Prince blocking Reggie en route to the upset of the Lakers.

oh wait its not in the finals it doesn't count
No, it's ONE PLAY - it doesn't count.

Wait - it's not Robert Horry in a Spurs uniform in Game 5 - it doesn't count.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 04-02-06, 03:02 PM
SoupIsGood's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Lappy Go Hucky
Posts: 2,981

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesR
Here's one--Prince blocking Reggie en route to the upset of the Lakers.
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 04-02-06, 03:08 PM
SoupIsGood's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Lappy Go Hucky
Posts: 2,981

How about Reggie carrying the Pacers on his back last year at age 50.

I know that's not technically what this thread is looking for, but it's probably the one Reggie 'moment' I will remember over all others. I would trade this whole team to have old Reggie and his uncanny determination back.
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 04-02-06, 03:39 PM
Lord Deimos's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: being productive for a change
Posts: 1,893

Quote:
Originally Posted by lounorthside
Lord Demios- One point about his shot- If Manu does not save that ball Robert does not get a chance to make it- the play was for Manu-he saw the double team coming at him and make a risky pass to Rob.
The 2002 shot wasn't designed for Horry either, unless the play involved Vlade Divac batting the ball out toward midcourt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV3nf...robert%20horry

That ball could have ended up anywhere. That is why I say the 2002 win, not the shot itself, was luck. This matters since we're considering overall performance and not just one shot.

BTW in 2005, the obvious thing for Manu to do would be to pass right back to Horry, who was clearly in his line of sight the entire time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55Gci...rry%20game%205


Horry's entire dominant clutch performance can be seen here in all it's clutchy glory:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9lzd...robert%20horry

Both shots were great.

The stakes were the same in both years, if not more so in 05 because it was *dramatic pause* the Finals.

Disclaimer: this is an Horry vs. Horry comparison, not all-time.
__________________
Are you:
A) Female?
B) Attending UTSA?
Then chances are good that YOU ALMOST FREAKING KILLED ME IN THE PARKING LOT
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 04-02-06, 04:40 PM
pollackj's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Bethlehem, Palestine
Posts: 380

Man, I get goosebumps every time I watch that game 5 video.
__________________
Go Spurs Go, Jason

Hey Crawford! This is for you!!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 04-02-06, 05:53 PM
baseline bum's Avatar
SpursReport Team Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: LA
Posts: 5,424

Reggie's performance in the Garden is of course the #1 performance of all-time. That's easily the most shocking thing I've ever seen in an NBA game. Jordan scoring like 45 in game 6 of the 98 Finals while Pippen was a cripple has gotta be #2... especially considering how Stockton hit that three that would have buried any other team in the league with 39 seconds left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslave
1. that was great but it was a single play, and the bulls would have won the title anyway, they were up 3-2.
There is no way the Bulls would have won game 7. Pippen could barely walk and there's no way he could have done anything in a game 7. He would have suited up, but he was unable to do anything after getting hurt on the first play in game 6. When Stockton hit that three to go up 3 on the Bulls in game 6 I thought he had just won them the championship.
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 04-02-06, 06:04 PM
Powerslave's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: in Loch Ness with Mahinmi
Posts: 390

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseline bum
Reggie's performance in the Garden is of course the #1 performance of all-time. That's easily the most shocking thing I've ever seen in an NBA game. Jordan scoring like 45 in game 6 of the 98 Finals while Pippen was a cripple has gotta be #2... especially considering how Stockton hit that three that would have buried any other team in the league with 39 seconds left.



There is no way the Bulls would have won game 7. Pippen could barely walk and there's no way he could have done anything in a game 7. He would have suited up, but he was unable to do anything after getting hurt on the first play in game 6. When Stockton hit that three to go up 3 on the Bulls in game 6 I thought he had just won them the championship.
ha, the jazz were great then, but the bulls were so dominant, there was never any doubt the bulls would win the title.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 04-02-06, 06:32 PM
Alamo Boy's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,611

tmacs come back agaionst us

i think horry is the most clutch player in the last 10 or so years, but there are single performances that beat his out but no one is as consistently clutch as horry
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 04-02-06, 06:33 PM
spurtime's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Back in SA
Posts: 696

Alright I got one...1980, Game 6 of the NBA Finals. Kareem went down with a severe ankle sprain in game 5 and Magic replaced Kareem at the center spot, notching 42 points and 15 rebounds to clinch the series. Clutch.
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 04-02-06, 06:34 PM
Powerslave's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: in Loch Ness with Mahinmi
Posts: 390

let me go over the reasons which explain why last years performance was the best....

when game 5 started, the pistons had all the momentum. we had won the first 2 games, but detroit blew us out in the previous 2. they had the momentum, and at the time it appeared as if the spurs would fold the exact same way they ahd the previous year against the lakers.
game 5 was close, unlike the previous 4 games, and stayed close. the spurs were playing for their lives...if they lost, which was likely since detroit had so much momentum and were still playing on their homecourt, we would have lost the series, no question.
the 3rd quarter was winding down and the spurs were down. it looked like out season was over, the same exact way it was the previous year. we had lost the last 2, we had no momentum, and duncan was sucking it up. end of the 3rd robert horry nails a 3. beginning of the 4th horry nails a 3. suddenly we have a chance to stay alive, but the spur's main guns continue to suck, bricking free throws(remember that?) and shots left and right. still the game is close, going basket for basket on both ends of the floor. it becomes apparent the spurs are not ready to die yet even though their stars appear to have choked.
the 4th quarter starts and our season is winding down....we manage to tie the game due ONLY to robert horry's huge 3 pointers. suddenly the game is going down to the wire, the spurs arent going to die as easily as they did the previous year, thanks to one man, robert horry, the only spur who appears to be playing right now, having come alive in the 4th quarter, doing enough in place of the struggling spurs stars to send the game to overtime.

the pistons had all the momentum going in. if they won this one, the spurs would fold in 6. if the spurs won, they would have to get 2 of 2 in san antonio. it may as well be game 7.

overtime begins, duncan continues to struggle, the spurs are going shot-for-shot with detroit, every possesion crucial to their season and title hopes, but detroit is not wavering. overtime is winding down, the game is again down to the wire. detroit scores, putting pressure on the spurs. in a spectacualr play, aging veteran and role player robert horry-after draining still more 3's to keep the spurs alive- virtually wills himself to the basket for a long,reaching, dramatic dunk which keeps the spurs in the game.
duncan is still struggling.
detroit scores again, as expected.
the spurs come down the court again, everything on the line. they burn off some clock, then go for a shot the shot misses.
robert horry, a 14 year veteran, manages to tip the shot in, miraculously keeping the spurs in the game single-handedly, even when the spurs stars were failing. he grabs rebounds, plays defense like a possessed man, drains shot after miraculous shot to keep the spurs alive in this most imporatnt of games.
the nba finals, where legends are born. robert horry has been here before.
the spurs are down with only seconds left on the clock, knowing if they fail to score their season is over. the ball is thrown in, ginobili gets it, moves, considers, sees rasheed wallace beaing down on him, then catches a glimpse of robert horry open outside and passes the ball off to him. like so many times before, more than anyone not named reggie miller or michael jordan, robert horry finds the game's final word in his hands yet again. he puts up the 3, and drains it, giving the Spurs the lead with seconds left, and ultimately secures the game 5 victory- and therefore the series- against all odds.
all the momentum was with detroit.
we were playing on their homecourt.
we had folded the exact same way the previous year.
our stars were choking.
we were going shot-for-shot with them, every possession being crucial.
an old grizzled veteran, with ****ty numbers, an off-the-bench role player (not an MVP or even an all-star), carries the entire team on his back the entire 4th quarter AND overtime, SINGLE-HANDEDLY sealing the victory BY HIMSELF when all our other options were not converting, including the game-winning 3-pointer, in the decisive game of the NBA FINALS, where both teams were evenly-matched and history and momentum was against us, making not just the game-winning shot but 6-8 crucial shots(and put-backs), all makes, where a single failure to score would have resulted in our ultimate defeat.
best ive ever seen, likely never to be topped.

Last edited by Powerslave; 04-02-06 at 06:44 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 04-02-06, 07:02 PM
BlitzKriegBop's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 441

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslave
let me go over the reasons which explain why last years performance was the best....

when game 5 started, the pistons had all the momentum. we had won the first 2 games, but detroit blew us out in the previous 2. they had the momentum, and at the time it appeared as if the spurs would fold the exact same way they ahd the previous year against the lakers.
game 5 was close, unlike the previous 4 games, and stayed close. the spurs were playing for their lives...if they lost, which was likely since detroit had so much momentum and were still playing on their homecourt, we would have lost the series, no question.
the 3rd quarter was winding down and the spurs were down. it looked like out season was over, the same exact way it was the previous year. we had lost the last 2, we had no momentum, and duncan was sucking it up. end of the 3rd robert horry nails a 3. beginning of the 4th horry nails a 3. suddenly we have a chance to stay alive, but the spur's main guns continue to suck, bricking free throws(remember that?) and shots left and right. still the game is close, going basket for basket on both ends of the floor. it becomes apparent the spurs are not ready to die yet even though their stars appear to have choked.
the 4th quarter starts and our season is winding down....we manage to tie the game due ONLY to robert horry's huge 3 pointers. suddenly the game is going down to the wire, the spurs arent going to die as easily as they did the previous year, thanks to one man, robert horry, the only spur who appears to be playing right now, having come alive in the 4th quarter, doing enough in place of the struggling spurs stars to send the game to overtime.

the pistons had all the momentum going in. if they won this one, the spurs would fold in 6. if the spurs won, they would have to get 2 of 2 in san antonio. it may as well be game 7.

overtime begins, duncan continues to struggle, the spurs are going shot-for-shot with detroit, every possesion crucial to their season and title hopes, but detroit is not wavering. overtime is winding down, the game is again down to the wire. detroit scores, putting pressure on the spurs. in a spectacualr play, aging veteran and role player robert horry-after draining still more 3's to keep the spurs alive- virtually wills himself to the basket for a long,reaching, dramatic dunk which keeps the spurs in the game.
duncan is still struggling.
detroit scores again, as expected.
the spurs come down the court again, everything on the line. they burn off some clock, then go for a shot the shot misses.
robert horry, a 14 year veteran, manages to tip the shot in, miraculously keeping the spurs in the game single-handedly, even when the spurs stars were failing. he grabs rebounds, plays defense like a possessed man, drains shot after miraculous shot to keep the spurs alive in this most imporatnt of games.
the nba finals, where legends are born. robert horry has been here before.
the spurs are down with only seconds left on the clock, knowing if they fail to score their season is over. the ball is thrown in, ginobili gets it, moves, considers, sees rasheed wallace beaing down on him, then catches a glimpse of robert horry open outside and passes the ball off to him. like so many times before, more than anyone not named reggie miller or michael jordan, robert horry finds the game's final word in his hands yet again. he puts up the 3, and drains it, giving the Spurs the lead with seconds left, and ultimately secures the game 5 victory- and therefore the series- against all odds.
all the momentum was with detroit.
we were playing on their homecourt.
we had folded the exact same way the previous year.
our stars were choking.
we were going shot-for-shot with them, every possession being crucial.
an old grizzled veteran, with ****ty numbers, an off-the-bench role player (not an MVP or even an all-star), carries the entire team on his back the entire 4th quarter AND overtime, SINGLE-HANDEDLY sealing the victory BY HIMSELF when all our other options were not converting, including the game-winning 3-pointer, in the decisive game of the NBA FINALS, where both teams were evenly-matched and history and momentum was against us, making not just the game-winning shot but 6-8 crucial shots(and put-backs), all makes, where a single failure to score would have resulted in our ultimate defeat.
best ive ever seen, likely never to be topped.
*tear* that was beautiful man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hantler
the "momentum" argument falls flat because the Spurs lost game 6.
whether you think it gave the spurs momentum or not, if horry misses that shot and detroit wins game 6 we're history.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 04-02-06, 07:18 PM
bnwhuxley's Avatar
SpursReport Team Captain
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Singapore
Posts: 7,593

Can we now finally put down our MJ glasses and acknowledge that he shoved Byron Russell away with his left hand to get wide open for that jumper? Forgive me if I don't consider that clutch. Now the steal was legit.

As great a performance as it was, Reggie's 8 in 8 was really more about the Knicks choking. Even after he nailed that second 3, the score was only tied. Starks missed two FTs, and Ewing grabbed the offensive rebound, but took a shot that missed, and then they fouled Reggie ON THE REBOUND to give him 2 free throws.

TMac's performance was IMO more clutch. 4 threes, one 4 point play, and none of them were easy shots.
__________________
Whatcha gonna do when Huxamania runs wild on you?!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 04-02-06, 11:03 PM
Fundamental9903's Avatar
Play-By-Play Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 1,401

Quote:
Jordan in Game 5 against the Jazz (1997) - The "Flu Game".

Michael Jordan has a big scoring game and scores the winning basket with seconds left, that gives the Bulls a 3-2 series lead. Jordan snatched a 3-2 lead from the Jazz. That was simply unbelievable.


Hands down the best clutch performance I've ever seen from a basketball player. That game, Jordan wasn't human. He was from another planet. Running a temperature of 103. Can't hold any food down. Game 5 of the finals on the Road. And had to be carried off the court by Pippen. That, in my mind, was Jordan's greatest game.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 04-02-06, 11:33 PM
chauphan's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 290

tmac's 13 pts in 35 seconds
__________________
"I was like a kid again when one of your friends on the block has something and you told your mom, 'I want one of those," Michael Finley
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 04-02-06, 11:43 PM
TheLogo's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 717

I cannot believe you guys are missing this!!!???

The clutchest performance in the NBA has to come on the biggest on all stages. What stage out there is bigger than the 4th quarter of game 7 of the NBA finals with the scored tied??!!

Manu Ginobili's unbelieveable play during that 4th quarter against argueably one of the top 10 defenses that this league has EVER seen is easily the greatest clutch performance of all time.

Kudos to Robert Horry, but even if we lost that game we still had another(If you lose a game 7, it is over). Plus, the defense wasn't keyed onto Rob like it was for Manu and Timmy.

Ginobili turned in one of the most incredible performances I have ever witnessed in any sport period that quarter.

-J.W.
__________________
The Logo Knows!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 04-03-06, 12:38 AM
maldoror's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,358

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslave
after careful consideration and lot of time to simmer and marinate, i have concluded that when all factors are considered, robert horry's game 5 performance in the finals last year was in fact the greatest overall clutch performance of all time, even beating out the reggie miller 8 points in 8 seconds for the win over the knicks about a decade ago.
i am fully prepared to rebuttle any arguements to my decision.
Greatest clutch performance of all time is easily Magic Johnson as a rookie, with Kareem out injured in the finals, he carried the team on his back at the age of 20. He started at center in place of the injured Kareem, and playing all five positions in game 6 of the finals ending up with 42 pts 15 boards, 7 assists, 3 steals and his first NBA championship. Nothing Horry, TMac, Jordan, Manu etc have ever done can compare to that performance. Also consider he did this on the road in front of hostile Philadelphia fans. No rookie has ever touched anything like that on the biggest stage and in the biggest game to win a title. That performance was mind-boggling.

Last edited by maldoror; 04-03-06 at 12:51 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 04-03-06, 12:49 AM
Lord Deimos's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: being productive for a change
Posts: 1,893

Quote:
Originally Posted by maldoror
Greatest clutch performance of all time is easily Magic Johnson as a rookie, with Kareem out injured in the finals, he carried the team on his back at the age of 20. He started at center in place of the injured Kareem, and playing all five positions in game 6 of the finals ending up with 42 pts 15 boards, 7 assists, 3 steals and his first NBA championship. Nothing Horry, TMac, Jordan, Manu etc have ever done can compare to that performance. Also consider he did this on the road in front of hostile Philadelphia fans. No rookie has ever touched anything like that in the biggest stage and in the biggest game to win a title. It's mind-boggling.
I never thought of it that way. A point guard stepping up as a center is a unique form of clutch.
__________________
Are you:
A) Female?
B) Attending UTSA?
Then chances are good that YOU ALMOST FREAKING KILLED ME IN THE PARKING LOT
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 04-03-06, 01:24 AM
l=w's Avatar
l=w l=w is offline
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 993

Horry's Game 5 is easily top 10 clutch performances of all time. TMac's bombs and such pale in comparison, despite their greatness, because the game meant so much less.

I'd winnow it down to Horry's performance as Top 3, probably. At least Top 5. You have clutch games from superstars in much-needed circumstances. Isiah with the badly sprained ankle, etc. But a role-player doing everything it took to keep his team in - and then win - during a pivotal Finals game on the road. Scoring almost every basket for that team through the fourth quarter and overtime.

If this were a Knicks, Bulls or Lakers player, we wouldn't be hearing the end of it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 04-03-06, 07:38 AM
spurtime's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Back in SA
Posts: 696

Quote:
Originally Posted by maldoror
Greatest clutch performance of all time is easily Magic Johnson as a rookie, with Kareem out injured in the finals, he carried the team on his back at the age of 20. He started at center in place of the injured Kareem, and playing all five positions in game 6 of the finals ending up with 42 pts 15 boards, 7 assists, 3 steals and his first NBA championship. Nothing Horry, TMac, Jordan, Manu etc have ever done can compare to that performance. Also consider he did this on the road in front of hostile Philadelphia fans. No rookie has ever touched anything like that on the biggest stage and in the biggest game to win a title. That performance was mind-boggling.
I brought it up on this same thread (same page). Very clutch performance.

http://www.spursreport.com/forums/sh...141#post856141
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 04-03-06, 09:14 AM
Dave McNulla's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 2,578

i think the best clutch performance has to be in a more important situation. clutch in preseason isn't the same as clutch in the regular season. clutch in the first series of the playoffs (like gilbert arenas' shot against the bulls after the wizards had melted down) isn't the same as the finals. and clutch in a non-clinching game isn't the same as clutch in a clinching game (although i felt that sean elliot's performance in the 4th quarter of the MDM completely took the steam out of portland).

and you guys seem to forget about clutch performances in the 80's, like bird and magic johnson had, or clutch performances in the 70's, like rick barry and walt frazier (NOT willis reed) had, or clutch performances of the 60's like bill russell had.
__________________
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein - US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Dave McNulla
Spurs Fan

Tweet Me
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.7.4 Copyright © 2000-2008 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0