News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 02-22-06, 06:29 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Possible Spurs roster additions

KSAT 12 (local sports station) announced that the Spurs may be looking at bringing in Latrel Sprewell or Tim Thomas to help get through the Robert Horry injuries.

Nothing mentioned about bringing in Big Dog....
Old 02-22-06, 06:33 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

http://www.spursreport.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=49886 (Spurs notebook: Bulls' Thomas an option as trade deadline looms)

Spree on the other hand.. Ive always heard he wanted nothing to do with carlisamo again..
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-22-06, 07:52 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Spree would be a nice pickup!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-22-06, 07:57 PM
SpursReport Team Starter-Rest In Peace

So is Spree just sitting at home or what?
Old 02-22-06, 08:25 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by timdunkin2000
So is Spree just sitting at home or what?
pretty much.
Old 02-22-06, 09:41 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I would rather have Thomas than Spree.Thomas would be that athletic small foward we really need and hes only 29.
Old 02-22-06, 10:14 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan21
I would rather have Thomas than Spree.Thomas would be that athletic small foward we really need and hes only 29.
I agree..
Old 02-22-06, 10:25 PM
SpursReport Team Member

let's bring Spree because we don't have enough 6'6'' and under swingmen
Old 02-22-06, 11:45 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPURSFAN317
let's bring Spree because we don't have enough 6'6'' and under swingmen
td
tru dat
Old 02-23-06, 12:04 AM
SpursReport Team Member

What's appealing about the Spree deal is the fact he actually has something to play for. If he can come in and contribute, he'll raise his market value, but probalby not NEAR what he was expecting to get in Minny. It's not a situation where he'll want to come in and be a cancer; the stakes are too high for him. Besides, if the Spurs can get him for cheap, why not?

Personally, I'd like to see another big... but that doesn't look like it's going to happen. So... why not grab Spree and see what he can do. Big Dog stepped in last year and contributed. I think there's something left in Sprees tank, and I think he's out to prove he's worth the big contract he was demanding.

IMO, the Spurs have nothing to lose by giving him a shot.
Old 02-23-06, 12:07 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

i really don't see what the point of gettin another old gaurd is ???

i mean if we didn't have some of the players we do, then great. lets do it. but right now, theres finley van excel AND brent barry.... not to mention beno udrih plays great given time to play.

bowen ginobili and parker fill the starting rotation so all those players are backups?
unless spree is gonna bring down some rebounds at the forward or center spot, i just don't get it.

if spree was 7 foot tall, i would...get it. i would get it. but i right now i don't.

it would have been cool to see spree here at some point i guess. but i don't see the fit right now.
Old 02-23-06, 12:15 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spursfan9
i really don't see what the point of gettin another old gaurd is ???

i mean if we didn't have some of the players we do, then great. lets do it. but right now, theres finley van excel AND brent barry.... not to mention beno udrih plays great given time to play.

bowen ginobili and parker fill the starting rotation so all those players are backups?
unless spree is gonna bring down some rebounds at the forward or center spot, i just don't get it.

if spree was 7 foot tall, i would...get it. i would get it. but i right now i don't.

it would have been cool to see spree here at some point i guess. but i don't see the fit right now.
Good points... The Spurs thought NVE and Finely would be their answer off the bench, the same Berry was suppose to be clutch from beyond the arc. But that hasn't happened. Finely has struggled, and NVE has missed games due to injury... Berry has been sporadic, at best. Until our bench gets it together and can play more consistently, I don't have much confidence heading down the stretch. I'm hoping Finely will get hot, and we all want Horry back to his usual self...

On paper the Spurs have the deepest team in the league. But if there was an underachiever awards given out to team benches, the Spurs would be at the front of the line. Spree would be an added clutch veteran brought in as insurance. . . I also like the fact he brings a little swagger with his game. That's always fun to watch.
Old 02-23-06, 12:16 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Pretty much agree with what you guys are saying. If we can bring someone that can truly spell Horry, do it, but IMO there isn't a guy like Horry in this league that's available. Might as well save some money and let Nazr/Rasho/Marks play more minutes.
Old 02-23-06, 12:19 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

how many backup old gaurds do we need until we realize that our best option is a young gun like devin brown???

haah.
Old 02-23-06, 12:21 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
how many backup old gaurds do we need until we realize that our best option is a young gun like devin brown???

haah.
AGREED! I was big on Brown... and before that, Antonio Daniels... I guess NBA guards are a dime-a-dozen in this league.
Old 02-23-06, 12:26 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

^^ i'm not trying to start a devin brown thread or anything else about the guys we have.

but apparently veteran gaurds haven't been doing the trick for us (maybe like terry porter and mario ellie once did).... give it a break.
Old 02-23-06, 02:07 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Bateer!!!!!!!!!! Free Bateer!!

"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at this rock perhaps 100 times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the 101st blow, it will split in two and I know it was not that blow that did it. But all that had gone before." - Jacob Riis
Old 02-23-06, 02:29 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:

haah.
my friend, you hit the nail on the head.
Old 02-23-06, 02:34 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Quote:
^^ i'm not trying to start a devin brown thread or anything else about the guys we have.

but apparently veteran gaurds haven't been doing the trick for us (maybe like terry porter and mario ellie once did).... give it a break.
He did a lot of good being injured last year going into the finals and during the playoffs. Yup, young and healthy...

"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at this rock perhaps 100 times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the 101st blow, it will split in two and I know it was not that blow that did it. But all that had gone before." - Jacob Riis
Old 02-23-06, 04:50 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grego
Bateer!!!!!!!!!! Free Bateer!!
Yeah I wish he was still here!
Old 02-23-06, 09:43 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:

haah.
How many old backup PGs have we had other than Porter? Devin Brown was a PG?
Old 02-23-06, 09:51 AM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grego
He did a lot of good being injured last year going into the finals and during the playoffs. Yup, young and healthy...

..and the year before that as well when he and Willis were screwing
around after a practice. There are several reasons Brown wasn't really wanted back and
the least of them have to do with salary cap money and the opportunity to sign Finley. The Spurs had Evans, Jones and Finley at a higher priority to try attempt to sign over re-signing Brown. That should tell us something.
Old 02-23-06, 10:00 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amente
..and the year before that as well when he and Willis were screwing
around after a practice. There are several reasons Brown wasn't really wanted back and
the least of them have to do with salary cap money and the opportunity to sign Finley. The Spurs had Evans, Jones and Finley at a higher priority to try attempt to sign over re-signing Brown. That should tell us something.
Unfortunately, it will tell some on here nuthin'.
Old 02-23-06, 10:55 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Real
How many old backup PGs have we had other than Porter? Devin Brown was a PG?
what? i said gaurds? think most all of them were gaurds?
Old 02-23-06, 11:17 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
what? i said gaurds? think most all of them were gaurds?
Ahhh...But we were successful even when we had "old" guards.
Old 02-23-06, 11:41 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

You think there is discontent with Finley's shooting? He's Mr. Consistent compared to Sprewell. If management brings in Sprewell I give him 10 games of streaky shooting before we all contribute to the purchase and presentation of a ceremonial bus ticket out of town.

Atleast Finley still has knees.