News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 02-22-06, 02:07 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Francis a Knick?

At what point is subtraction by addition?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2339941
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-22-06, 02:10 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

wow, that doesn't help the Knicks out at all! Francis is not the answer nor is he even part of the solution to their problems....
Old 02-22-06, 02:10 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd98
At what point is subtraction by addition?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2339941
Sounds like another great deal by the Knicks . . . for the team they are trading with.

Hey Crawford! This is for you!!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-22-06, 02:15 PM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

So Penny will end up
where he began?
Old 02-22-06, 02:17 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amente
So Penny will end up
where he began?
yea for 3 months
Old 02-22-06, 02:17 PM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Wasn't Penny part of the group that helped to get B. Hill fired?

All they need now is Shaq to join them.
Old 02-22-06, 02:20 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Whats with Isiah Thomas? He just dug the hole the Knicks are in another 15-20 ft. Davis and Hardaway were both coming off the books at the end of the year, but I guess having Francis and Jalen Ross is best for the team's future. Marburry and Francis will not work at all.
Old 02-22-06, 02:21 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Penny was part of the coup that got B. Hill fired the first time, well reportedly.

But doenst his contract expire after this season. The Magic win in this trade, as does nearly every team that deals with the Knicks.

The Magic are going about it the smart way.

They got Darko for an expiring contract and now have cap-room and they can now build around D. Howard.

They may become major players again, just like they were in the late 90's.

And also, Trevor Ariza has a high upside.
Old 02-22-06, 02:21 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ro_50
Penny was part of the coup that got B. Hill fired the first time, well reportedly.

But doenst his contract expire after this season. The Magic win in this trade, as does nearly every team that deals with the Knicks.

The Magic are going about it the smart way.

They got Darko for an expiring contract and now have cap-room and they can now build around D. Howard.

They may become major players again, just like they were in the late 90's.
I hope that they can build a solid team around "the next David Robinson." Seriously though, have you seen this kid play, he is so freakishly athletic that it has to remind you of either David or Karl Malone.

Hey Crawford! This is for you!!

Old 02-22-06, 02:22 PM
SpursReport Team Member

i feel for isiah...

hahhaha!!!

I bet u his son is laughing
Old 02-22-06, 02:29 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Isaiah won't know how bad the deal is for another three weeks. The only people that could possibly like this deal are the dudes from Dime Magazine. They'll probably rank them the best backcourt in basketball.
Old 02-22-06, 02:32 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollackj
I hope that they can build a solid team around "the next David Robinson." Seriously though, have you seen this kid play, he is so freakishly athletic that it has to remind you of either David or Karl Malone.
I've seen Dwight Howard play and he's a FREAK, simply.

He leads the league in rebounds and when he refines his offensive game, watch out.

They have a franchise caliber player who's humble and maybe, sometime in the future, Darko can provide him w/ help.

And Jameer Nelson, before his recent injury, was settling in nicely at the point.

They have an interesting and compelling mix of young players there and with a lottery pick this year, they can add that shooting guard or another swingman that they are missing.
Old 02-22-06, 02:33 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I bet that all GMS get together and when Isiah turns around they all laugh and mock him. WHy isnt this guy fired? He is doing not just dumb but utterly stupid moves well I dont care I never liked francis so good luck Knicks! haha jk
Old 02-22-06, 02:34 PM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:
Isaiah won't know how bad the deal is for another three weeks. The only people that could possibly like this deal are the dudes from Dime Magazine. They'll probably rank them the best backcourt in basketball.

and we think we have it bad with all the Nazr vs. rasho threads.
Old 02-22-06, 02:36 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
I dont think Isiah will never know about bad this trade is.

He must have selective perception because apparently, he's become the joke of the league.

He took Scott Layden's mess and made it even worse.
Old 02-22-06, 02:38 PM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:
I dont think Isiah will never know about bad this trade is.
He must have selective perception because apparently, he's become the joke of the league.
He took Scott Layden's mess and made it even worse.

Had to believe that some Knick fans probably now wish Layden was still there.
Old 02-22-06, 02:43 PM
SpursReport Team Member

How would it feel to once be considered All-Star material and a few short years later find out that you have been traded for an expiring contract and a no-name player that has hardly touched the floor for the worst team in the league? The karma must really be working against him after all that anti-Parker talk a few years back. I knew Francis was overrated, but I would've never expected this a few years back.
Old 02-22-06, 02:44 PM
SpursReport Team Member

One thing is for sure. They will be selling jerseys.
Isn´t that what is all about?
Old 02-22-06, 02:50 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Oh man! I'm going to make a point to watch Knicks games now. Have two teammates ever got in a fistfight over the ball before???
Old 02-22-06, 02:51 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

This will be the comedy team of the year now. I can't wait too watch Larry Brown suffer a meltdown having to deal with Francis and Marbury. Marbury and Francis they have the potential to be the leagues most volataile backcourt and I mean both talent wise and chemistry wise. Its going to be fun to watch these guys tear each other up.
Old 02-22-06, 02:52 PM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDeeds
Oh man! I'm going to make a point to watch Knicks games now. Have two teammates ever got in a fistfight over the ball before???

Old 02-22-06, 02:53 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

I'm at a loss.

Is there a more inept person running a professional sports franchise?

Any sports franchise?

I challenge anyone to find someone who is worse than this idiot.

Francis for Hardaway/Ariza.

It's no secret Orlando was wanting to dump him - but what does that say about Francis when this is the best deal offered to the Magic? Does Isiah not see this?

This supposed All Star, supposed "Franchise" player can't bring Orlando anything better than Penny Hardaway and Trevor Ariza? What does that tell you about the value of this guy, Isiah?

Ubelievable.

Perhaps the worst move he's ever made and that's saying quite a bit.
Old 02-22-06, 03:04 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Isiah Thomas should be voted as the entertainer of this decade.
Old 02-22-06, 03:06 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I can't wait for the play-by-play of an upcoming game:

"Bucks 96, Knicks 95, 21 seconds left - the MSG crowd is on it's feet! The Knicks look to inbound, and they do to Francis. They're gonna clearout for him at the top of the arc. Francis keeps the dribble there - here comes a double-team, ten seconds! Francis retreats, here comes a third defender, Frye is wide open under the basket, three seconds - Francis dribbles to his left, fires a blind left-handed scoop shot, buzzer sounds - the ball hits Spike Lee right in the face! Bucks win, 96-95!"
Old 02-22-06, 03:08 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

wow

maybe we can get the knicks to PAY malik rose, but let him play for san antonio?

buy out his contract and cut him? spurs sign him for min?
i think they want nick van excel, they need some depth at gaurd.

orlando is gonna be pimped out man

Darko is gonna THRIVE~!
Old 02-22-06, 03:08 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB
I'm at a loss.

Any sports franchise?
Well I will counter one name in a Professional sport, albeit, hardly anyone knows about it.

Its in the NWFA (National Womens Football Association).

The team is now known as West Michigan Mayhem, but when I was covering the team last year, they were known as the Southwest Michigan Jaguars.

The girls on the team dont get paid and its exciting to watch. They've been in existence for now five years, but their owner for the team's first four year, Pam McQueer, was a question mark at best.

First off, she reportedly didnt pay the fees required to run the team to the commissioner's office for two years straight.

The commish even offered to have her on a installment plan, with a little interest. But they never got the money, a war of words ensued between the two, Ms. McQueer and the commish.

Ms. McQueer alledged that the league was out to get her for many reasons and the commish told me on the record, "she was a Bi*ch."

The commish finally took control of the team last summer after she had many chances to pay.

And with talking with players on the team, they said she had the money to provide bus trips to the away games but they always had to travel with others in cars to away games and she was cheap.

So albeit this is not a much lesser level than Isiah, she pratically ran her franchise to the ground.

When I always interviewed her, she would refer to herself in the third person and always put herself in the spotlight than team, which were made up some of the greatest people I've encountered in my short sports writing career.
Old 02-22-06, 03:09 PM

I appreciate the story ro - but it doesn't make me feel any better.

Thanks though.
Old 02-22-06, 03:13 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Hahaha,

thanks RichB.

Isiah is perhaps the biggest idiot to ever run a sports team.

I'm trying right now to think of others who were as clueless.
Old 02-22-06, 03:15 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Hahaha,

thanks RichB.

Isiah is perhaps the biggest idiot to ever run a sports team.

I'm trying right now to think of others who were as clueless.
Donald Sterling? Owner of the Clippers?
Old 02-22-06, 03:18 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Ted Stepien, Cleveland Cavaliers?
Old 02-22-06, 03:21 PM
SpursReport Team Member

That whole "Stevie Franchise" thing is starting loose it's luster!
Old 02-22-06, 03:24 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

JTD
it was never Stevie Franchise... that was a typo. they forgot the "S" at hte end of franchise.

its Stevie Franchises... very Plural. as in the many franchises that stevie will be traded too and play in.
Old 02-22-06, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurs 2-0, Rockets 2-2, Jazz 0-2
Ted Stepien, Cleveland Cavaliers?
That is probably the only reasonable comparrison.
Old 02-22-06, 03:36 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Karma for pulling the crap he did when he was drafted.
Old 02-22-06, 03:43 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpurInDallas
Technically Dons the owner, not the GM. I think Elgin Baylor is the GM.

Clips have created alot more with alot less $$ of late.
Old 02-22-06, 03:48 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Karma for pulling the crap he did when he was drafted.
couldnt have said it better myself...
Old 02-22-06, 03:49 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
I'm at a loss.
Any sports franchise?
I challenge anyone to find someone who is worse than this idiot.
Easy.........................Jerry Krause "Franchises win championships not players"

I think I understand what Isiah is trying to do. First off, to me it seems like he is trying to continue to be the Yankee's even though they have put a salary cap on the league. Think about it, if Penny's contract ends, and that 15,750,000 comes off the books, how will that make them better? It doesn't at all, and doesn't give them room to sign another player since they are so far over the cap. Ariza will also be a free agent at the end of the season, so there were no promises they could have kept him either.

What he did was trade a guy he's been trying to unload for a few years now, and who at the end of the season would be worthless to him since he obviously isn't trying to cut cost. But by getting Francis he has given himself 3 more years, and 48.5 million more to play with and possibly trade later on. Now while I don't think this makes sense or is the way to run a team, I do believe that Isiah is only worried about having as many players making as much money as possible so that he can continue to keep trading expiring overbloated contracts for players with a few more years and overbloated contracts as well.

So he's found a way to continue to have a 100+ million salary a year, while other teams have salary caps around 50 million, although this hasn't helped them much, I truly believe that is why he is doing it. He must think at some point he's going to get the right overpaid group together and make a run. Good Luck

And Marbury and Francis are both similar players. PG who play more like SG's and the complete opposite of what Brown would like to have running his team. No way they don't move one of them within a year.
Old 02-22-06, 03:51 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

So its official, Steve Francis for Penny Hardaway & Trevor Ariza.

(just in case anyone hasnt noticed)

edit: NVM, thought this was another thread.

Last edited by SCdac; 02-22-06 at 03:55 PM.
Old 02-22-06, 03:52 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Wow...i'm at a loss for words...wow...it's like Lisa Marie Presley marrying Michael Jackson...it's baffling and messed up beyond any human understanding...
Old 02-22-06, 03:58 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

It's hard to put all the blame on Isiah (though is the main one responsible.) But didn't Larry Brown have some input on who he wanted to try and get?
Old 02-22-06, 04:00 PM

Quote:
The thing with Sterling was he almost always drafted decent/good players, but then never wanted to pay them.

So he was regarded as extremely cheap, and he seemed to care more about making a profit than having a winning team.

However, unlike the Knicks - he could have built a winning team in LA in no time - if he actually cared about paying the players and paying a good coach.

The Knicks don't care how much they spend - they just want to win. Unfortunately, they're bringing in one disaster of a contract after another and sending the Knicks into salary cap hell.

My thought is: if these guys suck NOW - how good do you think this team will be when they're 3 years older and their salaries are even bigger?

Whose going to want Stephon Marbury ( a talented player, but never proven to be more than selfish and a loser) when he's 30-31 years old and making $19 Million a year?

In 2009, the Knicks will have to pay Steve Francis $17 Million. He'll be 32 at that point. Does anyone think he'll be worth $7 Milion at that point, let alone 17??

Hardaway and Ariza both had contracts due to expire. Why not just let them walk?

You've won 15 games.

Does this team have some magical 26-4 run inside them? Because that only brings them back to .500!

You're paying $124 Million this season for a team that may not win 30 games.

How much better is a never done nothing guard like Steve Francis going to make the Knicks?

Letting the 2 Knicks walk clears $16 Million off your books this summer. Instead you trade for Francis and add $48 Million to your payroll for the next 3 years???

That is a solution????

This team isn't going anywhere with or without a Steve Francis.
Old 02-22-06, 04:00 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernatural Anesthetist
Technically Dons the owner, not the GM. I think Elgin Baylor is the GM.

Clips have created alot more with alot less $$ of late.
Thats right. My bad.
Old 02-22-06, 04:03 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I love Orlando, and I'm pleased about this move, although I would for them to have gotten more for Francis.

Ariza is a nice player, and the cap relief will be great. Orlando is a place where free agents will go, and that bodes well with all their young talent. This deal is much better than the rumor last night where Orlando would get Jamal Crawford and Mo Taylor.

Does anyone see the similarities with the Spurs? Building around a quiet, humble, and super-talented young big man?

Now Orlando can go out and get a top shooting guard this summer.
Old 02-22-06, 04:04 PM

So does this put the Knicks in the Billion dollar salary scale? I mean, I lost track of how much money these guys are over the cap. It's gotta be close to a billion. Just kidding, but if Thomas gets a couple of more years, who knows?
Old 02-22-06, 04:08 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Its official: The New York Knicks are the purgatory of basketball.
Old 02-22-06, 04:12 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurs 2-0, Rockets 2-2, Jazz 0-2
I can't wait for the play-by-play of an upcoming game:

"Bucks 96, Knicks 95, 21 seconds left - the MSG crowd is on it's feet! The Knicks look to inbound, and they do to Francis. They're gonna clearout for him at the top of the arc. Francis keeps the dribble there - here comes a double-team, ten seconds! Francis retreats, here comes a third defender, Frye is wide open under the basket, three seconds - Francis dribbles to his left, fires a blind left-handed scoop shot, buzzer sounds - the ball hits Spike Lee right in the face! Bucks win, 96-95!"
I so remember when he dribbled for 13 seconds straight against us and jacked up a horrible shot. The look on JVG's face was priceless.
Old 02-22-06, 04:20 PM

Knicks Payroll Including Steve Francis

2006: $126 Million

2007: $125 Million

2008: $65 Million

2009: $63 Million

These figures take into account the Francis salary and all the players either currently on the roster or currently on the payroll but not on the team (Shandon Anderson, Jerome Williams).

These figures are all WITHOUT signing any free agents for the next 3 years or retaining any of their own free agents (Channing Frye, Nate Robinson, David Lee) or any extension given to Eddy Curry.

I think you know where you can put that ball Isiah!
Old 02-22-06, 04:21 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraBC
I so remember when he dribbled for 13 seconds straight against us and jacked up a horrible shot. The look on JVG's face was priceless.
Those were the days - Francis on the Rockets roster guaranteed at least 3 wins a season.
Old 02-22-06, 04:23 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Larry Brown is puking his lunch as we speak.

Can't play the right way when Crawford, Starbury, and Franchise are playing paper, scissors, rock to see who gets the ball.

And they won't get many chances because they have too many undersized power forwards who can't rebound.

"Bring it"
Old 02-22-06, 04:24 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Wow, the more and more I think about this, the more it blows my mind. Does Zeke have a personal vendetta against the Knicks from his playing days? After this season he walks with the team in shambles, with him having the last laugh???