News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-20-06, 12:51 PM
biglakerfan's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: SA
Posts: 426
Kobe Bryant Gets Nice Consolation Prize

SORRY, another Kobe Bryant thread, but I thought it was worth it.
---------
Kobe Bryant had a nice consolation prize waiting in the locker room after his West team lost to the East 122-120 in the NBA All-Star game on Sunday night.

Rayshawn Bright, a 7-year-old Hurricane Katrina victim whom Bryant has befriended, was sitting at his locker with a gift.

He gave him a stuffed raccoon with gold, purple and green Mardi Gras beads hanging from his neck.

"I love Kobe," Bright said. "He's tall and he gives me a call sometimes."

Bryant and Bright met in September when the Los Angeles Lakers star was in Houston for a Katrina relief charity game and have been friends since.

"He's my man here," said Bryant, who finished with eight points and eight assists on Sunday. "Every time I'm in Houston he comes out and checks out the game and I hook him up with stuff."

Bryant's face lit up when he saw the boy and the two exchanged a high five and he handed him some armbands and other goodies before the star faced the throng of reporters also waiting for him.

LINK

__________________

"Love me, Feed me, Never leave me" --The one and only Garfield
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-20-06, 12:57 PM
To be named later's Avatar
SpursReport Team Captain
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 6,778

Good for Kobe. It sounds like this is the little kid that TNT showed hanging out w/ Kobe?

(although I have to admit I was initially a little taken aback with how touchy feely huggy Kobe was)

Last edited by To be named later; 02-20-06 at 01:02 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-20-06, 01:01 PM
dknights411's Avatar
SpursReport Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 31

Holy crap! This is making me start to actually LIKE Kobe!!! MAKE IT STOP!!!
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-20-06, 01:13 PM
ProjectGSX's Avatar
SpursReport Assistant Coach
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 10,873

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesR
Good for Kobe. I know that a lot of people are going to come in this thread bashing him, but the guy has made that kids life a little brighter by what he has done and will continue to do.
Yep. Doesnt matter what your intentions are. That kids life is still better as a result.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-20-06, 01:16 PM
Captain_Obvious's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 291

I think its not bad, but something says michael jackson all over it. Just if it were jacko it would be weird...you know?

But if you look at the intention it really is great to see.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-20-06, 01:20 PM
Lord Deimos's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: being productive for a change
Posts: 1,893

Quote:
Originally Posted by To be named later
Good for Kobe. It sounds like this is the little kid that TNT showed hanging out w/ Kobe?

(although I have to admit I was initially a little taken aback with how touchy feely huggy Kobe was)
I'm more worried about him being huggy grabby with our point guard
__________________
Are you:
A) Female?
B) Attending UTSA?
Then chances are good that YOU ALMOST FREAKING KILLED ME IN THE PARKING LOT
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-20-06, 01:31 PM
bo spur's Avatar
SpursReport Team Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Austin
Posts: 5,775

Kobe makes the Child's life better, and gives him the best friend a kid could have.

Child help's repair the reputation Kobe lost after allegedely rapping a teenager.

Its a win win situation for both of them. I still don't like Kobe though
__________________

Last edited by bo spur; 02-20-06 at 01:37 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-20-06, 02:29 PM
Robinson50's Avatar
SpursReport Team Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,098

Sry but almost all NBA players do this kind of things nowadays, nothing to brag about Lakers fan.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-20-06, 02:31 PM
Manu_Tres's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Saxet, Oinotna Nas
Posts: 498

wow...

Nice story... Good for Kobe....bad for the boy when he gets a girlfriend..
__________________
*** Your Ad Here ***
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-20-06, 02:31 PM
MomBear's Avatar
MomBear
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Deimos
I'm more worried about him being huggy grabby with our point guard
Good for Kobe but keep your mits off Tony...

Naw that was great of Kobe...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-20-06, 03:05 PM
Jason R's Avatar
SpursReport Team Captain
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 6,767

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinson50
Sry but almost all NBA players do this kind of things nowadays, nothing to brag about Lakers fan.
I don't think he bragged at all.

And if many people perform an act of kindness, does that reduce the meaning of the kindness in the eyes of those that receive the act?
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-20-06, 03:15 PM
bonnington's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Bs As
Posts: 5,712

Nice of him.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-20-06, 04:56 PM
bo spur's Avatar
SpursReport Team Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Austin
Posts: 5,775

If someone is supposedly only doing something because they just care so much, is there a need to bring a camera crew along every time? Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of why people usually do these types of things?

Should everyone say "Awe, what a great guy he is" if it seems that he is doing it more for himself and his image then for the child who has had a tragic young life?

It’s kind of like that commercial of the Tobacco Company. The one where they say that they donated 100,000 dollars to a certain organization then spent 2 million promoting the fact that they did it.
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-20-06, 06:00 PM
maldoror's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,356

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinson50
Sry but almost all NBA players do this kind of things nowadays, nothing to brag about Lakers fan.
Except Kobe is doing more than most players in this case. Kobe has taken a special interest in this kid and is giving him a lot more of his time and attention than most players do. The kid says Kobe continues to call him after their intial visit etc. One of the reasons Kobe is getting so much attention for this is he's a marquee player AND he has taken on a big-brother kind of role with this kid. This is unlike most players who will visit a kid once for "NBA public service", sign an autograph and that's it. Most players don't continue to maintain the relationship after the initial visit like Kobe is doing. He definately deserves some props for that.

Last edited by maldoror; 02-20-06 at 06:07 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-20-06, 06:21 PM
To be named later's Avatar
SpursReport Team Captain
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 6,778

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo spur
If someone is supposedly only doing something because they just care so much, is there a need to bring a camera crew along every time? Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of why people usually do these types of things?

Should everyone say "Awe, what a great guy he is" if it seems that he is doing it more for himself and his image then for the child who has had a tragic young life?

It’s kind of like that commercial of the Tobacco Company. The one where they say that they donated 100,000 dollars to a certain organization then spent 2 million promoting the fact that they did it.
Does your complaint apply to David Robinson, Tim Duncan, and Bruce Bowen, when they have cameras at their charitable events? Does their having cameras along defeat the sincerity as well?

If Tony Parker had befriended some kid and the cameras followed them around, would we be doubting Tony's sincerity?

Kobe has been to Houston twice since the katrina game, and the cameras only followed Kobe once......what does that tell you?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-20-06, 06:26 PM
RichB's Avatar
SpursReport Assistant Coach
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: San Antonio,Tx
Posts: 9,288

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Obvious
I think its not bad, but something says michael jackson all over it. Just if it were jacko it would be weird...you know?

But if you look at the intention it really is great to see.
NOTHING says Wacko Jacko about this relationship.

If you had seen Kobe with this kid back in September and in the peice TNT aired this weekend about their reunion, it was very 'Big Brother-Lil Brother' or almost like a 'Father-Son' connection between the two. It was nice to see.

I'm no fan of Kobe by any stretch - but if he affects this boys life in a positive way (and he apparantly has) - I think he should be applauded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesR
Some people can't come to terms with that fact that Kobe is doing a good thing.
And some people never will.

I look at this kid and I look at Kobe and I don't think about Spurs/Lakers, and I don't think about anything else related to sports.

I think about Kobe doing a nice thing by continuing to reach out to this kid.

Lakers hate or Kobe hate has nothing to do with this - sports is really meaningless after all.

Seeing this boy laugh as he and Kobe joked around - that's much more meaningful to me than any sport.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-21-06, 12:07 AM
timm's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 385

Quote:
Originally Posted by To be named later
Kobe has been to Houston twice since the katrina game, and the cameras only followed Kobe once......what does that tell you?
ummmm. dunno. maybe he has some hot chick in the woodlands that knows how to keep her mouth shut? (or maybe the other way round, i get soooo confused..)

but, to your point - kobe has to rebuild his image, and yes, it feels staged and fake to me. i'm sure he has a heart, and he's humbled. however, a jersey here and there don't get it done for me.

you simply cannot compare DR's public service record to Kobe's, nor any of the other Spur's that were mentioned. thats a flagrent 2.

kobe's missing something in his life, and he knows it, but he needs that hole, that anger, to drive him. i think, much later in life, long after he retires, he will be able to look back on it and wonder why he never took the time to enjoy the ride, and share it with more than one or two, here and there.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-21-06, 12:12 AM
RichB's Avatar
SpursReport Assistant Coach
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: San Antonio,Tx
Posts: 9,288

Nobody said anything about how Kobe compares to David Robinson OK?

We're just giving the guy a bit of props for doing a nice thing.

No one is nominating him for sainthood for crying out loud.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-21-06, 12:14 AM
MomBear's Avatar
MomBear
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

When some men have children they become a little less selfish... I think this little Boy just pulled at Kobe's heartstrings and Kobe responded like any other human would. Nice story.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-21-06, 01:58 AM
dreadlocd's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinson50
Sry but almost all NBA players do this kind of things nowadays, nothing to brag about Lakers fan.
yea DRob you were great with the community
__________________
If you arent fired with enthusiasm.... then you will be fired with enthusiasm!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-21-06, 09:34 AM
bo spur's Avatar
SpursReport Team Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Austin
Posts: 5,775

Again, its a great thing for the kid, he doesn't know or care why Kobe is doing it.

But I'm sorry if it looks like just another stage for Kobe to show that he does care about other people and kids, that he doesn't just want to hook up with teenage girls (possibly rape) and cheat on his wife in his spare time. Kobe is the biggest spoiled brat in the NBA, and I'm sorry if I don't thing he's that great of a guy, because I don't and probably never will.

I know I'm not alone as far as Kobe goes, I'm not the only one who thinks he is doing this much more for himself then for that child. I just get sick of the NBA trying to make Kobe seem like some kind of saint by shoving this stuff down your throat, when not too long ago he was paying a teenager he allegedly raped to get the hell out of his life.

As far as comparing Drob do Kobe.
Give me a break. Drob has been doing his thing his entire career, it didn't take him allegedly rapping a teenage girl to suddenly turn him in to a nice guy who all of a sudden gives a sh!t, he is who he is and always has been that way. When Robinson does something I truly believe that its becuase he truly cares and is doing it for the people, he's been out of the public eye and he's still doing now what he was doing then.
When Robinson did do something they would air it in San Antonio and once in a while they would air something he's done nationaly, with Kobe every single thing the guy does is aired Nationally becuase the NBA is trying to repair his image just as much as he is.

If you want to make yourself beilieve Kobe is only doing these type of things for the people he's doing them for and not himself, be my guest. But don't expect everyone to share that feeling. Kobe is the spoiled brat type who has always seemed to get his way, even when he wanted to be the top gun after winning 3 championships as a side kick, and those types of people rarely do something for someone unless they are getting something in return, and that exactly how I see this situation.
__________________

Last edited by bo spur; 02-21-06 at 09:37 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-21-06, 10:33 AM
SpurInDallas's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,883

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesR
Tell me how this feels staged and fake and how you think that Kobe isn't doing this because he genuenly cares for this kid.

Next people will tell me that KG didn't really care when he donated the money to build 10 houses for people.
C'mon James. For all the crap he has done for the Lakers and for his selfish self, how can you expect people to question how genuine Kobe is really being. Seems like Page Ranking moves to me.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-21-06, 10:36 AM
SpurInDallas's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,883

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesR
Because I HAVE to believe that people can and do change. I've seen it with my own eyes, someone that is known to be a Page Ranking!ck that truly changes and no one believes it.

Besides, either way, Kobe is doing a good thing for this kid. Period.
I do agree with this statement. The kid will always remember this.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-21-06, 11:37 AM
Buzzsaw's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 2,805

The basket that Kobe made near the end of the all-star game when he went through his legs and faded away and hit it was a sight to behold. Simply amazing. Who else could make a shot like that?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-21-06, 12:01 PM
biglakerfan's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: SA
Posts: 426

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo spur
Again, its a great thing for the kid, he doesn't know or care why Kobe is doing it.

But I'm sorry if it looks like just another stage for Kobe to show that he does care about other people and kids, that he doesn't just want to hook up with teenage girls (possibly rape) and cheat on his wife in his spare time. Kobe is the biggest spoiled brat in the NBA, and I'm sorry if I don't thing he's that great of a guy, because I don't and probably never will.

I know I'm not alone as far as Kobe goes, I'm not the only one who thinks he is doing this much more for himself then for that child. I just get sick of the NBA trying to make Kobe seem like some kind of saint by shoving this stuff down your throat, when not too long ago he was paying a teenager he allegedly raped to get the hell out of his life.

As far as comparing Drob do Kobe.
Give me a break. Drob has been doing his thing his entire career, it didn't take him allegedly rapping a teenage girl to suddenly turn him in to a nice guy who all of a sudden gives a sh!t, he is who he is and always has been that way. When Robinson does something I truly believe that its becuase he truly cares and is doing it for the people, he's been out of the public eye and he's still doing now what he was doing then.
When Robinson did do something they would air it in San Antonio and once in a while they would air something he's done nationaly, with Kobe every single thing the guy does is aired Nationally becuase the NBA is trying to repair his image just as much as he is.

If you want to make yourself beilieve Kobe is only doing these type of things for the people he's doing them for and not himself, be my guest. But don't expect everyone to share that feeling. Kobe is the spoiled brat type who has always seemed to get his way, even when he wanted to be the top gun after winning 3 championships as a side kick, and those types of people rarely do something for someone unless they are getting something in return, and that exactly how I see this situation.
I wasn't going to reply to this thread but after reading your moronic post, I need to.

Can you PLEASE explain to me how everything Kobe does is 'aired Nationally'???? That is NOT true, just because you hear a couple things you think thats ALL he does? You're way off, you NEVER hear about Kobe doing things for charity other then this kid. Since you say everything he does is 'aired Nationally' can you please tell me what was the last thing that was aired nationally before this kid? I personally don't care what the **** you think of him but for you to say everything he does is 'aired nationally' thats just being stupid.
__________________

"Love me, Feed me, Never leave me" --The one and only Garfield
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-21-06, 12:05 PM
RichB's Avatar
SpursReport Assistant Coach
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: San Antonio,Tx
Posts: 9,288

People have nothing better to do but hate on Kobe Bryant 24/7.

For any reason.

Sad.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-21-06, 01:39 PM
Flipmode Master's Avatar
The Chosen One(Moderator)
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Batcave in Savannah
Posts: 5,928

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB
People have nothing better to do but hate on Kobe Bryant 24/7.

For any reason.

Sad.

Agreed...I mean Kobe wife has forgiven him....Phil Jackson has forgiven...hec........EVEN SHAQ HAS FORGIVEN HIM...but people on this forum can let stuff go... , so they turn anything positive about dude into something negative and thats just wrong.
__________________

I'm Batman's cousin
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-21-06, 03:30 PM
timm's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 385

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB
People have nothing better to do but hate on Kobe Bryant 24/7.

For any reason.

Sad.
welll, now that's not true. i have to find some time during the day to hate on jason them are MY french fries how do you like the way the back of my hand tastes, kidd! too.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-21-06, 04:00 PM
curiousspirit's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: under the radar
Posts: 3,614

I do not presume to know what Kobe thinks or doesn't think, why he does what he does, but I do believe that people can and do change. I don't know if he has and really don't care. But his relationship with this kid seems real and that is enough for me to say "Kudos to you Kobe".
__________________
It is what it is -- Bruce Bowen
When everyone thinks alike, no one thinks.-- Bill Walton
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-21-06, 04:52 PM
bo spur's Avatar
SpursReport Team Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Austin
Posts: 5,775

Give me a break Lakers fan. Ever since Kobe cheated on his wife with that teenager who I'm not totally convinced the he didn't rape in some type of way, his punk azz has been on national TV all the damn time. Every time I watch a game on ESPN, TNT, or ABC, Kobe gets involved in the conversation some how even though the Lakers aren't playing, and half the time it has nothing to do with basketball. Excuse me for being sick of Kobe Bryant, who I consider a huge spoiled brat. But I love to hate the guy, just like he says in his commercial.

It isn't all his fault though, if it weren't for Stern and the NBA trying to shove him down our throats all the damn time it probably wouldn't be so bad. But similar to Kobe, Stern want's to fix his image because that means more money with more endorsements for the both of them. You remember the one's Kobe lost when all that crap went down, and the ones he gotten back after paying the teenager to shut the hell up.

And as far as the NBA and the hurricane victims, I wouldn't be surprised if Stern didn't spend as much money on all the damn commercials he airs about the NBA helping the victims as they have actually spent helping them out. When you spend as much money on telling everyone what a great thing you did, as you did in actually helping them out, it starts to lose its luster to me. It's great that Kobe and the NBA has done what they have, but it would be better if they put more effort into actually continueing to help them, then spending it telling everyone what they have done.

I'm not going to sit here and tell you I don't hate Kobe, because I do, with a passion. I've never been able to stand his azz ever since he was a spoiled skinny rookie jacking up 2 shots for every minute he played. And being that this is a Spurs site, your going to find more like me, but maybe they just don't speak there mind as much, something I've never had a problem doing
If you want to hear about how much of a God Kobe is, maybe you should go post on LG.net.
Because I can garanutee you that if I was on a Lakers board posting every damn article ever written about Tim or Dave, which wouldn't be many, there would be plenty of haters talking a bunch of crap.

And for those of you who don't think Kobe has been trying to repair his image over the past few years, and that he truly doesn't care about his image or the endorsements he can get from them, and only is doing this for everyone else, keep kidding yourself.
__________________

Last edited by bo spur; 02-21-06 at 04:56 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 02-21-06, 05:01 PM
Buzzsaw's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 2,805

I agree. Get off the guy. At the end of the day, Kobe and all of these other guys are just basketball players. Kobe has done some nice things and a few dunderheaded things. So have the rest of us.

I liked knocking them out of the playoffs too, but it's just a stupid basketball game. A diversion.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 02-21-06, 05:01 PM
curiousspirit's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: under the radar
Posts: 3,614

bo spur, be careful who you are calling a laker fan. I will give props to whom ever I please. I think Kobe has done a good thing for this kid. But to assume I am a laker fan because of that, well, you do know what happens when you "assume" anything.
__________________
It is what it is -- Bruce Bowen
When everyone thinks alike, no one thinks.-- Bill Walton
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 02-21-06, 05:10 PM
bo spur's Avatar
SpursReport Team Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Austin
Posts: 5,775

Quote:
bo spur, be careful who you are calling a laker fan. I will give props to whom ever I please. I think Kobe has done a good thing for this kid. But to assume I am a laker fan because of that, well, you do know what happens when you "assume" anything.
WTF? the poster I was posting that for calls himself big laker fan!
I wasn't refering to you at all...........

I could be totally wrong about Kobe, he could actually care about other people, but then I couldn't hate him as much so I'll stick with my opinion. Which is only an opinion, and I'm sure Kobe doesn't give a sh!t what I think about him, becuase I know I really don't care what people think about me.
__________________

Last edited by bo spur; 02-21-06 at 05:12 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 02-21-06, 05:19 PM
To be named later's Avatar
SpursReport Team Captain
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 6,778

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo spur
WTF? the poster I was posting that for calls himself big laker fan!
I wasn't refering to you at all...........

I could be totally wrong about Kobe, he could actually care about other people, but then I couldn't hate him as much so I'll stick with my opinion. Which is only an opinion, and I'm sure Kobe doesn't give a sh!t what I think about him, becuase I know I really don't care what people think about me.
But again......Bruce Bowen, Tim Duncan, David Robinson have all had cameras present when they've done good things.

And sometimes those things have been "produced" by Stern, such as Parker going to Africa with Dikembe, etc etc.

If Kobe's charity is hollow because cameras are present.....then could not the same be said about Tim, David, Bruce, etc?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 02-21-06, 05:23 PM
SCdac's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,080

Kobe is such an angel. Maybe he can be the next Pope.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 02-21-06, 05:45 PM
curiousspirit's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: under the radar
Posts: 3,614

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo spur
WTF? the poster I was posting that for calls himself big laker fan!
I wasn't refering to you at all...........

I could be totally wrong about Kobe, he could actually care about other people, but then I couldn't hate him as much so I'll stick with my opinion. Which is only an opinion, and I'm sure Kobe doesn't give a sh!t what I think about him, becuase I know I really don't care what people think about me.
You posted right after me and I was responding to that. Okay, you've cleared up the confusion.
__________________
It is what it is -- Bruce Bowen
When everyone thinks alike, no one thinks.-- Bill Walton
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 02-22-06, 01:52 AM
timm's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 385

Quote:
Originally Posted by To be named later
But again......Bruce Bowen, Tim Duncan, David Robinson have all had cameras present when they've done good things.

And sometimes those things have been "produced" by Stern, such as Parker going to Africa with Dikembe, etc etc.

If Kobe's charity is hollow because cameras are present.....then could not the same be said about Tim, David, Bruce, etc?
... the presence of the camera only provides us a small insight. It has nothing to do with anything.

Where I keep score is in the totality of the good things / bad things ratio.

I see Bowen over and over again, doing things for the community. He cares. Drob has a history of years and years and millions of dollars of community service. He cares. Tim, Parker, and others are also on same track. Their ratio is positive.

Kobe, in my mind, before the incident, was basically zero to negative. He cared about basketball and very little else, apparently. Then, he shot his public image and endorsement dollars to hell. So he buddys up some kid and the NBA is there with cameras blazing.

Does not make it less real to the kid. Good for him. I'm sure that it feels good to Kobe, too. Good for him.

But where is he on the ratio? Sorry for being an absurd arse, but I'm keeping score. Kobe likes to play games involving scoring points to win games, right?

Let's see Kobe toss in a few of those recaptured endorsement millions towards something that benfits few hundred kids intead of one lucky kid that found the willy wonka coupon.

Let's see Kobe pick a growing public health concern, like overweight, inactive kids, and put together a program to address it, at least for a few hundred kids in his community.

Let's see Kobe take a few weeks to travel to a 3rd world county instead of a few hours to travel to Houston.

The posters that question Kobe's actions do it because of his NEGATIVE balance. Because of the very trival nature of picking one kid and making his month (it's not trival to the one kid - understood).

He's been given millions and millions of dollars. He can, and should, do more to give back. Until then, this trite little all-star-game produced kobemercial tastes like water from the riverwalk to me - full of excrement, but bleached then colored green for my protection.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 02-22-06, 09:51 AM
bo spur's Avatar
SpursReport Team Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Austin
Posts: 5,775

Quote:
But again......Bruce Bowen, Tim Duncan, David Robinson have all had cameras present when they've done good things.
And sometimes those things have been "produced" by Stern, such as Parker going to Africa with Dikembe, etc etc.
If Kobe's charity is hollow because cameras are present.....then could not the same be said about Tim, David, Bruce, etc?
But it didn't take them alledidly commiting a hanous crime before the suddenly gave a sh!t becuase they lost all of thier endorsements. And those guys might have camera's at thier charity events, but how many people outside of San Antonio even know about Duncans bowling for dollars, or the things Bowen and Parker do that aren't involved with Stern and the NBA, only in SA.
I can't remember the last time I saw Drob on TV, and I'm sure he does more for people in his daily routine, where there are no camera's, then Kobe does in half a year. The guy is preaching and started a better school for under privledged children, the NBA isn't promoting that too much are they? But that's what makes it sincere, becuase he isn't doing it for his image, he's doing it becuase he cares and truly wants to help others, becuase he realizes how blessed he has been in his life.

I mean to a guy like Kobe, who has the mentality of a spoiled brat, thinks he can buy his way out of things. A girl accused him of rape, he pays her to shut up. He cheats on his wife, he buys her a multi-million dollar ring. Well he can't pay off the public eye, so he has to try and make himself seem more human, and some of us aren't buying it..

Again, its only my opinion. Just like its some of you guys opinion that he actually cares about more then himself and truly is only doing it for others and not to repair his image, which I don't agree with.
__________________

Last edited by bo spur; 02-22-06 at 09:59 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 02-22-06, 11:06 AM
To be named later's Avatar
SpursReport Team Captain
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 6,778

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo spur
But it didn't take them alledidly commiting a hanous crime before the suddenly gave a sh!t becuase they lost all of thier endorsements. And those guys might have camera's at thier charity events, but how many people outside of San Antonio even know about Duncans bowling for dollars, or the things Bowen and Parker do that aren't involved with Stern and the NBA, only in SA.
I can't remember the last time I saw Drob on TV, and I'm sure he does more for people in his daily routine, where there are no camera's, then Kobe does in half a year. The guy is preaching and started a better school for under privledged children, the NBA isn't promoting that too much are they? But that's what makes it sincere, becuase he isn't doing it for his image, he's doing it becuase he cares and truly wants to help others, becuase he realizes how blessed he has been in his life.

I mean to a guy like Kobe, who has the mentality of a spoiled brat, thinks he can buy his way out of things. A girl accused him of rape, he pays her to shut up. He cheats on his wife, he buys her a multi-million dollar ring. Well he can't pay off the public eye, so he has to try and make himself seem more human, and some of us aren't buying it..

Again, its only my opinion. Just like its some of you guys opinion that he actually cares about more then himself and truly is only doing it for others and not to repair his image, which I don't agree with.

Kobe and this kid have been spotlighted ONCE. Only once, over all star weekend.

I have seen, either in the 2003 or 2005 Finals or BOTH, segments on Timmy, spotlighting his charitable works. And it was seen by a HUGE finals audience.

David has had several features done on his Carver Academy, and they have been featured nationally. They were televised during the 2003 playoffs and other times.

So.....David and Timmy have each had their good deeds publicized numerous times.......while Kobe and this kid have been publicized ONCE.

So why is Kobe the insincere, evil, positive Page Ranking repair guy, and Timmy and David are the good guys?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 02-22-06, 11:11 AM
SpurInDallas's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,883

Quote:
Originally Posted by To be named later
Kobe and this kid have been spotlighted ONCE. Only once, over all star weekend.

I have seen, either in the 2003 or 2005 Finals or BOTH, segments on Timmy, spotlighting his charitable works. And it was seen by a HUGE finals audience.

David has had several features done on his Carver Academy, and they have been featured nationally. They were televised during the 2003 playoffs and other times.

So.....David and Timmy have each had their good deeds publicized numerous times.......while Kobe and this kid have been publicized ONCE.

So why is Kobe the insincere, evil, positive Page Ranking repair guy, and Timmy and David are the good guys?
Cuz I said so!

Sincerely,
SpursStalker
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 02-22-06, 11:18 AM
To be named later's Avatar
SpursReport Team Captain
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 6,778

Furthermore, almost all the publicity we have seen towards DRob and his charities, and Timmy and HIS charities, has been with the intent to raise money.

Am I right?

You hear a message of "Please donate to the Carver", or "please help us raise cash for the Tim Duncan Foundation"

One could say besides doing the right thing, their publicity is partly designed to get cash from you.

Kobe, on the other hand, he is also trying to do the right thing, BUT, he did not ask for cash, he did not spur anyone to send in money.

So therefore, playing devil's advocate, would Kobe's segment be more sincere, since he was not angling for a cash donation?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 02-22-06, 12:02 PM
bo spur's Avatar
SpursReport Team Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Austin
Posts: 5,775

Quote:
Kobe and this kid have been spotlighted ONCE. Only once, over all star weekend.
This isn't the first time I've seen the story on this. Its been going since last year, and they are also in the NBA commerical about the Hurricane victims.

Quote:
I have seen, either in the 2003 or 2005 Finals or BOTH, segments on Timmy, spotlighting his charitable works. And it was seen by a HUGE finals audience.
David has had several features done on his Carver Academy, and they have been featured nationally. They were televised during the 2003 playoffs and other times.
Exactly during the playoffs and Finals, when they are trying to find things to talk about between the teams left. And in the Finals they only have two teams to choose from. In Kobe's case they always highlight his stuff no matter how horrible his team is. If the Spurs weren't the championship caliber team they are, would there ever be any national spot light on them at all? In other words if the Spurs sucked as bad as the Lakers do, I doubt we would hear anything about any of thier players, because as it is being the defending champs, they still don't get much.

Quote:
So.....David and Timmy have each had their good deeds publicized numerous times.......while Kobe and this kid have been publicized ONCE.
So why is Kobe the insincere, evil, positive Page Ranking repair guy, and Timmy and David are the good guys?
Again, those two have been doing this since the got into the league, Kobe only started after he lost all his endorsements. Does that make any sense to you at all, It's pretty obvious to me and a few others.

Quote:
Furthermore, almost all the publicity we have seen towards DRob and his charities, and Timmy and HIS charities, has been with the intent to raise money.
Am I right?
You hear a message of "Please donate to the Carver", or "please help us raise cash for the Tim Duncan Foundation"
One could say besides doing the right thing, their publicity is partly designed to get cash from you.
Kobe, on the other hand, he is also trying to do the right thing, BUT, he did not ask for cash, he did not spur anyone to send in money.
So therefore, playing devil's advocate, would Kobe's segment be more sincere, since he was not angling for a cash donation?
Actually no, not in my opinion, because that statement could be made towards exactly what I've been saying about Kobe all along.
Tim and Dave are trying to get as much as they can, which in turn only helps thier cause and what they are raising money for. So raising as much as they can for whatever charity is the most important thing, which in turn is better for thier charity because they can do more with more money.

Could it be that Kobe on the other hand isn't trying to raise as much as he can to help out the victims or cause, because he isn't worried about the best interest of the charity, but only that as many people see him doing good things as possible. So that his image again is the most important thing.

And again that goes towards Stern as well. The NBA could be trying to get thier fans to donate to help the Katrina victims, but you never see them saying how you can help. You only see 100,000 commercials showing the NBA players helping the victims, that money could be better spent on continueing to help them then telling everyone you did. The more you pay to show everyone that you've done something good, the more it seems like your more worried about your image and everyone knowing how great you are, then that you actually were only doing it for the people you helped out.
__________________

Last edited by bo spur; 02-22-06 at 12:07 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 02-22-06, 12:37 PM
timm's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 385

Quote:
Originally Posted by To be named later
So why is Kobe the insincere, evil, positive Page Ranking repair guy, and Timmy and David are the good guys?
Because it's obvious. Here's an NBA player's perspective:

''I didn't think anybody thought he was coming,'' said Nuggets forward Carmelo Anthony, about the Houston charity contest. "We had everybody; all the top players in the game were there. You never see him at stuff like that, charity games. But for him to show up for that was a good deal.''

It remains to be seen if this is "one and done", or if Kobe's turned over a new leaf. I hope for his sake, his legacy, that he has. But if that was it, the balance of evidence shows that Bryant is a selfish, spoiled, immature brat.

It's up to him.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 02-22-06, 01:26 PM
biglakerfan's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: SA
Posts: 426

Quote:
Originally Posted by timm
Because it's obvious. Here's an NBA player's perspective:

''I didn't think anybody thought he was coming,'' said Nuggets forward Carmelo Anthony, about the Houston charity contest. "We had everybody; all the top players in the game were there. You never see him at stuff like that, charity games. But for him to show up for that was a good deal.''

It remains to be seen if this is "one and done", or if Kobe's turned over a new leaf. I hope for his sake, his legacy, that he has. But if that was it, the balance of evidence shows that Bryant is a selfish, spoiled, immature brat.

It's up to him.
Now theres a person who should be talking, Mr. Melo. How long as he been in the league again, and how would he know how many charity games or charities Kobe has been to? ALSO, how many damn 'charity games' have there been?! I don't recall anyone from the Spurs in the Katrina game, but I'm sure it was because they had their own charity pre season game vs the heat.

Do you guys view LG.net and other Laker forums? If not, then how would you guys know what Kobe does for charity, if its not reported on national TV? Exactly, you wouldn't, so in your people's mind anything that Kobe does is reported nationally and thats ALL he does, but thats not true.

Bo, either you're not reading my posts or just don't want to face the facts but Kobe has been doing stuff for the community far before he lost his endorsements. I wish this discussion was going to come up so i could've saved links and such, but I will still try.
__________________

"Love me, Feed me, Never leave me" --The one and only Garfield

Last edited by biglakerfan; 02-22-06 at 01:28 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 02-22-06, 01:55 PM
bo spur's Avatar
SpursReport Team Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Austin
Posts: 5,775

Quote:
Bo, either you're not reading my posts or just don't want to face the facts but Kobe has been doing stuff for the community far before he lost his endorsements. I wish this discussion was going to come up so i could've saved links and such, but I will still try.
I'm not going to sit here and lie about the fact that I can't stand the guy. I'm not going to say that hate has nothing to do with him and Shaq breaking my heart a few times. It does have a lot to do with it. And If you hate a guy, your going to see things worse then they probably are. But if you love the guy your probably going to see things better then they probably are.

Kobe has made himself an easy target for people who hate him. He's made mistakes in his life and for his team, at least in my opinion. And he just seems like the silver spoon brat that always got his way growing up, which turned him into who he is in my eye's.

In reality he's probably somewhere in the middle. Not doing it totally for the charity, not doing it totally for himself. But I'm just so sick of hearing about what a great person Kobe is, when just a little while ago, he was accused of raping a teenage girl, and then selfishly making the owner choose between him and Shaq becuase he was tired of being the back-up singer. Everyone always talks about him being all about winning, but if that's the case then I couldn't see him running his best chance at more rings out of town.
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 02-23-06, 08:07 AM
biglakerfan's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: SA
Posts: 426

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo spur
I'm not going to sit here and lie about the fact that I can't stand the guy. I'm not going to say that hate has nothing to do with him and Shaq breaking my heart a few times. It does have a lot to do with it. And If you hate a guy, your going to see things worse then they probably are. But if you love the guy your probably going to see things better then they probably are.

Kobe has made himself an easy target for people who hate him. He's made mistakes in his life and for his team, at least in my opinion. And he just seems like the silver spoon brat that always got his way growing up, which turned him into who he is in my eye's.

In reality he's probably somewhere in the middle. Not doing it totally for the charity, not doing it totally for himself. But I'm just so sick of hearing about what a great person Kobe is, when just a little while ago, he was accused of raping a teenage girl, and then selfishly making the owner choose between him and Shaq becuase he was tired of being the back-up singer. Everyone always talks about him being all about winning, but if that's the case then I couldn't see him running his best chance at more rings out of town.
Just one last question before I finally let this thread die. Where did you get this info from?! After Buss offered Shaq 25 million a year, Shaq was 'disrespected' and demanded a trade as soon as news about Phil Jackson got out. At the time Kobe was STILL a free agent and talked with MANY teams, including the bulls and clippers. Buss had no idea if Kobe was going to return or not, but since Shaq DEMANDED a trade, he had no choice.
__________________

"Love me, Feed me, Never leave me" --The one and only Garfield
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.7.4 Copyright © 2000-2008 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0