News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-06, 06:00 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Walton says he is concerned about Tim Duncan's foot

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont....17e19b87.html

Bill Walton is an equal-opportunity skeptic.

Instead of just pounding on the Mavericks' shortcomings, the analyst for ABC and ESPN said Wednesday that the San Antonio Spurs had better address their flaws, too, before the playoffs come around. "Head to head, with everything being equal, San Antonio is still a better team," Walton said. "But San Antonio has never been able to repeat as champions. They win their championships after they have a short season the year before." This knock on the Spurs couldn't be made, of course, if they didn't already have three championships in the last seven seasons. Walton, in town for ESPN's telecast of the Mavericks-Wizards game, also believes injuries could be working against the Spurs.

"[Tim] Duncan's foot issue, I think, is a major factor in this year's playoffs," Walton said. "That's not the kind of injury that gets better over time playing NBA basketball." However, Walton has something in common with TNT's Charles Barkley. He's not completely sold on the Mavericks, citing a significant disadvantage among big men compared to the Spurs.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-17-06, 06:42 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Hell, he's not the only one, I for one am not used to seeing Tim go through such an up and down season. And I'm pretty sure it's a source of concern for the staff and players. Tim is the guy who has been the rock that this team has depended on to get through the rough spots. But this year, Manu and Tony will just have to carry more of the load as well as the bench, and the bench is what has me worried, since Horry is still hurting and Fin, Barry and Nick just haven't gotten into a groove.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-17-06, 06:50 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Tim lost weight to get more mobile, but his foot problem has robbed him of his mobility. Now he's both slow and less strong, worst of all possible worlds.

Manu has himself been hurt various times, and his play, especially his defense, has really slipped.

Tony is filling up the gap admirably, and this team has a better start than last year's team. But I feel it isn't quite as strong at this time of the season.

Please, Pop, don't be stubborn and FREE BENO!!!!!
Old 02-17-06, 06:58 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnwhuxley
Tim lost weight to get more mobile, but his foot problem has robbed him of his mobility. Now he's both slow and less strong, worst of all possible worlds.
yikes....never thought of it like that before
Old 02-17-06, 08:25 AM
SpursReport Team Member

This foot problem is quite a shame. After staying in SA all offseason and resting he started off the year incredible.
Old 02-17-06, 09:09 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Healthy Tim Duncan> Home court advantage

We are the best team in the West. Plantar fascitis only gets better with long periods of rest. Rest him now and let him play the last 10-15 games of the season to get in shape. Pop has to pul the trigger on this sooner rather than later.

"Into Sean Elliott. He fires the three. AND HITS IT!"
Old 02-17-06, 01:02 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I'd rather go into the playoffs as the 8 seed with a fully healthy TD then go in as the 1 with his health being a queston mark. We can beat anyone anywhere in 7 games if our team is completely healthy. Without his health we can kiss our title chances goodbye. As much as I love Parker and Ginobili, I dont think they can carry this team to a title. We need Timmy healthy.
Old 02-17-06, 01:19 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

And I'm concerned about Waltons grey matter.

Typical tangential hot air from Mr. "Help I'm talking and I can't shut-up".
Old 02-17-06, 02:19 PM
SpursReport Team Member

One short season, 99, Spurs win championship. Were there any other short seasons when the Spurs won the following two championships? I don't remember that BILL....you big suckup.
Old 02-17-06, 03:19 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Bill Walton is an idiot on most fronts, but he should know about foot injuries, sicne it sidelined him for a good chunk of his NBA career.
Old 02-17-06, 03:27 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I'm kind of tired about hearing about the foot. If its that bad, he needs to sit out otherwise, we need to quit making excuses for him. Tim seems like he is concerned about winning so if he goes and plays in the allstar game then it can't be that bad.
Old 02-17-06, 03:57 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainlate
One short season, 99, Spurs win championship. Were there any other short seasons when the Spurs won the following two championships? I don't remember that BILL....you big suckup.
he meant we won championships after short seasons AKA we lost in the playoffs so we had about a month shorter season.
Lest we forget, in the biggest NBA game of the last decade, the Spurs handled the Pistons in the type of game that Detroit is supposedly built for. In deciding games between San Antonio and Detroit, the Spurs are 1-0, and the Pistons are 0-1.
Old 02-17-06, 04:19 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurs7794
he meant we won championships after short seasons AKA we lost in the playoffs so we had about a month shorter season.

Actually didnt Tim and Manu play in the olympics the summer before the last championship.

Problem with Walton is he never really believes anything he says..he just says it because it gets a rise for the particular moment (aka color commentary) ...but he's likely to completely contradict himself the next game (or even the next sentence). Its funny when cobroadcasters try to call him on it and he's all oblivious.
Old 02-17-06, 04:33 PM
SpursReport Team Member

If Duncans foot was that serious i dont think he would be playing in the allstar game.
Old 02-17-06, 07:09 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernatural Anesthetist

I dont know why ure rolling your eyes at me cause i was just pointing out what i thought Bill was tryin got say.

As for him contradicting himself, best one was when before either game 5 or 7 against detroit (i dont remember which), he went on and on and on about how the Spurs were reeling and how the Pistons were too clutch for the Spurs and how Duncan was struggling and then Mike Tirico asked him "who wins tonight". Walton smiles and says "San Antonio". Even tho i was nervous as hell b4 the game, i was laughing hysterically at that comment.
Lest we forget, in the biggest NBA game of the last decade, the Spurs handled the Pistons in the type of game that Detroit is supposedly built for. In deciding games between San Antonio and Detroit, the Spurs are 1-0, and the Pistons are 0-1.
Old 02-17-06, 07:14 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I'm concerned with the foot as well. Tim just doesn't look as dominant as he has in past seasons, especially on the offensive end. Of course you can attribute some of it to Tony and Manu picking up the scoring duties, but when one watches the games, it's obvious that Duncan's missing easy shots he would normally make.

I really hope his foot gets better soon... If that means taking a break from the game, then do it.
Old 02-17-06, 09:52 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

if ginobili and duncan were fully healthy,

and parker plays like he does now.... sick.

but i just don't get the feeling duncan is gonna be moving like he used too.. (this season/playoffs)...

best case scenario... this time that duncan and ginobili are not at their best, will be the reason that parker has stepped up so well, and gotten to improve his game and decision making...

and during the playoffs, we add our all-star parker to a magically healthier Tim Duncan and a Ginobili that won't get injured during the playoffs...

and this will be Schweeet
Old 02-17-06, 10:01 PM
The Eternal Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernatural Anesthetist
And I'm concerned about Waltons grey matter.

Typical tangential hot air from Mr. "Help I'm talking and I can't shut-up".
Remember this. It was foot problems, stress fracture or something like that, that curtailed Walton's career, so perhaps he is closer to the mark than a lot of people give him credit for with respect to Duncan. I am definitely not the biggest Walton backer, but in this respect and post play in general, he does have a little experience from which to speak. (two championships-one as a starter-if memory serves me right)

Last edited by old timer; 02-17-06 at 10:04 PM.