News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 02-14-06, 10:16 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Parker or Ginobili???

Which one will be more critical to the success of our team in this year's championship run??

I feel that Manu was without question the 2nd best player and 2nd most important player on our team during last year's run (especially during the championship). He raised his game to another level completely and his star shined the brightest in the game's biggest moments.

Yet this year Tony has really come out strong. There is a reason we are supporting the 2nd best record in the league and one of the best records we have ever had up to this point despite Ginobili being out alot, Duncan playing injured and Finley and Van Exel not working out well, and that reason is named Tony Parker.

Easily the 2nd best pg in the west behind only steve nash Tony has raised his ppg to nearly almost 20 this year, while attempting barely more fga's. His fg% is an absurdly high, and even though the to's have risen I believe he is playing much smarter with the ball. Many sportswriters are on the money when they state that he, and not duncan, has carried this team so far this year.

So I wonder though, of course in PO time Timmy is going to be the man. Afterall PO time is where Big guys shine! But is it possible that Tony continues his stellar play and replaces Manu as the go to guy in the playoffs??

Not that I worry that it would create any friction, the way this guys play and with pop in place you know that will never happen. Yet it would be interesting to see if Tony can match Manu's knack of getting it done when it counts the most.

As it is, the last few weeks these guys have been rolling. The team has been a pure joy to watch and I cannot wait for the playoffs to begin.

-J.W.
Old 02-14-06, 10:27 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

prepare to be owned
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-14-06, 10:29 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

When halfcourt defenses pack the lane come playoff time, Manu will probably be more vital, IMO.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-14-06, 10:34 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

They're both very important. We're going to need both of them to play well. Hopefully Manu gets healthy enough (by the way on the Pop show he said that Manu tweaked his ankle again last night but it didn't sound bad at all) for the playoffs.
Old 02-14-06, 10:35 PM
The Chosen One(Moderator)

Oh no you just lit a fuse man...... *packs up bags and poster promoting Busta Rhymes New album "the Big Bang" coming soon and runs*

I'm Batman's cousin
Old 02-14-06, 10:41 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipmode Master

Oh no you just lit a fuse man...... *packs up bags and poster promoting Busta Rhymes New album "the Big Bang" coming soon and runs*
Subtle.
Old 02-14-06, 10:42 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

You are going to the same predictable responses from the same predictable people.

This thread is whack.
Old 02-14-06, 10:42 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Notorious MI21
You are going to the same predictable responses from the same predictable people.

This thread is whack.
Then don't participate in it.
Old 02-14-06, 10:51 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff
Then don't participate in it.
I choose to participate.

I'm just letting the thread starter know that this topic has been covered 5,601 times since 2002-2003.

I will be entertained by the incredible responses that some people will no doubt give.
Old 02-14-06, 11:13 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I'll take Manu because hes a proven clutch playoff player. But if Tony could develop a really good midrange-3point shot he would be unstopable, like Steve Nash minus 8 years. As of now no one can stop him from penetrating so he has no reason to shoot outside shots
Old 02-14-06, 11:20 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I'd say no comment, but isnt it quite simple and obvious that we need both pretty much equally, not one more than the other, or one and not the other. Thats not how our current team works.. Why ask?
Old 02-14-06, 11:54 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Marks or Oberto?
Old 02-14-06, 11:55 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

I suspect this to get into 5-6 page territory soon
Old 02-15-06, 12:07 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Notorious MI21
I will be entertained by the incredible responses that some people will no doubt give.
This is not at all a sarcastic statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesR
This threads are always stupid.
Nothing quite like calling something stupid using bad grammer.
Old 02-15-06, 12:10 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraBC
I suspect this to get into 5-6 page territory soon
Not if someone does the logical thing and just locks this.

Old 02-15-06, 12:13 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB
Not if someone does the logical thing and just locks this.

The power lies in his/her/your hands..
Old 02-15-06, 12:23 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

I'll never understand thread critics.

If you don't like it, don't post.

I've exercised this power countless times.

What exactly is so lockable about this thread anyway? The question is fair: Parker and Ginobili have both reached the point where either one is well-equipped to be the second option in the playoffs. What's wrong with discussing/predicting which player will have the greater impact?

Now, if protesting the existence of this thread is disguised dislike for the starter of the thread, Laker Legend Jerry West, then I guess I understand.
Old 02-15-06, 01:32 AM

But, but......

Chucky Atkins is a superstar!!!!! Nothing else matters. Pair Chucky with Lamar Odom, and you got a dynasty!!!!

"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at this rock perhaps 100 times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the 101st blow, it will split in two and I know it was not that blow that did it. But all that had gone before." - Jacob Riis
Old 02-15-06, 01:47 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Give me Manu, a proven playoff performer. Tony although having a great year, still needs to start showing up in the playoffs
Old 02-15-06, 03:38 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Have been reading the forum quite for a while but never joined the conversation. Maybe I was not sure about what I should do or talk. Frankly, let me introduce myself first. I am Thai from Thailand. If you could not understand my English or my words, I apologize!

Tony and Manu... Tony is a talented player and he is now in the state of improving both his ability and mentality. Manu is also a talented player and I think he is now still improving his ability. For Manu, I think his mentality is strong and has high confidence. Maybe his long-range shooting supposts him too. Tony is talented and I always like him. But I think he still needs to improve his jump shot and 3 point range. I hope the All Star Game will help improve his confidence. I think they both never stop improving their ability.

BTW, I think we (I take this chance to put myself as one of you guys) need to have both Tony and Manu healthy. They both can be scary threat for the opposite teams. They both can use their energy to help each other and others in the team. They both can switch the roles for offensive play and can still play good defensive stop (they both are good at stealing the ball.)

I think they both will do well in the playoff this year.
Old 02-15-06, 04:13 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I pick Tony Ginobili, our best guard, i think.
Old 02-15-06, 06:47 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Bowen
Old 02-15-06, 07:18 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hantler
I'll take Chucky Atkins over Manu or Tony any day Lamar Odom can kiss my ass though. He sucks.
Chucky Atkins is the same person as in the famous Atkins Diet?
Old 02-15-06, 07:31 AM
SpursReport Team Member

MANU (He's the one Pop gives the ball to in crunch time)
Old 02-15-06, 08:25 AM
SpursReport Rookie

John or Paul, oh, sorry I was dreamin', well ... it depends on ... Up to now I'll chose TP but Manu hhad been good in playoff
Old 02-15-06, 08:28 AM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Spurs win and lose as a team.

End of story.
Old 02-15-06, 09:06 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud786
prepare to be owned
is it the offseason? Why start the Parker vs Gino debate again?

both are important...SA needs both. Why start this nonsense all over again thats been covered 10,000 times around here
Old 02-15-06, 11:09 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Location: Bangalore - Silicon Valley East - Ex hyderabd, Cupertino/CA & Campinas Brazil, Houston and SanAntonio

Competition brings it all - Tony will make his mark on ATWeek!
Old 02-15-06, 11:21 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Chauncey Billups or Rip Hamilton? if one of thies guys is out for his team, they stand a good chance to lose...no questions.
same goes for us now, both manu and tony are on there game this year. manu has always been manu and tony had his growing years, but make no mistake....we need them both now.
Old 02-15-06, 11:21 AM

I say Parker. We know what Tim and Manu are going to bring in the playoffs. Tony is the question. His continued success is the most important thing to the Spurs right now.
Old 02-15-06, 11:28 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzG
is it the offseason? Why start the Parker vs Gino debate again?

both are important...SA needs both. Why start this nonsense all over again thats been covered 10,000 times around here
I guess everyone is misinterpreting what I was trying to say except Spurs 3-0.

It is not a one is more needed then the other can do without question. It is simply who will step up into the role of 2nd option during the playoffs this year.

In my heart, I still believe Manu will be the man come playoff time. After his incredible performance in all the playoffs last year, and especially the finals, the guy has cemented his legacy as a big game player.

But Tony Parker is making some strides. I would not be too surprised if Tony continued his stellar play and became the 2nd option during the playoffs.

-J.W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectGSX
I say Parker. We know what Tim and Manu are going to bring in the playoffs. Tony is the question. His continued success is the most important thing to the Spurs right now.
If manu continues last year's performance in the playoffs this year AND Tony is able to step it up into superstar mode then you are talking about a playoff run here that will rival the 2nd laker run of their trifecta (was it 01 or 02).

Could be 15-1 if everyone is clicking on a superstar level.

-J.w.
Old 02-15-06, 11:57 AM

Spurs going 15-1 in the 2006 playoffs are as likely as my landing on the moon by Thursday afternoon.
Old 02-15-06, 12:27 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Spurs going 15-1 in the 2006 playoffs are as likely as my landing on the moon by Thursday afternoon.
The lakers making a splash in the playoffs (as u predicted before the season) is as likely as the sky turning purple.

-J.W.
Old 02-15-06, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLogo
The lakers making a splash in the playoffs (as u predicted before the season) is as likely as the sky turning purple.

-J.W.
Perhaps, but I think it's still more possible than the Spurs going 15-1.

They'll lose 2-3 games in the NBA Finals alone!
Old 02-15-06, 12:49 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Perhaps, but I think it's still more possible than the Spurs going 15-1.

They'll lose 2-3 games in the NBA Finals alone!
Most likely.

But if Manu can do what he did last year and step up his game several notches...

And if Timmy can get just keep being timmy...

And if Parker (as I said in the previous post) can step his game up a few notches (ala Manu)

I see no reason why we cannot pull off a miracle run.

Again it all hinges on parker, he has never been one to truly come through consistently in crunch time in the po's, but this year (i know it is regular season) we have seen a different tony. And if Tony can keep it up and have the other two of our big three clicking...

That would be legendary.

-J.W.
Old 02-15-06, 12:50 PM

Aha! You're trying to pull me into this topic. No thanks.

I don't really give a damn WHICH one shows up big as long as one of them does - it doesn't matter to me.

Whomever shows up more or plays bigger is irrelevant as long as we win.
Old 02-15-06, 12:58 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Aha! You're trying to pull me into this topic. No thanks.

I don't really give a damn WHICH one shows up big as long as one of them does - it doesn't matter to me.

Whomever shows up more or plays bigger is irrelevant as long as we win.

I agree with you 100%. In the end all that matters is another ring.

-J.W.
Old 02-15-06, 03:39 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLogo

I agree with you 100%. In the end all that matters is another ring.

-J.W.
All here but trolls agree on that. So why post Parker OR Ginobili ? in the first place.

We are lucky to have 2 great guards like them. We don't have to pick one or the other.

GO SPURS GO!!!!!!
Old 02-15-06, 04:36 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Manu at the moment. Tony is great but he is not as good a shooter.

Think back to last year's Game 7. Tim passed out of a double team to Tony who missed the shot badly. Later on, Tim passed out to Manu who hit the 3 pointer!

What most people have been saying is that Tony is still improving, but he just needs to stick his jumper
Old 02-15-06, 04:39 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Kidd to SA?????
Old 02-15-06, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennui30
Manu at the moment. Tony is great but he is not as good a shooter.

Think back to last year's Game 7. Tim passed out of a double team to Tony who missed the shot badly. Later on, Tim passed out to Manu who hit the 3 pointer!

What most people have been saying is that Tony is still improving, but he just needs to stick his jumper
You aren't helping matters any.
Old 02-15-06, 05:11 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I PICK VINNY!!
Old 02-15-06, 05:12 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
You aren't helping matters any.
I think it's clear that everyone sees both players as integral to the Spurs' championship run. I don't see any harm in comparisons
Old 02-15-06, 05:14 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

The title of this thread and its contents are all wrong. Its not Parker or Ginobili, its Parker and Ginobili.

If Parker keeps up his great play and once Ginobili fully gets back into the swing of things you are going to be hard pressed to find a better back-court in the league.

Comparing them against each other is just 'basically retarded'.
Old 02-15-06, 07:26 PM
SR 2010 Western Conference Champion

Quote:
I think that you landing on the moon by Thursday afternoon is more probable because if the Spurs win only 15 games in their playoff run, that means they are one shy of winning it all and for that, they have to, at least, loose four games in the Finals. So there is no 15-1 possibility.

And about the thread topic, I think it will depend on which player the opponent concentrates more on any given night. If they focus on stopping Manu, Tony will own them. If they focus on stopping Tony, Manu will take care of things. And on both scenarios, don't forget about Tim. So I think the answer to the thread question lies more on what the opponent decides to do (something like "pick your poison").
Old 02-15-06, 09:19 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Parkobili

and Ginorker