SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-06, 01:45 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

ESPN: Ron Artest says YES to Sacramento Trade

According to ESPNNEWS.

Link pending.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-25-06, 01:47 PM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

It isn't Jim Gray reporting it, is it?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-25-06, 01:47 PM

The Maloof brothers have confirmed that the Artest trade was approved by the league and that Artest has agreed to the deal.
Old 01-25-06, 01:50 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Larry Bird roughed him up until he finally agreed

"We would have two less championships here if it wasn't for Manu Ginobili," Popovich said. "In my book, Manu Ginobili is the stud of the world."
Old 01-25-06, 01:52 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Congrats Soup!

Beware of what you wish for, Magnificent!
Old 01-25-06, 01:52 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapsuhdee
Larry Bird roughed him up until he finally agreed
he gave ol' Ronnie a good old fashioned country ass kickin'.
Old 01-25-06, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpurInDallas
he gave ol' Ronnie a good old fashioned country ass kickin'.
Or a good ol fashioned "Frenck Lick" ass kicking!
Old 01-25-06, 01:54 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Rick Adelmen sat him down and said this:
"You know, in the ten years that I coached, I never met anybody who wanted to win as badly as I did. I'd do anything I had to do to increase my advantage. Anybody who tried to block the pursuit of that advantage, I'd just push 'em out of the way. Didn't matter who they were, or what they were doing. But that was then. You have special talent, a gift. Not the school's, not the townspeople, not the team's, not Myra Fleener's, not mine. It's yours, to do with what you choose. Because that's what I believe, I can tell you this: I don't care if you play on the team or not."
Old 01-25-06, 01:58 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB
Or a good ol fashioned "Frenck Lick" ass kicking!
That too! Either way, dont piss off a country boy.
Old 01-25-06, 02:05 PM

UPDATE:

Pacers met with Artest this morning and he assured Donnie Walsh and Larry Bird he would agree to trade.

Kings contacted Artest and he spoke with the Maloof brothers and GM Geoff Petrie and assured them that he would come and play hard for them.

According to ESPN (and yes, Jim Grey) - the Kings have NOT finalized the deal, but are moving forward with this trade.

Official link will be posted ASAP.
Old 01-25-06, 02:10 PM
MomBear

yeah well I'll believe it when I see Ron Ron in a Sacramento uniform...

and i don't mean a photoshopped one either...

Old 01-25-06, 02:16 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Darn...guess i'll have to drop Stephen Jackson from my fantasy team (although, i really should have dropped him a while ago)...
Old 01-25-06, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toki9
Darn...guess i'll have to drop Stephen Jackson from my fantasy team (although, i really should have dropped him a while ago)...
3 seasons after leaving the Spurs - shouldn't Stephen Jackson be an All Star by now?
Old 01-25-06, 02:23 PM

Quote:
3 seasons after leaving the Spurs - shouldn't Stephen Jackson be an All Star by now?
In some homers eyes, he always has been.
Old 01-25-06, 02:26 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Hey, and now Peja's got a chip on his shoulder. Good news all around for Soup.
Old 01-25-06, 02:30 PM

Ron Artest met Wednesday with Indiana Pacers officials to discuss a possible trade to the Sacramento Kings for Peja Stojakovic.

"They said they were going to try to get something sorted out to get the trade done," Artest told the Indianapolis Star by phone as he drove away from the meeting at Canseco Fieldhouse. Artest told the Star it was a good meeting, but that there was "no trade right now."

Artest also denied he wouldn't go to the Kings.

"I'll go anywhere," Artest told the Star. "I just want to get back on the basketball court and start playing again."

ESPN's Jim Gray reported Wednesday after the meeting that Artest has agreed to be traded, but that Kings owners Joe and Gavin Maloof now want to talk to Artest before finalizing any trade.

On Tuesday, his agent was more guarded about the prospect of Artest playing in Sacramento.

"In the last month, Ron Artest has been vehemently portrayed in an unflattering manner in the media, specifically in the aftermath of requesting a trade, even after it was made clear that he only spoke out because he believed the Pacers were going to trade him to Sacramento, a place he did not want to go to," Mark Stevens said in a statement to ESPN's Stephen A. Smith on Tuesday night. "Now it has become evident that this trade was not merely speculation but something that has been at least discussed for quite some time.

"Ron Artest did not want to be traded to Sacramento weeks ago, and he does not want to be traded to Sacramento now.

"Basketball is Ron Artest's passion. In order for Ron to fully demonstrate his natural skills and abilities, to the best of his abilities, he not only must be in an environment that is conducive to his growth an development as a player, he must also ensure that his family is happy and content as well. Ron does not believe that will be the case if he were in Sacramento. Period. However, as mentioned earlier, Ron is deeply committed to the sport of basketball and desperately misses playing the game he loves. If the trade is made he will play for his new team, regardless of how he may feel about it."

Stevens told ESPN's Greg Anthony that he thought Artest needed a stable situation with strong leadership, and that the uncertainty about both Kings coach Rick Adelman's future and the Kings' future in Sacramento indicated a lack of stability that would be uncomfortable for Artest.

Likewise, National Basketball Players Association executive director Billy Hunter told Anthony that Artest had not refused to report to Sacramento, although he had told Hunter of his reservations about the potential trade. Hunter expressed concern about reports that the Pacers might attempt to suspend Artest for playing a role in the Kings' rejection of the trade. Hunter told Anthony that Artest was not culpable for the possible dissolution of the deal because he had expressed that he would accept the trade.

The Pacers and Kings were close to a deal Tuesday, and Stojakovic stayed at the team hotel in Philadelphia when it appeared the trade would be finalized. But a source with inner knowledge of the day's events told Sheridan a call from Stevens to the Kings gave them second thoughts about pulling the trigger, and the deal was temporarily shelved.

"The way I was treated today, I was disappointed," Stojakovic told ESPN.com in Philadelphia. "I feel kind of disrespected with the way I found out. Thank God they have TVs here. I understand being traded, but this situation is weird. I had already planned my flight back to Sacramento, and now everything is reversed.

"I guess this is just a business, but the way I was told and the way I found out, I feel I deserved better from [Kings owners Joe and Gavin Maloof]. Anybody can get traded in the NBA, but the way I found out, it was disrespectful. I deserve better after seven and a half years."

A source told Sheridan that the efforts to rekindle the deal were ongoing Wednesday and extended all the way to the ownership level on both teams.

If the Artest trade ultimately falls apart, the Kings will be facing an uncomfortable dynamic with Stojakovic, who has never been traded in his NBA career. During his 10-minute interview with ESPN.com, he seemed bewildered and embittered by the day's events. The two-hour bus ride to Manhattan promised to be an uncomfortable one for Stojakovic and his Kings teammates, who, two hours earlier, thought they wouldn't see him again until the next time they faced the Pacers.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2304942
Old 01-25-06, 03:10 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

As I said this morning in another thread, I think what's going on is that the Pacers told Artest to either accept the trade, and go make nice with the Kings so they would sign off on it, OR be suspended without pay for the rest of the season. The suspension would be justified by his actions which led to the trade being abandoned.

In this story, you can already see the NBA Players Association preparing to fight a suspension, and getting their spin on the situation out there.

Quote:
Likewise, National Basketball Players Association executive director Billy Hunter told Anthony that Artest had not refused to report to Sacramento, although he had told Hunter of his reservations about the potential trade. Hunter expressed concern about reports that the Pacers might attempt to suspend Artest for playing a role in the Kings' rejection of the trade. Hunter told Anthony that Artest was not culpable for the possible dissolution of the deal because he had expressed that he would accept the trade.
Old 01-25-06, 03:12 PM
SpursReport Team Member

If i were the Kings I would be the one to back off now. I'm just waiting for what brilliant thing Ron comes up with next.
Old 01-25-06, 03:14 PM

Yeah, i heard yesterday on FSN Southwest after the Spurs game that Artest did say he actually didn't disapprove it, so it made it soundlike the trade would still go through.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toki9
Next for Indy is to find someone willing to take Jackson. I know Soup would love to get rid of Jackson, that's for sure.

"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at this rock perhaps 100 times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the 101st blow, it will split in two and I know it was not that blow that did it. But all that had gone before." - Jacob Riis
Old 01-25-06, 03:25 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

It's a good deal for both the Kings and the Pacers. The Kings ware playing better without Peja, he was expandable. Peja's tendency to oximoronic behave was very created a bit of conmotion too. At least Artest has some years left in his contract, and they could trade him later if the things don't go well.

Under Bird supervision, Peja could eventually develop a bit of toughness, rebounding, defensive presence and some clutch.
Old 01-25-06, 03:25 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Yes! Artest versus Team Kobe 4 times a year????? Does it get much better than that!!!!?????
Old 01-25-06, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malice
Yes! Artest versus Team Kobe 4 times a year????? Does it get much better than that!!!!?????
Coupled with Bonzi, Kobe might come out looking black and blue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkman
Under Bird supervision, Peja could eventually develop a bit of toughness, rebounding, defensive presence and some clutch.
O'Neal and Peja will both benefit each other greatly, since he's more of stand still shooter and doesn't need a lot of room to work.

"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at this rock perhaps 100 times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the 101st blow, it will split in two and I know it was not that blow that did it. But all that had gone before." - Jacob Riis
Old 01-25-06, 03:34 PM
SpursReport Rookie

this greatly improves indianas starting five bcuz now yesicavwhater can now come off the bench. watching the pacers play you can see that they desperatly need shooting and this could not have turned out any better for them. i believe the pacers wont be hurt by peja no defense no rebounds game becuz jermaine is pretty tought down low as well as foster or harrison down low. The Pacers will get better. i dont really care bout the kings we will see what happens 2 them
Old 01-25-06, 03:38 PM

This also should help Granger get more playing time and eventually get him to the point of being a starter.

Old 01-25-06, 03:44 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grego
This also should help Granger get more playing time and eventually get him to the point of being a starter.
Yeah, Granger is a stud, looking forward to seeing that team with Peja.
Old 01-25-06, 04:28 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the Pacers, that this deal can go through. I think Peja will greatly benefit from a change of scenery. He hasn't been the same for Sacramento since they traded Vlade.
Old 01-25-06, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAScrub
Rick Adelmen sat him down and said this:
"You know, in the ten years that I coached, I never met anybody who wanted to win as badly as I did. I'd do anything I had to do to increase my advantage. Anybody who tried to block the pursuit of that advantage, I'd just push 'em out of the way. Didn't matter who they were, or what they were doing. But that was then. You have special talent, a gift. Not the school's, not the townspeople, not the team's, not Myra Fleener's, not mine. It's yours, to do with what you choose. Because that's what I believe, I can tell you this: I don't care if you play on the team or not."
Brings a tear to my eyes.
Old 01-25-06, 04:34 PM

The trade that almost wasn't is on the verge of happening again. The Kings and Pacers have both signed off on a deal that will send Ron Artest to Sacramento and Peja Stojakovic to Indiana, sources told ESPN's Jim Gray. The trade is now only pending league approval.

ESPN's Stephen A. Smith reports that Ron Artest is boarding a plane for Boston and he will be in a Kings uniform Friday night against the Celtics.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2304942
Old 01-25-06, 04:49 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

The Kings need help, that's for sure. They have been one of the worst teams in basketball.
Old 01-25-06, 05:17 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
How do ya figure?

Danny has been our starting SF, and has been playing pretty well overall. But Peja will move him to the bench.

But anyway..... YES! HE'S GONE! I was ready to cut him at this point, so getting Peja in return is cool, even though I'm not much of a fan of his.

Quote:
Yeah, i heard yesterday on FSN Southwest after the Spurs game that Artest did say he actually didn't disapprove it, so it made it soundlike the trade would still go through.

Next for Indy is to find someone willing to take Jackson. I know Soup would love to get rid of Jackson, that's for sure.
Jax and Tinsley need to be the next out the door. Our starting backcourt is FUBAR.
Old 01-25-06, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
How do ya figure?

Danny has been our starting SF, and has been playing pretty well overall. But Peja will move him to the bench.

But anyway..... YES! HE'S GONE! I was ready to cut him at this point, so getting Peja in return is cool, even though I'm not much of a fan of his.
Well the roster can be finally more stable, without less worrying. Who knows, what could happen? I still think it'll benefit Granger, because he's an athletic guy, much like Artest was. His versatility will be allowed to expand more with Artest gone. Peja and Danny are two different 3's. That's why he still should get big time. I'd expect to see Jackson lose some minutes(hopes). Peja is a better, more consistent shooter than him, although Jackson has the edge on the athleticism, and huge edge on low IQ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupIsGood

Jax and Tinsley need to be the next out the door. Our starting backcourt is FUBAR.
I agree whole heartedly. Maybe they can be bundled in a package. Someone I'm sure is at least willing to take on Tinsley..... So hopefully they can sneak Jackson in that deal.

Old 01-25-06, 05:21 PM
SpursReport Team Member

finally he is traded....but now he is in the wild wild west

i think the pacers will be better off without worrying about him any more

~Go Spurs Go~
Old 01-25-06, 05:30 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

It's official

www.nba.com/pacers
Old 01-25-06, 05:45 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I just realized that Brad Miller and Ron will be together AGAIN. Man this guy couldn't get away from Ron if he tried (and he probably did).
Old 01-25-06, 06:08 PM
SpursReport Team Member

i'm gonna miss my man! thank you for all the wonderful memories peja, you will be missed!

i'm mixed on this trade. i will need a few games to see how artest pans out to really get excited. i'm still pissed about the fiasco yesterday. so right now it's a reluctant welcome, but i'm sure i'll warm up to him as time passes

this should help my kings. we finally have someone who can play some defense, seeing artest guard kobe is going to be very exciting. does anyone know the head to head stats when artest gaurds kobe??? i can't find them for the life of me. i'm certinaly looking foward to that game, that is for sure!

slapping a yellow "support our troops" sticker on the back of your gas guzzling SUV in the middle of a war for oil makes you an a-holes

cooking is not a chore, cooking is an obsession.
Old 01-25-06, 06:11 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Indiana CLEARLY comes out ahead in this deal, but all things considered, I don't think Sacramento did all that bad either.

Best case, Artest behaves and Sacramento, who's only 3.5 games out of the playoffs, gets back into the playoff mix.

Worst case, Artest blows up on day 1 and the Kings don't go anywhere, but they weren't going anywhere with Peja anyways. Plus, during they offseason they'd still have a tradeable asset in Artest because there are ALWAYS teams willing to take chances on bad guys who have mad game. Peja could have just left them high and dry by walking for nothing.
Old 01-25-06, 06:31 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I still think that Kings are not happy (they got a player who is not the happiest guy ever as their player), Peja is very unhappy, Artest is unhappy, JO is unhappy... the only one who is a little bit happy is Bird.
Old 01-25-06, 06:48 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Done deal: Pacers trade Artest to Kings for Peja

ESPN.com news services

INDIANAPOLIS -- The Indiana Pacers traded volatile forward Ron Artest to the Sacramento Kings for Peja Stojakovic on Wednesday, a day after a deal between the teams all but fell apart.

Artest reportedly balked at being dealt to the Kings, but met with Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh on Wednesday at Conseco Fieldhouse to discuss the trade.

After the meeting, ESPN's Jim Gray and Stephen A. Smith reported that Artest agreed to be traded. Smith also reports that Artest is boarding a plane for Boston and will be in a Kings uniform Friday night against the Celtics.

CHRIS SHERIDAN REAX
It's been clear for some time that the Kings had to do something. The team has basically been lifeless the first three months of the season, except for three occasions when they've won three straight games, and they're at their lowest point in the standings in six years.
This is a good risk for the Kings, because they stood a chance of getting nothing if Stojakovic left as a free agent this summer. Now instead they have a player who is signed for two more years, not to mention a player with a much better all-around game than Stojakovic.

Artest will be reunited with Brad Miller, and he'll be able to take Stojakovic's spot in the lineup. At this point, Artest has more game than Stojakovic on offense, and it goes without saying that he's a much stronger defender.

From the Pacers' perspective, you have to give credit to the front office for holding out. It took a lot of guts for them to wait six weeks for a player they wanted to come along. It's only mid-January, so they have plenty of time to recover. They are tied for fifth in the East, and should have no trouble securing a playoff spot.

It's not clear how Stojakovic will function in that offense, but he's not the fastest guy in the league so he should fit well into the Pacers' methodical offense.

"We wish Ron the best at Sacramento," said Pacers CEO/President Donnie Walsh. "There's no doubt in our mind he'll have an immediate impact on their team. We'll miss him very much. We know this has been a long process for our fans, but we have a player we think our fans will enjoy watching."

The trade ends a lengthy standoff between the Pacers and Artest, who was deactivated in December after requesting a trade and was suspended most of last season for his role in one of the worst brawls in U.S. sports history.

"Obviously, we're very happy about getting a player of [Stojakovic's] caliber," Pacers president Larry Bird said in a statement. "He's one of the best shooters in the league and we definitely feel he can help us right away."

Indiana spent several weeks searching for the right deal, nearly sending Artest to the Los Angeles Clippers for Corey Maggette before reviving talks with the Kings in recent days.

This trade has been rumored for three months, with the Kings thought to need Artest's defense just as much as the Pacers need Stojakovic's offense.

Artest is due to make $7.15 million next season and $7.8 million in 2007-08, with an $8.45 million player option for 2008-09. His defensive presence and infamous instability should be an intriguing fit with the Kings, whose franchise makeover now has a more defensive look.

Artest spent parts of six seasons with the Pacers, earning an All-Star berth and recognition as the NBA's defensive player of the year in 2003-04. He led the league in steals and averaged 19.4 points per game this season before his trade request and subsequent deactivation.

"He's a teammate," Kings forward Corliss Williamson told ESPN. "We know what kind of player he is. … [He] can help us out, especially on defense. … [For him] it's a fresh start."

Artest was suspended for last season's final 73 games and the playoffs after he charged into the stands during a game at Detroit, precipitating one of the nastiest brawls in league history. The incident was the crowning touch on one of the NBA's most controversial reputations, and the Pacers finally gave up on their extensive efforts to support him after his trade request.

Stojakovic is the Kings' longest-tenured player, joining the club as an unheralded 21-year-old rookie in 1998 and becoming a three-time All-Star. But he is expected to void the final season of his contract to become a free agent this summer, and Kings president of basketball operations Geoff Petrie decided to get something in return for his most successful draft pick.

Sacramento made its fourth major trade in 13 months, following deals involving Chris Webber, Bobby Jackson and Doug Christie.

Stojakovic seemed likely to earn a hefty contract when he became a free agent after declining his $8.2 million option for next season, perhaps getting the maximum deal. Instead, this season has been dismal for the Serbian star.

He is averaging just 16.5 points per game, his lowest total since his second NBA season, while making just 40.3 percent of his shots -- lowest since his rookie year -- along with 5.3 rebounds and 2.2 assists.

He has been bothered by a sprained finger, a strained groin muscle and a protruding disc in his lower back which hinders his running, jumping and shooting. He has missed eight games because of the injuries, including three straight earlier this month before receiving a cortisone shot.

The Pacers have struggled without Artest. They were 10-6 in games he played and are 11-14 without him, losing five of their last six -- including a 30-point loss to Cleveland on Tuesday night. Jermaine O'Neal has hinted that players might be concerned about possibly getting traded along with Artest, and it could be affecting their performance.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2306212
Old 01-25-06, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotes_geek
Indiana CLEARLY comes out ahead in this deal, but all things considered, I don't think Sacramento did all that bad either.

Best case, Artest behaves and Sacramento, who's only 3.5 games out of the playoffs, gets back into the playoff mix.

Worst case, Artest blows up on day 1 and the Kings don't go anywhere, but they weren't going anywhere with Peja anyways. Plus, during they offseason they'd still have a tradeable asset in Artest because there are ALWAYS teams willing to take chances on bad guys who have mad game. Peja could have just left them high and dry by walking for nothing.
Indy is addition by subtraction in some ways, just like Memphis. Get rid of the malcontents, although Jackson is still there.

Even if he blows up, Artest's contract isn't that long and I'm sure someone is willing to take on a decent sized contract with a talented(when sane) player, as you stated as well.

And yeah, they wouldn't have offered Peja the max anyway. Kings have become cheap over the past few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trdi
I still think that Kings are not happy (they got a player who is not the happiest guy ever as their player), Peja is very unhappy, Artest is unhappy, JO is unhappy... the only one who is a little bit happy is Bird.
Well, Kings aren't going anywhere. They weren't going to keep Peja anyway. There were strong indications of reluctance from the Maloofs regarding Peja's future, likely max contract.

Artest....well he's always unhappy some how. O'Neal will open up once he sees what a shooter can do for him. They both can benefit each other greatly. O'neal's not Duncan but he still attracts attention.

Old 01-25-06, 07:02 PM
SpursReport Team Member

There was a report out a few days ago that Artest said he'd leave any team in the West as soon as he was a free agent. From the quotes of his agent, it's clear he didn't want to go to Sacramento.

This means he got woodshedded in the meeting with Pacer management and was told his actions to null a trade would result in a year long suspension without pay because he'd be in violation of his contract. So he opted to play for Sacramento.

Now is Artest the type who'd sulk or balk at playing there because he didn't get his way? Duh! Do you think he will be a happy camper and good teammate? If I was Sacramento, I'd have backed out of this deal quicker than a fox can get out of a hen house.