News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-06, 09:38 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Beno and Oberto need to play more. FREE BENO

Need more playing time

Beno looked great tonight. He needs to play more point than NVE. He hit the wall last year but dont forget he looked pretty damn good alot of the time too. Oberto has had like 3 straight good games. He;s starting to look more comfortable in the system
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-24-06, 09:39 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

I agree....esp Beno
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-24-06, 09:41 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Thats kind of the problem of having a DEEEEP bench

But I agree give em more time.
Old 01-24-06, 09:41 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Yeah against the Bobcats I can look like an All-Star more. I agree Beno should be played over Nick. In fact Nick should be locked in a box till the playoffs. As for Fabio. He's been great. He will be playing more at least till Rob comes back.
Old 01-24-06, 09:42 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzG
I agree....esp Beno
Agree 100%. Beno>NVE

NVE needs to be like 2003 Kerr, hit some big shots in the playoffs, but Beno must be the backup, like Speedy.
Old 01-24-06, 09:46 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Somebody needs to make a "Free Beno" shirt

(Like the "Free Darko" shirts)
Old 01-24-06, 09:52 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Deity
Yeah against the Bobcats I can look like an All-Star more. I agree Beno should be played over Nick. In fact Nick should be locked in a box till the playoffs. As for Fabio. He's been great. He will be playing more at least till Rob comes back.
Actually Bobcats are much improved, although they are suffering from m any injuries. When they were healthy they were a tough matchup.

"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at this rock perhaps 100 times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the 101st blow, it will split in two and I know it was not that blow that did it. But all that had gone before." - Jacob Riis
Old 01-24-06, 09:56 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Ok, let's say "it was just the bobcats".

Beno 17pts 8asts
NVE 0pts 3asts

Free Beno
Old 01-24-06, 09:58 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurs Brazil

Beno 17pts 8asts
NVE 0pts 3asts

Free Beno
Beno = 23

NVE = 63
Old 01-24-06, 09:59 PM

Quote:

Beno 17pts 8asts
NVE 0pts 3asts

Free Beno
When he's consistent Pop will let him play.

"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at this rock perhaps 100 times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the 101st blow, it will split in two and I know it was not that blow that did it. But all that had gone before." - Jacob Riis
Old 01-24-06, 10:01 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grego
When he's consistent Pop will let him play.
kinda hard when he hasnt been getting much if any playing time. I liked the NVE pickup but he hasnt been doing much. Beno couldnt be worse at backup point. He's a good talent
Old 01-24-06, 10:04 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

its just the bobcats. but let him build some confidence.

its obvious that he has game.

he's done this before way back when he used to get to play. particular a few games where he started in place of an injured parker
Old 01-24-06, 10:04 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

In 42 games so far NVE also is not consistent

When he shots that 3 early in the clock I want to kill him
Old 01-24-06, 10:09 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Beno may play more in back to backs. Good experience for Oberto. He is turning out to be a very good pickup for the Spurs.
Old 01-24-06, 10:13 PM

Ummm...

Where the Spurs even playing a real NBA team tonight?
Brooklyn's #1 Spurs fan!!!
Old 01-24-06, 10:14 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALSPURS
Ummm...

as was already mentioned...he RAN the offense very well, hit shots with people in his face, etc. Yes...they were playing a NBA team

What exactly has NVE done in 42 games that Beno shouldnt get more than 5 minutes a game he has avg over just 24 games he has played in?
Old 01-24-06, 10:18 PM

NVE has not lit it up , thats for sure.

But Beno has not been great this year in the limited time he has got this year, and tonights game was vrs. a bad team.So I would not put much stock into a game that he was playing when the Spurs are up by 20 and the Bobcats second unit for most of the night.
Old 01-24-06, 10:26 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Beno was in in the 2nd quarter and he helped built that big lead.

Quote:
Ummm...

NVE and Beno played against the same team. Beno played well, NVE did nothing.
Old 01-24-06, 10:29 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:

But Beno has not been great this year in the limited time he has got this year, and tonights game was vrs. a bad team.So I would not put much stock into a game that he was playing when the Spurs are up by 20 and the Bobcats second unit for most of the night.
How much can you even show or try to improve in with just playing in 24 games and only avg alittle over 5 mins over that span though?

Beno hit the rookie wall last year and didnt have a good finals series but I think people tend to foget he did a lot of good things last year too. I like NVE but he just isnt RUNNING the team very well IMO when he comes in. I just think Beno should get some more time to see how he responds.
Old 01-24-06, 10:30 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Beno should get as many minutes as Nick because he's a better shooter and passer. His handle was weak but it looked like he's improved that to some degree. Like Oberto, he just needs time to get his confidence up.
Old 01-24-06, 10:35 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:

lets be real here. So far NVE has sucked ass with the Spurs. in almost 16 mins a game he is putting up a whole 5.6 points a game and 1.7 assts. dizzy is right in that he doesnt run the Spurs offense that well either. You say Beno hasnt done well this year but he barely plays and has only played in like half the games NVE has played in. Its time to give the guy some more time. NVE isnt getting it done.
Old 01-24-06, 10:42 PM

Wo...we have some closet Beno fans up in here....

Hey , I like Beno, but the guy did choke up when it was for the Championship.

He id do alot f god things last year, I did watch almost every game last year , so I know whats he can do.

But when a player can not handle there team under pressure . he gets no love form me.
Old 01-24-06, 10:43 PM

Quote:
kinda hard when he hasnt been getting much if any playing time. I liked the NVE pickup but he hasnt been doing much. Beno couldnt be worse at backup point. He's a good talent
Haha, sounds familiar... Nazr. I get to pick on you since you were the first to answer like that.

Nazr not giving a lot of time, because he wasn't consistent....

Reasons given: not enough time to be consistent...............

Last edited by Grego; 01-24-06 at 10:46 PM.
Old 01-24-06, 10:52 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:

He id do alot f god things last year, I did watch almost every game last year , so I know whats he can do.

But when a player can not handle there team under pressure . he gets no love form me.
Wow...he struggles in the finals and thats it...no more chances? The guy was a rookie playing in the NBA finals...shouldnt he get some slack for not being nails or not being a seasons vet? You dont just throw him away because he had some struggles as a ROOKIE at times...esp in a NBA finals. You have to see if he at least has learned some things in his second year. ROOKIES dont always come ready to handle a championship level team under pressure on the BIGGEST stage. You have to get NBA experience

Tony Parker had his growing pains...and even under pressure when he was learning...does he get no love?

Quote:
Haha, sounds familiar... Nazr. I get to pick on you since you were the first to answer like that.

Nazr has played in 39 games and is avg 13 mins a game. He's played in like 15 more games than Beno and getting like 8 more mins a game than Beno has gotten in his few games. Lets not turn this into a Nazr thread though
Old 01-24-06, 10:53 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:

EXCELLENT point. That's exactly what I've been echoing for the past few weeks. More PT MAY equal more (or better) consistency. You have to have one before you can expect the other.

. . . . now let's here it from all the "that's what practice is for" posters.
Old 01-24-06, 10:55 PM
MomBear

The bench played great tonight... congrats to them all

Let's be happy for the guys...

or else...

Old 01-24-06, 10:55 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:

wow. You sure give on players easy. Did you do the same when Parker and Manu went though struggles with the spurs as rookies?
Old 01-24-06, 10:56 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:

Nazr has played in 39 games and is avg 13 mins a game. He's played in like 15 more games than Beno and getting like 8 more mins a game than Beno has gotten in his few games. Lets not turn this into a Nazr thread though
Let's not confuse 'average minutes' with being involved in a consistent rotation. I suspect Nazr's minutes are up due to injuries (Horry, in particular).

But you're right. . . let's not make this another Mohammad thread.

Old 01-24-06, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Wow...he struggles in the finals and thats it...no more chances? The guy was a rookie playing in the NBA finals...shouldnt he get some slack for not being nails or not being a seasons vet? You dont just throw him away because he had some struggles as a ROOKIE at times...esp in a NBA finals. You have to see if he at least has learned some things in his second year. ROOKIES dont always come ready to handle a championship level team under pressure on the BIGGEST stage. You have to get NBA experience

Tony Parker had his growing pains...and even under pressure when he was learning...does he get no love?

13mpg is still not a lot. He's played more minutes yes, but I'm just pointing out something I saw unique. Don't worry, I'm not username. I'm not going to make it into a Rasho thread vs Nazr thread. I really don't care because its not like Nazr is anything special. But I'm sure you know that already because you read up on your spurs info.

But I just thought it was interesting. People are interesting....

Old 01-24-06, 11:06 PM
SpursReport Team Member

There should be a single Rasho/ Nazr thread where people can dump as much as they care to. It would be the one-stop shop for Rasho vs. Nazr. Instead of all these threads popping up or having the topic invade other threads (like this one).

How 'bout it mods? Since the topic is obviously popular amongst Spurs fans, there should be a single thread dedicated to it.
Old 01-24-06, 11:25 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

tony parker choked in the playoffs. dissapeared. etc...

but each year, w/ experience, he's come back better and better. w/ a vengence....and here he is now. breaking out.

beno udrih and darko milicic need to go start their own team.
Old 01-24-06, 11:36 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

What was interesting was that Pop played Beno with the starters the second quarter- he was with Tim, Tony, Rasho, and Bruce He sure did look comfortable with that group- didn't he.

Let us not confuse situations. Beno hasn't even played in half the games- most of his games have been garbage minutes. He has only had a couple of opportunities to really get out there and play and he has actually done well in them for the most part.

Quote:
Don't worry, I'm not username. I'm not going to make it into a Rasho thread vs Nazr thread.
Kind of a strange claim when YOU are the one who brought Nazr into a discussion about Beno in the first place.

But I do ask the thread starter- whose minutes do you cut to get Oberto on the court?? I called for Oberto to have his chance a week and a half ago and no one believed me.
Old 01-24-06, 11:38 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Beno is, IMO, better for this team than NVE. He's a better defender, has fresher legs, and is at a stage in his career where he is continuing to look forward. What NVE has over Beno is experience and clutchness, but once we get Manu and Horry back, plus Tony's improved play together with Finley and Barry, I don't think we need more clutchness.

NVE should really be meant for that 03 Steve Kerr role. Reserve clutchness when all else fails.

But Pop decided early in the season to let NVE get all the backup PG minutes. That was a mistake. Yet, there are still 40 games to get Beno back into the rotation.

Don't blow it, Pop! Free Beno!
Old 01-24-06, 11:38 PM
The Master Baiter

At the beginning of the season I actually thought Beno would be the backup and NVE would come in for spot offense. Of course that isn't the case now. I actually do think Beno should get a chance because he is a little better on defense. But I still like NVE. Even though his transition 3's can be questionable, that is what he does. He makes game changing plays in clutch situations (at least should be).

I think Beno is being crucified for the wrong reasons. He struggled against a smothering press in the finals as a rookie. when was the last time a rookie performed like an all star in the finals? Magic in 1980? Anyways, he is obviously very capable of taking over for TP in a backup role. I just hope that if Pop does decide to put ahead of NVE, he does it soon so Beno can get valuable minutes before the playoffs.
Old 01-24-06, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user name
Kind of a strange claim when YOU are the one who brought Nazr into a discussion about Beno in the first place.

But I do ask the thread starter- whose minutes do you cut to get Oberto on the court?? I called for Oberto to have his chance a week and a half ago and no one believed me.
Because its a similar situation. People made claims he needs time, people made claims Nazr needs time. Well there you go.

Anyway, it can only get better if Oberto gets better, especially with a likely matchup with Detroit if Spurs get to the Finals.

Old 01-25-06, 05:57 AM
SpursReport Team Member

FREE BENO!!!
FREE BENO!!!
FREE BENO!!!
Old 01-25-06, 09:05 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab
At the beginning of the season I actually thought Beno would be the backup and NVE would come in for spot offense. Of course that isn't the case now. I actually do think Beno should get a chance because he is a little better on defense. But I still like NVE. Even though his transition 3's can be questionable, that is what he does. He makes game changing plays in clutch situations (at least should be).

I think Beno is being crucified for the wrong reasons. He struggled against a smothering press in the finals as a rookie. when was the last time a rookie performed like an all star in the finals? Magic in 1980? Anyways, he is obviously very capable of taking over for TP in a backup role. I just hope that if Pop does decide to put ahead of NVE, he does it soon so Beno can get valuable minutes before the playoffs.
well said. When the Spurs picked up NVE it was thought by many that he wouldnt get big mins and be a lock to be the MAIN backup to parker. Beno is a good player who had some problems as a ROOKIE in his first year. Nothing that doesnt happen to tons of rookies. He should at the least be sharing duty with NVE on a regular basis. not just spot duty in about half the games
Old 01-25-06, 09:24 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Beno was more than adequate in last year's championship season. In fact, he exceeded expectations against everyone except the Pistons in the final series.

Fast forward to this year, and he's spent too much time on the bench. I agree, FREE BENO.
NVE looks more and more like the second coming of Terry Porter, except he's not as good as Terry (gulp).
Old 01-25-06, 09:28 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

After yesterday's game coach Bud said that Oberto is working on his shot with Chip.

When he arrived he couldn't shoot, last night he made Js and FTs.
Old 01-25-06, 09:30 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

I totally agree. The Nick Van Exel "Experiment" has been a complete failure in my opinion.
Old 01-25-06, 09:44 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:

even Tony did choke at the finals (2003). Speedy and Steve Kerr bailed him out for god's sake. NVE is done, IMO. its time for Beno.
Old 01-25-06, 10:17 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I can understand Pop wanting to give Nick some serious court time to get him acclimated...but Beno should be the main backup. Nick should get the reserve PG minutes, some SG minutes when we go small, and some clutch minutes in the playoffs.

Its good to see Oberto on the court, but he will likely feel the squeeze once Horry is back in the mix. If he continues his efficient play and his shooting continues to be reliable (its been great the last 2 games) he may grab some minutes from Rasho and/or Nazr.

Pop really has his work cut out for him re: establishing consistent PT/substitutions. The injuries have made some decisions for him...but he is going to have to enforce some consistency as the season winds down for us to be fine tuned for the play-offs. He has some hard decisions to make...I don't envy him that.
Old 01-25-06, 10:18 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
After yesterday's game coach Bud said that Oberto is working on his shot with Chip.

Great to know! Fabricio is the definition of hard worker!
Old 01-25-06, 10:19 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Last January- Brent Barry looked like a failed experiment, too, and he came up big in the Finals-- and this is coming from Beno's first SA fan. I would love to see Beno play more and have been impressed with his attitude, but this is NVE we're talking about. It's like giving up on Horry- like people wanted to- and look how that's turned out.
Old 01-25-06, 10:50 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:

If that works, I'll give Chip a call and see if he can train me into walking on water!
Quote:
Originally Posted by user name
Last January- Brent Barry looked like a failed experiment, too, and he came up big in the Finals-- and this is coming from Beno's first SA fan. I would love to see Beno play more and have been impressed with his attitude, but this is NVE we're talking about. It's like giving up on Horry- like people wanted to- and look how that's turned out.
I'm pleasantly impressed by your comment.
Old 01-25-06, 10:57 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
but this is NVE we're talking about
and? As Amente mentioned when he signed...the Spurs didnt necessarily bring him here to be the main backup to parker and get all those mins, but So far this season its been that way though...and NVE hasnt done much of anything. Why should Pop continue to play NVE for all the backup mins while leaving a PG on the bench who runs the offense better than he does? Beno's a good player who should be playing in more than just 24 games so far and barely a few mins a game. NVE should be used as a Kerr type role IMO and be counted on for some big shots and spot backup duty for parker. I think Beno should be the main backup to Parker...he's just a better natural PG for this offense
Old 01-25-06, 10:57 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

^^I'm willing to give NVE more than 3 months time because I have seen what he has done in the past. I also know that Beno will have his day- he's 23 years old.

http://sportal.siol.net/default.asp?...20601231622070

I believe Beno says here that he has no interest in going to another team because he realizes he is in a good situation to develop here.
Old 01-25-06, 10:59 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

NVE has had half the season and hasnt been impressive at all. No one is saying BENCH him for good but its a waste to leave Beno sitting on the bench for the majority of the time. NVE doesnt even run the offense as I mentioned earlier
Old 01-25-06, 10:59 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
and? As Amente mentioned when he signed...the Spurs didnt necessarily bring him here to be the main backup to parker and get all those mins, but So far this season its been that way though...and NVE hasnt done much of anything. Why should Pop continue to play NVE for all the backup mins while leaving a PG on the bench who runs the offense better than he does? Beno's a good player who should be playing in more than just 24 games so far and barely a few mins a game. NVE should be used as a Kerr type role IMO and be counted on for some big shots and spot backup duty for parker. I think Beno should be the main backup to Parker...he's just a better natural PG for this offense
What is interesting is that Beno has said he knew when Nick signed that he wouldn't get to play as much and that he would learn from NVE.
Old 01-25-06, 11:02 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:

I think that if Oberto can stand 10 - 15 feet away from the basket and make that shot with some consistency, he will be worth his weight in gold come playoffs. He'll give us what Antonio Mcdyess gives the Pistons. Nothing special but efficient.

Beno. I've said it before, we need more Beno and less Nick the not so Quick. Beno is younger, fresher and looks hungry to prove himself. Free Beno.