News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 01-24-06, 02:28 PM
SpursReport Rookie

artest done deal

artest is in sacto now. on espn.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2304512
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-24-06, 02:30 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Countdown till "Magnificent: The Walking Oxymoron" proclaims Ron Artest the new Jordan, 5...4...3...2...1...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-24-06, 02:30 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpurInDallas
Countdown till "Magnificent: The Walking Oxymoron" proclaims Ron Artest the new Jordan, 5...4...3...2...1...
oh God no
Old 01-24-06, 02:31 PM
The Chosen One(Moderator)

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm Peja/O'neal... alot of open jumpshots for Peja, sounds pretty good to me. The trade with the Clips might have been better from an athlectic stand point, but this is pretty good for BOTH teams IMO.

I'm Batman's cousin
Old 01-24-06, 02:31 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

How ironic that after all these Artest rumours and potential trades - it was the initial trade that was dismissed long ago - that actually comes to fruition.
Old 01-24-06, 02:32 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

great trade, now we can all get on with our lives!
Old 01-24-06, 02:36 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malice
great trade, now we can all get on with our lives!
We cant because Kobe is the new Jordan NOW and _allas is tied with San Antonio for first place in the Southwest.
Old 01-24-06, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB
How ironic that after all these Artest rumours and potential trades - it was the initial trade that was dismissed long ago - that actually comes to fruition.

Yeah, it truely is. I think they wanted to see how Peja would do this year and apparently he isn't giving them what they want(obviously having a bad year coupled with injuries).

Interesting deal. Bonzi and Artest on the same team for the rest of the year. Oh joy!

"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at this rock perhaps 100 times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the 101st blow, it will split in two and I know it was not that blow that did it. But all that had gone before." - Jacob Riis
Old 01-24-06, 02:41 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

coutdown tell spurs should try to trade for stephen jackson thread to start
Old 01-24-06, 02:44 PM
SpursReport Rookie

beat me to it
damn
i wanted to be the first
SHIZZZZZZIT
Old 01-24-06, 02:46 PM

Pacers to Trade Ron Artest to Kings for Stojakovic, People Familiar Say
Jan. 24 (Bloomberg) -- The Indiana Pacers agreed to send Ron Artest to the Sacramento Kings for Peja Stojakovic in a trade of former National Basketball Association All-Stars, people familiar with the transaction said.

The 26-year-old Artest, who was suspended for the final 73 games last season for a brawl with fans, averaged 19.6 points and 4.7 rebounds in 16 games with Indiana this season. He hasn't played since early December, when he asked to be traded and the team benched him because his behavior had become a distraction.

Stojakovic, 28, is averaging 16.4 points, second on the Kings, and 5.3 rebounds this season. He is a three-time All- Star.

The transaction is pending final approval from the league, said the people who requested anonymity because the deal isn't official.

Kings spokesman Troy Hanson and Pacers spokesman Jeff McCoy both declined to comment. Mark Stevens, Artest's agent, also wouldn't comment.

Artest told the Indianapolis Star on Dec. 11 that he wanted to be traded and that he didn't like playing for Pacers coach Rick Carlisle. He also said he wanted to join an NBA team that would allow him to shoot more often.

Pacers President Donnie Walsh said he would try to accommodate Artest's request and that the former Defensive Player of the Year wouldn't practice or play with the team.

The NBA fined Artest $10,000 on Dec. 17 for publicly asking to be traded, saying his comments were detrimental to the league. A day later, he told the Star he didn't want to be traded and would like to return to the Pacers.

`Last Straw'

``This is kind of the last straw on a lot of issues,'' Walsh told reporters on Dec. 12.

The NBA's Defensive Player of the Year for the 2003-04 season, Artest has been disciplined by the league numerous times, including last year's suspension for his part in a fight with fans in Detroit.

The 16th overall pick in the 1999 draft by Chicago, Artest spent 2 1/2 seasons with the Bulls before being traded to Indiana. He's averaged 14.6 points and 4.7 rebounds over his career, increasing those totals to 17.3 points and 6.3 rebounds in 26 postseason contests.

Stojakovic was in his eighth season with Sacramento, which drafted him 14th overall in the 1996 draft. He opted to play in Greece for two seasons before signing with the Kings in 1998.

The 6-foot-10 Stojakovic moved into the Kings' starting lineup for the 2000-01 season and earned the first of three straight All-Star Game appearances the next year. He's averaged 18.3 points and 5.0 rebounds over his career, shooting 89 percent from the foul line and 40 percent from 3-point range.

link
Old 01-24-06, 02:49 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I think it is a sorry trade. I think this is the turning point for when Sacto jumped the shark. As for Indiana, I don't see Peja fitting in that well. Weren't there quotes from Jermaine saying he didn't want Peja because he didn't fit into what they were doing there as a team?
Old 01-24-06, 02:59 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I love it. Great trade for the Kings. They will now turn it around and make the playoffs, and Lord willing, take the Lakers' spot.

I don't like the trade as much for Indy. Peja is nowhere near an impact player. I think he's an okay complimentary piece, but that's about it. The best part is getting rid of the Artest baggage and moving on.
Old 01-24-06, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jones
I think it is a sorry trade. I think this is the turning point for when Sacto jumped the shark. As for Indiana, I don't see Peja fitting in that well. Weren't there quotes from Jermaine saying he didn't want Peja because he didn't fit into what they were doing there as a team?
Well they can rent Peja for a short time. He's due for another contract soon. For Sac, they didnt want to pay him the max. He's had a bad year with injuries and career low numbers. His value is low and so is Artests so getting fair value out of them would be difficult.

O'neal might not have wanted Peja, but if he gives him a shooter to help keep defenders honest, I think O'Neal will change his mind.

Now all Indy has to do is rid themselves of Jackson, and they have all the malcontents of their team.

"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at this rock perhaps 100 times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the 101st blow, it will split in two and I know it was not that blow that did it. But all that had gone before." - Jacob Riis
Old 01-24-06, 03:00 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I think the Kings got the better end of this deal. With Artest, and now Peja gone, they can develop some of their other players that play Peja's position. Artest will be able to help Sac, as long as he can keep his head in the right place.
Old 01-24-06, 03:03 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

My second favorite team- Sac- is now officially dismantled. Gone are all my guys- Vlade, Peja, Hedo, even Christie and Webber. I think it will be good for Peja.
Old 01-24-06, 03:04 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I'm curious to see how Artest fits into the Sac offense. At first it seems like a bull in a china shop but we'll see.
Old 01-24-06, 03:07 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcl11oc
I think the Kings got the better end of this deal. With Artest, and now Peja gone, they can develop some of their other players that play Peja's position. Artest will be able to help Sac, as long as he can keep his head in the right place.
The thing is, Indiana was geetting absolutely nothing out of Artest. He was simply sitting on the sideline and looking depressed. Now at least they have a #2 who can shoot and make room in the paint for O'neal. I think the Pacers have a good chance of at least getting the 4th seed out of the east (depending on whether Miami can stay healthy, maybe #3) and losing to Detroit in the East semifinals.

Hey Crawford! This is for you!!

Old 01-24-06, 03:11 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by user name
My second favorite team- Sac- is now officially dismantled. Gone are all my guys- Vlade, Peja, Hedo, even Christie and Webber. I think it will be good for Peja.
I really enjoyed watching this team a few years ago,but it seems as time went on they just kept falling further and further behind.I'm pretty sure this move helps Indiana more than it does the Kings..
Old 01-24-06, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcl11oc
Or Bonzi and Artest could burn down Arco arena. Gives new meaning to rebuilding.

Old 01-24-06, 03:16 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Its a great trade for Sactown, They get a little toughness and now if they can get/stay healthy they are at least a 'good' team. Adleman needs to get his sht together now ad get this team winnign soem ballgames
Old 01-24-06, 03:18 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

yeah come one Sactown, get your shiit together and knock these damn lakers out of the playoffs!
Old 01-24-06, 03:24 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I don't know... Kings have nothing to lose, they are not winning at the time and Peja would go at the end of the season anyway so...

As for Indy, I don't know, they could probably have got worse, so it's ok. If they don't like him, they can still let him and relieve themselves finacially a bit.
Old 01-24-06, 03:32 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

YES
Old 01-24-06, 03:44 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnificent
YES
All teams were figthing for Artest, but Sacramento managed to steal him. Well done, guys.
Old 01-24-06, 03:48 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Old 01-24-06, 03:55 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I wonder if Peja will start being effective again a la Vince Carter now that he got his wish.

"We would have two less championships here if it wasn't for Manu Ginobili," Popovich said. "In my book, Manu Ginobili is the stud of the world."
Old 01-24-06, 03:59 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

well, let me go ahead and post instead of just saying "YES".

here's what i think. Peja is done. his time with the kings is now over. webber, divac, christie; players that complimented peja's game are no more. peja has proven that he cannot play to win. time to get someone that can play some defense and put the ball on the floor. have no idea what's gonna happen with the new lineup, but all i can say is that it IS a win/win situation. we already suck now. hopefully we can't get any worse.
Old 01-24-06, 03:59 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I think we have seen a steady decline in Peja's game and I wonder if he has the toughness to compete in the East. Indiana might have been better served getting a few pieces rathen than just one. I will give Peja a chance as Indiana is well coached and has better players to assist him on defense.
Old 01-24-06, 04:08 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

peja can bring alot. 18-24ppg player. sadly his game has declined since that noticeable mvp running season that he had a few years back. sadly the pacers championship hopes just went down the crapper. the wallace boys have never had problems gaurding oneal, so that means a one on one matchup with guess who...........prince. peja has a hard time with long defenders. they better hope they don't meet the pistons in the playoffs.
Old 01-24-06, 04:13 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Sometimes a change in scenery is all a player needs to get better and stop having bogus injuries. I think Peja will be fine.

Will Artest fit the King's "Princeton Offense"? Or will Adeleman change his system? I am looking forward to the Bonzi-Artest soap opera that is sure to develop.
Old 01-24-06, 04:14 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Good trade for Sacramento. Peja is a good regular season player. He can do nothing in the playoffs.
Old 01-24-06, 04:23 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I hope Peja lifts his game to another level in new team. But I wouldn't bet on it.
Old 01-24-06, 04:27 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

peja is gonna bring the same game he braught in sacramento. he's gonna shine during the regular season because most power forwards can't handle oneal one on one. but playoff time is still hiding time for peja.
Old 01-24-06, 04:34 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
peja is gonna bring the same game he braught in sacramento. he's gonna shine during the regular season because most power forwards can't handle oneal one on one. but playoff time is still hiding time for peja.
That's what YOU hope. I said what I hope. Your evaluation of players changes drastically when they join/leave your team.
Old 01-24-06, 04:45 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

nope. nothing changes. i've been wanting to get rid of peja for a while. he is one dimensional.
Old 01-24-06, 04:52 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Now if only the Kings had a shot blocker they could play some D.
Old 01-24-06, 05:00 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

makes me sick to see brad get run over time and time again. consistantly being punked on the glass
Old 01-24-06, 05:06 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I'm just glad this whole thing is over.

Quote:

Dude, do you realize who you just brought in? Peja will choke in the playoffs , but he won't destroy the rest of the team as well. Have fun man, you're in for a wild ride.

---

****!!!!! It's not even over! I friggin hate Artest
Old 01-24-06, 05:10 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Well this trade looks to benefit the Kings if and only if Ron Artest behaves and doesn't become a mishap. Now if Peja gets his head out his ass and starts playing like he was a couple years ago the Pacers are well endowned too.

And just has I type that Stephan A Smith reports Artest doesn't want to play for the Kings.
Old 01-24-06, 05:13 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
makes me sick to see brad get run over time and time again.
And all the people here who wanted him over Rasho for that really huge contract he got. Imagine the complaining we would hear about it.

Quote:
nope. nothing changes. i've been wanting to get rid of peja for a while. he is one dimensional.
I think Peja is a better defender than he gets credit for. Obviously no Artest- but not as poor as some people think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Deity
Well this trade looks to benefit the Kings if and only if Ron Artest behaves and doesn't become a mishap.

And just has I type that Stephan A Smith reports Artest doesn't want to play for the Kings.
Old 01-24-06, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user name
I think Peja is a better defender than he gets credit for. Obviously no Artest- but not as poor as some people think.
He may not be as porious as some people say, but he's decent at best on a good day. He's just not that lateral, athletic. He doesn't take much advantage of his size at all.

Old 01-24-06, 07:56 PM

I am going to lock it so no one thinks its still one
Brooklyn's #1 Spurs fan!!!
Closed Thread