News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 01-23-06, 01:11 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

The Pathetic Toronto Barneys

While everyone is caught up in the sensational craziness called Kobe Bryant's Night tonight, I am sitting in front of my computer coughing blood out and sulking.

Kobe Bryant exposed the Toronto Raptors to be the worst defensive team in the league tonight, and also our inability to hand a full- court press.

Kobe went from "merely good" to "out of this world unconscious" when our "better" perimeter defenders got into foul trouble. BUT other teams would probably threw triple- teams at him to deny him the ball. Freaking 81 points, 81 freaking points. When this game is played over and over again, the whole world will be able to see how Sam Mitchell used the same lineup (besides two substitutions that he reversed a minute after) from the start of second half to 2:35 in the fourth. He played players like Matt Bonner and Jalen Rose who couldn't guard a pylon for 22 straight minutes. How on earth did Bonner not get benched after having the ball slapped back to his face when he tried to post up Odom. It's a clear proof that Sam is in love with that fool.

And don't bother telling me that Kobe was simply "on fire" and "unstoppable", he was. But why the hell is a 6'0 rookie and Jalen Rose taking turns guarding him???? Jim Todd, the Raptors assisdant coach said during half time said the strategy is to "lay off Kobe, and let him get his, and just focus on the other guys." Guess what, that's exactly what we did! GOOD COACHING STRATEGY! I think the moral of the story is, when you see that a strategy to beat the Lakers has been effective all season - triple-team Kobe and challenge his teammates to score - Don't prescribe the exact opposite strategy - allow Kobe to get his and shut down the rest of the team. Why couldn't Sam have made in game adjustments instead of watching him in awe like me. ARGH. Instead of using timeouts to control the crowd or send double- teams, Sam Mitchell simply became a spectator.

This season has been the most shiettest regular season for me, full of lows. First, we lost to the Maccabi, a european team in the preseason, then we start 1- 15, then Vince Carter pisses on our face in our own damn house (not that I was any displeased), now a record- setting perforamance by Kobe which will appear on ESPN classic no doubt in a few years. The whole wide world is gonna witness our franchise player with a decent night of 18 points and Kobe fricking Bryant with 81 points.

I would have wrote more except I cannot see out of my right eye after repetitively punching myself in the face 81 times. Time to get laid and go to bed happy.

Last edited by Alamo Girl; 01-23-06 at 01:14 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-23-06, 01:15 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-23-06, 01:15 AM
SpursReport Team Member

toronto barneys

slapping a yellow "support our troops" sticker on the back of your gas guzzling SUV in the middle of a war for oil makes you an a-holes

cooking is not a chore, cooking is an obsession.
Old 01-23-06, 01:17 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

feel better ?

look at the bright side, u can't get any worse

but seriously, some nights a player is on fire, you could play 6 on 5 and u wouldn't stop him, what can you do ?
Old 01-23-06, 01:22 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Sorry this had to be against your Raptors AG, I would have preferred this to happen the other night against Suckramento but ... well ... history is history.
Old 01-23-06, 01:22 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA Spurs 2006
feel better ?

look at the bright side, u can't get any worse

but seriously, some nights a player is on fire, you could play 6 on 5 and u wouldn't stop him, what can you do ?
Not putting Jose Calderon a 6'0 rookie on him would be a starter.
SIGH.
Old 01-23-06, 01:39 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Don't get too down on the Raptors. Jalen and Mike James have been playing well, (albeit, while looking for a trade or new contracts) CV, is having a most respectable rookie year, I also like Jose Calderon, (he seems to be a real point guard), and they are the only game in town. (If you discount the Phoenix Suns and Steve Nash). And don't forget about Chris Bosh, he may be an All Star this year.

The Mavericks also let Kobe score 62 points to their entire teams 61 points and this is the team that is tied for the top spot in the west with the Spurs. Please, there is no reason to go suicidal on us.

I personally happen to like Sam Mitchell. There is nothing better than the noise that comes out of the Raptors locker room. How many coaches fight with their players? You can find things to like or fun in the strangest areas of a team.

They are certainly not the dregs of the east, they are a team that is showing signs of life. Hey, they beat the Sonics, while Phoenix got beat in double overtime tonight.

Once the Raptors get back to the east I really believe they will start to make headway.

Alamo Girl, keep your chin up.

I forgot to add, Remember to vote, Election Day, Monday January 23rd, 2006.

Last edited by panacea; 01-23-06 at 03:11 AM.
Old 01-23-06, 01:54 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Haha, AG, you did what I've been thinking about doing. I've wanted to start a "The Pathetic Indiana Pacers" kind of thread for a while now, purely for venting.

Really, both of these teams just blow. At this point, I'd rather be in the Raptors position, because they have a legit chance at drafting Oden.

If I have to watch Anthony Johnson start another game, my head will explode. There's no getting around it, I will simply be left without a head after tonight's game.
Old 01-23-06, 03:01 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

well said AG
Old 01-23-06, 09:14 AM
Moderator & Chatroom Greeter

Barneys
[email protected]
Old 01-23-06, 10:54 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Oh, so you think you have problems? Well, we have to put up with this lousy 0.756 record and a superstar that's not faster than Kenyon Martin.

Signed,

Typical SR poster
Then chances are good that YOU ALMOST FREAKING KILLED ME IN THE PARKING LOT
Old 01-23-06, 11:30 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Deimos
Oh, so you think you have problems? Well, we have to put up with this lousy 0.756 record and a superstar that's not faster than Kenyon Martin.

Signed,

Typical SR poster
Thats really funny.. but I feel ya Alamo Girl

"Today's game is style over substance. He's the opposite. He's substance over style. I think he's appreciated. I don't think he's adored."
Dave Odom, Duncan's college coach
Old 01-23-06, 12:27 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I think the strategy they used was horrible, but 81 points had just as much to do with Kobe going to another level as it did with the Raptors defense being garbage.

I don't get to see the Raptors much, if ever, but looking at their roster.... they have a lot of really bad individual defenders. Aside from maybe MoPete and Bosh, I don't think anyone else could even guard a box. Doesn't Mitchell realize this? He should have schemed the defense to deny Kobe the ball and make someone else beat them. The Lakers are well-known to be very streaky (aside from Kobe). If the Raptors would have lost by letting Odom, Mihm, Parker, etc. beat them, then so be it. Generally, those guys are very inconsistant.

Anyway, the game is history.

AG --

You really shouldn't give up on your team. I know you'll always like them, regardless of what goes on and what you may say. Stick with them, as hard as that might be.

Coaches only get so much of a leash before they are toast, as you know. Sam will be out of there in a year or two max. He was thrown into the HC position WAY too soon. I'm a firm believer that coaches need to be groomed like high school players. There might be some that take the helm quickly and become very good, but most of them will flop.
Old 01-23-06, 01:43 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by missmyzte
Sorry this had to be against your Raptors AG, I would have preferred this to happen the other night against Suckramento but ... well ... history is history.

obviously we are a much better defensive team as kobe only scored 51 against us

slapping a yellow "support our troops" sticker on the back of your gas guzzling SUV in the middle of a war for oil makes you an a-holes

cooking is not a chore, cooking is an obsession.
Old 01-23-06, 01:56 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

^^^^^^
Old 01-23-06, 02:15 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

There are a lot of problems for the Raptors right now, but let's start with the most important one - your coach. This Mitch... yeap, it's worse than that Mitch in LA - and believe me you won't easily find another person on earth that can do worse than that Mitch in LA. If this guy is gone, there will be new life there, but as long as your owner is in love with him, just ... just don't watch. It's horrible even for adults.
Old 01-23-06, 08:29 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

My awesome team is 0-3 against Hawks and Raps -coma-
Old 01-23-06, 08:39 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Indeed pathetic. If a player is dropping that many points on you, run a double team at him and make him give the ball up. Basketball 101.
Old 01-23-06, 08:59 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Notorious MI21
Indeed pathetic. If a player is dropping that many points on you, run a double team at him and make him give the ball up. Basketball 101.
They were bad when they double teamed him too. They also knew how to foul him quite easily.

"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at this rock perhaps 100 times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the 101st blow, it will split in two and I know it was not that blow that did it. But all that had gone before." - Jacob Riis
Old 01-23-06, 09:26 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Notorious MI21
They did run two guys at him. He repeatedly split the double teams.
Old 01-23-06, 09:47 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by missmyzte
Like most posters here, I would have preferred it didn't happen at all...
Old 01-23-06, 11:14 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
...Time to get laid and go to bed happy.
My only question is: did you at least accomplish your last goal? Sorry couldn't resist...
Old 01-24-06, 06:35 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maldoror
They did run two guys at him. He repeatedly split the double teams.
Real double teams, not piss weak shi't. It's impossible for a player to split a real double team enough times to shoot the ball 46 times and actually make most of them.

Your a Laker fan, I wouldn't expect you to understand defense though.
Old 01-24-06, 07:39 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

AG, it's probably going to be on this weekend if ESPN has anything to say about it.