News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-06, 12:18 PM
The Chosen One(Moderator)

How many more championships do you think the Spurs SHOULD win?

(It was a thread like this I think in the offseason...couldn't find it though) Ofcourse this team would not have anything to prove and 3 championships are a great feat...so don't flame me alright.

In other words how many more do you think the Tim Duncan Era Spurs should(looking at the league in present and the future) get...IMO,ATLEAST 2 MORE. I think with some "staying healthy" luck it could surpass that, but looking at he league right now and the Spurs team as a whole...I think they should atleast win a couple more rings.

I'm Batman's cousin

Last edited by Flipmode Master; 01-18-06 at 01:11 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-18-06, 12:32 PM
SpursReport Rookie

i really think 4more, because TP, gino and future pick will keep our high level...
moreover i see tim duncan oing a career like abdul jabar, i mean to play old with nice moove again...

then lebron james will be at the top for 10 years...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-18-06, 12:34 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

2 or 3, as long as the big three are healthy and in Spurs uniforms
Old 01-18-06, 12:35 PM
The Master Baiter

I think there will be a pretty good rivalry between the Spurs and Pistons for a good couple of years. But I think the Spurs should get at least 2-3 more. They are at a point where TD is the oldest of their big three, and although he is the focal point, he does not have to have a superstar game for them to win anymore, although he will to beat the Pistons. Not to mention he will not be involved with Olympics so he will have his summers off. And Pop is good at plugging in the right veteran free agents. I remember when we thought we were screwed because noone could replace Sjax, or Kerr, or Trex, etc. But we have managed fine.
Old 01-18-06, 12:36 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Besides the obvious answer that I'd like them to win it all every year, 3 more is the number that I'd really like the Duncan-era Spurs to get to. That would give Tim the same number of rings as MJ and means you have to talk of the Spurs as one of the top 3 dynasties ever.

Six also sets the bar pretty high meaning another team like the Rockets or Knicks can't come along and win a ring and claim themselves to be back on our level. It cements our Spurs legacy.
Old 01-18-06, 12:47 PM
SpursReport Rookie

1 or 2 are in the bag, here's hoping for 3.
Old 01-18-06, 12:59 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

2 or 3
Old 01-18-06, 01:01 PM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Old 01-18-06, 01:02 PM
MomBear

1,000,000 :op
Old 01-18-06, 01:16 PM
SpursReport Rookie

1 or 2 more
Old 01-18-06, 01:19 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Too much can happen. To consider yourself entitled to multiple championships just because you have a great team is exceedingly optimistic... injuries, luck, other teams... all kinds of factors get into play.

Honestly, if the Spurs get even just 1 more, you can't complain. You'd feel they could have done better, but it's easy to demand wins while sitting on the couch drinking beer.

If they get 2, that's fantastic... bordering legend territory. That should meet expectations.

Beyond that, well, that's asking too much IMO... too many rights and too little wrongs. Can it be done? sure. Is it likely? I don't think so. But if it happens, I won't be b!tching about it, that's for sure
Old 01-18-06, 01:20 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I think detroit has given us some healthy competition. I would say 2 more though, but none will be back to back! (I hope not, but thats just how I feel)
Old 01-18-06, 01:21 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

I would say 2.

I look at the make up of the league and the reality is only 4 (maybe 5) teams are in position to be able to challenge for the championship over the next 2-3 years.

Spurs, Pistons, Miami Heat, Phoenix or Dallas (take your pick).

Of those teams, I still see Detroit and San Antonio as (by far) the strongest of those teams, so in esscence it still comes down to the Spurs and Pistons.

Duncan is almost 30, Ginobili is 28 and Parker is still only 23.

Barring injury, I don't see the Spurs NOT winning at least another championship or two. The Big 3 are too good and still relatively young and the franchise has a knack for adding the right pieces to complement them. Unless RC Buford and Pop leave the team, I don't see a reason to believe that will change.
Old 01-18-06, 01:30 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amente
I think so too, one more and that would just about do it and solidify Tim as one of the best ever (He already is I know, but it would put him with some ELITE Company at 4), it would also mean he has more than Kobe and Shaq . One more is NEEDED and they should win one more, if they don't win any more than that I will not cry because 4 in a 8 year span or so is just amazing and not many fans have tasted that feat.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 01-18-06, 01:38 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Old 01-18-06, 01:44 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

1 or 2.
Old 01-18-06, 01:46 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I would also say 2. As long as our core remains solid and no major injuries occur, we are the biggest contender every year.

"We would have two less championships here if it wasn't for Manu Ginobili," Popovich said. "In my book, Manu Ginobili is the stud of the world."
Old 01-18-06, 02:49 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I see Duncan winning 3 more before he calls it quits.

Right now everything depends on keeping our big 3 together and Pop as the coach. Has anyone noticed he is starting to look old.
Old 01-18-06, 03:29 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

8 more in a row. A dynasty much like the one of the past Celtics.
Old 01-18-06, 03:36 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I think this group could win at least three more rings. I think this team should win more than three since we have the best player in the league with 2 additional all stars. Shaq is definitely in the declination of his career and KG does not have a decent supporting cast.
Old 01-18-06, 03:52 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I think the Spurs have a decent chance to add 1 or 2 more. The key is health and improvement. The big three are set and if Tim remains healthy they have a chance over the next three years. However, Bruce is very important to the team and is nearing the twilight of his career ( so far he hasn't showed signs of slowing but it is inevitible) plus the Spurs BOTD (big other than Duncan) is a concern, as has been discussed on ocaision here. If one ofthe overseas "farm" players (Scola, Javtokas, Ian etc) works out sooner as opposed to later (be it in a trade or actual play) I will be more confident.

I agree Mamis window is very short and KG's team has taken a step back,

Don't count out Detroit, they are not that old and came very close to winning two in a row and AT THE MOMENT the best team in the NBA.
Old 01-18-06, 03:59 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotes_geek
Besides the obvious answer that I'd like them to win it all every year, 3 more is the number that I'd really like the Duncan-era Spurs to get to. That would give Tim the same number of rings as MJ and means you have to talk of the Spurs as one of the top 3 dynasties ever.

Six also sets the bar pretty high meaning another team like the Rockets or Knicks can't come along and win a ring and claim themselves to be back on our level. It cements our Spurs legacy.
Ditto.
Old 01-18-06, 04:08 PM
FrenchConnection

if Tim's injury is becoming chronic I would say one, if he can become 100% healthy I would say 3.
Old 01-18-06, 06:30 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Old 01-18-06, 06:33 PM
SpursReport Rookie

At the moment Detriot is much better than the Spurs. I have faith that Pop will tweak us into championship shape by the playoffs, but unless we pick our game up a few levels, this topic will seem hilariously academic when we get swept from the finals.
Old 01-18-06, 06:33 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

depends on whether or not pistons stay healthy, no?

haha
Old 01-18-06, 06:35 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

i think two more are possible... but i'd put my money on only one.
Old 01-18-06, 06:37 PM

As long as Duncan stays healthy.

"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at this rock perhaps 100 times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the 101st blow, it will split in two and I know it was not that blow that did it. But all that had gone before." - Jacob Riis
Old 01-18-06, 07:48 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I'm thinking 3, I dont know if the media will ever warm to it but I think us and the Pistons could have some classic battles for the next 5-7 years. I think the Suns will be our biggest conference foe and the Pistons will have to deal with the Heat (for 2-3 more years anyway) and maybe the Pacers depending on what they can get for Artest. Everyone else is at least 2 years away from putting a team together to challenge us and the Pistons.
Old 01-18-06, 09:09 PM

I would say we can akea very nice run ..like 4 more.

But If I can get 3 more with this group...I guess will be happy.

Hopefully we have this team healthy for atleast another 5 years and lets see what can happen.
Brooklyn's #1 Spurs fan!!!
Old 01-19-06, 01:01 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Location: The capital of Texas...that's right...Sunset Valley

8-peat minimum!

"Married men live longer. Yes. And an indoor cat also lives longer. It's a furball with a broken spirit, that can only look out on a world it can never enjoy. But it does technically live longer." - Bill Maher
Old 01-19-06, 02:09 AM
SpursReport Team Member

With the current core we should win at least 2 in the next five years.

Although if we could add a big scoring/rebounding center this team would be unstoppable and win as many as four more titles before Tim retires.
Old 01-19-06, 08:38 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

it's too hard to say, championships don't grow on trees. there are other teams out there that are great now or will be great soon. they get their chance too.

Dave McNulla
Spurs Fan

Tweet Me
Old 01-19-06, 11:17 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Some of you are setting the bar really high.