News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-06, 06:32 PM
SpursReport Rookie

counterbalancing bet on detroit for nba championship?

I was able to make an $800 bet on the spurs late this summer and got 2.5 to 1 odds on my money for them to win the 2006 nba championship. Currently, their odds are around 7 to 5.

After witnessing the two blowouts by detroit and knowing that the spurs barely won the championship last year, I'm starting to get a little nervous. I can get 2 to 1 odds right now on detroit. I was thinking of betting $400 so that if they win, I break even on all bets. If the spurs win, I net $1600 (win $2000 and subtract $400 for bet on detroit).

Do you all think I should make an insurance bet on detroit?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-16-06, 06:37 PM

Have faith in the Spurs! Its called gambling, because you have to gamle in order to do it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-16-06, 06:41 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Anything can happen in an 82 game season. Injuries, player suspensions for long periods of time, teams falling off the face of earth. I'm not sure I would bet on either team this early.

Seeing how you already bet 800 bucks on S.A. I would leave it at that. Why bet on the other dominant team in the league? Kinda defeats the purpose of gambling.
Old 01-16-06, 06:42 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Detroit had 4 to 1 odds coming into the season too...

But Detroit is not going to beat SAS.
Old 01-16-06, 06:47 PM
SpursReport Team Member

what if both teams miss the finals, then you'd be out $1200...

"If he dies, he dies." - Ivan Drago
Old 01-16-06, 06:48 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

It's pretty stupid to bet on the Pistons now. You should bet on a team when the expectation is lower than it should be, not higher. Right now the expectation on the Pistons is at all-time high.
Old 01-16-06, 06:51 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

If you are a professional gambler, than your insurance bet as you described it, would be ok. However, I think that the odds you are getting are not good enough. Try waiting some more time, I am sure you will get better odds some time in the future. Pistons can not keep this pace.
Don't take those odds, they are losing money in long term.
Old 01-16-06, 08:25 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javelina
what if both teams miss the finals, then you'd be out $1200...
Anything can happen, but there are pretty good chances at least one will make it.

As for the betting. I like the logic to bet for the Pistons, but its dangerous to start putting so much money on the table and risk the potential of losing everything.
Old 01-16-06, 08:28 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

word for counterbalancing: Hedge.. much more clean and simple term ;)