SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-06, 05:22 PM
SpursReport Team Member

ESPN: Dooling and Allen suspended for fighting

Dooling and Allen suspended for fighting
ESPN.com news services

Ray Allen was suspended for three games Friday for his role in a fight with Magic guard Keyon Dooling on Wednesday.

Dooling will sit out five games for the fight and trying to confront Allen after the game.

Damien Wilkins will start in place of Allen on Friday against the Heat in Seattle.

Allen and Dooling got into a scuffle with 10:53 left in the second quarter and Seattle holding a 33-24 lead.

"I definitely regret what happened ... but it seemed as though it was unavoidable," Allen told reporters on Thursday. "It was almost like I was attacked and, you know, I responded in a way that I think any individual, any man or woman, would respond," said Allen, who is known for his calm demeanor.

"Most people thought that I was this kind, even tempered, mild-mannered individual -- and I am for the most part -- but there is a line. My buttons can be pushed."

After Orlando's Jameer Nelson missed, Allen pulled down the rebound and replays showed that he caught a glancing blow in the chin from Dooling's forearm.

At the other end of the floor, the two collided as Seattle ran a set play and Allen appeared to give Dooling a short elbow to the chest. Dooling went running at Allen and pushed him to the ground. Allen got up and tackled Dooling into the first row of seats along the sideline and onto some fans.

The two briefly scuffled and television replays showed Dooling throwing a punch at Allen that did not connect. The two were eventually separated with Orlando's Stacey Augmon pulling Allen away from Dooling.

Underneath the stands, Dooling briefly ran toward the Sonics locker room and was seen yelling at Allen, but team officials and police kept the two apart.

"Basketball is an emotional game," Dooling said on Wednesday night. "Sometimes you don't think, you just react and tonight was one of those nights."

Dooling was scoreless in three minutes of play, while Allen had just one point in eight minutes.

"I thought Ray did the right thing staying on the ground and Dooling came back at him. At some point you have to protect yourself," Seattle coach Bob Hill said.

"I thought Ray handled it as well as he could. And if Ray didn't handle himself that way, I'd say it," he said.

LINK

"We would have two less championships here if it wasn't for Manu Ginobili," Popovich said. "In my book, Manu Ginobili is the stud of the world."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!