LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-06, 12:17 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

MySA: Spurs shoot 38 percent as Pistons sweep season series

Spurs shoot 38 percent as Pistons sweep season series
Web Posted: 01/13/2006 12:06 AM CST
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

Manu Ginobili flung himself toward the scorer's table, lunged one last time for the ball and came up with only air.

With only seven minutes remaining and the Spurs desperately trying to claw back against the Detroit Pistons late Thursday, Ginobili's spirited display of hustle failed to preserve another precious possession. But it did not go completely unrewarded.

For the first time, the 18,797 fans filling the re-branded AT&T Center rose to their feet and roared.

The Spurs hardly had time to appreciate the gesture. By the time Detroit had finished dismantling them 83-68, they exited to a decidedly different chorus.

A smattering of boos.

"The crowd was feeling the same way as us," Ginobili said. "It was demoralizing."

Billed as a rematch of last season's NBA Finals, Thursday's nationally televised game turned out to be a near-duplicate of the Pistons' 85-70 thumping of the Spurs on Christmas Day at The Palace of Auburn Hills.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich light-heartedly had referred to that game as "The Massacre in Detroit." He just didn't expect the sequel to play out the same way on the Spurs' floor.

If the Spurs considered Thursday's game a measuring stick of their play since their visit to Detroit, then the Pistons simply snatched it from their hands and whacked them upside the head. The margin of victory wasn't the only number that looked eerily similar to those of three weeks ago.

After shooting 40 percent in Detroit, the Spurs shot 38.6 percent Thursday. The Pistons led by 10 points after the opening quarter of the Christmas game. On Thursday, they led by 13.

The Spurs did show some improvement. They narrowed their rebounding gap from 57-30 in the first game to 56-32.

"I'm not one to blow smoke at my players," Popovich said. "They kicked our butts on the offensive boards. And it's not just because the ball came their way."

The Spurs again wilted under Detroit's physicality. Ben Wallace leaped over Rasho Nesterovic to tip in a missed shot. Tim Duncan had an opportunity to rebound one of his missed free throws but stood flat-footed at the line.

If the Pistons weren't snatching the ball cleanly out of the air, they were usually tipping it to a teammate. With 3:22 still left in the third quarter, Tayshaun Prince, Detroit's long-limbed small forward, already had matched his career-high with 11 rebounds.

Sixteen of the Pistons' rebounds came on the offensive end.

"Every time we made a stop, which was hard enough, they came with a tip or an offensive rebound, or something like that," Ginobili said. "It was really demoralizing because there was nothing we could do about it."

Detroit again set the tone in the opening quarter, outscoring the Spurs 28-15 while shooting 61.9 percent.

"You can't give them a 13-point (lead) and expect to come back unless you play a perfect game," Popovich said. "And we certainly didn't do that."

Popovich was worried enough about how stagnant the Spurs' offense had grown that Wednesday's short practice primarily focused on improving the team's ball movement and decision-making.

The Spurs' response? They had three assists in the first half, one more than the franchise-record low. They didn't get their first assist until Michael Finley found Duncan for a layup with 7:02 left in the second quarter. It was the Spurs' 31st shot.

Tony Parker scored 17 points but didn't have a single assist. Of course, the Spurs' offensive struggle might have had more to do with poor shooting than poor execution.

"We moved the ball. We just didn't move it for shots," said Duncan, who missed his first six shots before finishing with 17 points and 13 rebounds. "What (the Pistons) want to do with their defense is stay locked up with people. They don't want any help. When you don't get help, there's no assists to be made, so people have to drive and make plays."

The Spurs made one final push to cut the deficit to 71-61 with 5:45 remaining.

Much of the crowd started to stream out the exits. Some of those who stayed made it clear how they felt.

"I wasn't worried about (the boos)," Parker said. "I was more concerned with how we played."

Link

I didn't hear any boos... maybe because by then I had changed the channel LOL
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-13-06, 12:22 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

They said all that needed to be said about the game and the series, but did they address how they are going to fix it? Tweaking and energy can only get you so much better on the boards, what has to be done to correct that domination? (i.e. 69 points per game, out rebounded by 25.5 per game)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-13-06, 12:28 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

"The Pistons sweep season series"

I dont like the way thats worded/sounds .
Old 01-13-06, 12:30 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

When the Season series is 2 games; it's hard to justify calling it a sweep. I think.
Old 01-13-06, 01:58 AM
SpursReport Team Member

yep, its a sweep.

I'm not panicking but I do feel our record is fool's gold. The Pistons are playing GREAT basketball right now but you always want to play your best in the playoffs.

How do we fix what's ailing us ?

Forget about Michael Finley starting. It's obvious to me now that he is not the player he used to be and in no way deserves to start. He should be giving us about 18-20 minutes a game (preferably with us in the lead). He and Nick are both defensive liabilities and they should not be on the floor together unless we have a huge lead.

Give Tim some time off. Make it mandatory for his own sake. I give him points for courage, but lets not be unwise about this. He's not moving well and the playoff games are what counts.

Find Nazr Mohammed. I'm not sure where he went. This back and forth with Rasho isn't doing much for our rotation. Is Pop trying to showcase him for a mid season trade ? Maybe....When Nazr has played, he hasn't looked too good. Maybe more minutes and a better game rhthym will help him come around. Rasho really doesn't match up well w/Detroits bigs.

We talked about being over-stocked with talent this summer and that Pop would be challenged to manage minutes for players. I am more than just a little surprised at how much Nick and Fin are playing. We weren't broke. Pop's playing these guys like they offer an improvement over what we had. I thought the idea would be to give our STARTERS some rest.

I think we need to go back to our old rotation from last year. At the very least it well help our chemistry on the floor.

GO SPURS ! I'm out, that game sucked.

P.S - Manu showed up and played like he gave a sh*t. I got nuthin but love for ya !
Old 01-13-06, 10:55 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

It does not get any easier next week, Spurs go to Memphis and Miami.
Old 01-13-06, 11:08 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Ok, fix what? Fix the fact that the Piston's starting lineup is FAR superiour to ours? How do you fix that? Bottom line is the Pistons present soooo many mis matchs on offense and Defense its discusting. The one position you would think we'd have an advantage (PF), once again failed us.

So, the solution? Well, lets just say if one or more players for the Piston's has an injury(not that I wish this on them) we might have a chance. But, lets face it, this team is far superior at every position right now and lets just hope we find some BALLS the next few months and at least make the Finals competive...Anytime the words demoralizing are used to decribe a game you know this game will have lingering effects...

Last edited by Malice; 01-13-06 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-13-06, 04:11 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Wow, what's up with the boos. I can't believe that, I would never boo this team, the nucleus of this team has won 2 titles. and are periennial contenders. What the , naw I won't say, but that doesn't make any sense to me. I could never boo these guys I hurt for them, cause I hurt and I know what it's like to compete in anything and lose and win. How does that wade commercial go, it doesn't matter how many times you fall as long as you get back up. This team will get back up they may not win it all, but they will compete.

I'm not going to say anything if fans feel they have to boo, but this team win or lose has represented our community very well and have brought us some much cherished memories that can never be taken away.
Old 01-13-06, 06:19 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjjrfan
Wow, what's up with the boos. I can't believe that, I would never boo this team, the nucleus of this team has won 2 titles. and are periennial contenders. What the , naw I won't say, but that doesn't make any sense to me. I could never boo these guys I hurt for them, cause I hurt and I know what it's like to compete in anything and lose and win. How does that wade commercial go, it doesn't matter how many times you fall as long as you get back up. This team will get back up they may not win it all, but they will compete.

I'm not going to say anything if fans feel they have to boo, but this team win or lose has represented our community very well and have brought us some much cherished memories that can never be taken away.

The booing offers a motivation to these guys. There is a difference between trying and failing and failing because you aren't trying.
The Pistons kicked our butts because they wanted it more. All 5 of their guys went to the boards, kept loose balls alive and played angry.

People tend to boo when they see a lack of effort. That's just my opinion. Tim missed some easy shots, Rasho was a step slow and had a rebound ripped from his hands by Maurice Evans. Pure desire, focus and strength. We had a chance to cut the lead to 8 points with 3 or 4 minutes left. What happened ? 4 missed FT by Tim and Tony.
End of game.

I don't hurt for the guys, I'm a realist and know that there will be nights when we don't play well. I just expect better consistent effort. When I don't see it, I get pis$ed off. We seem to be doing just enough to win. It may work in the long run (ala the Lakers w/ Shaq and Kobe), who knows ?

It's still early and we have one of the most talented rosters in the league. I still believe that the Championship runs through SA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malice
Ok, fix what? Fix the fact that the Piston's starting lineup is FAR superiour to ours? How do you fix that? Bottom line is the Pistons present soooo many mis matchs on offense and Defense its discusting. The one position you would think we'd have an advantage (PF), once again failed us.
Easy now...you're pissed off and aren't making sense. This same Far Superior lineup of the Pistons lost in 7 games to us last year. They also had a lead for most the game until our inferior starting 5 rallied and won Ring # 3.

Nazr and Manu were starting last year and I fully expect a return of that line up before year's end. Tim ? He wasn't 100% last year either. I suspect he'll put it together at the right time and we will challenge the Pistons. We just need to fix our Focus most of all.

Last edited by tmtcsc; 01-13-06 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-13-06, 06:20 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:

So, the solution? Well, lets just say if one or more players for the Piston's has an injury(not that I wish this on them) we might have a chance. But, lets face it, this team is far superior at every position right now and lets just hope we find some BALLS the next few months and at least make the Finals competive...Anytime the words demoralizing are used to decribe a game you know this game will have lingering effects...
I remember when Duncan "failed" us in game 7 of the finals. Get off the damn bandwagon then and go root for the Pistons. It is pathetic enough that you have quit on the team as it is. While you are looking at this as the end of the world, I am looking at this situation as a challenge and another test for us during this seasons title run. A healthy(health is good enough if your playing on the court) and determined spurs team has to be beaten FOUR times in a 7 game series. Name me a team since 1999 who has done that other then the Lakers (Cant count Suns..Tim didnt play). Name me another team can you do that?? We have what it takes to win a 4th title everything has to be in place which it is not at the moment.
Old 01-13-06, 06:21 PM
SpursReport Team Starter-Rest In Peace

I don't blame fans for booing. They were awful. 68 points sucks for any team. They need to get their act together.
Old 01-13-06, 07:25 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

booing is just stupid

when your playing at home there is supposed to be a home court advantage with your home crowd...I agree the Spurs hadnt given people much to cheer about but freaking booing certainly didnt help. thats pathetic at your own home court...and I know the Spurs didnt play well but I still dont buy into doing that

this franchise has given its fans 3 titles....booing just comes off as typical what have you done lately bullsh!t
Old 01-13-06, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzG
booing is just stupid

when your playing at home there is supposed to be a home court advantage with your home crowd...I agree the Spurs hadnt given people much to cheer about but freaking booing certainly didnt help. thats pathetic at your own home court...and I know the Spurs didnt play well but I still dont buy into doing that

this franchise has given its fans 3 titles....booing just comes off as typical what have you done lately bullsh!t
Thank you Dizz.
Old 01-13-06, 08:19 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzG
booing is just stupid

Ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto

At home, our team counts on support. I do not subscribe to the philosophy that booing by a HOME crowd motivates the home team. Spurs have done so much for fans here that the booing is classless. The fans are the 6th man and it's just not right that the 6th man boo his own team even when they could be playing better.
Old 01-13-06, 08:25 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy17
I remember when Duncan "failed" us in game 7 of the finals. Get off the damn bandwagon then and go root for the Pistons. It is pathetic enough that you have quit on the team as it is. While you are looking at this as the end of the world, I am looking at this situation as a challenge and another test for us during this seasons title run. A healthy(health is good enough if your playing on the court) and determined spurs team has to be beaten FOUR times in a 7 game series. Name me a team since 1999 who has done that other then the Lakers (Cant count Suns..Tim didnt play). Name me another team can you do that?? We have what it takes to win a 4th title everything has to be in place which it is not at the moment.
This game just brought so much emotion out in me. So, if anything its just venting. This team has the potential to be so great it fustrates me when I see the lack of effort like last night. I have no doubt we can bounce back from this and make it to the Finals, and get another crack as these guys. But, you cant tell me RIGHT NOW the pistons dont have a better starting 5. Thats reality, and the only good news is its only January and we got time to improve....
Old 01-13-06, 11:42 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I don't boo at the games but I don't have a problem with those that do. I'd rather not give the opposing team the satisfaction of hearing it. If I'm not happy with the way the team is playing I start shouting specifics like "Grab a friggin rebound !" or "Let's go ! Stop taking all the damn jump shots" or "Put Manu in !!". Some of my other favorites are "C'mon, Make these !" when our guys step to the line.

I imagine alot of people forgoe the specifics and just say boo when they are tired from clapping and trying to scream encouragement, only to see it go unanswered. Frustration will do that to you.

Booing the Commissioner is Stupid. WTF did he ever do to anyone ? Booing the Spurs ? Sometimes they need to hear it. Do you think Pop gets on their case or lets sloppy play ride ? Why sould the fans ?
Old 01-13-06, 11:49 PM

This thread makes me sad.

Brooklyn's #1 Spurs fan!!!
Old 01-14-06, 12:16 AM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:

LOL at every position yeah Sheed is far superior than Tim One game and now he is far superior than Tim??? Rip far superior than Ginobili? I doubt that right there. We beat them with the same starting 5 last year when SA was clicking, yet they are far superior at every position? I know they are better this year and we are not on par yet as a team, but the far superior at every position is a joke man, come down to Earth and realize SA is not done and the sun come out today Malice. BTW make the finals competitive like SA is there yet? Are you serious SA has to make it there first, you guys are acting like it's a lock in here and they are there already to play, anything can happen to Detroit or SA before then, stop this sh*t and focus on the here and now, it's not even the playoffs yet.

Quote:
This game just brought so much emotion out in me. So, if anything its just venting. This team has the potential to be so great it fustrates me when I see the lack of effort like last night. I have no doubt we can bounce back from this and make it to the Finals, and get another crack as these guys. But, you cant tell me RIGHT NOW the pistons dont have a better starting 5. Thats reality, and the only good news is its only January and we got time to improve....
Now thats a better post from you man.... More realistic.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 01-14-06, 12:19 AM

If this team was full of underacheivers and classless athletes who kept getting in trouble and giving everyone and anything a bad name, I guess I could understand. But this team has given us 2 parades two hellava nights of celebration and happiness, no, they didn't cure my allergies, or help me pay my bills but for that time, I forgot about a lot of the sh*t that goes on in my life, and I could never boo these guys and this team.
Old 01-14-06, 12:24 AM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjjrfan
If this team was full of underacheivers and classless athletes who kept getting in trouble and giving everyone and anything a bad name, I guess I could understand. But this team has given us 2 parades two hellava nights of celebration and happiness, no, they didn't cure my allergies, or help me pay my bills but for that time, I forgot about a lot of the sh*t that goes on in my life, and I could never boo these guys and this team.
Three parades that is man!!!!!! They won in 99 as well did you remember? Anyways I see what you are saying, and I didn't boo them last night I just cursed at the TV and said come on guys you guys are better than this over and over.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.