News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 11-11-05, 09:05 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

PROOF that Tony Parker is inconsistant

He's scored 20 or more points in every game this season except one: The hapless Cavs. Why can't he score 20 points against the Cavs, of all teams?

I'm being facetious.
He's been great this season.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-11-05, 09:06 PM
Moderator & Chatroom Greeter

hahahahhaa
I was like: whoaaaa!
[email protected]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-11-05, 09:12 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Well, let me play devil's advocate, in the 4th Tony went 3 straight possessions where no one touched the ball on offense but him. He scored once, but he missed on the other two. I like that he is scoring more and how easily he breaks down the defense, but that one track mind is going to haunt us down the road against good defensive teams.
Old 11-11-05, 09:15 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

He's looking all-starish.
Then chances are good that YOU ALMOST FREAKING KILLED ME IN THE PARKING LOT
Old 11-11-05, 09:15 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Parker has been awesome this year...there is no other way to spin it
Old 11-11-05, 09:19 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjjrfan
Well, let me play devil's advocate, in the 4th Tony went 3 straight possessions where no one touched the ball on offense but him. He scored once, but he missed on the other two. I like that he is scoring more and how easily he breaks down the defense, but that one track mind is going to haunt us down the road against good defensive teams.
I definitely agree. Can't have this....
Old 11-11-05, 09:20 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Tony has been almost as valuable as Tim in the first 5 games but there is a huge factor here. THat is that its been just 6 games into the season and no one has ever questioned Tony Parkers tear drop or his lay ups. What they have questioned is his jumpshot and no one has really forced him to shoot jumpers. However, good defensive teams will slowly start to take away the layup and disrupt the momentum he builds with those easy shots. The question is if he is going to hit the jumpshot all season long and expand his game, he has proven he can do what hes done thus far in the season before what he hasn't proven is if he can do it all season long.
Old 11-11-05, 09:23 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Tony is playing exactly how the Spurs need him to play. He is also showing consistency in which he has lacked in the future. Just wait until Manus offense heats up.
Old 11-11-05, 09:23 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
I saw the Celts make adjustments by the 3rd quarter. Tony was called for 2 charges after defenders were playing him loosely on the perimeter
Old 11-11-05, 09:25 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Tp will be in the allstar game.
Old 11-11-05, 09:26 PM
The Eternal Optimist

If Cooz says he's (Parker)good or better than that, I'll take that he is probably pretty good. After having had to watch the Celt's feed on League Pass and having been a Celt's fan since before Tommy Gun and russ's rookie year as well as having been a Spurs fan since before Robinson was drafted it wasn't a really totuous ordeal. The point is, those two saw a couple or three good ball players in their time and they seem to think we have a really good TEAM as well as having more than a few outstanding players who know how to play.
Old 11-11-05, 09:35 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Location: Bangalore - Silicon Valley East - Ex hyderabd, Cupertino/CA & Campinas Brazil, Houston and SanAntonio

Cavs game is ancient history - TP is game on!
Old 11-11-05, 09:39 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
That bothered me too, but man, I just can't gripe about the shot selection of a guy who just shot over 60% for the game.
Old 11-11-05, 09:45 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Word......
" I am not going to complain. This season I really want to show that I have climbed yet another step. I want to show some regularity and bring something to the team every evening. I am on a mission! " ---T.P.
Old 11-11-05, 10:35 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

TP does look, for the most part, significantly improved thus far vs last yr . . . and he had spurts of tremendous greatness last yr, so that makes what he's doing this yr even better.

My only concerns:

1) he's had 4 TO's in each of the past 2 games . . . needs to keep that to 3 or less in my book . . . but this is minor.

2) what happens when folks deny him the penetration? will he adjust properly and effectively?

Now, I'm noticing already that he's reading better what he can and cannot get, and is circling out of the paint to reset the screen when he sees that the lane will clog too easily . . . a huge sign of maturity. So, maybe concern #2 above will be addressed well enough . . . but it does remain to be seen, and he did get caught on this issue (having his penetration denied) a several times by the hapless defense of the Celtics tonite.

Regardless, TP is looking significantly better, more poised, and more comfortable. I suspect we will see more of this level of performance, and more importantly less mistakes.
Old 11-12-05, 12:41 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineForLife
2) what happens when folks deny him the penetration? will he adjust properly and effectively?
Exactly what I'm wondering, though I don't think the team's we've played thus far will help us answer this question.
Old 11-12-05, 01:04 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Err, what happens when folks aren't able to deny him the penetration on any consistent basis?

That's what I'm seeing so far. I don't think anyone is going 'ok, lets give him the penetration' except for Eva.

Its not just that he's fast - he's always been that - its that he's reading the court better. NVE gave him some high praise the other day in regards to his improved court sense.

Other notes - he has been doing some nice passing on occassion but when he's got an easy layup high percentage shot he would be foolish to pass it. Also, when he has taken the J his shot has been a lot more consistent than I'm used to seeing.

My guess - this TP is for real.

Last edited by TexasNate; 11-12-05 at 01:06 AM.
Old 11-12-05, 01:47 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Yes, our 20 point lead was in jeopardy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNate
I don't think anyone is going 'ok, lets give him the penetration' except for Eva.
Old 11-12-05, 05:24 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNate
Err, what happens when folks aren't able to deny him the penetration on any consistent basis?

That's what I'm seeing so far. I don't think anyone is going 'ok, lets give him the penetration' except for Eva.

Its not just that he's fast - he's always been that - its that he's reading the court better. NVE gave him some high praise the other day in regards to his improved court sense.

Other notes - he has been doing some nice passing on occassion but when he's got an easy layup high percentage shot he would be foolish to pass it. Also, when he has taken the J his shot has been a lot more consistent than I'm used to seeing.

My guess - this TP is for real.
I'm seeing that, too . . .but the teams we've played thus far are not exactly known as defensive juggernauts. I like what I'm seeing out of TP so far this seson, but let's see how he handles a better defensive effort. Hopefully, the gains he's made in court vision and wisdom will be demonstrated against a more defensive opposition, as well.
Old 11-12-05, 07:44 AM
SpursReport Team Member

[quote=TexasNate]

That's what I'm seeing so far. I don't think anyone is going 'ok, lets give him the penetration' except for Eva. QUOTE]

I like that. I like that. Now, I've gotta get back to Eva....
" I am not going to complain. This season I really want to show that I have climbed yet another step. I want to show some regularity and bring something to the team every evening. I am on a mission! " ---T.P.
Old 11-12-05, 07:54 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

parker might take ginobili's spot on the all star roster

but come playoff time, ginobili's our all star
Old 11-12-05, 11:57 AM
SpursReport Team Member

TP's playing great right now( ), lets hope he keeps it up all year long and more importantly into the playoffs.
Old 11-12-05, 12:08 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Hm. I've seen him hitting jump shots.
Old 11-12-05, 01:13 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

There will never be a Tony thread without mention of Eva. Make jumpers Tony! It's hard to make jokes about that
Old 11-12-05, 02:23 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

The key to the new Tony is less is more. He's given up his poor three shot, although he did loft a long clanger against the Celtics which I hope was because the clock was out. From what I've seen of his jump shooting so far, he'd be better off if he limited his range to college threes. Although he still has a long way to go as a ball distributor his new more efficient shooting game adresses the Achilles heel of the Spurs' offense the last few seasons- too much Tony.
Old 11-12-05, 04:08 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

TP is so inconsistent. One day with his spaghetti he has merlot, but the next time it was shiraz!

We'll never win a title this way......

$
Old 11-13-05, 12:56 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

What a magnificent thread!

CIA Pop: Overpaying a player never works.
Old 11-13-05, 11:52 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Tony Parker is our next all star, he has mature a lot, he knows he is not a kid, and this year will be his "consagration" as a Basket ball player.
Old 11-13-05, 12:36 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hantler
I do believe this is the first time someone has created their own word but at the same time, claimed it to be a previously spoken word. Nicely done.

I am guessing he meant "consecration"?
Old 11-13-05, 02:35 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Parker did not need to score 20 against the Cavs because well, we killed them. Please take it easy we are only 7 games into the season!
Old 11-13-05, 04:20 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcone
Parker did not need to score 20 against the Cavs because well, we killed them. Please take it easy we are only 7 games into the season!
SWING....... AND MISS
Old 11-13-05, 07:07 PM
SpursReport Rookie

It was consecrate, but at that time, i was not sure, and I didnt have a dicctinary on my hand, and my english is at 50%.. not as good as my french.. but it still works..
Old 11-13-05, 09:28 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I need to look up "consagration" in the "dicctinary"

Yea! LoL!

$
Old 11-14-05, 08:16 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnac The Magnificent
He's scored 20 or more points in every game this season except one: The hapless Cavs. Why can't he score 20 points against the Cavs, of all teams?

I'm being facetious.
He's been great this season.
He's gained my trust a lil' more too this season. He's been better than Timmy.