Old 11-09-05, 12:21 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

MySA: Bad back likely to sideline Barry

Nothing really new..

Spurs notebook: Bad back likely to sideline Barry
Web Posted: 11/09/2005 12:00 AM CST
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Spurs guard Brent Barry underwent an MRI on his back Tuesday afternoon and is expected to miss at least a week.

The Spurs were still waiting for their own medical staff to evaluate the test results before making a more definitive diagnosis. But coach Gregg Popovich thinks Barry will need to sit out at least the next three games even under a best-case scenario.

Barry felt some tightness in his back Saturday against Dallas and the injury worsened when he bent backward after jumping for a rebound in the second quarter of Monday's victory in Chicago. He left the game and spent the rest of the evening in the locker room.

Barry felt better after the game and the doctor who examined him in Chicago doesn't think he has a disk problem. The Spurs took him for an MRI Tuesday to make sure.

Ginobili probable: Manu Ginobili will probably play tonight against Charlotte, but Popovich still hasn't ruled out resting him to give Ginobili's bruised right quadriceps time to completely heal. Before determining Ginobili's status, Popovich wanted to see how he responded to treatment Tuesday.

Popovich strongly considered keeping Ginobili on the bench Monday, but Ginobili wanted to play. Ginobili finished with 14 points and a career-high 13 rebounds in 37 minutes, but resorted to attempting 10 3-pointers because he struggled to finish his drives.

For the season, Ginobili is shooting only 29.5 percent.

"You could tell in the second half he didn't have his legs to shoot," Popovich said. "He didn't have the explosiveness in his body."

Help on the way? The injuries to Ginobili and Barry have forced the Spurs to consider adding another swingman to their roster.

"If (Ginobili) tightens up or whatever," Popovich said, "it would be good to already have somebody in here."

If needed, the Spurs also could play Tony Parker and Nick Van Exel together for stretches tonight against Charlotte. The Bobcats have done the same with their top two point guards, Brevin Knight and Raymond Felton.

Notebook
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-09-05, 12:26 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Bad break for the Spurs and having Manu already fighting through injuries puts them in a bad spot, early in the year, but sitting Manu may be a good thing in the long run.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-09-05, 03:19 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Who would the "somebody else" be that Pop mentioned?

Anybody have any names?
Old 11-09-05, 08:35 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelito
Who would the "somebody else" be that Pop mentioned?

Anybody have any names?
Melv...........oh, nevermind...
usckk

Last edited by MATIAS; 11-09-05 at 08:51 AM.
Old 11-09-05, 09:22 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesR
Spree?

Pop has commented in the past that he would like to have Spree and has said that having PJ on the team wouldn't be a problem.

I think it was 03, after the 2nd title that the Spurs wanted to go after Spree.
If bringing in an aged veteran is the way to go I'd rather bring back Big Dog and let Finley play SG. Spree's just bad news, there's no need to take that risk.
Old 11-09-05, 09:28 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I was for keeping Glenn Robinson all along...even with the recent acquisitions.....for this reason.

Spree....PASS. His time in the NBA has come and gone.

Last edited by Sdayi1; 11-09-05 at 09:31 AM.
Old 11-09-05, 09:34 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I can just imagine all the sreaming i'll be doing at the T.V. for Spree's shot selection.

It seems as though our backup 3 spot is a little thin at the moment. I'm not worried, but i wouldn't be against bringing Big Dog back--he's had SOME experience within the system and showed he could play solid minutes at times.

We're still the deepest team in the league though.
Old 11-09-05, 11:43 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

i'm still wondering what the MRI may reveal.
Old 11-09-05, 12:16 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotes_geek
If bringing in an aged veteran is the way to go I'd rather bring back Big Dog and let Finley play SG. Spree's just bad news, there's no need to take that risk.
BINGO. That's gotta be it. Big Dog wanted to stay . . . he fit well and quickly learned the D . . . and he can shoot and play well. And the chemistry is already there, unlike Spree. Oh, and I think we can afford him, right?
Old 11-09-05, 12:49 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

its not like ginobili is injured long term.

just let him sit for a while. dang we're sooo deep.

more minutes for finley and van excel, they can come in and feel important for a while.

let say no barry and no manu for a week:

parker/van excel
finley/beno
bowen/horry
duncan/oberto
rasho/nazr

i would love to see beno get some more playing time too.... and by that i mean i would love to see beno get ANY playing time. hahaa. see if he can get some confidence and rythm.

COOL
Old 11-09-05, 01:03 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

the MRI revealed no structural damage and the injury has been diagnosed as a mild back sprain. he is listed as day-to-day for now.
Old 11-09-05, 03:22 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Have Finley play some more SG.

Plus, re-sign Big Dog if he's in playing shape.
The Spurs have two roster spots.