Old 11-08-05, 07:20 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Spurs Notebook: Ginobili fighting through injuries

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/b....1736e95e.html

Spurs Notebook: Ginobili fighting through injuries

Web Posted: 11/08/2005 12:00 AM CST

Johnny Ludden
San Antonio Express-News

CHICAGO — Manu Ginobili had to talk his way into playing Monday night against the Chicago Bulls.

Concerned that Ginobili's right leg wasn't getting any better, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich was leaning toward giving his starting shooting guard a couple of games off to rest.

But Ginobili felt confident enough after testing his leg during warm-ups to ask to play.

"I told him I wanted to give it another try," Ginobili said.

Ginobili has lacked his usual explosiveness since bruising his right quadriceps in practice three days before the start of the season. His right ankle also began to trouble him Saturday when he missed nine of his 11 shots in the Spurs' loss in Dallas.

Ginobili also went 2 for 9 in the season opener. Several of his misses in the first three games were shots at the rim he usually finishes.

Ginobili said Monday his ankle felt better, but his leg obviously had yet to completely heal.

"We're very concerned," Popovich said before the game. "We're hoping we're making the right decision by letting him go one more night. He seems to think he's improving every day a little bit, but we don't see it.

"We'll just respect his decision to play, but if we don't like what we'll see, we'll sit him down."

To the rafters: Popovich's high school in Merrillville, Ind., plans to retire his jersey at halftime of a game on Dec.30. The Spurs have that day off, so Popovich plans to attend.

"It's funny, I don't remember anyone wanting to retire my number when I was coaching at Pomona," Popovich said, laughing.

"I don't think I've changed as a high-school player since then."

Popovich, coincidentally, wore No.21 — the same as Tim Duncan.

50-50 feedback: Popovich gave the league's new dress code a mixed review.

"That part where the bench guys are not playing and have to present themselves in a way most people would present themselves in any business is cool," Popovich said. "But the more specific you get, the more minefields you hit.

"I felt like a cadet again when (the dress code) first came out. I just said, 'Is somebody going to inspect me every day and see what I'm doing?'

"We'll see how it goes, but I think it will die down to nothing as long as the guys on the bench do what they need to."

That said, Popovich also admitted he will have a tough time getting Duncan to comply if he should sit out a game. All players on the bench not in uniform must wear a sports jacket.

"If Timmy is hurt," Popovich said, "I think he'll just have to stay home."

Moving up: Duncan's block of Kurt Hinrich in the first quarter was the 1,500th of his career. He joins Miami's Shaquille O'Neal as the only active players with at least 13,000 points, 7,000 rebounds and 1,500 blocks.

Duncan ranks second on the Spurs' all-time list for blocks, though he has a ways to go before he needs to start thinking about catching David Robinson. Robinson retired with 2,954 in his 14-year career.

For a good cause: Popovich participated in a wine tasting in Hinsdale, Ill., on Sunday to benefit Chicago-based Bear Necessities Pediatric Cancer Foundation. The $2,500-a-plate event raised $50,000.

The event was organized after the owners of A Taste of Vino, a Hinsdale wine store, read that Popovich had never tasted a selection from Domaine de la Romanée. Popovich took Sean Elliott with him.

I know Manu loves to play but I think he needs to take it easy and maybe rest a few games.

Last edited by kmgospurs; 11-08-05 at 07:38 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-08-05, 07:48 AM
SpursReport Rookie

We prefer Manu rest a few games ( 1 or 2 ) to heal.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-08-05, 08:04 AM
SpursReport Team Member

His 13 rebounds were a career high. His 10 3-point attempts were too. Pretty unusual for him to take that many threes.
Old 11-08-05, 08:05 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

he didnt look bad when he was able to grab 13 boards
Old 11-08-05, 08:11 AM
SpursReport Team Member

agreed. i think a "tell-tale" sign of his lack explosiveness was that sweet pass he caught from NVE in the middle of the lane and struggled to dunk the ball.

We're talking about a guy who's dunked on the Wallace's--the same guy that threw it down on Joe Johnson, Amare, and Marion.

Although he looked better last night [3pt shooting & rebounding], i just can't imagine that being Manu at 100%.

A game or two missed may be better in the long run.
Old 11-08-05, 11:11 AM
SpursReport Team Member

That is the problem right now with Manu's game, lack of the trademark Ginobili explosiveness caused by the injury. I think he is playing as well as he can right now with the injury, and I think people are overlooking this. That is how good of a player Manu is, and he plays injured and get's a career high in rebounds. He is doing what he can to help this team win, and he deserves a tons of credit for that.
Old 11-08-05, 11:39 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

With our depth, its ridiculous to play Manu hurt. I just dont get it. Is he maybe a little worried about losing his starting spot to Finley?
Old 11-08-05, 11:49 AM
Moderator & Chatroom Greeter

Has happened in the past...
[email protected]
Old 11-08-05, 11:50 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Manu has never "lost" his starting spot. He was asked if he minded coming off the bench to help the team...he was never demoted because he wasnt playing well or anything like that

I seriously doubt Manu is worried about losing his spot...he prob just thinks his body will respond better to playing it out than just sitting
Old 11-08-05, 11:52 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHENEA
Has happened in the past...
Due to his playing well. Manu has never moved to the bench due to poor performance or injuries.
Old 11-08-05, 11:55 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectGSX
With our depth, its ridiculous to play Manu hurt. I just dont get it. Is he maybe a little worried about losing his starting spot to Finley?
I was thinking the same thing. So early in the season, so much depth, Manu injured - why is he playing? I know he's a fierce competitor and I respect him for that but Pop ought to just sit him down for a few games and let him get better, rather than risk aggravating the injury and losing him for a longer stretch.
Old 11-08-05, 09:48 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Spurs should seriously consider shutting Manu down for awhile along with cutting more of Horry's minutes, IMO. With Barry out too, it will give the other guys more time to get accustomed.

"Bring it"
Old 11-09-05, 12:06 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

This never would happen if Peter Holt wasn't so cheap and the Spurs had a medical staff and health facilities. ~usuck
Old 11-09-05, 12:22 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Got 'em again, bro