News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 11-08-05, 05:20 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Parker is 3rd in scoring

of all Point Guards as of right now... thats above Arenas, Nash, Marbury, Kidd, Cassell, Francis, Bibby and many others... Hopefully he can stay as consistent as he has been so far.

1. AI (124)
2. D. Wade (98) - PG/SG
3. Parker (90)
4. Arenas (78)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-08-05, 06:15 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I don't remember ever seeing TP in this kind of form. Perhaps he has finally grown into a man? He looks much more in control and focused.

CIA Pop: Overpaying a player never works.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-08-05, 07:38 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Tony Parker has been amazing so far. I expect his points to drop and assists to go up. 19 and 7 for him this season?

I just want to add one thing: With Tim Duncan looking so much healthier and quicker this year, the Spurs should use the pick and roll with Duncan more often imo. Parker bringing up, Duncan setting the pick, Parker to Duncan for the layup.

Last edited by Manuac; 11-08-05 at 07:44 AM.
Old 11-08-05, 08:39 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

don't count on that lasting too long. tony parker being 3rd in scoring and all. not being sarcastic or anything. there are alot of point guards in the league who are better scorers than parker that have gotten slow starts. bibby, jason terry, chauncey, cassell. i think luke ridenour will have a consistant scoring year
Old 11-08-05, 08:48 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnificent
don't count on that lasting too long. tony parker being 3rd in scoring and all. not being sarcastic or anything. there are alot of point guards in the league who are better scorers than parker that have gotten slow starts. bibby, jason terry, chauncey, cassell. i think luke ridenour will have a consistant scoring year
Oh Lord. Leave it to the Kings lover all over Kobe's sak (ironic isnt it?)to try to rain on the TP praise parade.
Old 11-08-05, 08:56 AM
SpursReport Team Member

In all honesty, I don't think it's realistic for Parker to stay 3rd in PG scoring. Would I love to be proven wrong? Yeah.
Old 11-08-05, 08:57 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benchwarmer
In all honesty, I don't think it's realistic for Parker to stay 3rd in PG scoring. Would I love to be proven wrong? Yeah.
I dont think so either. I just hate when trolls from other teams come on here and pimp their own players over ours.
Old 11-08-05, 08:59 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

i'm not a troll. just telling it like it is. benchwarmer agreed. you do too. i guess it makes THAT much of a difference that a fan of another team is saying it.
Old 11-08-05, 09:01 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnificent
there are alot of point guards in the league who are better scorers than parker that have gotten slow starts. bibby, jason terry, chauncey, cassell. i think luke ridenour will have a consistant scoring year
Chauncey's scoring isn't consistent in terms of year average which is why he is always around 16pts/game. He starts every year (the last three) shooting horrible percentages. He has a month here or there where he plays out of his mind (stat wise) and by the playoffs he is in rare form (minue any Pacer series of course).

Last edited by Fool; 11-08-05 at 09:05 AM.
Old 11-08-05, 09:41 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Parker looked excellent last night. He would be getting a lot more assists if people could hit their jumpers. Last night in particular was pretty bad.
Old 11-08-05, 09:43 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I've been really impressed with Parker's play so far this season. He's getting to the basket at will, and has been the one setting the offensive tempo for the team. When he's not getting a layup, he's sucking the defense in and kicking it out to the open man. He'd have even more assists if we made all those open looks.

Our team is set up where the prime years of Duncan, Parker, and Manu are not all exactly at the same time. They overlap, giving us plenty of talent for years to come. Once Duncan slows down in 4-5 years, that's when Parker will be entering his prime. TP will gradually develop into a primary offensive weapon while Tim patrols the paint towards the end of his career. As for now, Tony's shot looks great since getting a coach, he's as quick as ever getting to the rim, and we've still got the MVP in his prime. I'm a very happy camper.
Old 11-08-05, 09:54 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

parker right now is 7th in scoring per 48 minutes above ray allen, paul pierce and AIlink
Old 11-08-05, 10:08 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I haven't seen too much of the games yet. Are all his points layups, or has he been able to hit open jumpers?

Just a guess, but I think he needs to be able to hit outside shots for his scoring to stay up.
Old 11-08-05, 10:11 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Chip England for all star game coach?
Old 11-08-05, 10:14 AM

I have been highly impressed by TP, I wish I had him on my fantasy team right now.
Old 11-08-05, 10:24 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuac
Tony Parker has been amazing so far. I expect his points to drop and assists to go up. 19 and 7 for him this season?

I just want to add one thing: With Tim Duncan looking so much healthier and quicker this year, the Spurs should use the pick and roll with Duncan more often imo. Parker bringing up, Duncan setting the pick, Parker to Duncan for the layup.
I agree....we went away from the pick-n-roll in Dallas for some reason, but it's our bread and butter. Also I find that the Spurs offense actually has some sort of form when we start doing pick-n-roll...everything else looks so sloppy right now.

Parker is just picking off teams right now with his speed...it's crazy. As for him being 3rd in scoring for PGs, I don't know why he can't finish top5 in that category and finish above other high scoring PGs like Cassell, Bibby and Kidd. Parker is due for a good season. I'm not saying he will keep it up, but just because you and some others think he won't doesn't mean that is what happens.

btw, It's worth noting that Parker would've had a lot more assists had our players hit their WIDE OPEN shots.
Old 11-08-05, 11:08 AM
SpursReport Rookie

parker looks FOCUSED.
Old 11-08-05, 11:18 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Location: Bangalore - Silicon Valley East - Ex hyderabd, Cupertino/CA & Campinas Brazil, Houston and SanAntonio

4 gamer hardly makes a season...
Old 11-08-05, 11:21 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jones
I haven't seen too much of the games yet. Are all his points layups, or has he been able to hit open jumpers?

Just a guess, but I think he needs to be able to hit outside shots for his scoring to stay up.
He's been hitting a lot of open jumpers as well as making quick drives to the basket - that is part of what's been impressive. Last year players used to sag off Parker more because they didn't respect his jump shot, but when they've been doing that so far this season, he's been pulling up and hitting the shot. The minute they close in though he drives past them for the layup.

22.5 ppg so far. That's only four games and he may not be able to keep this up but then again maybe he's just getting started.
Old 11-08-05, 11:31 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Don't forget his great passing and much better command of the floor.

It's not just the shooting, he looks like a whole new player.
Old 11-08-05, 11:35 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Yes, Parker has been playing great... If he keeps this up, I think he has a chance at the All-Star game this year!
Old 11-08-05, 11:37 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R
Don't forget his great passing and much better command of the floor.

It's not just the shooting, he looks like a whole new player.
Yep. 9 assists last night and he should have had a few more. His drive and kick was very effective last night. People just couldnt knock down shots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAD
Are you serious? I thought they handed out another set of rings last night?
Old 11-08-05, 11:38 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Kind of funny when all the talk of the offseason/playing with France made it sound like he was going to show up worn-out, injured, and unable to play effectively for the Spurs this year.
Old 11-08-05, 12:26 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNate
Kind of funny when all the talk of the offseason/playing with France made it sound like he was going to show up worn-out, injured, and unable to play effectively for the Spurs this year.
it worked well for him as it did for Manu.
Actually for international players,playing for their country is kinda rejuvenating
Old 11-08-05, 12:39 PM
FrenchConnection

TP is scoring a lot because Manu is injuried and struggles to score. When Manu is going to start scoring, TP will take a step back. Also he is not going to continue shooting at 60%. If TP scores 16 points at around 45% shooting 75FT% and dishes 6.5 assists, I will be happy.
Old 11-08-05, 12:51 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Parker has had some good playoff performances, just not recently. Personally I think the playoffs last season just hit him during one of his downstreaks. Hopefully he does better this postseason.
Old 11-08-05, 12:54 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I also don't understand why TP doesn't get more calls... For someone who takes it to the hole so much, TP rarely gets to the line. For the exception of that Chicago game where he was 10-12, he had a total of 3 FT attempts his previous 3 games. I can't understand that, I would expect him to get around 8 FTA per game.
Old 11-08-05, 12:57 PM
FrenchConnection

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuxia
I also don't understand why TP doesn't get more calls... For someone who takes it to the hole so much, TP rarely gets to the line. For the exception of that Chicago game where he was 10-12, he had a total of 3 FT attempts his previous 3 games. I can't understand that, I would expect him to get around 8 FTA per game.
TP rarely flops, he tries to protect the ball close to his body. The problem with that is that refs can't see his hands so they think that the other guy gets the ball. It doesn't pay to be honest.
Old 11-08-05, 02:09 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchfred
TP rarely flops, he tries to protect the ball close to his body. The problem with that is that refs can't see his hands so they think that the other guy gets the ball. It doesn't pay to be honest.
Heh, sad but true. Exaggerating the foul is so prevalent that if you don't the refs assume there wasn't one.
Old 11-08-05, 02:11 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurnaje
it worked well for him as it did for Manu.
Actually for international players,playing for their country is kinda rejuvenating
And it keeps them on rythm of competition.
Old 11-08-05, 04:15 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchfred
Also, Tony is just so damn fast that he rarely does get fouled. He blows by his defender and gets to the hole so quickly that the blockers don't even realize he's about to score.

Plus, his more prevelant moves (like the "teardrop") avoid contact.
Old 11-08-05, 05:06 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby
Also, Tony is just so damn fast that he rarely does get fouled. He blows by his defender and gets to the hole so quickly that the blockers don't even realize he's about to score.

Plus, his more prevelant moves (like the "teardrop") avoid contact.
I fully agree about his quickness. Most players are not that quick and therefore are able to draw the foul by staying close to the defender. To deliberately slow down to get touched could be practiced, but I don't know whether the amount of contact would be good for his body, I don't like that idea.

Last edited by Manuac; 11-08-05 at 05:16 PM.
Old 11-08-05, 05:12 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNate
He's been hitting a lot of open jumpers as well as making quick drives to the basket - that is part of what's been impressive.
yup his shot selection looks better as well. i like the fact that he doesn't just settle for the 3 any more when he has space, rather steps up and pops or looks for the better shot.
Old 11-08-05, 06:01 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAD
i dont believe anyone said it did..