News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 11-04-05, 09:21 AM
SpursReport Team Member

The Real Test Begins Tonight

First I have to admit something.

I was wrong. When Damon Jones was traded to the Cavs I thought that was the end of him. That he would quickly fade into oblivion without O'Neal creating the Space for him to knock down open threes.

Whoever thought LeBron could command the same attention??

The first test of the season begins tonight. The Nuggs are a good team but as anybody who has been paying attention knows, the true measures for where we are at now lie in the east. LeBron James is coming to town and if his First game was any indication he is even better then last year (is that possible?).

LeBron and the ever creative hughes spaced the floor very well for the Cavs in their first game. Well enough to allow Damon Jones and Donyell Marshall do that which they were brought in for: that being can open three's at the rate of 5 for 10.

Of course LeBron was no slouch himself. Showing off a new outside shooting stroke (6 for 7 on 3-balls) that doesn't quite have the quirk at the elbow (as much) as he has in his previous seasons. Of course, he was able to still get into the lane at will.

I feel that this will be a very good test for us to see where the defense is and our overall game is at. I am interested in if Pop will take a "Phoenix" approach (let Lebron have his and shut everyone else down) or if he is going to try and stop him and force the ball out of hughes hands early.

BTW --- ANyone read Rosen's article on Finley for 6th man of the year?? For once I actually agree with him.

-J.W.
Old 11-04-05, 09:24 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I think Bowen will be on Lebron, and Manu on Hughes.
We´ll be fine
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-04-05, 10:26 AM
SpursReport Team Member

i feel that it would be more of a test for the cavs than for the spurs... as matias said.. we'll be fine
as for finley winning the 6th man award.. if he can give us what he showed last game... then we would be tough to beat for that award.

GO SPURS GO!!!
Old 11-04-05, 01:38 PM
SpursReport Team Member

No, the real test begins in the 06 NBA Finals....
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-04-05, 01:41 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Should be fun to watch...
Old 11-04-05, 01:54 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Tonight is just a pop quiz to test the chemistry of the team and the status of the newly added vets within the Spurs system. The tests begin in the playoffs.
Old 11-04-05, 01:56 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

This will be a great game.

Manu vs. Hughes will be fun to watch.

I think our depth is a huge advantage and if the game is close going into the 4th quarter, we should pull away.
Old 11-04-05, 02:25 PM
FrenchConnection

what I want to see is if Bruce can stop Lebron since he was struggling against Anthony in the first game of the season.
Old 11-04-05, 02:36 PM
SpursReport Team Member

none of these 82 regular season games count! haven't u been reading all the posts on this forum???

"If he dies, he dies." - Ivan Drago
Old 11-04-05, 02:53 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchfred
what I want to see is if Bruce can stop Lebron since he was struggling against Anthony in the first game of the season.
The problem Bruce had against Melo is his size and strenght... Bruce gives up a good 30 pounds to Melo I think, so he gives Bruce alot of problems in the paint and Bruce cannot box him out... Bruce should do much better vs Lebron, its all about style. Lebron is a typical wingman and Melo is simply not that...

Thats also part of the reason why Finley got more playing time than expected because he has the size and is a bit stronger than Bruce...

Pop even had Horry on Melo on a few plays I saw...
Old 11-04-05, 02:54 PM
FrenchConnection

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuxia
The problem Bruce had against Melo is his size and strenght... Bruce gives up a good 30 pounds to Melo I think, so he gives Bruce alot of problems in the paint and Bruce cannot box him out... Bruce should do much better vs Lebron, its all about style. Lebron is a typical wingman and Melo is simply not that...

Thats also part of the reason why Finley got more playing time than expected because he has the size and is a bit stronger than Bruce...
then we are in trouble because Lebron is 10 pounds heavier than Anthony.
Old 11-04-05, 03:05 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchfred
then we are in trouble because Lebron is 10 pounds heavier than Anthony.
I didn't know that.. It seems Melo is much stronger...

Anywayz, it has more to do with their style of play...
Old 11-04-05, 03:05 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake
I thought the real test was game 7 against Detroit a few months back.

I agree with lyonnais......the Cavs are the ones facing taking the test.

Besides, even if the Spurs lose tonite, it's only game #2 and they will still be heavily favored to win the trophy. Get back to me in May about 'tests'.
exactly....game 2 people...
Old 11-04-05, 06:30 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Obvious misinterpretation here on the meaning of test.

Do I mean that this is a do or die situation?? No. Nor did I intend to create a scenario creating any type of anxiety or urgency to this game.

Nope, what I said is this game is going to be a good test for us. And it will. It is a good test of where we are at right now chemistry wise on Defense AND on Offense.

An out of sync defense can contain the likes of the nuggs and lesser opponents who are fairly predictable. An out of sync defense is going to have problems against Lebron though.

Likewise, a bad team offensively can score against the nuggets at will. See the Lakers who had no sync yet got easy buckets whenever they wanted and Smush Parker (who is this??) that had a career night and was like 90% from the floor. But this Cavs team already showed they are more agressive defenders on the perimeter (hughes big part of that).

So for those of you blowing this out of proportion with the 2nd game comments and playoff comments take a second, breathe and reread the post and try to understand what is being said. This is a test. Even during the regular season playing against a good team is a good time to check where you are at.

-J.W.
Old 11-04-05, 06:32 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Nice takes Logo!
Old 11-04-05, 06:35 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurssheriff
Nice takes Logo!
Thank you. The regular season is finally here and I do not want to just blow it off in anticipation for the playoffs.

I want to see all 82 of these games and will be on the edge of my seat cheering for our team to win every one of them!!

-J.W.
Old 11-04-05, 06:38 PM
SpursReport Team Member

As I mentioned in previous posts, Bron's game is getting scarier as he's maturing. He's hell to guard inside, outside, and has a niche for dissing the rock. He has mad game....Pops will have to rotate Bowen and Finley on him ...... We'll see....Gametime in 23 mins....
Old 11-04-05, 10:18 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

The Spurs defense did a great job on James and the entire Cav's team. I didn't think that Jones had a good game, he hit some shots but he also took some ill advised shots. He found some space in the first half but in the 2nd half, the Spurs defense didn't give anyone a lot of space.

I liked what I saw from the Spurs, although, they lost focus in the 1st qtr and that's never a good sign. One thing that bothered me about James, is that when they started losing control he went back to hogging the ball like he did towards the end of the season last year, he passed up some open guys and took the shot. In the first qtr he played almost brilliantly, then got impatient and began to force things. I think James has a good team and needs to start trusting others to help him carry the load.
Old 11-04-05, 10:27 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

so much for the real test.

that was a false one guys. sorry
Old 11-04-05, 10:29 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLogo
Thank you. The regular season is finally here and I do not want to just blow it off in anticipation for the playoffs.

I want to see all 82 of these games and will be on the edge of my seat cheering for our team to win every one of them!!

-J.W.

Very well put, Logo. Here is a further breakdown on the definition of test :

test
Function: noun
a critical examination, observation, or evaluation : TRIAL; specifically : the procedure of submitting a statement to such conditions or operations as will lead to its proof or disproof or to its acceptance or rejection (2) : a basis for evaluation : CRITERION c : an ordeal or oath required as proof of conformity with a set of beliefs
2 a : a means of testing: as (1) : a procedure, reaction, or reagent used to identify or characterize a substance or constituent (2) : something (as a series of questions or exercises) for measuring the skill, knowledge, intelligence, capacities, or aptitudes of an individual or group b : a positive result in such a test
3 : a result or value determined by testing

Old 11-04-05, 10:49 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

it was a test alright... for the Cavs.

( /states obvious )
Old 11-05-05, 02:44 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Location: Bangalore - Silicon Valley East - Ex hyderabd, Cupertino/CA & Campinas Brazil, Houston and SanAntonio

Passed the Cav test easily - real test now comes on the road
Old 11-05-05, 03:26 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Spurs are asking when does the test start?
Old 11-05-05, 04:11 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Jordan Rules are now the LeBron Rules.
Old 11-05-05, 04:13 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Not sure how a home game is a good test. Road game, sure, home game, not really.

"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at this rock perhaps 100 times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the 101st blow, it will split in two and I know it was not that blow that did it. But all that had gone before." - Jacob Riis
Old 11-05-05, 04:40 AM
SpursReport Team Member

so much for a test... Bowen did good on Lebron
Old 11-05-05, 08:48 AM
SpursReport Team Member

This week long road trip is the test, and the first question is a diffcult essay question about how our team handles a good playoff team on the road.
Old 11-05-05, 09:00 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Man oh man!

Our team has no weaknesses. We were that good. Unbelieveable.

-J.W.
Old 11-05-05, 11:17 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Location: Bangalore - Silicon Valley East - Ex hyderabd, Cupertino/CA & Campinas Brazil, Houston and SanAntonio

That wa snot a test for us but for King James and his Court. Tonight is trhe real test as we go on the road and open at Dallas HOME Opener. If we win it is a major statement!
Old 11-05-05, 02:29 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I think tonite's game will be a better test than last night. Talented team. Division rival. On the road. A$$ end of back-to-back. This whole road trip is good for us. Lots of games in quick succession with mix of good and so-so teams allowing the team to bond early.
Old 11-05-05, 03:17 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

the next (first) game they lose will be their test.