News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-05, 07:14 PM
SpursReport Rookie

who the heck does greg anthony think he is?!?

anyone watch NBA fact/fiction on sportscenter tonight? anthony of course said "FICTION" when asked if he thought the spurs would repeat...this of course is the same guy who picked the heat to beat the pistons and the suns to beat the spurs in the playoffs last yr...guys always been a spurs hater, prolly cause he never won a title...

anyway, i see us winning atleast 65 games this yr...depending of course on timmy, since we would have won 65 plus last yr if he hadnt sprained his ankle in detroit....

mark it here, san antonio WILL win BACK to BACK titles and solidify its "dynasty" claim in the post-jordan era and show that they have been the best team overall since MJ left...

peace out
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-31-05, 07:21 PM
The Master Baiter

He's always been anti-Spur. He's always wrong. Plus I'm sure ESPN needed their devil's advocate for the show.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-31-05, 07:24 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Good, somebody at last to gripe about. I was beginning to think that the anti-Spur sports analysts had all gone extinct.
Old 10-31-05, 07:27 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

'99 Portland Trailblazers... I wonder who was in that team.. hmm...
Old 10-31-05, 07:28 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Anthony picking against the Spurs is hardly news and hardly worth complaining about yet again.
Old 10-31-05, 07:29 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

He also said that the Pistons were going to beat the Spurs in game 7.

...Anthony is a Spurs hater
Old 10-31-05, 07:41 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Anthony wasn't $hit at UNLV, he wasn't $hit in the NBA ( on Lord knows how many teams), and he still ain't $hit, looking like a sun-burned Mini Me .....
Old 10-31-05, 07:48 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
who the heck does greg anthony think he is?!?
Umm, i dont know...an ESPN analyst? We may not agree with him but he's entitled to his opinion. So what if he pick against the Spurs?

"We would have two less championships here if it wasn't for Manu Ginobili," Popovich said. "In my book, Manu Ginobili is the stud of the world."
Old 10-31-05, 07:59 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Location: Bangalore - Silicon Valley East - Ex hyderabd, Cupertino/CA & Campinas Brazil, Houston and SanAntonio

He was on the floor looking stupid and dumb as Shawn hit the Memorial Day Miracle shot... it's been on the cover of a few mags and he likley just cannot stand the fact that he's as a loser.
Old 10-31-05, 08:10 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

OMG LOLZERZ NOOOOOZ HE PIXED AGAINST UZZ 4 DA WIN!@!@
Old 10-31-05, 08:15 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R

"We would have two less championships here if it wasn't for Manu Ginobili," Popovich said. "In my book, Manu Ginobili is the stud of the world."
Old 10-31-05, 08:18 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Old 10-31-05, 08:24 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Hurrah people are laughing.

Yesssss.
Old 10-31-05, 08:28 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

OMGWTFBBQ!
Old 10-31-05, 08:30 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I think him picking the Lakers to win the Pacific Division is worse.
Old 10-31-05, 08:31 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

OMGWTFBBQ! is one of the best lines ever.
Old 10-31-05, 08:34 PM
SpursReport Team Member

At this point it's almost refreshing to see somebody NOT pick the Spurs. As has been discussed in other threads, I'm uneasy about the Spurs' status as far-and-away frontrunners. I'm glad they have such a talented and deep squad, but anything to take the target off of their backs is good by me.
Old 10-31-05, 08:40 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

This thread has officially been

Old 10-31-05, 08:43 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

OK back to the topic, I really like having someone I can hate on....I'm not going to lie.

...and Greg Anthony is PERFECT for me to hate. It's not so much that I think everyone should pick the Spurs, as much as it is this guys history for ALWAYS no matter how favored they are, picking against the Spurs.
Old 10-31-05, 08:46 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman21
...and Greg Anthony is PERFECT for me to hate. It's not so much that I think everyone should pick the Spurs, as much as it is this guys history for ALWAYS no matter how favored they are, picking against the Spurs.
I can't disagree with that at all. I can't stand him as an analyst - I just can't get excited over this incident.
Old 10-31-05, 09:34 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I like Greg, he always jocks JO and the Pacers
Old 10-31-05, 09:46 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman21
OK back to the topic, I really like having someone I can hate on....I'm not going to lie.

I definitly agree this guy just has some sick hate for the spurs. I remember back in '03 he predicted the Nets to take out the spurs in 5 lol the only crazy guy to do that. During the 2 title runs after '99 he predicted hte spurs to lose in every round. Also contrary to what people think his hate for the spurs have ntohing to do with '99 lets put it this way he had no chance hell of getting a ring against that squad. He always sucks Shaq's **** even though in '00 was his best year to win a ring espescially with that controversial game 7 meltdown at the Staples Center that year.

Greg simply hates the spurs because he is one of those people who believe that you must be born with GREATNESS like Shaq, MJ but doesn't believe that GREATNESS can be created through hard work and determination ala Duncan.
Old 10-31-05, 09:55 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesR
And look where thats gotten you Soup. Nowhere.

It's made watching ESPN somewhat passable. That's a major accomplishment.
Old 10-31-05, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
I like Greg, he always jocks JO and the Pacers
Of course he does. He's always going to pimp his ex-teammates and their teams.

The funny thing is:he's usually proven wrong.
Old 10-31-05, 10:09 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB
Of course he does. He's always going to pimp his ex-teammates and their teams.

The funny thing is:he's usually proven wrong.
Yep, he hasn't quite seperated relationships/work, but whatever, I don't mind.

I can't remember if he's ever actually picked the Pacers to win it all or not, he just gushes over JO all the time.
Old 10-31-05, 10:14 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

sometimes i wonder if these analysts just come up with these picks so as to keep the fire burning. it really seems to me that the fact or fiction segment is set up to be kind of controversial. one guy says fact, the other says fiction. and with ESPN carrying so much hoop now, it is in their interest to spark a little debate. as for greg anthony, put him in the same group as woody page and consider all their picks sure money makers-that is if you bet the exact opposite of those picks.
Old 10-31-05, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Yep, he hasn't quite seperated relationships/work, but whatever, I don't mind.

I can't remember if he's ever actually picked the Pacers to win it all or not, he just gushes over JO all the time.
Of course you don't - because he pimps your team.

"Who cares if he's actually right or wrong as long as he pimps the Pacers"? Is that how it works.

Most sports writers make their personal favorites or dislikes obvious in their writing or on-air commentary - although few sports personalities are as blatant as Anthony and Stephen A Smith.

Who can forget his tirade against Glenn Robinson during the NBA Finals last season?

While Robinson mourned his mother, Smith lambasted him on-air, still hating Big Dog from their past relationship in Philladelphia. Smith later apologized with the egg still visible on his face.

Anthony and Smith are among the most unprofessional announcers and analysts because they cannot separate relationships from their work.
Old 10-31-05, 10:21 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Of course you don't - because he pimps your team.

"Who cares if he's actually right or wrong as long as he pimps the Pacers"? Is that how it works.

Most sports writers make their personal favorites or dislikes obvious in their writing or on-air commentary - although few sports personalities are as blatant as Anthony and Stephen A Smith.

Who can forget his tirade against Glenn Robinson during the NBA Finals last season?

While Robinson mourned his mother, Smith lambasted him on-air, still hating Big Dog from their past relationship in Philladelphia. Smith later apologized with the egg still visible on his face.

Anthony and Smith are among the most unprofessional announcers and analysts because they cannot separate relationships from their work.

Thanks Rich
Old 10-31-05, 10:27 PM

Quote:

Thanks Rich
The funny thing is - I'll be laughing when the Pacers season ends prematurely yet again and you continue to blame injuries, Ben Wallace or some other excuse you'll probably find along the way.

See, you're as predictable as I am.
Old 10-31-05, 10:28 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

teh oWn3d?
Old 10-31-05, 11:12 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
teh oWn3d?
Quoted for truth.

L0L3rsk4t3s !!!11|
4tw
Old 10-31-05, 11:18 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

The irritating thing about people like GA is that they are supposedly unbiased analysts for the entire NBA. It is pathetically unprofessional when they can't at least put on a veneer of lack of bias - they should just switch over to writing team reports for their favorite team(s) and stop pretending they are something everyone knows they are not. Or better yet, maybe their bosses could come to this realization? Naw, because incendiary journalism sells.

As to saying since every other analyst is on our jock it is okay for GA to say something like this, where is the logic in that argument? If the Spurs are so obviously the best that everyone knows it, then it just makes articles like this look even more idiotic than normal.

Ahhhhh. That felt better. Theman21 is right, really is nice to have someone to hate on. I think I was going through withdrawals.
Old 10-31-05, 11:49 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I don't think it's so much that he's anti-Spur, but that he's very biased towards American NBA players. The Spurs top 3 includes 2 Euroleague players (ginobili and parker) and Duncan, who's not really considered an American player, even though he's a US citizen. The Heat have all home-grown stars: Shaq, Wade, Walker, Williams, Posey, Haslem, etc.

Greg Anthony doesn't understand that there's a new world order. He's like the American auto companies in the 70s who thought Japanese cars were not as good as theirs. They got a big old wake-up call... and so have the "old school" NBA teams and coaches and general managers. (I'm thinking of people like Pat Riley, Isiah Thomas, Larry Brown, and Phil Jackson... all of whom seem to completely turn their backs on non-American players.)
Old 10-31-05, 11:54 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Its his opinion if he picks another team to win. I mean come on, does it matter.

GA has always been anti-Spurs.
Old 11-01-05, 01:00 AM
There is only 1 Ginobili!

www.saic.com

Not only is it a fine company based in San Diego, it's also short for a condition that sometimes afflicts Spurs Fans worldwide.

I only get irked when it's done on Television.

In Print Media...I don't get that ticked off.

Old 11-01-05, 03:17 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:

needed a smile before bed.. thx..
Old 11-01-05, 06:48 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
The funny thing is - I'll be laughing when the Pacers season ends prematurely yet again and you continue to blame injuries, Ben Wallace or some other excuse you'll probably find along the way.

See, you're as predictable as I am.
My Pacers could be bottom dwellers for the 40 years and I would never be as bitter or b!tchy as you, my friend.

Last edited by SoupIsGood; 11-01-05 at 06:54 AM.
Old 11-01-05, 07:06 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Anthony is weak!
Old 11-01-05, 08:13 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

he is hating
Old 11-01-05, 08:17 AM
MomBear

Quote:

Old 11-01-05, 08:19 AM
On like Donkey Kong

Actually, this news makes me feel a lot better. If Greg Anthony had actually picked us...

Old 11-01-05, 08:26 AM
SpursReport Rookie

I think the Spurs are pretty good this year, they might do ok for themselves
But I guess that we will have to wait and see....
Old 11-01-05, 09:00 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

we have 99% of the media jocking us...why get angry because 1 doesn't?
Old 11-01-05, 09:15 AM
SpursReport Team Member

somebody complaining about Anthony picking against the Spurs is hardly news and hardly worth complaining about yet again.

Old 11-01-05, 11:08 AM

Quote:
My Pacers could be bottom dwellers for the 40 years and I would never be as bitter or b!tchy as you, my friend.
I'm not bitter or b!tchy. What do I have to be bitter about? What am I b!tching about?

I just happen to be able to admit the truth whether I like it or don't like it.

I don't go into denial because the truth happens to make my favorite team look bad.

I won't hopelessly make excuses when there are none to make.

I won't blur the lines between right and wrong depending on how it affects my team.

No team is worth doing that for. Not to me.

Whether they're bottom dwellers or championship contenders.
Old 11-01-05, 11:54 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Actually he is quoted as saying," If i were to pick fact there wouldnt be anything to talk about." I took that as he was just saying "fiction" just for conversation. He knows the Spurs will win.
Old 11-01-05, 12:06 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
I'm not bitter or b!tchy. What do I have to be bitter about? What am I b!tching about?

I just happen to be able to admit the truth whether I like it or don't like it.

I don't go into denial because the truth happens to make my favorite team look bad.

I won't hopelessly make excuses when there are none to make.

I won't blur the lines between right and wrong depending on how it affects my team.

No team is worth doing that for. Not to me.

Whether they're bottom dwellers or championship contenders.
RichB: Celebrating no sense of humor since October 2002.

I'm pretty sure he was just messing around dude.
Old 11-01-05, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncanrulz21
RichB: Celebrating no sense of humor since October 2002.

I'm pretty sure he was just messing around dude.
Actually, that's not true.

Some of the posts on here make me laugh each and every day.
Old 11-01-05, 12:47 PM
MomBear

This whole thread made me laugh today...
Old 11-01-05, 12:50 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Actually, that's not true.

Some of the posts on here make me laugh each and every day.
That's good to know then. I mean really, how can you read posts like this one and not laugh?