News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 04-07-04, 03:35 AM
SpursReport Rookie

i want theo on spurs

i think theo would be just wicked playin along side with duncan. the only thing is that have nestro already and salary would be problem.

so lets pretend money and space wasnt a problem who would you want as your center? theo or nestro?

i think theo can do the job quite well, low offensive input but defensive input would be off the charts
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-07-04, 03:38 AM
SpursReport Team Member

i've always liked theo
Old 04-07-04, 03:47 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

I always imagined what our defense would be like if we had Ben Wallace/Theo at center.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-07-04, 03:52 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaSin2K4
I always imagined what our defense would be like if we had Ben Wallace/Theo at center.

That would be scary. But we have Rasho and I would rather keep Manu and Hedo, than bring in Theo.
Old 04-07-04, 04:05 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

You mean Theo Huxtable? Cause I sure as heck think he'd stay healthy for the entire year. Something Theo Ratliff hasn't done since the '98 season. 50 games in '99 don't count.

Rasho has it over Theo in pts,rbs,asts,stls. Theo has the avantage in blocks,free throws and field goal percentage. Plus Rasho is 3 years younger with no history of being injury prone. This guy keeps getting traded for a reason. He makes too much jack, and he's always getting hurt.

This guy has a good stretch and all of a sudden, he should be a Spur? No thanks.
Old 04-07-04, 04:17 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaSin2K4

Our defence would then be almost as good as a Dave & Tim combo minus the offensive production.
Old 04-07-04, 04:31 AM
SpursReport Team Member

our defense would be better than dave and tim combo
Old 04-07-04, 07:09 AM

I like his game, big time, he is a prescense on the defensive end, but Rich B has a point about his health, a lot of questions there, and for a while there people were saying he was done, glad for him that didn't happen but injuries on certain players tend to keep happening. Unfortunately for him he falls into that category.
Old 04-07-04, 10:05 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Very expensive. Frequently injured. A cap-buster. Great when he's available, but his downside is huge.
Old 04-07-04, 10:09 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

thats a guy to go after when his current bloated contract is up.
Old 04-07-04, 10:10 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Location: some where on a remote volcano plotting to take over the world

I would defintly go for a healthy theo. but never not in a million year would I want him in the conditions he in now, too much of a risk

Cause your not quite evil enough. Your semi-evil, your quasi-evil, your the throosh of evil, your the margarine of evil, your the diet coke of evil, just one calorie, not "evil" enough,
Old 04-07-04, 11:29 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

I just don't think that extra 1 1/2 blocks is worth almost $5M more.

I wonder how many people realize just how much these other centers make, compared to Rasho.
Old 04-07-04, 11:30 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

he's a solid player and great defensive player when Healthy.
Old 04-07-04, 11:39 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazinskillz
our defense would be better than dave and tim combo
That is blasphemous.

I totally disagree with this statement. David Robinson was arguably the greatest defensive center of all time. The Admiral at 80% is better than Theo Ratliff.

I don't want to get into the Bill Russell argument again so I will just leave it at that.
Old 04-07-04, 11:41 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

His lack of O would make it a lot easier to double team TD.
Old 04-07-04, 11:52 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Every time someone has a good game or two, or gets some run at nike.com or nba.com, inevitably someone wants him on the Spurs. It's like clockwork.
Old 04-07-04, 12:02 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

^but thats not true though

Theo has played amazing for Portland..he is averaging very close to 5 blocks per game with the Blazers..THATS FREAKING CRAZY

He gets the same amount of points and rebounds as Rasho...and Theo can score if he had the chance to play with Duncan. With a great coaching staff he could become a better rebounder too

He completely changes teams focus...he is the reason Blazers hae gone from a terrible defensive team to a decent one. Players can't attack the rim like they normally do because of him
Old 04-07-04, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPURSMANIA300
^but thats not true though

Theo has played amazing for Portland..he is averaging very close to 5 blocks per game with the Blazers..THATS FREAKING CRAZY

He gets the same amount of points and rebounds as Rasho...and Theo can score if he had the chance to play with Duncan. With a great coaching staff he could become a better rebounder too

He completely changes teams focus...he is the reason Blazers hae gone from a terrible defensive team to a decent one. Players can't attack the rim like they normally do because of him
How is he gonna score?? He has no jumpshot, and he can't score from outside 5 feet from the basket.

Rasho hits that jumper to create space for Duncan. Ratliff needs to be in the post, and so does Duncan. There would be no hi-low. It wouldn't work IMO. Dave could step outside the block, and so can Rasho, if Ratliff tried that, he'd just be taking up space! He'd be useless! The beauty of Robinson-Duncan, or even Rasho-Duncan, is that the shotblocker could come from the weak side and still block a shot. Ratliff is jus a more mobile version of Mutumbo, he still needs to be directly in front of the basket to be effective.

This guy will be retired or injured again within a year or two. Bank on it.

Last edited by RichB; 04-07-04 at 12:15 PM.
Old 04-07-04, 12:18 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
=RichB
This guy will be retired or injured again within a year or two. Bank on it.

OH PLEASE

You come to this theory how? Ratliff has had injury problems in the PAST...so has Kobe, Duncan and VC..are they going to be out the league in two years time? Ratliff can actually score from around 10-12 feet when given the chance. Rasho has a better mid-range game but Ratliff brings alot more to the game than Rasho.

In the playoffs we will need to stop guards attacking the rim and if we had Theo there would be no chance those guards would be successful.
Old 04-07-04, 12:19 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB
You mean Theo Huxtable? Cause I sure as heck think he'd stay healthy for the entire year. Something Theo Ratliff hasn't done since the '98 season. 50 games in '99 don't count.
How can you consider yourself a Spurs fan and say that '99 didn't count?
Old 04-07-04, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasamohT
I said that talking about Ratliff holding up for the typical 82 game grind, which he's only done once. I never meant it as a slight to the Spurs. just that you can't compare playing all 50 games in '99 to a typical 82 game season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPURSMANIA300
OH PLEASE

You come to this theory how? Ratliff has had injury problems in the PAST...so has Kobe, Duncan and VC..are they going to be out the league in two years time? Ratliff can actually score from around 10-12 feet when given the chance. Rasho has a better mid-range game but Ratliff brings alot more to the game than Rasho.

In the playoffs we will need to stop guards attacking the rim and if we had Theo there would be no chance those guards would be successful.
Ratliff has been in the league 10-11 years and has had a recent history of back problems. I think his current bloated contract expires in a year or two, I just don't see him playing beyond that. He'll either get hurt before then, or teams will offer him the MLE, he'll balk and retire while he can still walk.

I don't see Ratliff as being more versatile than Rasho, if there is one guy who has a rep as being terribly one-dimensional, it's Ratliff. It just so happens that the one thing he does well, he does very well.

But we need more out of that position than just shot blocking. Rasho averages over 2, and Tim averages over 2, but they do other things that don't translate easily into a box score. Things that I just don't see Ratliff giving on a regular basis. He would make it easier than ever before to double TD, because like it or not, the guy is just not a scorer. He's a shot-blocker. That's it. He would take up too much room on the block, and would sap up Duncan's comfort zone. Much like Barkley was talking about Shaq/Malone.
Old 04-07-04, 01:38 PM
Now With More Eye of Newt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasamohT
i don't think that is the way he meant it.
Old 04-07-04, 01:50 PM
HorryisBLACK!

u guys can't forget how rasho spread the floor from the 1st 2 plays of the lakers game, by hitting two big shots out past the free throw line.

shaq had to start moving his fat azz and respecting that, and opened up things for everyone.

he didn't have a big game, but he defn got the first 2 shots and set the tone (i.e.: lakers u guys are gonna get spanked)
Old 04-07-04, 07:20 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Very expensive. Frequently injured. A cap-buster. Great when he's available, but his downside is huge.
That's about all anyone needs to know.
Old 04-07-04, 07:27 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I like Portland's frontcourt. They have a promising future.
But the Spurs frontcourt does too. Scola will be coming aboard
next year and possibly Jakovics the year after that.
Old 04-07-04, 11:15 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Theo 8 blocks tonight!! WOW
Old 04-07-04, 11:23 PM
HorryisBLACK!

tdunk, 6 blocks tonight.

rasho got 7 blocks a few nights ago
Old 04-07-04, 11:24 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

I'd take Theo.....and go ahead and throw in Cliff Robinson for the veteran backup role.
Old 04-08-04, 01:19 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I do not want to swap someone with juice left in the tank for someone who cant keep the tank together.

Ok we trade Rasho for Theo next year (which wont happen) and then he falls apart for the next 2 - 3 yrs then retires and then we have to go looking again

Or we can keep Rasho who is doing the job for us now who only seems to be getting better rather than crumbling and he will most probably be around for alot more years than Theo!

Why does everyone keep looking around for a new centre.... WE HAVE ONE .... and he is getting the job done.... we got the best D in the league and he scores when he needs to (ie when Tim is not, or as backup)

Keep Rasho and stop looking over the fence its not as good as it looks.

BTW That Dunc/ Dave call was way out with the Fairys, you dont compare a HOFer to an average centre
Old 04-08-04, 06:03 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

for the people that for some reason want Theo think Rasho is going anywhere?

chances are he wont be
Old 04-08-04, 08:12 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

^You and I have agreed on this all season Dizz. Rasho is not going anywhere. There is not a center that is going to become available for the Spurs that they would trade Rasho for, especially when most of these players that keep getting mentioned all want in the $10M range and Rasho makes only a little over half of that.
Theo- No
Okur- No
Dampier- No
Curry- No
Someone even proposed Jamison!- No
Someone wanted to trade for Webber- No

Rasho is better than some of you give him credit for. He has greatly improved his offensive rebounding numbers this season and he has more blocks per game than Dave had last year. He is also recently been chanigng and challenging a lot of shots- that does not show up in a box score. He sets great screens for guys on the offensive end and runs the pick-and-roll really well with TP. He has great hands- is a good catcher and passer. He is smart and understands the game well, and especially understands how the Spurs system works and has actually caught on really quickly. The guy works hard, supports his teammates, seems to be well-liked by everyone with the Spurs, and is modest and humble. You never really know until a player gets somewhere how they are going to fit in, basketball-wise and personality-wise. Rasho has fit in well both ways.
Old 04-08-04, 08:27 AM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

I really would like to wait and see what happens this playoff season
before determining what player roster moves the franchise should make.

But think, why is it that TR hasn't managed to stick with a team and yet
Rasho has? It can't all be just because of TR's salary.
Old 04-09-04, 11:28 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

You just knew I had to go find this.

Theo- $10M- 7 points; 5 rebounds; 0 assists; 0 steals; 2 blocks

Rasho- $5.4M- 16 points ; 11 rebounds; 3 assists; 1 steal; 1 block

Great game tonight by Rasho- on both ends of the floor!
Old 04-09-04, 11:43 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo spur
thats a guy to go after when his current bloated contract is up.
True that. At this moment, his contract is one of the albatrosses of the league, certainly isn't worth taking, but i wouldn't mind taking him for half the MLE to take Grandpa Willis's backup backup big seat off the bench someday.
Old 04-10-04, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpursIndonesia
True that. At this moment, his contract is one of the albatrosses of the league, certainly isn't worth taking, but i wouldn't mind taking him for half the MLE to take Grandpa Willis's backup backup big seat off the bench someday.
Theo Ratliff will not play for half of the MLE. You're dreaming.

I don't think he fits into our style, because we ask more of our center than just blocking shots. That's really Theo's specialty and other aspects of his game are still underdeveloped, and he's been playing over 10 years!

Rasho (and David before him) can step back and hit a 15 foot jumper and create space for Duncan to work. Ratliff is useless outside 5-8 ft, and has never had anything near a consistent jump shot. He would just clog up the lane, and force Duncan further and further from the post. We can't have that.

Rasho>Theo
Old 04-10-04, 12:34 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

When I say I like Theo.....I don't mean in place of Rasho. Theo would be a nice addition to the team, but in a veteran backup role.
Old 04-10-04, 01:15 AM
SpursReport Team Member

i have seen so many threads discussing trading rasho for x or y player, that i am reminded of the old curse saying: May all your wishes come true...
p.s. it curious that at some other team's sites, they also want to trade for rasho (not a lot, but still). so this is probably one of a very few occasions, that different team's fans agree...
:-))
Old 04-10-04, 11:01 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Location: Bangalore - Silicon Valley East - Ex hyderabd, Cupertino/CA & Campinas Brazil, Houston and SanAntonio

I'm happy with our team and don't want any tinkering now. After the season we'll ponder with all options.
Old 04-10-04, 11:53 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by To be named later
I'd take Theo.....and go ahead and throw in Cliff Robinson for the veteran backup role.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorryisBLACK!
u guys can't forget how rasho spread the floor from the 1st 2 plays of the lakers game, by hitting two big shots out past the free throw line.

shaq had to start moving his fat azz and respecting that, and opened up things for everyone.

he didn't have a big game, but he defn got the first 2 shots and set the tone (i.e.: lakers u guys are gonna get spanked)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorryisBLACK!
tdunk, 6 blocks tonight.

rasho got 7 blocks a few nights ago
rasho is great. when duncan is out of the game, you can throw it down to rasho and he'll hit those shots. when duncan is in, he doesn't get in his way.
Old 04-10-04, 11:57 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotefan
I just don't think that extra 1 1/2 blocks is worth almost $5M more.

I wonder how many people realize just how much these other centers make, compared to Rasho.
Rasho took a pay cut to come here too.
Old 04-11-04, 03:15 PM
SpursReport Team Member

theo + td = future
td + rasho = past

spurs need athletic centre, who can fight in the paint, and that is definitely not rasho.

Last edited by ljubljanchan; 04-12-04 at 08:53 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 04-11-04, 03:54 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Rasho isnt going anywhere and has done what the Spurs wanted from him this year

Rasho + TD = present and future beyond this season
Old 04-11-04, 04:27 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljubljanchan
theo + td = future
td + rasho = past

spurs need athletic centre, who can fight in the paint, and that is definitely not rasho.
I was extremely critical of the acquisition of Rasho but I have to admit that he's played well.

He's improved his physical toughness from his TWolve days. His shot blocking is amazing for a guy that doesn't have any hops. His rebounding has been solid.

He seems like a hard worker and still needs to work on several facets of his game.

His footwork is terrible on the offensive end. I shudder when I seen him put the ball on the floor.

His jump shot is a frozen rope. I'm not even sure if it is a jumper. He rarely misses it during shootaround but he's gotta hit it in the games on a consistent basis.

He's a terrible foul shooter, like everyone else on this team.

I give all the credit to Pop and the Spurs braintrust for transforming Rasho into a decent big man.

sum(Rasho,TD,Hedo,Manu,TP)="FUTURE"

Could Kevin Willis return for another season? I don't think he's slowed down at all.

Last edited by Slayer Min; 04-11-04 at 04:29 PM.
Old 04-11-04, 04:44 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer Min
Could Kevin Willis return for another season? I don't think he's slowed down at all.
haha.
shaq out of shape fat old body will retire before willis??? ahah. wouldn't that be sad...and funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder_1
i think theo would be just wicked playin along side with duncan. the only thing is that have nestro already and salary would be problem.

so lets pretend money and space wasnt a problem who would you want as your center? theo or nestro?

i think theo can do the job quite well, low offensive input but defensive input would be off the charts
so lets pretend money and space wasnt a problem who would you want as your center? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
????
Ummmmm... 1)Yao Ming 2)Yao Ming 3)Yao Ming
4)BenWallace 5)Brad Miller 6)Boozer? 7)DirkNowitzki 8) Nesterovitch
9)and10)**If can stay healthy**Ratliff and Camby 10) Magloiore 11)Kwame Brown
Old 04-11-04, 05:12 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljubljanchan
theo + td = future
td + rasho = past

Someone hijack your screen name?
Old 04-11-04, 05:17 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChumpDumper
Someone hijack your screen name?
I wondered the same thing!
Old 04-12-04, 01:57 AM
SpursReport Team Member

just joking
wanted to see how it feels the other way around, i.e. attacking rasho instead defending him :-)) if it was out of order, i apologise for it.

go Rasho!!
Old 04-12-04, 08:34 AM

It wasn't out of order, it was just strange. Next time put a symbol like or at the end of your post so that we will know that you are joking.