Court shorts: Best and worst of the NBA

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/b...t.6824c86.html

Court shorts: Best and worst of the NBA

Web Posted: 10/30/2005 12:00 AM CDT

San Antonio Express-News

Express-News NBA beat writer Mike Monroe puts his own spin on the league:

BEST SHOOTER

Ray Allen, SuperSonics

By shooter, we mean among the real shooters — guards and forwards. Allen's stroke is flawless.

The Kings' Peja Stojakovic a close second.

WORST SHOOTER

Jason Williams, Heat

It's definitely a point guard named Jason, and you could almost flip a coin between Williams and the Nets' Kidd. OK, it came up heads, so it's Williams, 39 percent for his career.

BEST DEFENDER

Bruce Bowen, Spurs

Why do you think he was on the Pistons' Chauncey Billups in crunch time in Game 7 of the NBA Finals?

WORST DEFENDER

Voshon Lenard, Nuggets

Doesn't care much about guards and forwards, but watch out if you're a deer in his back yard.

BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK

Josh Howard, Mavericks

For $863,640 last season, Dallas got 12.6 points and 6.4 rebounds per game. Howard is still making less than $1 million ($923,880).

WORST BANG FOR THE BUCK

Tim Thomas, Bulls

His 2004-05 salary was $12.9 million. His 2004-05 numbers: 12.0 points, 3.3 rebounds. And this year, he gets a raise to $14 million.

MOST UNDERRATED

Chauncey Billups, Pistons

How can it be that he has never been an All-Star? Had his Pistons beaten the Spurs in Game 7, he would have been back-to-back Finals MVP.

MOST OVERRATED

Antoine Walker, Heat

Big numbers don't make you a big-time player, but he has been an All-Star

three times. Why?

BEST OFFSEASON MOVE

Lakers rehire Phil Jackson

When you're a mega-millionaire, it takes a lot to admit you were wrong. Dr. Jerry Buss did.

Zenmeister will coax Lakers back to the playoffs.

WORST OFFSEASON MOVE

Joe Johnson leaves Suns

We don't ever want to hear the phrase "It's not about the money" from Johnson's lips. Nobody volunteers to be an Atlanta Hawk, except out of greed.

MOST FUNDAMENTAL

Tim Duncan, Spurs

Come on, there's a reason Shaq dubbed him "The Big Fundamental."

MOST PLAYGROUND

Rafer Alston, Rockets

Once went to the locker room when a coach took him out of a game.

MOST EXCITING

Dwyane Wade, Heat

He's the Kobe Bryant of five years ago, except a much better passer and he gets along with Shaq.

MOST BORING

Andre Miller, Nuggets

Can't jump, doesn't dunk and his "jumper" is pretty much a set shot.

FASTEST

Gilbert Arenas, Wizards

Fastest, not quickest. He'd beat anyone in an end-to-end sprint, with or without the basketball.

SLOWEST

Dikembe Mutombo, Rockets

Mutombo has this distinction until the first game Dallas' Pavel Podkolzine actually gets on the court.

BEST HANDS

Chris Webber, 76ers

Catches everything that comes into the post, regardless of how bad the pass is.

WORST HANDS

Nazr Mohammed, Spurs

Roberto "Hands of Stone" Duran had nothing on Nazr, whose value to Spurs is not based on running the offense through the pivot.

MOST ATHLETIC

Jason Richardson, Warriors

He has got the full package of physical skills and sports the best hang time in the league.

LEAST ATHLETIC

Danny Fortson, SuperSonics

Should be playing in the NFL and not at tight end, either. Nose tackle would suit him.

TOUGHEST

Allen Iverson, 76ers

May be the all-time NBA leader in playing with injuries and he never, ever backs down.

SOFTEST

Keith Van Horn, Mavericks

Mix it up inside? You must be joking.

BEST FLOPPER

(the Vlade Divac Award)

Manu Ginobili, Spurs

Admit it, Spurs fans. If Manu played for another team, you would hate his flopping, too. He wins this because he gets away with it so often.

WORST FLOPPER

(also the Vlade Divac Award)

Mark Madsen, Timberwolves

Flops often, flops big and usually gets called for the block.

BEST HAIR

Ben Wallace, Pistons

(Afro style)

If nothing else, it makes an undersized center seem 7-foot tall.

WORST HAIR

Chris Andersen, Hornets

He calls himself "The Birdman" and his 'do usually looks like a bird's nest.

BEST NAME

Zaza Pachulia, Hawks

When your name sounds like a cologne, you've got something going for you.

WORST NAME

Ervin Johnson, Bucks

Who knew the absence of one little "a" could turn Magic into Tragic?

BEST ARENA

Conseco Fieldhouse, Indianapolis

Great place to watch a game. Indiana basketball museum features shrine to high school team that inspired "Hoosiers."

WORST ARENA

Continental Airlines Arena, East Rutherford, N.J.

It's old and cramped, with a tiny visitors locker room, and it's in that goofy Meadowlands sports "complex."

BEST REFEREE

Steve Javie

Now that he has gotten over being a hothead, he's the guy you want to see in the biggest of games.

WORST REFEREE

Violet Palmer

This is not a sexist pick. Why do you think she never has worked a playoff game?
Old 10-30-05, 10:26 AM
SpursReport Rookie

WORST HANDS

Nazr Mohammed, Spurs

Roberto "Hands of Stone" Duran had nothing on Nazr, whose value to Spurs is not based on running the offense through the pivot.

worst hands....that is an understatement. Nazi can never catch the initial pass, I was a nervous wreck when they threw him the ball somtimes, then when he gets it down low he travels a lot......Nazi stick to playing D and getting boards. I thought Malik had bad hands......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-30-05, 03:14 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I'm surprised Tim didn't get 'most boring'.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-30-05, 06:21 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I can't believe Nash didn't get worst hair. He's a millionare and he looks like he's out of a 1970's high school yearbook with that hair.
Old 10-30-05, 06:35 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Sprewell has bad hair as well. (Fortson too but he already won a negative award)
Old 10-30-05, 07:07 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Still wish Spurs drafted Howard. Oh well.....

"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at this rock perhaps 100 times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the 101st blow, it will split in two and I know it was not that blow that did it. But all that had gone before." - Jacob Riis
Old 10-30-05, 07:16 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Nazr doesn't displace Malik as the All Thumbs champ. Nazr had 1.4 turnovers in 25 minutes, Malik had 1.34 in 19 minutes so Malik had more turnovers per minute played. And this was despite the fact that Nazr was touching the ball more- 9.5 points and 7.6 rebounds to Malik's 7 points and only 4.5 rebounds. On the turnover per 48 minute ranking for last season Malik came in 40th and Nazr didn't make the list. Tony and Manu were 15th and 16th on the list but they see the ball a lot more often than Malik.
Old 10-30-05, 07:21 PM

Nazr can still have the worst hands yet Malik be more turnover prone. Malik has a little more offensive game than Nazr, so I'd expect him to risk a little more. Sometimes he over did it, but even with Malik's overplaying sometimes, he still is a better offensive player than Nazr. Too bad Malik didn't have Nazr's size. Oh well.

Lets hope Nazr can improve with more time in the system.

"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at this rock perhaps 100 times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the 101st blow, it will split in two and I know it was not that blow that did it. But all that had gone before." - Jacob Riis
Old 10-30-05, 08:35 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurs Brazil
[
MOST UNDERRATED

Chauncey Billups, Pistons

How can it be that he has never been an All-Star? Had his Pistons beaten the Spurs in Game 7, he would have been back-to-back Finals MVP.
No way! If (shudder) the Pistons had won, Ben Wallace would have been a lock for Finals MVP.
Old 10-30-05, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelden
No way! If (shudder) the Pistons had won, Ben Wallace would have been a lock for Finals MVP.
I have to disagree there. It would be Billups. He was awesome again, in the Finals, in every game(except one). Wallace was missing for the first two. Billups was really a thorn in the Spurs side. Heck it forced Pop to stick Bowen on him.

Last edited by Grego; 10-30-05 at 08:54 PM.
Old 10-30-05, 08:54 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

^^Maybe so. I just got watched game 7 again and Big Ben was everywhere in that game, especially with Rasheed and McDyess in foul trouble. Billups was very quiet in that game--only made 3 of his FGA. So maybe I let game 7 weigh too much.
Old 10-30-05, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelden
^^Maybe so. I just got watched game 7 again and Big Ben was everywhere in that game, especially with Rasheed and McDyess in foul trouble. Billups was very quiet in that game--only made 3 of his FGA. So maybe I let game 7 weigh too much.
I guess, Billups was slowed down more in the final game. That is true, but he was pretty consistent throughout. I also think he showed why he deserved the Finals MVP the year before to any doubters who previously didn't believe he deserved it.

Old 10-31-05, 01:24 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesR
The reason Nazr's bad hands made such an impression on people is that they became worse the further into the playoffs the Spurs went (at least it seemed they did, I don't have the stats in front of me)
C'mon, Nazr hands are so bad that the doctor's wouldn't let him hold his own baby!!