News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-05, 03:00 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Baron Davis Heads Charley Rosen's List Of Most Over Rated Players

What is Charley Smoking. Baron Davis is the best poing guard in the league. He can defend any point guard in the league and there arent any that can guard him. I think he just gets a bad rap because of his last few years in New Orleans. everywhere player has their breaking point when it comes to losing, team wasnt moving in the right direction.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-28-05, 03:03 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I think he's still mad from being cut from his pee wee league team and decided he was going to spend the rest of life getting back at those players that were better than him!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-28-05, 03:11 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thabanga510
What is Charley Smoking. Baron Davis is the best poing guard in the league. He can defend any point guard in the league and there arent any that can guard him. I think he just gets a bad rap because of his last few years in New Orleans. everywhere player has their breaking point when it comes to losing, team wasnt moving in the right direction.
Now you're overratin' Baron. Baron is a solid PG. BUT IN NO WAY IS HE THE BEST PG IN THE LEAGUE.
Old 10-28-05, 03:14 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Real
Now you're overratin' Baron. Baron is a solid PG. BUT IN NO WAY IS HE THE BEST PG IN THE LEAGUE.
Thank you. Baron was on his way to being a top-tier PG before the injuries got to him. But now he's just a decent PG. No way would I rate him above Kidd, Nash, Billups, etc. Heck, I'd have a hard time choosing between him and Tony.

Last edited by Kirby; 10-28-05 at 05:09 PM.
Old 10-28-05, 03:16 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I've got Stevie Francis heading my list. Guy kills half the shot clock by pounding the ball and then throws up a low percentage shot. There's a reason he wasn't an All-star last year, despite all his talent. Toine, Cat Mobley, Corey Maggette are slightly behind. Bosh, Carlos Arroyo, 'Melo, and Rashard Lewis are up there too, although they all have significant chances to get better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby
Thank you. Baron was on his way to being a top-tier PG before the injuries got to him. But now he's just a decent PG. No way would I rate him above Kidd, Nash, Bibby, etc. Heck, I'd have a hard time choosing between him and Tony.
Ahhh you're giving me Baron v. Tony flashbacks....START THE SEASON ALREADY!!!
Old 10-28-05, 03:19 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
No way would I rate him above Kidd, Nash, Bibby
I understand Kidd and Nash, but if your talking about the best PG's how the hell does Bibby make the list? Bibby is grossly over-rated as well.
Old 10-28-05, 03:21 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I think he's not over rated. He's just too oft-injured. I think his only problem, when healthy, is his love of hoisting up the 3.

I think he's lost a step or 2 with his injuries. And what he did the past few seasons in NO as well as diminished his reputation.

But on talent alone, I think he's up there. But he wouldn't be my first choice for point guard these days though.
Old 10-28-05, 03:21 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Marbury heads my list of most over-rated, but Baron is on there too. Anyone who's going to shoot as many 3's as Baron does should really be better at it than he is.
Old 10-28-05, 03:22 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I Love Tony Parker, but there is no way Tony can guard him it'll be a mismatch. Baron cauld bother him enough on the defensive end just by being physical. This year will show how just how good Baron is when he torching the opposing teams.
Old 10-28-05, 03:26 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotes_geek
Marbury heads my list of most over-rated, but Baron is on there too. Anyone who's going to shoot as many 3's as Baron does should really be better at it than he is.
Agreed. He could be elite if he didn't take seven 3's a game. Imagine how good Sheed, Walker, Diener, and B. Davis could be if they used their natural skills rather than hanging around shooting on the perimeter. Alright, maybe not so much Diener...
Old 10-28-05, 03:26 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

oh yeh, cause teams won't be focused on Baron Davis when it comes to defending the Hornets?

.....sadly Baron is a good PG on a terrible team. You ARE overrating him if you think he is the BEST PG in the league. I would rate him #5.....as for Parker maybe #8.
Old 10-28-05, 03:28 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman21
oh yeh, cause teams won't be focused on Baron Davis when it comes to defending the Hornets?

.....sadly Baron is a good PG on a terrible team. You ARE overrating him if you think he is the BEST PG in the league. I would rate him #5.....as for Parker maybe #8.
Haha...you're right....they won't...seeing as how he plays for the Warriors.

Last edited by Spaceman Spiff; 10-28-05 at 03:31 PM.
Old 10-28-05, 03:31 PM
SpursReport Rookie

This year Baron is go lead the warriors to the playoffs and hopefully he'll get his respect. He's actually going to be healthy this season, the healthiest he's been in a few years. Him and J-Rich are going kills teams.
Old 10-28-05, 03:31 PM
SpursReport Team Member

injuries and penchant for ill-advised threes, he is one of the most talented. but overrated? no. watch what he does w/the warriors this season. what a difference a player makes.
Old 10-28-05, 03:35 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:

I always loved Dennis Rodman's game and if he could still play ball, I 'll pick him over most power forwards in the league. Rodman paved the way for players like Big Ben he was Mr. Defense., but he did it mentally and physically. What does everyone think about Rodman since the league has pretty much blackballed him out of the league.
Quote:
Allright, you've got Rodman at 44 at the 4 spot and now Davis at the 1
Who else to round out this superlative team?
Old 10-28-05, 03:38 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Baron Davis is the best poing guard in the league.
In his own mind anyway...
Old 10-28-05, 03:43 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Well it's hard to decide on the 5 spot. Ralph Sampson was just arrested for not paying child support and you got Jason Williams who killed a man So I think I'll take both. Kobe will have to be the two guard and for my 3 spot I'll probably choose Eddie Griffin he's crazy.

Put Baron against any point guard of your choosing and he'll eat them alive.
Old 10-28-05, 03:43 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Him and J-Rich are going kills teams.
Thanks for that, I needed a good giggle.
Old 10-28-05, 03:45 PM
MomBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNate
In his own mind anyway...
Old 10-28-05, 04:17 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff
Haha...you're right....they won't...seeing as how he plays for the Warriors.
i really did mean to put warriors....I kinda lump all "those" teams into one branch in my head. Clippers, Warrior, Hornets, Bulls, Raptors....all teams who forever suck.
Old 10-28-05, 04:23 PM
SpursReport Team Member

The Golden State Warriors and Utah Jazz are two overrated teams. Davis is a guarantee to miss 25 games a year and their froncourt is weak. Utah has Giricek and Brown at SG, terrible for the starting spot, Williams as a rookie PG and a Boozer who is unhappy and complaining about injuries ever since joining the Jazz.
Old 10-28-05, 04:25 PM
SpursReport Team Member

For whomever said it I would take Tony over Baron in a heartbeat.

-J.W.
Old 10-28-05, 05:09 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo spur
I understand Kidd and Nash, but if your talking about the best PG's how the hell does Bibby make the list? Bibby is grossly over-rated as well.
I meant to put Billups. Magnificent must have possessed by body there for a second or something. It has been edited. Thank you.

Last edited by Kirby; 10-28-05 at 05:12 PM.
Old 10-28-05, 05:19 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I'm a HUGE Baron Davis fan...to be honest. I think he's a good guy, great for the community, and he's a really surprisingly innovative business mind. Check out his website..kinda impressive.

Enough non-basketball stuff. Davis isn't over rated. He easily makes the Top 5 PG list of anyone who has the slightest bit of NBA knowledge. No? Name 4 better. He's a great, positive leader. Creative and flashy, but his style has substance. He's an average defender but his strength allows him to guard 2 guards. His speed is far superior to players smaller than him as well. He's really clutch too...
Old 10-28-05, 05:24 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Where's the link?
Old 10-28-05, 05:26 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

baron davis is not the best, but in the top 3. even through his injury he's still a 20ppg 5+ assists player. he's done a good job in golden state. finished 19-3 last season.
Old 10-28-05, 05:34 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesR
I wouldn't lump the Warriors into the "suck" category. They have a very good team this year and ended last season on a tear.
it's true, and they've always had a really good defense and rebounding team.
Old 10-28-05, 05:39 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
I meant to put Billups. Magnificent must have possessed by body there for a second or something. It has been edited. Thank you.

OK, billups is a much better choice.
Old 10-28-05, 05:49 PM
MomBear

Old 10-28-05, 05:57 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Put Baron against any point guard of your choosing and he'll eat them alive.
Baron is head and shoulders against a host of PGs in the league offensively. He's very talented- a genius with the ball, he has the body to muscle any PG one-on-one, he has good range on his J (though streaky), and he is a fairly good passer. However, sayin' that Baron is the best PG in the game when we still ahve JKidd, Nash, Billups? That's not fair to him to pronounce him king of the backcourt.
Old 10-28-05, 06:09 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Here's the link for those who want to read the article. I'm sorry but I'll rank BD above Nash because he has no defense whatsoever.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/4979342
Old 10-28-05, 06:16 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

how many point guards last year averaged over 19ppg and 5+ assists per game
Old 10-28-05, 06:24 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

If Baron Davis had been healthy his whole career, he might very well be the best PG in the NBA. He is in the top tier, but I wouldn't chose him over Nash or Kidd. If he had been healthy, he might be the best.
Old 10-28-05, 06:25 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLogo
For whomever said it I would take Tony over Baron in a heartbeat.

-J.W.
so would I

best ever?
Old 10-28-05, 06:30 PM
SpursReport Rookie

B-Diddy was in the thick of the MVP discussion a couple of years ago before his injury. He may have lost a step, but the guy has top 5 PG stuff, and is not a cancer like Marbury/Francis etc. Solid shooter, great off the dribble, good distributer, good defender (better than Nash, anyway), knows his role. And yes GS will be in contention for the 8 spot this year in the west, mark my words.

I don't understand any of the negativity towards this guy, from Rosen or any of you. He may not be the best PG in the league, but he certainly has the potential, and he wasn't far off from earning that moniker not 2 years ago, so lets slow down with all the hate.
Old 10-28-05, 06:32 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Rosen
Davis' numerous ill-advised shots are symptomatic of his selfishness, carelessness and habit of playing out of control.
Prior to last season when was the last time he had a decent teammate not named Magloire to share the ball with?
Old 10-28-05, 06:50 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I guess I'd say Davis is #5 in the PG list.

1. Nash
2. Kidd
3. Iverson
4. Billups
5. Davis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackc852
Prior to last season when was the last time he had a decent teammate not named Magloire to share the ball with?
Jamal Mashburn (pre-injuries).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Flanders
I don't understand any of the negativity towards this guy, from Rosen or any of you. He may not be the best PG in the league, but he certainly has the potential, and he wasn't far off from earning that moniker not 2 years ago, so lets slow down with all the hate.
I don't think anyone thinks he isn't a good player. We're just responding to the original poster saying he's the BEST PG in the the league. That is overrating him.

Like I said, before his injuries, Baron was well on his way to being one of the best, if not the best PG in the league. I've always liked Baron... especially when he was a Charlotte Hornet (not New Orleans... booooo!).
Old 10-28-05, 07:05 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I assume those who would take Tony Parker over Baron Davis are taking Baron's health into heavy consideration.
Old 10-28-05, 07:08 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnac The Magnificent
I assume those who would take Tony Parker over Baron Davis are taking Baron's health into heavy consideration.
Health, age, and we already know the chemistry is there.

None of those things should be quickly overlooked.
Old 10-28-05, 07:12 PM
SpursReport Rookie

If I was starting a team and had to choose between Baron and Tony. Baron will be the easy pick.
Old 10-28-05, 07:31 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:

Jamal Mashburn (pre-injuries).
thanks Kirby but that didn't last long did it.

those Baron-Jamal teams weren't bad way back when.
Old 10-28-05, 08:59 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
If I was starting a team and had to choose between Baron and Tony. Baron will be the easy pick.
Obviously.
Old 10-29-05, 03:36 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Dude, where's the link to Rosen's article?

How does Rosen's list go? Can someone please post it.
Old 10-29-05, 03:52 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:

1. Nash
2. Kidd
3. Iverson
4. Billups
5. Davis
I'd take Iverson 1 and Baron 2 w/ that list at the point guard position, neither has been surrounded w/ comparable talent as the others on that list.........

"If he dies, he dies." - Ivan Drago
Old 10-29-05, 11:10 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog
Allright, you've got Rodman at 44 at the 4 spot and now Davis at the 1
Who else to round out this superlative team?
er...Samaki Walker is still around
Old 10-29-05, 02:05 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I watched Baron for a few years in Charlotte when he was at the top of his game. The guy is by far not overatted he is pretty damn good PG and if he is healthy he could make a run for the best in the league. If you think he is overatted then you probably haven't ever really watched him play.

As much as I love Tony I would take Baron over him anyday because the man is fearless,clutch, and has taken his team out of the first round a few times while being the number 1 guy on his team. That to me is more difficult then being a second or third option. Baron's best playoff runs and career averages are by far better then Tony's. Plus he doesn't dissapear during games when the opposing team gets physical which has been the case with Tony.

I remember in the first round against Orlando a few years ago with Tmac guarding him Baron became only the second player in NBA history average a Tripple Double in a playoff series after Magic. The year before that run he ripped apart a Miami team that were the heavy favorites to go to the finals and almost single handingly eliminated a talented Bucks team that had 3 all-stars in Cassell,Allen,Big Dog.

Plus he is a team play he just gets a bad rap for what happened the last few years in New Orleans. I would put the blame more on the crappy ownership and the moves they made with the Hornets then I would with Baron for what happened in New Orleans. For those who say he is a cancer thats bs the guy from day 1 he entered the league was always the perfect teamate. He didn't complain or whine his rookie season when Coach Silas benched him for a year and made him the backup PG to David Wesely even though he had more talent. He always had a strong relationship with Silas and even though he didn't like Byron Scott he did give him respect.

I would take Baron over the majority of PG's in this league including Kidd because he is old. The only guy I wouldn't take him over is Nash. You can all me biased but I have seen what this guy can do when he is at the top of his game and is on a talented team with a stable coach and decent management. He hasn't had that the last few years and now he has it in Golden State.
Old 10-30-05, 07:14 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Chris Webber has to be up there with the most overrated players.
Old 10-30-05, 12:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Here's the link for those who want to read the article. I'm sorry but I'll rank BD above Nash because he has no defense whatsoever.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/4979342
Ya, but look at what Nash has done with his career. Nash is far more accomplished than Baron. Baron might have D, but if he can't play 1/3rd of the season then that D and O are meaningless. Nash has been THE REASON for the best offensive teams in the NBA the past 5 years or whatever. Nobody could defend Nash in the playoffs this past season, Baron couldn't make the playoffs.
MVPs:
Nash: 1
Baron: 0