News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
  #1  
Old 10-28-05, 11:59 AM
thabanga510's Avatar
SpursReport Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 212
Shery Swoopes Admitting She was Gay

A few days ago ESPN Magazine reported that Sheryl Swoopes admitted she was gay. I personally dont't have a problem with it, she has the right to do what she wants.

But I also think it was kind of a selfish decision because she didnt take in account that now the whole WNBA will probably be perceived that way. People already had their assumptions about some players, but for a player to come out and admit it now everyone is going to believe all the players are that way. It might affect their fan base yo might have parents who won't take their kids to the games or let them watch it.

What does everyone think of her decision to come out .
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-28-05, 12:01 PM
SpursFanatic21's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 475

good for her... can't get mad for someone being honest with the fans.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-28-05, 12:06 PM
magnificent's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,985

some things you gotta keep to yourself.
__________________
"when it rains, it pours"
bob ortegel(mavericks broadcaster) on stephen jacksons 7 straight 3pointers in game 6
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-28-05, 12:09 PM
NashvilleSpur's Avatar
SpursReport Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 38

It's fine. She has a right to not hide who she is. It won't affect the fan base much at all.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-28-05, 12:11 PM
monkeyboy's Avatar
SpursReport Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin
Posts: 116

sexual preference is the same thing as race

You're born that way

would you like it if you were part black but had to pretend you weren't, just so people would accept you.

Oh wait, that used to happen, huh?

At some point, there has to be a Rosa Parks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-28-05, 12:14 PM
coyotes_geek's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 4,169

If she feels the need to tell everyone she's gay, more power to her. That's her decision.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-28-05, 12:15 PM
SpursFanatic21's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 475

agreed. i don't think it's anyone's business whether she is or not. With that said, i think it's her right to be as open about it as she wants. doesn't bother me much.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-28-05, 12:17 PM
Supernatural Anesthetist's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: NOYGDB
Posts: 1,297

Perhaps a -dress code- would help the WNBA deal with their image problem.


(Dripping with sarcasm folks)

Last edited by Supernatural Anesthetist; 10-28-05 at 12:32 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-28-05, 12:21 PM
coyotes_geek's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 4,169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernatural Anesthetist
Perhaps a dress code would help the WNBA deal with their image problem.


(Dripping with sarcasm folks)
Sarcasm noted, but you do stumble on an interesting point.

From the responses in this thread and the 5,000 other threads there are some with an apparent double standard. Some think that Stern is a racist for telling black men how they can dress under the premise of that's what he thinks is best for the image of the league, yet Sheryl Swoopes should have kept quiet about being a lesbian because that's what's best for the image of her league.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-28-05, 12:26 PM
MrDeeds's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 940

Quote:
Originally Posted by thabanga510
But I also think it was kind of a selfish decision because she didnt take in account that now the whole WNBA will probably be perceived that way.
Too late.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-28-05, 12:26 PM
Dave McNulla's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 2,578

Quote:
But I also think it was kind of a selfish decision because she didnt take in account that now the whole WNBA will probably be perceived that way. People already had their assumptions about some players, but for a player to come out and admit it now everyone is going to believe all the players are that way. It might affect their fan base yo might have parents who won't take their kids to the games or let them watch it.
if you are unaffected, why would you worry about it affects the wnba? maybe they want everyone to know that some stars are gay.
1. who didn't think there were lesbians in the wnba before? i don't think those people had televisions to watch, or money to buy tickets.
2. which parents don't want their kid to see a wnba game because a gay person plays? probably somebody who doesn't let their kid go because a black person plays.
3. when i was a kid in the 70's, i remember some other kid saying i should hate elton john because he's gay. don't you think the world have moved forward a little since then?
__________________
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein - US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Dave McNulla
Spurs Fan

Tweet Me
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-28-05, 12:37 PM
thabanga510's Avatar
SpursReport Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 212

I'll make it clear I have no problem with her being gay. I just think it isn't the image her league wants tagged to it.

I think it will have a negative affect on her league, I understand she should be who she is, but in that case it should have been that way in the beginning. All I remember seeing was her husband and son at all the games, if she was gay should have been straight with it from the get go. She was pretty much just lieing to everyone.

The world still has moved a little, but not as much as it should have. We still have the KKK, gay marriage still isn't legal in most states, The NBA just passed a racist dress code, There are numerous amounts of race related crimes, Don't even want to get into the Hurricane Katrina Incident, there were racial motives behind the repsonse time to that disaster.

S o the world hasnt moved as far as you think. You do have people in this country who wont let their kids watch or go to their games.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-28-05, 01:15 PM
skydawg's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: the dogpound
Posts: 3,525

Quote:
You're born that way
no factual evidence to support this-in fact there is more to support a psychiatric diagnosis.


as for her comments- I could care less what she does at home, that's between her and God....I think we'd all be suprised at the "private lives" of some of our heroes...notice the minnesota vikings recently. The problem I have is-this has just reinforced an awful stereotype and has put alot of high school female athlete's into danger of even worse ridicule and slander.

Quote:
The NBA just passed a racist dress code
yes all the rednecks-black and white now actually have to dress like they can afford more than the goodwill store...very racist...whatever.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-28-05, 01:17 PM
thabanga510's Avatar
SpursReport Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 212

I bet you dont dress in the hip hop style either. If someone told you how to dress you wouldnt like it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-28-05, 01:20 PM
buttsR4rebounding's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 2,943

Quote:
Originally Posted by thabanga510
But I also think it was kind of a selfish decision because she didnt take in account that now the whole WNBA will probably be perceived that way.
Wow, what a news flash...especially considering there was at least one WNBA team that had "Gay and Lesbian Night" and most WNBA teams advertise heavily in lesbian publications.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-28-05, 01:20 PM
Spaceman Spiff's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: San Antonio in a few days!
Posts: 1,041

Quote:
Originally Posted by thabanga510
I bet you dont dress in the hip hop style either. If someone told you how to dress you wouldnt like it.
If it's an employer you don't have much of a choice. I ahve to cover all my tattoos for work, but I don't mind, it's part of the job and you have to understand that. At least these guys get to wear suits instead of a shirt with a Burger King logo on it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-28-05, 01:21 PM
NashvilleSpur's Avatar
SpursReport Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 38

Actually, there is evidence to support differences in neuroanatomy between individuals who are gay and straight. These differences are more prominant in males, but evidence does exist. Either way, it shouldn't matter.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-28-05, 01:28 PM
silverblackdynasty's Avatar
SpursReport Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy
You're born that way
Good call,clown

http://sports.espn.go.com/wnba/news/story?id=2204322

"I didn't always know I was gay. I honestly didn't. Do I think I was born this way? No. And that's probably confusing to some, because I know a lot of people believe that you are," says Swoopes.

She "came out" because it was financially profitable.

"...their high-profile declarations of their gay lifestyle has been accompanied by the news that they are now endorsers of a lesbian travel service called Olivia. "

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=2204456

The whole coming out thing is pretty old now. Try telling people your a Christian! It takes courage nowadays.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-28-05, 01:37 PM
Supernatural Anesthetist's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: NOYGDB
Posts: 1,297

Quote:
no factual evidence to support this-in fact there is more to support a psychiatric diagnosis.

really..enlighten us skydawg, where can we find the evidence for a psychiatric diagnosis (perhaps the DSM-I issued in 1922)


FYI some more current information from the MERCK Manual of Diagnosis and Therapy (1999)

Quote:
About 4 to 5% of the population are preferentially homosexual for their entire lives. Since 1973, the American Psychiatric Association has not considered homosexuality a disorder. Like heterosexuality, homosexuality results from complex biologic and environmental factors leading to an almost inevitable preference in the selection of a sexual partner. For most, it is not a matter of choice. Nevertheless, many people, including physicians, regard homosexuality as immoral and sinful, and a physician's intense aversion to homosexuality (homophobia) may interfere with appropriate care of homosexuals.

Frequent sexual activity with many partners, often one-time-only encounters, indicates a diminished capacity for pair-bonding. The fear of AIDS has resulted in a decrease in casual sex. Most cultures discourage extramarital sexuality but accept premarital coitus as normal. In the USA, most people have intercourse before marriage, as part of the trend toward more sexual freedom in developed countries.

Well-informed physicians can offer sensitive, disciplined advice on sexual matters and should not miss opportunities for helpful intervention, remembering that sexual practices differ by culture and that the strength of the sexual drive, individual needs, and the frequency of sexual contact vary greatly.
and also of interest:

Quote:
Twin studies and homosexuality

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bailey and Pillard (1991): occurrence of homosexuality among brothers
52% of identical (monozygotic) twins of homosexual men were likewise homosexual
22% of fraternal (dizygotic) twins were likewise homosexual
11% of adoptive brothers of homosexual men were likewise homosexual
J.M. Bailey and R.C. Pillard, “A genetic study of male sexual orientation,” Archives of General Psychiatry, vol. 48:1089-1096, December 1991.

Bailey and Pillard (1993): occurrence of homosexuality among sisters
48% of identical (monozygotic) twins of homosexual women were likewise homosexual (lesbian)
16% of fraternal (dizygotic) twins were likewise homosexual
6% of adoptive sisters of homosexual women were likewise homosexual
Bailey, J. M. and D. S. Benishay (1993), “Familial Aggregation of Female Sexual Orientation,” American Journal of Psychiatry 150(2): 272-277.
from: http://www.worldpolicy.org/globalrig...ent/twins.html
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-28-05, 01:48 PM
BadKo's Avatar
SpursReport Rookie
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 247

Whats the WNBA?
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10-28-05, 02:11 PM
POShit21's Avatar
SpursReport Team Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 5,238

so she WAS gay, or IS gay? ...I'm confused. (.....ummm *puts generic this is a joke symbol* )
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-28-05, 02:23 PM
neurnaje's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,017

what's up with her son in all this?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-28-05, 02:58 PM
cd98's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 942

I don't know why she even bothered coming out. In today's society, someone that comes out and tells everyone that they are in love w/ the same sex is seen as a hero. I personally don't think that anyone is a hero for admitting they are gay. I also don't really care to know that information. I also assume that half the WNBA is that way. I know most of there fan base is and I also know that the NBA is very uncomfortable with that fact. The truth is that although the media portrays an individual coming out of the closet as a hero, most Americans disagree with that lifestyle. They may not hate individuals or wish harm upon them, but most parents would be heart broken to discover their children are gay. Now, given the fact that most people do not approve of the lifestyle, there is an assumption that coming out and telling everyone you are gay makes you a hero. That is wrong for two reasons: first, although we may not accept the behavior as a whole society, we are tolerant of letting people make choices for themselves; and two, nobody really watches or cares about the WNBA, making it mostly unnewsworthy. Now, if an NBA player or NFL player came out, that would take a bit more guts, but still doesn't make them a hero in my book. In fact, if you are truly confident with your lifestyle, you shouldn't have to feel compelled to tell others about it and try and make them condone it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-28-05, 03:04 PM
Hedcharg11's Avatar
SpursReport Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Say-Town, USA
Posts: 49

Worthless
News
Bearing
Announcement

zzzzzzzzzzz...

By the way, I heard that she was at UT and left because there were too many lesbians...?
__________________
Go Titans
Get Vince
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-28-05, 03:10 PM
cd98's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 942

[quote=Supernatural Anesthetist]really..enlighten us skydawg, where can we find the evidence for a psychiatric diagnosis (perhaps the DSM-I issued in 1922)


FYI some more current information from the MERCK Manual of Diagnosis and Therapy (1999)



and also of interest:



from: http://www.worldpolicy.org/globalrig...ent/twins.html[/QU

OTE]


I wouldn't put too much emphasis on these "scientific studies." First, most of them have an agenda, believe me, I am in academics and it is very clear. Second, we all put some misguided faith in science as if science proves everything and is the end all. However, as history proves, science is constantly changing back and forth because as humans, our knowledge is limited to all the facts we know at a given time, not all the facts that actually exist, thus we learn things as we go. Since we can't grasp all the variables, every 10 years, we change our line of thinking. Thus, we go back and forth on all social issues because as a new variable enters our analysis, it shifts our results. If you are putting your faith in a few scientific experiments, prepare to shift your beliefs every 10 years, if not more often. Besides, on this issue, there are conflicting scientific evidence depending mostly on who is doing the research and their objectives.

Last edited by cd98; 10-28-05 at 03:12 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 10-28-05, 03:16 PM
skydawg's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: the dogpound
Posts: 3,525

Quote:
First, most of them have an agenda
I'll add to this-It is widely known that the reason homosexuality was taken out of the DSM, was political pressure from Homosexual activist groups. Tell me-in your studies-did you also read the high incidence of substance abuse and prior sexual/physical abuse of individuals who describe themselves as homosexual.


Quote:
In fact, if you are truly confident with your lifestyle, you shouldn't have to feel compelled to tell others about it and try and make them condone it.
That is my only real issue with this-it seems to be more agenda oriented than anything else.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 10-28-05, 03:24 PM
monkeyboy's Avatar
SpursReport Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin
Posts: 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverblackdynasty
Good call,clown
If your son or daughter was gay, you'd probably be one of the ones who thought they could beat it out of them.

Or send them to "re-orientation" meetings

Get a clue
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 10-28-05, 03:26 PM
cd98's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 942

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydawg
I'll add to this-It is widely known that the reason homosexuality was taken out of the DSM, was political pressure from Homosexual activist groups. Tell me-in your studies-did you also read the high incidence of substance abuse and prior sexual/physical abuse of individuals who describe themselves as homosexual.




That is my only real issue with this-it seems to be more agenda oriented than anything else.
I have an agenda, but I don't attribute it to science. I have a point of view, but I do not hide my views on homosexuality under the guise of a scientific test. I don't pretend to have no bias. If you are for or against something, that is your right and you should be free to express it. However, there is an element of dishonesty when an individual claims to have no bias when presenting "scientific" evidence that has some inherent biases in its methodology. I think that it is difficult to enter into an experiment on social issues such as homosexuality and hide your bias. That's why I don't put a lot of emphasis on scientific studies. This and the fact that they change so often that I have learned not to put my confidence in the wisdom of men.

Last edited by cd98; 10-28-05 at 03:35 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 10-28-05, 03:36 PM
SHOWSTOPPER's Avatar
SpursReport Rookie
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SAN ANTONIO
Posts: 19

So she came out--good for her.. Imagine all the other women and men in pro sports laying low for being afraid of what might happen if they said who they love. She revealed her truth and will inspire others to do so too.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 10-28-05, 03:43 PM
frenchfred's Avatar
FrenchConnection
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Toulouse, France
Posts: 6,518

may be this thread should be moved to the cantina or somewhere else.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 10-28-05, 03:50 PM
SCdac's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,080

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy
sexual preference is the same thing as race

You're born that way
not necessarily... its the classic debate of nature vs. nuture... theres pretty substantial evidence that supports both theories.

homosexuality being 100% hereditary is NOT a fact.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 10-28-05, 03:51 PM
silverblackdynasty's Avatar
SpursReport Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy

Get a clue
Translation: I'm smarter than you and I don't have to come up with a convincing argument like you did because I'm right and you're wrong.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 10-28-05, 03:57 PM
pjjrfan's Avatar
SpursReport Assistant Coach
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: San Antonio, Tx
Posts: 9,999

I don't know about comparing sexual preference to race, but hey, it's her life, she has a right to be who she is and if she is ok with coming out, good for her. And no I won't look at every girl in the WNBA as gay.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 10-28-05, 04:49 PM
WhiteChocolateJr's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 2,617

I think it took a lot of courage to admit that she was in the WNBA.

Kudos, Sheryl.

Kudos.
__________________
Click HERE to see the rest of my "oversized" signature.
"Leadership is diving after loose balls." -Larry Bird
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 10-28-05, 06:50 PM
spurssheriff's Avatar
SpursReport Team Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 5,911

I wonder when some of the NBA guys will start coming out of their "glass" closets.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 10-28-05, 09:30 PM
monkeyboy's Avatar
SpursReport Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin
Posts: 116

^ Keith Van Horn has that "no closet can hold me" look
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 10-28-05, 09:59 PM
SoupIsGood's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Lappy Go Hucky
Posts: 2,981

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverblackdynasty
Translation: I'm smarter than you and I don't have to come up with a convincing argument like you did because I'm right and you're wrong.
Translation : I'm a giant a$shole
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 10-29-05, 10:05 AM
drcantgetright's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 819

I am not sure if I am the only psychiatrist on the message board or not, but one of the previous posters had it correct. There is neuroanatomical differences between the male heterosexual brain and the male homosexual brain, same with female hetero/homosexual brain. Most of my personal colleagues, myself included, see homosexuality as a normal biological variant.

but this still smells of Catina material
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 10-29-05, 01:10 PM
skydawg's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: the dogpound
Posts: 3,525

Thre are neurological differences in the schizophrenic (sp) brain as well as the ADHD and dyslexic brain...yet those are considered disorders...hmm.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 10-29-05, 03:34 PM
Supernatural Anesthetist's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: NOYGDB
Posts: 1,297

Twin studies are established scientific method. One cannot just discount science because those who practise it may have an agenda...if that were so we would have discount just about every study ever done and we would never see any scientific progress. One just has to pay attention to the methodology and be aware of the weaknesses used in obtaining whatever sample population they used and be careful in trying to overgeneralize your findings.

Twin studies are compelling though...and considering the -huge- difference between the # of identical twins who are both gay and that of fraternal or other siblings demonstrates just how strong a role genetics may play. Obviously its not all genetics or the # would be 100%...but it obviously plays a significant role and this is beyond dispute by most true scientists familiar with research in the field.

Enough said..this is Catina material.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 10-29-05, 04:56 PM
Money4Nothing's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Longview, TX
Posts: 3,237

I'd like to publically say: i'm not gay, i'm only moderately happy.

yeah! lol!

$
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 10-29-05, 11:12 PM
drcantgetright's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 819

Neuroanatomical differences do not imply psychopathology, just differences.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 10-29-05, 11:52 PM
schematic's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Dallas
Posts: 286

There's absolutey no evidence that your born that way.. It's unnatural.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy
sexual preference is the same thing as race

You're born that way

would you like it if you were part black but had to pretend you weren't, just so people would accept you.

Oh wait, that used to happen, huh?

At some point, there has to be a Rosa Parks
It was considered a mental disorder at late as 1973 when under political and social pressure a vote was taken that narrowly passed to reclassify the behavior. A "vote" was taken.. No scientific evidence suggested a change was needed and there is none today...

You've been brainwashed by MTV and it's ilk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy
If your son or daughter was gay, you'd probably be one of the ones who thought they could beat it out of them.

Or send them to "re-orientation" meetings

Get a clue
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 10-30-05, 12:20 AM
justbarbour's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: austin, tx
Posts: 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by schematic
It was considered a mental disorder at late as 1973 when under political and social pressure a vote was taken that narrowly passed to reclassify the behavior. A "vote" was taken.. No scientific evidence suggested a change was needed and there is none today...

You've been brainwashed by MTV and it's ilk.
And, if the "good ole days" were our barometer for proper social structures, women would be disenfranchised and blacks would be working the fields. Those beliefs weren't thrown off because of radically new evidence. Instead, our societies came to realize that equality demanded a broader concept of liberty. It's no different here.

A perfect analogy is the miscegenation legislation from our country's earlier history. Those laws weren't rejected because of scientific evidence that interracial intercourse would not, in fact, create mongoloids. Instead, we saw that it was just plain wrong to prevent the extension of liberty to interracial couples.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 10-30-05, 02:16 AM
OUSpursGal6513's Avatar
SpursReport Team Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Norman
Posts: 520

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydawg
Thre are neurological differences in the schizophrenic (sp) brain as well as the ADHD and dyslexic brain...yet those are considered disorders...hmm.
There are neurological differences between doctors and artists, actors and accountants, and men and women. Just because the disorders you mentioned are actual disorders it does not make other neurological differences disorders.

Even if it was a disorder, why does it matter? If it is a disorder, it's a disorder. We don't banish the dyslexics and ADHDers from society...so why would we discriminate against another group for the disorder that they supposedly have?
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 10-31-05, 10:13 AM
Menudo Terremoto Williams's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: grew up in Say-town, now I live in Buffalo '66
Posts: 2,816

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydawg
no factual evidence to support this-in fact there is more to support a psychiatric diagnosis.
No factual evidence, huh? Here are just 4 articles out of 100+ from Web of Science....

Everyone - Please come correct and do your research before you engage in political or scientific discourse.... Don't let religion, the stork, the way you were brought up confuse reality and myth. Myth has its place in all of our lives, but it doesn't in science....


XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Title: A LINKAGE BETWEEN DNA MARKERS ON THE X-CHROMOSOME AND MALE SEXUAL ORIENTATION
Author(s): HAMER DH, HU S, MAGNUSON VL, HU N, PATTATUCCI AML
Source: SCIENCE 261 (5119): 321-327 JUL 16 1993
Document Type: Article
Language: English
Cited References: 51 Times Cited: 293
Abstract: The role of genetics in male sexual orientation was investigated by pedigree and linkage analyses on 114 families of homosexual men. Increased rates of same-sex orientation were found in the maternal uncles and male cousins of these subjects, but not in their fathers or paternal relatives, suggesting the possibility of sex-linked transmission in a portion of the population. DNA linkage analysis of a selected group of 40 families in which there were two gay brothers and no indication of nonmaternal transmission revealed a correlation between homosexual orientation and the inheritance of polymorphic markers on the X chromosome in approximately 64 percent of the sib-pairs tested. The linkage to markers on Xq28, the subtelomeric region of the long arm of the sex chromosome, had a multipoint lod score of 4.0 (P = 10(-5)), indicating a statistical confidence

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Title: Born gay? The psychobiology of human sexual orientation
Author(s): Rahman Q, Wilson GD
Source: PERSONALITY AND INDIVIDUAL DIFFERENCES 34 (8): 1337-1382 JUN 2003
Document Type: Review
Language: English
Cited References: 257 Times Cited: 12
Abstract: Sexual orientation is fundamental to evolution and shifts from the species-typical pattern of heterosexuality may represent biological variations. The growth of scientific knowledge concerning the biology of sexual orientation during the past decade has been considerable. Sexual orientation is characterised by a bipolar distribution and is related to fraternal birth order in males. In females, its distribution is more variable; females being less prone towards exclusive homosexuality. In both sexes homosexuality is strongly associated with childhood gender nonconformity. Genetic evidence suggests a heritable component and putative gene loci on the X chromosome. Homosexuality may have evolved to promote same sex affiliation through a conserved neurodevelopmental mechanism. Recent findings suggest this mechanism involves atypical neurohormonal differentiation of the brain. Key areas for future research include the neurobiological basis of preferred sexual targets and correlates of female homosexuality.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXx

Title: Human sexual orientation has a heritable component
Author(s): Pillard RC, Bailey JM
Source: HUMAN BIOLOGY 70 (2): 347-365 APR 1998
Document Type: Article
Language: English
Cited References: 83 Times Cited: 15
Abstract: We present an overview of behavioral genetics research on homosexual and heterosexual orientation. Family, twin, and adoptee studies indicate that homosexuality and thus heterosexuality run in families. Sibling, twin, and adoptee concordance rates are compatible with the hypothesis that genes account for at least half of the variance in sexual orientation, We note observations of homosexual behavior in animal species, but the analogy to human sexual orientation is unclear. We discuss the reproductive disadvantage of a homosexual orientation and present possible mechanisms that could maintain a balanced polymorphism in human populations.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX


The Genetics of Sexual Orientation. [References].
Hyde, Janet Shibley (Ed). (2005). Biological substrates of human sexuality. (pp. 9-20). ix, 207 pp. Washington, DC, US: American Psychological Association.

Abstract (from the introduction) In this chapter, the author reviews the evidence on whether there is a genetic basis for sexual orientation. Much of the evidence comes from studies of identical (monozygotic or MZ) twins compared with fraternal (dizygotic or DZ) twins and their concordance for homosexuality--or, more precisely, nonheterosexual orientation, including both homosexuality and bisexuality. Sufficient studies using strong methods now exist to support the conclusion that nonheterosexual orientation is moderately heritable. Other researchers have advanced the hypothesis that homosexuality in some men is influenced by a gene on the X chromosome, called Xq28. The replicability of these findings is somewhat ambiguous. Results of the first genomewide scan for male sexual orientation, published in 2005, are included. The author also reviews genomic research with other species such as fruit flies, which has identified specific genes controlling specific aspects of sexual behavior such as the courtship ritual. Finally, the author considers the ethical issues that will arise if specific genes influencing homosexual orientation are identified.
__________________

"Into Sean Elliott. He fires the three. AND HITS IT!"

Last edited by Menudo Terremoto Williams; 10-31-05 at 10:26 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 10-31-05, 10:43 AM
Supernatural Anesthetist's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: NOYGDB
Posts: 1,297

God would NEVER create someone GAY!

Remember when lobotomies were considered efficacious mental health treatment... damn lobbyests.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 10-31-05, 11:24 AM
Dave McNulla's Avatar
SpursReport Team Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 2,578

Quote:
Originally Posted by thabanga510
I'll make it clear I have no problem with her being gay. I just think it isn't the image her league wants tagged to it.
it's called diversity. many different people, different races, different skills, working together for one goal.
Quote:
I think it will have a negative affect on her league, I understand she should be who she is, but in that case it should have been that way in the beginning. All I remember seeing was her husband and son at all the games, if she was gay should have been straight with it from the get go. She was pretty much just lieing to everyone.
so you feel deceived or you worry that she's gay and that's how the league will be portrayed but she should have said it from the beginning? you don't have a clear agenda in this post
Quote:
The world still has moved a little, but not as much as it should have. We still have the KKK, gay marriage still isn't legal in most states, The NBA just passed a racist dress code, There are numerous amounts of race related crimes, Don't even want to get into the Hurricane Katrina Incident, there were racial motives behind the repsonse time to that disaster.
obviously when people who have no stake complain about somebody saying who they are.
Quote:
S o the world hasnt moved as far as you think. You do have people in this country who wont let their kids watch or go to their games.
yes, there are bigots and racists. but are they really stopping their attendance, or did they never go in the first place?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Menudo Terremoto Williams
No factual evidence, huh? Here are just 4 articles out of 100+ from Web of Science....

Everyone - Please come correct and do your research before you engage in political or scientific discourse.... Don't let religion, the stork, the way you were brought up confuse reality and myth. Myth has its place in all of our lives, but it doesn't in science....
you are right, there are studies supporting that premise. sheryl actually said she wasn't gay, now she is. that means she turned gay.
__________________
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein - US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Dave McNulla
Spurs Fan

Tweet Me
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 10-31-05, 11:40 AM
Supernatural Anesthetist's Avatar
SpursReport Team Bench
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: NOYGDB
Posts: 1,297

Quote:
you are right, there are studies supporting that premise. sheryl actually said she wasn't gay, now she is. that means she turned gay.
Obviously genetics isn't the complete story...it gives the disposition which may vary in intensity from person to person. Expression of a disposition is variable depending not only on its strength but also a myriad of developmental, psychological, and environmental factors. This is why some homosexuals appear to have a choice while others have very strong aversions to heterosexuality.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.7.4 Copyright © 2000-2008 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0