LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-05, 08:38 AM
Official SR Home Builder

The Official Spurs vs Miami Game Thread

Heat, Spurs play today, but looking down road
Web Posted: 10/10/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

MIAMI — Perhaps eight months from now, if Michael Finley and Antoine Walker have adjusted to no longer being full-time starters; if Nick Van Exel and Gary Payton have graciously accepted fewer minutes; if Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili have successfully weathered another season, and Shaquille O'Neal and Dwyane Wade have done the same; then the Spurs and Miami Heat might find themselves paired in the NBA Finals.

For now, however, the teams aren't looking too much past their preseason opener tonight at American Airlines Arena. While the exhibition is for a good cause — the game's proceeds will go to help victims of Hurricane Katrina — it's still an exhibition.

"We're not expecting a whole lot from them, and they're not going to expect a whole lot from us," Duncan said. "But it's a great opportunity to see what they have and what they're working with."

The Heat, like the Spurs, are working with a few new pieces.

After falling short against Detroit in the seventh game of last season's Eastern Conference finals, Miami remade its roster by acquiring Walker in a sign-and-trade deal with Boston; trading for Memphis point guard Jason Williams and swingman James Posey; and signing veteran point guard Payton. In the process, Miami lost two starters: point guard Damon Jones and small forward Eddie Jones, one of its best defenders.

"It's going to be cool to see how they look," Robert Horry said. "But you know, you're not going to really see anything. They're going to try to work a lot of guys who are new into the offense and check out rookies and people trying to make the team."

The Spurs will likely do the same. Before flying here Sunday afternoon, the team ended training camp with one more practice in St. Thomas, U.S Virgin Islands. So far, coach Gregg Popovich likes what he has seen from his new additions: Finley, Van Exel and Fabricio Oberto.

"It's been a good week," Popovich said. "We kind of picked up where we left off. With all their experience, the new guys just caught everything really quickly and had no problem."

The Spurs and Heat initially weren't scheduled to play each other in the preseason. After Hurricane Katrina hit, officials from both teams agreed to add the game to their schedule to raise money for the Gulf Coast victims.

Horry, who is from Alabama, said his family was spared the storm's worst. But he saw its effect in Houston when thousands of evacuees were brought to the Astrodome. He also visited evacuees in Austin and held a charity poker tournament to raise money for those displaced by the storm.

"It's amazing how many people need help," Horry said. "I'm just happy (the NBA) is still trying to give help. A lot of times when it's not on the news as much, people kind of forget about it. This keeps it on people's minds that those people are going to need help for years and years to come."

O'Neal, for one, would also like to put on a good show.

"Of course, it's not the Finals, so we're not going to go 1 million percent," he told the Miami Herald, "but we might go 850,000 percent."

And eight months from now?

"Who knows what might happen?" Bruce Bowen said. "I'm not saying we're going to the Finals or they're going to the Finals ... but it will be interesting."

SPURS 93
MIAMI 89
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-10-05, 08:48 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Spurs 90
Heat 86

Go Spurs Go
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-10-05, 09:01 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Do we know for sure if this is going to be televised? The Fox Sports web site doesnt list it on their program schedule.

http://msn.foxsports.com/tv/schedule

Edit - Found this:

http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/spursheat_051006.html

FSN Southwest To Televise Hurricane Relief Game

Last edited by ProjectGSX; 10-10-05 at 09:04 AM.
Old 10-10-05, 09:34 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Ahh it's good to see these official game threads again. on

I say everyone will be rusty but here it is:

Spurs 78
Heat 70
Old 10-10-05, 09:45 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

yeh I don't think you'll see scores in the 90s thats for sure:

Spurs 78
Heat 84

(this is a charity game in Miami, I don't see the Spurs laying it thick on the Heat )
Old 10-10-05, 09:47 AM
SpursReport Rookie

"It's been a good week," Popovich said. "We kind of picked up where we left off. With all their experience, the new guys just caught everything really quickly and had no problem."

this is great to hear, we havent heard this for the last 5 or 6 years when we had new people and new lineups come in .
Old 10-10-05, 10:39 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Ok I know it is Pro basketball but it is an early pre season game... It will be for entertainment and practice. I don't think anyone employeed by either squad cares about the score. Or the score means a thing......
Old 10-10-05, 10:41 AM
SpursReport Rookie

FSN is only showing it for certain places. Its blacked out in the valley, so i wont be able 2 c it, that sux!
Old 10-10-05, 10:49 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

The title of the thread gave me chills -- it's FINALLY here.

It is a charity game for the fans so I wouldn't expect much defense.

SPURS 104
HEAT 98
Old 10-10-05, 11:07 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scol

It is a charity game for the fans so I wouldn't expect much defense.

SPURS 104
HEAT 98
i agree with high scores. but i think the heat will win, just because the fact that they will not play much defense.

how about heat 104
spurs 98
Old 10-10-05, 11:36 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy from Austin
"Of course, it's not the Finals, so we're not going to go 1 million percent," he told the Miami Herald, "but we might go 850,000 percent."
Shaq may be one of the most dominating players in this era, but he is also one of the dumbest. What the $@#% is "1 million percent"?
Old 10-10-05, 12:28 PM
Official SR Home Builder

Kyle Bailey, Stephen Graham and forwards Sharrod Ford, Melvin Sanders and Jawad Williams will be getting some serious playing time.
Old 10-10-05, 12:28 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I predict Rasho goes ballistic and blocks everyone's shots on both ends of the court.

Miami: 75

Rasho: 74
Old 10-10-05, 12:46 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Did someone pee in your cornflakes? It was a joke, lighten up.

Last edited by MomBear; 10-10-05 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Quote Not appropriate.
Old 10-10-05, 12:50 PM
SpursReport Rookie

damn its blacked out on my San Antonio based dishnetwork program guide.
Old 10-10-05, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scol
I KNOW! GO SPURS GO
Old 10-10-05, 02:00 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Deimos
I predict Rasho goes ballistic and blocks everyone's shots on both ends of the court.

Miami: 75

Rasho: 74
Post-game interview: "THERE, SPURSREPORT, HOW WAS THAT?! WANNA TRADE ME NOW?!! AHHHHHHHHH!!!!" (punches interviewer and runs off into the wild)
Old 10-10-05, 02:09 PM
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

Spurs 68
Heat 66
D E F E N S E

A nail biter

Go Spurs Go

MY Spurs will win this one in Miami..
Old 10-10-05, 02:12 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I don't care is charity game, I always want to win so GO SPURS GO!!!!
Old 10-10-05, 02:16 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

105-76 spurs
Old 10-10-05, 02:22 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario_trevino
damn its blacked out on my San Antonio based dishnetwork program guide.

Hey, I have Dishnetwork also, turns out their showing it in 2 different channels, u might wanna double check, thats probly the channel for a different region or something.Im gonna be able to c it after all.
Old 10-10-05, 02:32 PM
SpursReport Regulator

Does anyone know if the Spurs/Heat game will be televised today.
If so please let us know

Thanks
Old 10-10-05, 02:57 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtristan2003
Does anyone know if the Spurs/Heat game will be televised today.
If so please let us know

Thanks
yes, it will. on FSN. that's 26 if you have time warner cable... no idea for dish.
Old 10-10-05, 02:59 PM
MomBear

GO SPURS GO!!!!!!!
Old 10-10-05, 03:33 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Go to the chatroom

Spurs 93
Heat 88

Van Exel will score 15pts
Old 10-10-05, 03:39 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy21girl
Hey, I have Dishnetwork also, turns out their showing it in 2 different channels, u might wanna double check, thats probly the channel for a different region or something.Im gonna be able to c it after all.
Thanks for the heads up i see it now on dish 446 here, i probably wouldve missed it now i can watch it
Old 10-10-05, 03:43 PM
SpursReport Team Member

It'll finally be nice to see our new additions in Spurs gear on the floor for the first time!
Old 10-10-05, 03:43 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Does anyone know if it will be on TV in Austin and if it is what time?????????
Old 10-10-05, 03:45 PM
SpursReport Rookie

will this be on national tv at all? I converted my brother into a Spurs fan but he lives in Denver. What can he do?
Old 10-10-05, 03:48 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I hope its on League Pass so then I could see it!
Old 10-10-05, 03:51 PM

chat tonight?
Old 10-10-05, 04:02 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Have not been on the chat since Game 1 Nuggets.
Will try to be there, but if it seems I still jinx it, I'll leave.
Old 10-10-05, 04:07 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Is there going to be a Pre-game show? -- or just the game at 6:30 >?
Old 10-10-05, 04:42 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Once again the genius of Shaq's wit continues to elude me.
Old 10-10-05, 04:45 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spur_Fanatic
Have not been on the chat since Game 1 Nuggets.
Will try to be there, but if it seems I still jinx it, I'll leave.
Please do.
Old 10-10-05, 04:47 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Heyyy!! this is like in the good old days, Welcome back Official Threads!!

HUEVVOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-10-05, 04:58 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Spurs 101 - Heat 100.

Ginobili beats D.Wade off the dribble for a lefty layup high off the glass and just over the outstretched fingertips of Shaquille O'Neal.

-J.W.
Old 10-10-05, 04:59 PM
Moderator & Chatroom Greeter

Chat tonite!!!!!!
[email protected]
Old 10-10-05, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHENEA
Chat tonite!!!!!!
Old 10-10-05, 05:15 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Oberto!
HUEVVOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HAHAHAHAHA!!!
HUEVOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
Old 10-10-05, 05:16 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

im excited! at this moment, I just want to see the team play together... win or lose... eager to see how all the players are meshing toghether (since we couldnt see any of the traing camp).

Last edited by SCdac; 10-10-05 at 05:19 PM.
Old 10-10-05, 05:17 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I can watch 12 (ABC), 29 (Fox), and lots of snow. So are you ready for some football! Go Steelers!
Old 10-10-05, 05:48 PM
SpursReport Team Member

It's a preseason game, so you can bet the scores will be 100+ each team.

For us internet folk, is there anywhere we can follow the game? I usually go to sportsline.com, but I don't think they've got the live updates.
Old 10-10-05, 06:32 PM
SpursReport Rookie

102-96
Old 10-10-05, 06:34 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

these broadcasters already suck
Old 10-10-05, 06:34 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I cant see the f'n game! damn it!
League Pass isnt carrying it
Old 10-10-05, 06:35 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzG
these broadcasters already suck
What, is it Hubie "Diablo Blanco" Brown?
Old 10-10-05, 06:39 PM

CHAT TIME!!
SpursReport Team Captain

no...its the heat broadcasters
SpursReport Team Bench

no its the sun sports miami crew