News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 10-08-05, 06:27 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Cleveland Coach "borrows" from Spurs

http://www.ohio.com/mld/beaconjournal/12847806.htm

CLEVELAND - There are no significant rule changes in the NBA this year, but the new ``points of emphasis'' might impact the Cavaliers.

League official Joe DeRosa, who lives in Akron, was at Quicken Loans Arena on Friday to brief Cavaliers players and coaches on the rules the league plans to tighten.

DeRosa told the Cavaliers that officials will be strictly enforcing certain rules on pick-and-rolls and modifying the defensive three-second call.

The past few years the Cavaliers haven't used the screen roll much in their offense. But coach Mike Brown's system, which barrows from the offense Rick Carlisle runs with the Indiana Pacers and Gregg Popovich has with the San Antonio Spurs, includes more of them.

Players must give opponents one step before setting a pick. This year officials plan to enforce it.

Last season, the Cavaliers lost a game last March when a late screen wasn't called. Tim Duncan of the Spurs slipped in late and floored point guard Jeff McInnis while setting a pick for Tony Parker.

Duncan then rolled and was wide open, hitting a jump shot at the buzzer to beat the Cavaliers. The Cavaliers complained to the league after reviewing the film.

``It's my job to make sure we set screens the correct way,'' Brown said. ``We can't just act like we're going to and slip out.''

On defense, players will now have to be actively guarding an opponent in the paint to avoid defensive three-second calls. Before they just had to be within reach of the player.

Brown's defensive system calls for lots of help defense and sagging to the side of the floor where the ball is, meaning the new enforcement could result in more three-second calls on the Cavaliers' big men who get caught waiting to provide help defense.

``As long as we're active on the backside, if we get hit with a three-second call now and again, I'm OK with that,'' Brown said.

``The refs are going to be trying to hammer it home in the preseason. Over time we'll get used to how they call the game and they'll get used to how we play and we'll meet in the middle.''
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-08-05, 08:12 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

I just got this sneaky feeling that the Cav's middle will be ample as long as James is on that team. I just don't see the refs killing the Cavs with a lot of ticky tacky fouls that will put James in foul trouble or his team in a hole. I wince at how the refs controlled a lot of the Bull's games and allowed Jordan carte blanche with this defensive aggressiveness. We might be seeing the same thing with the Cavs.

The fact is that with the finals ratings going down, the league might be impatient to see James in the big show.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-08-05, 10:06 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjjrfan
I just got this sneaky feeling that the Cav's middle will be ample as long as James is on that team. I just don't see the refs killing the Cavs with a lot of ticky tacky fouls that will put James in foul trouble or his team in a hole. I wince at how the refs controlled a lot of the Bull's games and allowed Jordan carte blanche with this defensive aggressiveness. We might be seeing the same thing with the Cavs.

The fact is that with the finals ratings going down, the league might be impatient to see James in the big show.
This stuff about the Finals Ratings being down has got to stop. This is an international world now. The NBA Finals were watched by more people than ever before. NBA revenues are not determined by how many Americans are watching exclusively. NBA rating will continue to slide, just as every other event except maybe the Super Bowl, because of the incredible number of entertainment choices we have.
Old 10-08-05, 10:54 AM
SpursReport Team Member

NBA rules changes and enforcement to the detriment of the Spurs is the standard operating procedure after a Spurs title.
Old 10-08-05, 11:32 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Well, if they had enforced setting picks properly, you really think Seattle takes the Spurs to 6 games? Or Rasheed doesn't get called for half a dozen illegal picks a game? The defensive 3 being called more tightly should also help the Spurs all in all.

Of course these are side issues. What pjjr mentioned is really the main issue - when will we hear about how the NBA is changing things to make official calls and non-calls more consistent?
Old 10-08-05, 04:05 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

The sponsors for the televised games are all in the US. Low ratings in the US will have a major impact on those sponsors, until foreign companies start paying to get ads in between time outs, I'm buying into the low ratings clamor.