News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-05, 06:45 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Teams emphasizing defense in training camp

I guess this is a nod to the success of the Spurs and Pistons in the last 3 years.

==========================================
ESPN reports that Phil Jackson and the Lakers are using 2/3 of practice time on defense. "Two-thirds of the practice was defensive mechanics," Lakers center Chris Mihm said. "I just haven't seen that in a while in this league. It's going to create accountability and intensity. I already know this is going to be the most valuable training camp I've ever had."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/traini...ric&id=2181392

=============================
I've also read that Coach Dwane Casey of the Timberwolves is likewise concentrating on defense.

"The biggest challenge is to come in and establish a defensive tone, a defensive identity for this team," Casey said. "Mainly because defense wins in team sports."

Casey estimated that the Wolves would spend about 60 percent of their time in training camp working on defense. If true, they must have some shoot-a-thon practices coming up just to get the average down, because the first session of the first day had a lot more D than O.

"This whole practice was defense," rookie center Dwayne Jones said after the morning workout. "It is a grind. That's like the grunt work, the dirty work. But that's where we build our foundation."

http://www.startribune.com/stories/503/5651846.html
Old 10-05-05, 09:21 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

finally! they realize spurs are on to something! let's see how they come at us with our own style, because one week of training camp isnt gonna teach them all we know. if teams are to succeed, this will be a learning season for many - take the suns as an example, or mavs.
Old 10-05-05, 09:41 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

One more: Washington.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...100401864.html

Wizards' Focus Starts With Stops
Defense Is Emphasis On First Day of Camp

By Ivan Carter
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, October 5, 2005; Page E01

RICHMOND, Oct. 4 -- The Washington Wizards were going through a half-court drill Tuesday morning, the first day of training camp on the campus of Virginia Commonwealth University, when all-star guard Gilbert Arenas found himself defending Chucky Atkins.

Arenas crouched into a defensive stance that would have made Gene Hackman's character in "Hoosiers" proud. As Atkins started to dribble, Arenas reached in, swatted the ball away and forced Atkins to chase the ball down near midcourt.

The effort drew applause from Coach Eddie Jordan and Arenas's teammates, who are clearly buying into Jordan's belief that the Wizards must become a better defensive team after allowing opponents to shoot 45.9 percent and average 100.8 points per game last season.

Of course, it would help if such a movement were led by the franchise player.

"They're going to make me play D this year," joked Arenas, who finished seventh in the league in scoring with a 25.5 points per game average last season but didn't exactly earn a reputation as a lockdown defender.

"It's about growing up and that's one of the areas where I have to grow up in," Arenas said. "I worked hard this summer on all of my abilities and that's one of them. I'm going to take defense very serious this year and if I start slacking off, I have teammates who will keep me into it."

Any defensive improvement must come despite the absence of guard Larry Hughes, the team's best defender last season who signed with Cleveland as a free agent over the summer. Hughes typically drew the opposing team's best offensive guard, and his uncanny knack for reading the passing lanes helped him lead the league in steals.

Jordan believes his team can improve defensively even without Hughes because the addition of Atkins should allow Arenas more rest, which in turn should allow Arenas to expend more energy on the defensive end.

Also, Jordan is banking on the addition of guard Antonio Daniels and the healthy return of swingman Jarvis Hayes to change the team's overall defensive approach. Daniels won't play the passing lanes like Hughes, but he's a tough on-the-ball defender who often closed out games for Seattle last season in place of starting point guard Luke Ridnour.

"With Brendan [Haywood] back there, we did a good job at the rim," said Jordan of his 7-foot, 266-pound, fifth-year center. "What I want is for us to do a better job of cutting off penetration. We were able to get a lot of steals playing the passing lanes and that's good, but we can't allow guys to just blow by us and get into the paint. That's where we were hurt a lot of times defensively."

However, Jordan is preaching defense with one caveat: He still wants to score in bunches. The Wizards ranked sixth in scoring with a 100.5 points per game average while shooting a solid 43.7 percent last season. Arenas, Jamison and Hughes were the league's top scoring trio, and the Wizards led the NBA in offensive rebounding.

"We have to be balanced," Jordan said. "We have to execute on offense but, at the same time, we have to play better defense. We have to remember who we are. I'm going to go with my strength. If I think that we're a pressure team that's going to create turnovers like we did last year, that's what we'll do. If I think we have the personnel to be a little more physical, to be a little more half-court oriented and not press as much, that's what we'll do. A lot of it is about personnel."

But it's also about attitude, according to Caron Butler, who played under one of the most defensive-minded coaches in NBA history, Pat Riley, as a rookie with the Miami Heat. Butler, who was acquired in the offseason along with Atkins from the Los Angeles Lakers for forward Kwame Brown, has averaged 13.5 points per game during his first three years in the league while swinging between shooting guard and small forward. He believes the Wizards can use better defense to feed their offense.

"Defense can help you get on some magnificent runs and put teams away," Butler said. "That's what we're looking forward to because we know we can score. We have a lot of offensive-minded guys that can fill it up so, if we get stops, we'll have no problems on the other end."
Old 10-05-05, 09:45 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Well, with the T-wolves and the Lakers, that's going to be their only hope to really get deep is to pick it up defensively. I don't know if that's so much a nod to the Spurs/Pistons as it is an absolute necessity.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-05-05, 09:55 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I want to see an article saying the Pacers are focusing 66% of their time towards offense.
Old 10-05-05, 10:11 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godkid1
finally! they realize spurs are on to something! let's see how they come at us with our own style, because one week of training camp isnt gonna teach them all we know. if teams are to succeed, this will be a learning season for many - take the suns as an example, or mavs.
Dude. This is Phil Jackson.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-05-05, 10:25 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

I thought the Laker teams of Shag, Kobe and Phil played and won because of a tough defense. The Bulls defensive intensity during the Jordan years really led the way to their championships. Seems to me almost every NBA champion has been able to play great defense on their way to the title. The bad boy pistons, The 80's celtics and Lakers and so on and on. It's nothing new, the key is how well a team is committed to playing the kind of defense that drains everyone on both teams and yet still be able to make the plays to win. Right now, I'd say the Pistons and Spurs have that edge on everyone.
Old 10-05-05, 10:35 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Every team that has won Championships in this league has played some sort of D ....

But I think the last couple years have shown you do not need that 1/2 Great player and a good cast of players around him.....Like the Bulls , Lakers and Rockets did for there runs.

But the Pistons and Spurs have shown that a sound team that plays D every time down the court can play with any team in the NBA.

Everyone can say they will play D...only a few teams like the Spurs and Piston "can" play the D everyone talks about.
Brooklyn's #1 Spurs fan!!!
Old 10-05-05, 10:59 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Ehhhh.....we see this every year.

Some team makes defense a "priority" at the start of the year......but halfway into the season they are back to their old ways. Last year or two it was Dallas.

While I think an average team can improve somewhat defensively, I don't think they can change colors so easily.

The Spurs, the Pistons, the Rockets......they are good defensively because defense is part of their CULTURE, not because it has just suddenly become a blackboard priority.
Old 10-05-05, 11:08 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Teams get lazy when they're tired/hurt. That's why it's hard to be defensive teams. It's much easier to just get the ball and shoot and do nothing else.
Old 10-05-05, 11:10 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjjrfan
I thought the Laker teams of Shag, Kobe and Phil played and won because of a tough defense. The Bulls defensive intensity during the Jordan years really led the way to their championships. Seems to me almost every NBA champion has been able to play great defense on their way to the title. The bad boy pistons, The 80's celtics and Lakers and so on and on. It's nothing new, the key is how well a team is committed to playing the kind of defense that drains everyone on both teams and yet still be able to make the plays to win. Right now, I'd say the Pistons and Spurs have that edge on everyone.
/agreed
Old 10-05-05, 11:16 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Well, another thing...you can't just decide you're going to play defense like the Spurs or Pistons. You need a group of athletes that are adept at it.

The Pistons length and quickness is scary. On the other hand, Minnesota hasn't had a group of outstanding defenders during these recent seasons. In 2004, when Minnesota was the number one seed in the west, it was hard to imagine that they'd beat the Lakers with defenders like Sprewell, Cassell, or Olowokandi. And of course, they didn't.