News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

View Poll Results: Which team will give us the hardest fight for the best record in the West?
Suns 46 31.94%
Lakers 4 2.78%
Rockets 80 55.56%
Kings 2 1.39%
Dallas 12 8.33%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-05, 01:10 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

What team will give us the best fight for best Record?

Which team is going to give us the hardest fight for the West's best record and why?
Brooklyn's #1 Spurs fan!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-05-05, 01:14 PM
SpursReport Team Member

This is a reach, but with the addition of Alston, I have a feeling that Houston will be the team to watch..They will give us a run for the money, but we will still overcome the oponent

"Today's game is style over substance. He's the opposite. He's substance over style. I think he's appreciated. I don't think he's adored."
Dave Odom, Duncan's college coach
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-05-05, 01:17 PM

Alot of people are high on the Rockets this year....and they have every right to be...

But I still think they are a year away form a match in the WCF with us.
Old 10-05-05, 01:23 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Rockets. I think they did a better job of adding pieces that can step in and mesh quickly, whereas Phoenix and the Kings are essentially having to change who they are. Dallas won't be as good as they were last year and the lakers don't belong in this conversation at all.
Old 10-05-05, 01:31 PM
SpursReport Team Member

OK putting the Lakers on the list and leaving out the Nuggets was pretty stupid....
Old 10-05-05, 01:52 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

i voted for the rockets. it also has to do with how well t-mac leads that team. the rockets don't have a ton of role players; they have alot of guys that expect to get big minutes. it's up to van-gundy and mcgrady to make sure everyone does their part. the kings may be a close 2nd.

i remember when webber 1st got injured. the kings (with just vlade, doug, miller, peja and mike) started the season 48-15. rahim is an upgrade from vlade and bonzi is somewhat of an ugrade than doug. but doug could pass the hell out of a ball. i think we may start off slow, but finish strong.

Last edited by magnificent; 10-05-05 at 01:56 PM.
Old 10-05-05, 01:54 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALSPURS
Alot of people are high on the Rockets this year....and they have every right to be...

Everyone keeps talking about the WCF, but if the Rockets and Spurs are as good as they look on paper, then they will most likely meet in the 2nd round. It is very likely that the 2nd best team in the conference will be a number 4 seed.
Old 10-05-05, 01:58 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by wu_aphex
OK putting the Lakers on the list and leaving out the Nuggets was pretty stupid....
Agreed. Nuggets and Rockets both look the most dangerous. Lakers are still a couple years away.
Old 10-05-05, 02:06 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALSPURS

I agree...I dont think they make the WCF
Old 10-05-05, 02:08 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I voted for Rockets. Come on, we need an in-state rivalry, who else is there?
Old 10-05-05, 02:19 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Definitely Rockets. After the Wesley/Barry trade, Rockets won as many games as the Spurs did last year.

This year's Rockets roster is simply STACKED compared to last year's.
Old 10-05-05, 02:21 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_triangle
Definitely Rockets. After the Wesley/Barry trade, Rockets won as many games as the Spurs did last year.

This year's Rockets roster is simply STACKED compared to last year's.
They won as many games as a Spurs team that lost Tim Duncan for big stretches, but your point is still well taken. The Rockets will be tough.
Old 10-05-05, 02:45 PM
SpursReport Team Member

No doubt the Rockets are formidable but they're a little long in the tooth and lack the athleticism needed to contend with our backcourt (with the exception of T-Mac). I do have to admit they're pretty deep though.

Overall, i think i'd have to go with the Suns. Offensively they're not quite what they were last year but how could they be. that was one of the best offensive teams put together in a while. Defensively they've added some talent and i'm sure they can still get out and run. With Nash and Stoudomire they've still got one of the best duos in the league--even better than Yao and T-mac in my opinion, but that's debatable.

Last edited by SpursFanatic21; 10-05-05 at 02:49 PM.
Old 10-05-05, 03:07 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Nugs should be on that list
Old 10-05-05, 03:54 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
What team will give us the best fight for best Record?
Suns, but we'll play against the Rockets in the WCF
Old 10-05-05, 04:26 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpursFanatic21
No doubt the Rockets are formidable but they're a little long in the tooth and lack the athleticism needed to contend with our backcourt (with the exception of T-Mac). I do have to admit they're pretty deep though.

Overall, i think i'd have to go with the Suns. Offensively they're not quite what they were last year but how could they be. that was one of the best offensive teams put together in a while. Defensively they've added some talent and i'm sure they can still get out and run. With Nash and Stoudomire they've still got one of the best duos in the league--even better than Yao and T-mac in my opinion, but that's debatable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab
I'll admit, that looks like a daunting starting linup. But look at your bench. All ancient. I would expect the starters to play alot of minutes this year. And Sura is no sure thing either. If they can stay healthy (ahem, DA), then yes they can be scary. But as many minutes as they are going to have to play, I don't see them actually making it over the hump. Yao is still too passive for his size, Tmac will have to share the ball even more, and Swift really never impressed unless he dunked. Alston will have to convince me that he can play in a structured system where he is the 4th or 5th option, remember he never played with Shaq (I'm sure he has my name marked as people to impress ).
Rockets have great althletes in T-Mac, Swift, Alston, Anderson, and Luther Head. In fact, 4 out of 5 starters are athletic. This year's rockets is totally different from last year's.
Old 10-05-05, 04:40 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Ok, who's the wiseguy Laker fan?

It can't be Magnificent, he would have voted Kings. (Edit: he voted rockets, but still, only one vote!)

Last edited by Lord Deimos; 10-05-05 at 04:53 PM.
Old 10-05-05, 04:42 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Sure they are... But i still think Parker and Ginobili will give them fits. But I agree they have a new look.
Old 10-05-05, 04:48 PM

I guess its the rockettes....Still think the spurs will smack em' though....
Old 10-05-05, 04:54 PM

I don't think anyone really will compete with the Spurs for best record. At least I don't see anyone coming within a game or two of the Spurs.

They'll win it outright by at least 5 - 7 games.

I can see Miami possibly winning over 60 games, but I can also see them splitting with both Detroit and Indiana - which hurts their chances of catching the Spurs.

Houston wil probably come closest in the West, but they'll probably be about 5 games behind.

I say NO ONE.
Old 10-05-05, 05:29 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB
I don't think anyone really will compete with the Spurs for best record. At least I don't see anyone coming within a game or two of the Spurs.

I can see Miami possibly winning over 60 games, but I can also see them splitting with both Detroit and Indiana - which hurts their chances of catching the Spurs.

Houston wil probably come closest in the West, but they'll probably be about 5 games behind.

I say NO ONE.
Call me a homer. But I think Rockets can challenge the Spurs for the best record in the west. Espeically with Duncan's ankles. It will definitely be a close race between the two. Remember, after the Wesley/Barry trade, Rockets won the same number of games last year as the Spurs.

This year's Rockets squad is vastly improved. 3 new/better starters. Improved bench. Much more athletic. A pure PG finally.

On the other hand, Miami has the advantage of being in the east. If the chemistry is not an issue, they will have an easier time getting the best record in the league.
Old 10-05-05, 05:58 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
after the Wesley/Barry trade, Rockets won the same number of games last year as the Spurs.
give it a rest. You have obviously forgotten that Duncan was hurt and missed games

SA most likely they way they were playing before Duncan went out would have ended up with the #1 seed and not the Suns IMO

The Rockets will be better...but Im sorry...their not the equal of the Spurs or ready to overtake SA
Old 10-05-05, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Call me a homer. But I think Rockets can challenge the Spurs for the best record in the west. Espeically with Duncan's ankles. It will definitely be a close race between the two. Remember, after the Wesley/Barry trade, Rockets won the same number of games last year as the Spurs.

This year's Rockets squad is vastly improved. 3 new/better starters. Improved bench. Much more athletic. A pure PG finally.

On the other hand, Miami has the advantage of being in the east. If the chemistry is not an issue, they will have an easier time getting the best record in the league.
The ankles were last year.

Should we forever question a players durability if he misses a few games with an injury? This in't Grant Hill or Bill Walton we're talking about!

With Duncan likely playing less minutes with a loaded Spurs roster, I don't see the ankles being an ongoing problem.

It's funny that you mention that the Rockets won the same amount of games as the Spurs did after the Wesley/Barry trade. But I think you're ignoring a certain part of that situation.

Do you honestly think the Rockets would have won the same amount of games as the Spurs had Duncan played those particular games he missed?

I don't.

Rockets will be much better - but I don't see them at that Spurs level just yet.
Old 10-05-05, 06:07 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:

Do you honestly think the Rockets would have won the same amount of games as the Spurs had Duncan played those particular games he missed?

I don't.

Rockets will be much better - but I don't see them at that Spurs level just yet.
I thought injuries were just part of the game.
Old 10-05-05, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
I thought injuries were just part of the game.
They are. But I'm not gonna cry and moan about them til the cows come home like some little child making excuses.

I'm not crying about our records and #1 seeds that we could have won had Duncan not been injured.

Who cares?

Despite all of that stuff - the Spurs STILL won their division title, they STILL beat the supposed hottest team in the NBA (Denver), they STILL beat the team that was supposed to match up best with them (Seattle), they still beat the team with the best record (Suns) and they STILL beat the NBA Champions (Pistons) to win their 3rd NBA Championship.

That's the difference between putting up and shutting up.
Old 10-05-05, 06:18 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzG
give it a rest. You have obviously forgotten that Duncan was hurt and missed games

SA most likely they way they were playing before Duncan went out would have ended up with the #1 seed and not the Suns IMO

The Rockets will be better...but Im sorry...their not the equal of the Spurs or ready to overtake SA
No I haven't forgotten. Duncan DID miss some games near the end of the season. Rockets DID vastly improved their rosters in the summer. Noticing both facts, I conclude that Rockets can win similar number of games as the Spurs this season.

If I hadn't noticed Duncan's injuries, I would have concluded that Rockets would take the #1 seed in the west out right.
Old 10-05-05, 06:23 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
I'm not gonna cry and moan about them til the cows come home like some little child

Old 10-05-05, 06:28 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I voted Rockets, but they are not enough team to beat us.
Old 10-05-05, 06:49 PM
SpursReport Team Member

The playoffs are truly what matters and I think the Spurs will have an easier time reaching the Finals than anyone in the East. The Pacers, Heat, and Pistons are all so evenly matched and tough that they will be dealing with some serious fatigue.
Old 10-05-05, 11:29 PM

I say by the end of the year...

The Lakers have a better record then the Nuggs...

Anyone want to take me up on it?

We will see how stupid that sounds in May when the final standings are.
Old 10-06-05, 01:36 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:

I say NO ONE.

Quote:
No I haven't forgotten. Duncan DID miss some games near the end of the season. Rockets DID vastly improved their rosters in the summer. Noticing both facts, I conclude that Rockets can win similar number of games as the Spurs this season.

If I hadn't noticed Duncan's injuries, I would have concluded that Rockets would take the #1 seed in the west out right.
Ya the rockets did improve there rosters this summer, But the spurs improved there roster a lot more by picking up finley, NVE, and Oberto.
Old 10-06-05, 08:10 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
The Lakers have a better record then the Nuggs...

Anyone want to take me up on it?
I think the Lakers will have a great season if they win 40 games...you think the Nugs wont match that?
Old 10-06-05, 01:30 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Kings, but 4 games behind.
Old 10-06-05, 02:14 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I say who's says we won't have to fight someone else for the best record....Spurs are guaranteed squat right now, they may be the favorites, but it's like we've already won the WC and the finals so just start in Nov. Let's not count of chickens before our eggs hatch for the lack of a better term...who's to say the Spurs don't have trouble intergrating their new pieces right off the bat or have probelms getting into a groove, I don't think it will happen, but it's not far fetched. Let's just hope we play as well as last year, no one gets hurt and we are well rested and positioned for the playoffs......
Old 10-06-05, 02:23 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

If the lakers are even close to the top record in the west I'll eat horse manure for breakfast, lunch and dinner for a month.
Old 10-06-05, 02:23 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I´m going with the Suns.
Old 10-06-05, 08:03 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg06
If the lakers are even close to the top record in the west I'll eat horse manure for breakfast, lunch and dinner for a month.
Well, i'll take your word. And i have very good memory.
Old 10-07-05, 06:22 AM
Banned

What! Only four people said the lakers so far. That's crazy. The lakers will win it all.