News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-05, 07:06 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Eddy Curry trade player mmovement(Kerr Article)

The Knicks get:
Eddy Curry
Antonio Davis

The Bulls get:
Tim Thomas
Michael Sweetney
Jermaine Jackson

Risk management
By Steve Kerr, Yahoo! Sports
October 3, 2005

Steve Kerr
Yahoo! Sports Exclusive
The Chicago Bulls' proposed trade of Eddy Curry to the New York Knicks on Monday was a move that general manager John Paxson didn't want to make, but ultimately had to make.

With Curry facing a potentially life threatening heart condition, Paxson made every effort to resolve the medical issues at hand. But when Curry refused to take a DNA test that apparently would have given Paxson and the Bulls the answers they needed, they were forced to deal their starting center to New York.

The Knicks, for their part, are apparently convinced Curry will be fine. The sign-and-trade deal will give the young center an estimated $60 million to $70 million over six years. If Curry does indeed stay healthy, he could be the young player New York so desperately needs. He has the potential to be one of the league's best low-post players – a center who can change the game entirely by forcing double teams and dominating the lane.

The troubling aspect of this deal, of course, is that both the Knicks and Curry appear willing to neglect the DNA test to get what they want. New York gets a starting center, while Curry receives a huge contract. With the tragic memories of Reggie Lewis and Hank Gathers still vivid for so many of us, it's scary to think of Curry taking the floor if he is indeed at risk of a heart attack. It should be in everyone's best interests – especially Curry's – to take the test.

The Bulls, for their part, offered Curry $400,000 a year for 50 years if he failed the test – basically insuring him financial security in a worst-case scenario. But Curry refused and forced Paxson's hand, getting the big contract he wanted and landing a spot in the Knicks' lineup.

ADVERTISEMENT
Had Curry taken the test and passed it, Paxson would have signed him to a long-term deal and the Bulls would have been a potential upper-echelon NBA team for years to come. But a frustrated Paxson did the right thing, refusing to be responsible for Curry's health without complete medical testing and assurances that the heart problem was not life threatening.

Paxson also had to answer to his owners, who weren't about to commit so much money to Curry without assurances of their own. The Knicks, who have never been shy about spending money, are apparently willing to take that chance.

In return for Curry, the Bulls will receive Tim Thomas, Mike Sweetney, Jermaine Jackson and draft picks. Rumors are that Antonio Davis, who is part of the package to New York, will be subsequently released and re-signed by Chicago to a minimum deal. The Bulls will have major salary-cap space next summer as a result of the trade. Of course, they'd rather have a healthy Curry, but at the end of a frustrating process, dealing Curry was about all Paxson could do.

Hopefully, Curry and the Knicks know what they're doing, and the big man will have a great career – and more importantly – live a long, productive life. But it seems awfully dangerous to gamble on that without taking every precautionary measure.

Steve Kerr is Yahoo! Sports' NBA analyst. Send him a question or comment for potential use in a future column or webcast.

Updated on Tuesday, Oct 4, 2005 1:23 am EDT

Email to a Friend | View Popular

Last edited by Duncan=God; 10-04-05 at 07:09 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-04-05, 07:17 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

The Bulls willingness to insure Curry even if he FAILED the test and their immediate offer to buy out the contract of Jason Williams just shows how much of a class organization they are going to be under Paxson.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-04-05, 07:52 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Why would anyone assume that Curry hasn't taken the DNA test?

Wouldn't it be easier to say he won't take the test rather than just Refusing to

Disclose any Medical Info.

I'm more than sure he did take that test and results may not be so good.

The most logical thing to do in that case would be to secure his family with millions

cuz he probably can't support his new life style with $500,000/yr for the next 50yrs.

I'm not trying to be funny but, its true. He NOW has a $70 to $80mil for the next 6yrs

and should his heart begins to show signs of irregurality, he will retire a millionaire.

Do y'all really think he will play? NO!!!!

If his heart is not alright and he knows it I'd say he will retire within a few months.
Old 10-04-05, 07:54 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff
The Bulls willingness to insure Curry even if he FAILED the test and their immediate offer to buy out the contract of Jason Williams just shows how much of a class organization they are going to be under Paxson.
class=smart with money? the present value of $400k/year x 50 years is $8.1 million (4.32% discount rate, same as fed 30 guaranteed bonds). curry will get that in one year with the knicks.

Dave McNulla
Spurs Fan

Tweet Me
Old 10-04-05, 09:27 PM
SpursReport Team Member

New York is just plain STUPID............I fill so sorry for Spike Lee..........NOT....
Old 10-04-05, 09:36 PM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffedmushroomz
Why would anyone assume that Curry hasn't taken the DNA test?

Wouldn't it be easier to say he won't take the test rather than just Refusing to

Disclose any Medical Info.

I'm more than sure he did take that test and results may not be so good.

The most logical thing to do in that case would be to secure his family with millions

cuz he probably can't support his new life style with $500,000/yr for the next 50yrs.

I'm not trying to be funny but, its true. He NOW has a $70 to $80mil for the next 6yrs

and should his heart begins to show signs of irregurality, he will retire a millionaire.

Do y'all really think he will play? NO!!!!

If his heart is not alright and he knows it I'd say he will retire within a few months.
What is really more discouraging is that knowing he has a problem he will play anyway, thinking it's no big deal. I don't remember Gaithers situation, but in Lewis's case he had a really scary moment where he collapsed on the floor and survived, yet he chose to try and come back and the next time he collapased it was permanent. You'd hope the guy will do the smart thing if not the right thing, but with so many athletes who take steroids and think they are invincible you just don't know.
Old 10-04-05, 10:38 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McNulla
class=smart with money? the present value of $400k/year x 50 years is $8.1 million (4.32% discount rate, same as fed 30 guaranteed bonds). curry will get that in one year with the knicks.
I thought that was just some sort of insurance policy? A team can't have a player under contract for 50 years, I would think. I assumed he would have some type of contract on top of it.
Old 10-06-05, 12:35 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Good job by the Bulls!
Curry is not worth the risk.